Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1949 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
19. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 01:50 Flatline

I'd probably give it a 6, maybe a 6.5. It was a solid shooter, the driving levels were fun, but after that, well... It didn't do anything to make itself special in FPS market. Competent but uninspired.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
72. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 22, 2013, 01:47 Flatline

I have a gut feeling that Valve has no f*cking clue where to go with the Half-Life plot any more. It's veered off in weird directions, and they keep adding elements to the metaplot, like bringing Portal into the mix.  

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
77. Re: Roberts: Nov 22, 2013, 01:42 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 06:05:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 00:52:
Um Crysis came out AFTER Far Cry 2, and Far Cry 2 used a modifed Far Cry 1 engine and was NOT done by Crytek. Far Cry 2's only 'cool' thing was setting stuff on fire. Beyond the countless linear roads, I wouldn't put it up against Crysis 1 or 2.
Crysis was released in November 2007; Far Cry 2 was released in October 2008. FC2 was built on the Dunia engine, which was a heavily modified version of the Far Cry engine (they really didn't have much in common). And I never implied it was made by Crytek, in fact it's because it wasn't that it was actually a decent game.

Ah yes, enemies spawning out of the clear blue in your line of sight, walking 50 yards past a checkpoint you cleared out, turning around, and walking back only to be attacked again, repetitive missions that involved 45 minutes of driving through seventeen billion hostile checkpoints (then doing the mission and driving back through the 17 billion hostile checkpoints that repopulated), enemies that could snipe you with a pistol that doesn't work from 800 yards away through foliage so you'd drop dead from unseen enemies, The game enhancing "malaria" where you can only take your medicine to avoid malaria when you're suffering from it, doing missions for factions but being told that the factions wouldn't ever be friendly towards you because you were working "in secret" because they couldn't be bothered to program dynamic IFF logic...

*Such* a decent game!

What made FC3 better than FC2? Pacing.

News Comments > Telltale's Game of Thrones Game?
11. Re: Telltale's Game of Thrones Game? Nov 22, 2013, 01:37 Flatline

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 22:32:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 22:16:
A chapter about incest with Cersei or GTFO!

Press enter to....errr uhm...nevermind...

Considering the QTE combat... that'd make that scene interesting to say the least.

I hope that they don't focus on any of the major players. I'd be thrilled to play someone important in a smaller noble house, or a nobody/bannerman/lord in one of the major houses.

There's enough going on and enough in the world to not have all the focus on the main plot/main characters. Sure if they're in the story that's fine, but I don't want it to orbit around them.

News Comments > Telltale's Game of Thrones Game?
10. Re: Telltale's Game of Thrones Game? Nov 22, 2013, 01:31 Flatline

Simon Says wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 01:15:
Please let it be a Total War killer, PLEASE!

Huh? Telltale makes adventure games...

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep Released
8. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep Released Nov 21, 2013, 23:47 Flatline

One of the things I'll never forgive Jackson for was the whole phrase "free peoples of middle earth".

For some reason the phrase just sounds *terrible* to me

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January
10. Re: Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January Nov 19, 2013, 15:08 Flatline

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 13:28:
woooooooooh, new campaign.

Berlin though (don't mention the war!)

Germany has a huge Shadowrun fanbase. Berlin has also always been a hotspot in the setting, so it really was a no-brainer. During the kickstarter we got to vote on which city we wanted to introduce and Berlin stomped the competition.

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
37. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 16:44 Flatline

El Pit wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 16:26:
Okay, so I installed X3: Terran Conflict and am actually enjoying it. I'm only a couple of hours in (took the merchant approach), and it's fun.

I enjoyed the hell out of it too. I need to get back to my game some day.

32. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 15:54 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 15:46:
Flatline wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:37:
I hate to say it, but you know how the new xbone touts cloud computing as integral for it's games? It seems like X is exactly the type of game that could benefit from off-loading a lot of background calculations.

TEH CLOUD MAJICS CAN FIX MUH X-RETBIRH?????!

BUT WILL IT HAVE TEH POWER OF FOUR ABLION PRLEDUES?

In all seriousness, if Azure actually did what Microsoft pretends it does, then yes, something like X or Star Citizen could benefit from it, MAYBE. However, since their cloud is just a large cluster of dedicated servers that really doesn't do anything like it...

Well, yes, you'd need to program the servers. But the idea is that they're there and easy to integrate into the gaming platform. And you don't have to use Azure either.

27. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 14:37 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:08:
Slashman wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 10:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 10:46:
I played now for 20 hours and the game is a joke. There is absolutely no motivation to build anything because it never integrates into a real AI economy. Everything is even more fake and smoke and mirrors than before.

The thing is that in X3, what was 'fake' were the origin of NPC ships. They didn't come from shipyards. Factories simply spawned freighters out of thin air, and military ships were the same. Everything else required resources to build so that the economy made sense. Even though sometimes that created some annoying shortages, you could take care of that by supplying the factories with what they needed. Sometimes competing freighters would beat you to it. It was still more real than Rebirth.

Yep, this part made X3 extremely complex sometimes, because you couldn't easily fix stage 2 product shortages yourself unless you put into it gigantic efforts.

But in X3 as well as in Rebirth the real problem is and remains, that, aside from scripted plot, you are not facing a dynamic emergent threat that you have to help races respond to, or hinder them in their efforts to respond.

Something that would give your factories real value would be if races (or companies) came to you with requests and fulfilling them had an tangible effect on the world and simulation. But this doesn't happen, and the previews of Rebirth indicated that it would.

In effect, aside from the silly plot with horrible writing, there is nothing going on in this sandbox. If this is what is called a "Remake of X3" then I gotta say, no, they made exactly the same game, just faster paced and with worse design choices. In fact, X3 TC with mods that add emergent behavior for races will offer you a more emergent and interesting challenge. (Though of course, ships still spawn out of nowhere...)

Maybe it's just me but I really hoped this game would have an emergent economic simulation. Sort of frontier style, you break into new sectors unexplored, inhabited by strange new species. You build factories with your stuff and this builds up cultural influence etc... Or you help war efforts by selling ships to 1 race while selling weapons to the other race, the possibilities could have been endless. And this game needed a real end-game. A proper fluid goal that you could follow if you wanted. Like "Make the most profit out of a conflict" or "sell the most consumer products" or "Build up a planetary colony to a dominant power".

But it seems to me that somewhere in-between making X: Rebirth they got scared and made X3.5 , it is certainly NOT a new and unique game.

I hate to say it, but you know how the new xbone touts cloud computing as integral for it's games? It seems like X is exactly the type of game that could benefit from off-loading a lot of background calculations.

Think about it. The average economy in X3 consists of like 10,000 individual data points all influencing each other on a basic, but logical system of supply and demand. That requires system resources. Sure, space sim games don't use as many resources due to the relatively low poly count and the fact that you're flying around in a skybox, but still, a game like X could really stand to use a really robust database. Even more, the latency involved in cloud computing wouldn't matter quite so much in X since the economic updates can only be reacted to at more or less human speeds, so it's very lag tolerant. Upkeep costs aside, you could do some pretty astounding things with a really good back end server driving an X-style economy. You could easily get an emergent economy, and easily produce emergent faction behavior if you had a good enough team of programmers.

Actually, you probably wouldn't even necessarily need the cloud. I could see a scenario where you could either subscribe for a low fee to the cloud to process your game/galaxy, or you could download that database and run it on a dedicated computer on your network if you were grognard enough. I have an 8 core virtual server sitting in my bedroom for study purposes that aside from a slow disk I/O, would make an awesome database server if I repurposed it, and I spent like 500 bucks on it.

Publish an installation package for windows, Linux, and a VM image of your back end server software so that you can either host it locally, host it on your own cloud service, or pay a nominal fee (5 bucks a month or whatever) to tap into the official cloud services. Or sell the pack as an addon. Or something.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
16. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 17, 2013, 17:28 Flatline

On a completely different note, the analysis of why the xbox failed in Japan is interesting and amusing.

Why is it amusing? Because fast-forward to the PS3/360 generation. All those rock star Japanese developers, while still big in Japan, can't make many waves in the international market any more. They're admitting that they never evolved with the rest of the market, because they thought Japan *was* the market, and now JRPGs are to put it politely more or less niche.

And I guess they're trying to learn, but they are ice-skating uphill. My friend, who was a Final Fantasy 11 addict (and I use that term intentionally, he spend 3 YEARS inside the game, there was a timer, I saw it) burned out on FF14 in like 2 months and went back to Minecraft. Final Fantasy games aside, I'm bored to shit with the tropes of JRPGs, the mechanics are either usually solid but ancient and repetitive or different and kind of broken.

Anyway, it's funny that so much seemed to ride on the XBox getting into Japan and now it's not nearly as important it seems like.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
14. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 17, 2013, 17:15 Flatline

Axis wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 13:35:
Of all these "LAUNCH TITLES" only 4, yes 4, yes ONLY 4 (and one is a demothing) are actually PS4 launch titles. All the others are rehashes of games that have been released.

That's hilarious, and the Wii U got cremated and they had more than the PS4...

Good job Sony, I'm sure everyone will enjoy their sub-par PC called the PS4...

Dude that's what *most* launch cycles look like for the first 6 months or so. You get a couple blockbuster games and the rest are up-cycled ports.

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
19. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 17:09 Flatline

Bumpy wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 16:34:
Hope they are using a new engine and not continuing to milk the current one.

I'd put money down that they used an iteration of the Skyrim engine.

I'm okay with this though.

And I preferred New Vegas to FO3 infinitely once you actually got *into* the game. It didn't pick up for me until I hit Novac.

News Comments > Endless Space Free Add-on
1. Re: Endless Space Free Add-on Nov 15, 2013, 18:12 Flatline

Kudos for all these free addons, but I went back and reinstalled the game the other night and there's just not enough for me to stay interested in.  

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
56. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 17:58 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:42:
Flatline wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:13:
Even if there was a QTE say after a mission is done (99% of game play was classic Thief) and it finished off a chapter and then a cinematic with QTE's kicked in, that isn't sacrificing Thief core game play at all imo. It actually could enhance the overall experience if done right.

No that would be catagoric shit. Because you've just spent the last hour playing a game focused in that scenario on cunning, patience, and ingenuity and suddenly to proceed or to even have all your fucking progress not thrown in the trash you have to play Guitar Hero for 30 seconds otherwise fuck you do it again.

In no way could that enhance gameplay. It is bad game design. Period. It is bad because it has nothing to do with the rest of the gameplay experience, it is not a natural or frequent part of gameplay, and it punishes players who have the skill to excel in the rest of the game but may suck at QTEs, unless the designers make the QTE window so large that it no longer is a challenge but merely a task that you have to perform in order for your work in the previous level to count.

Well good news for you (perhaps me to) it has been taken out, rejoice!

Actually it's doubtful that anyone would put in the QTE of your scenario choice of something that would be "not bad and possibly beneficial". Okay maybe those devs that made that terrible biker game that actually was incomplete, but beyond that you'd be hard pressed.

In the end I don't give a shit about the game because I have no interest in playing it, QTEs or no QTEs. But you were white-knighting QTEs pretty hard.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
63. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 15, 2013, 17:55 Flatline

Harlequin wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:25:
"dozens of hours" of gameplay? ok then... I am going to back away real slow.. tell tale sign of a half arsed, amateur or/and incomplete game.

Odds are that's the "main" story line.

52. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 17:25 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:13:
Even if there was a QTE say after a mission is done (99% of game play was classic Thief) and it finished off a chapter and then a cinematic with QTE's kicked in, that isn't sacrificing Thief core game play at all imo. It actually could enhance the overall experience if done right.

No that would be catagoric shit. Because you've just spent the last hour playing a game focused in that scenario on cunning, patience, and ingenuity and suddenly to proceed or to even have all your fucking progress not thrown in the trash you have to play Guitar Hero for 30 seconds otherwise fuck you do it again.

In no way could that enhance gameplay. It is bad game design. Period. It is bad because it has nothing to do with the rest of the gameplay experience, it is not a natural or frequent part of gameplay, and it punishes players who have the skill to excel in the rest of the game but may suck at QTEs, unless the designers make the QTE window so large that it no longer is a challenge but merely a task that you have to perform in order for your work in the previous level to count.

50. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 17:19 Flatline

Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:00:
on knowing better: well, if what I took away from the party was what I read over many hundred pages at ttlg, I got the impression that:

TDP was perfect. So, why bother to add to it?
T:TMA wasn't perfect, but as was made by LG, is beyond reproach.
TDS sh*t!
TH(four)F all out apoplexy.

Actually TDP, while having a fun story, had those terrible missions where you had to kill zombies and dinosaurs and shit. Those parts of the game are generally panned, and if you notice, have not really been revisited in the Thief series in like... ever.

TMA was probably the best from gameplay terms, and I actually did not *hate* TDS so much as it felt completely uninspired for me except for in certain areas like the haunted mission (that everyone things is a masterpiece). Oh and TDS had you wandering around on that fucking plague ship with zombies so they had to go back to the parts that people hated.

As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

And as for Fallout 3, I liked it, it was fun, but it's always been Elder Scrolls with Guns for me more than Fallout.

48. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 17:12 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 12:09:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:40:
What gets me is the hatred for QTE's here

You broke the sentence in two and took it totally out of context.

"What gets me is the hatred for QTE's here, but there is a low level love of adventure games here."

QTE's are okay in a certain context with limited usage IF AND ONLY IF they contribute to gameplay. Just making sure you're paying attention to the cutscene is not contributing to gameplay.

Plus, this game's QTE's sound like the absolute worst kind of QTE: the sporradic one without warning. You know, where you have like 4 QTEs during the game and zero warning that they're going to happen and then they never happen again.

The only thing worse is the Devil May Cry cutscene QTEs. You know, where you flip out and kill everyone in the room and do shit that *would* be fucking amazing if you could actually do it in the game, but you never ever get a chance to actually do that shit in the game, it only happens in the QTE cutscene.

It's not that QTE's suck, it's that they're a very narrowly limited gameplay function and yet they're overused by several orders of magnitude. Usually it's shit like "OMG KNOCK THE DUDE OUT BEFORE HE REACTS!" QTEs or the omnipresent FPS knife fight QTE. Yay. Yawn.

One of the better QTE examples I can point to is Gears of War and their active reloading "minigame". That's a QTE in all it's glory, that can be popped off by players when they want, you can bypass it if you want (wait to reload), and if you get good at it, it sets up a rhythm and a small damage bonus if you make use of it. It's unobtrusive and well done.

News Comments > Dex Kickstarter
7. Re: Dex Kickstarter Nov 13, 2013, 17:47 Flatline

Spektr wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 11:57:
I think everyone could get a crappy game anyway. . Everyone will want to check that the game is nowhere as lame as its name before trusting them with your money.I mean come on "dex", even if the game was called etsoiehzefdfxx it wouldnt sound so bad. Well I wouldnt judge a book by its cover but if the writer can't come up with anything but a lame ass title for it I won't give a second look.

Actually it looks kind of cool for a 2d game :p

I can name off the top of my head 2 absolutely classic Cyberpunk novels that call very specific drugs "dex", and it's also used in several scifi novels I've read. As far as a name is concerned, it's genre-fitting.

1949 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo