Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2395 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M
5. Re: Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M Jan 28, 2015, 11:18 Flatline

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:30:
Is there a special salute that's required for "the Chairman"?

President Scroob, SALUTE!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
768. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 27, 2015, 10:45 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 20:53:
If they are going that route, they should have something similar to Tribes 2.

Target a player, press 'v', a quick context menu opens with different types of communication options, then submenus making the comm more specific. In the end, you press v,p,d and you send a message, "Drop your cargo!" Or, v,g,s,s "Shazbot!" as they warp away with 10% health.

I think pirates have it especially rough because by the time they type something simple the target's frameshift drive is 90% charged.

I agree. It wouldn't cost that much to do some voice recording, and apparently you choose the gender of your commander anyway in one of the weird submenus for... who knows what.

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
14. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 15:36 Flatline

G2A has always been of nebulous legality anyway hasn't it?  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
37. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 15:33 Flatline

I wonder if it's still as hard to mod as the original Homeworld. That was a big downer.

I remember the Babylon 5 mod though. That was kind of all kinds of awesome.

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
14. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 15:29 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:31:
This show was interesting for a season or two but it jumped the shark long ago. This is just silly now. Then again, Discovery is turning into a steaming pile of crap like A&E did.

Agreed. Having it as a full on series is what killed it. Your ideas for myths burn out too fast.

2 hour specials or a mini series a couple times a year would have prolonged the show and made it more of an event.

Then there's stuff that they just like get wrong. Like someone asked if it was possible to build a gunpowder-powered engine. So they tried to run like a 2 cylinder engine with gunpowder. When it didn't work they claimed it was busted.

But I'm sitting there wondering if they remember shooting off fully automatic weapons. Because that's a gunpowder-powered engine. Put an articulated arm on the bolt as it blows back and you can turn that mechanical energy into electricity or anything else. As long as you have "fuel" (read: bullets) the engine works until it overheats and melts.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
19. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 25, 2015, 17:00 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 13:46:
She didn't"invent" issues. Maybe they were new to you but they were discussed before she got involved.

Funny, that's my argument for why she's irrelevant. Maybe 400k for a cliffsnotes of gaming history is a good deal though?

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
18. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 25, 2015, 16:59 Flatline

jimnms wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 23:25:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:15:
From the whining on blues lately you'd think straight white males were the victims.

How dare anybody complain about rape/death threats, or discuss their viewpoint on a video game!?!

Are you new to the internet? Everyone gets rape/death threats when they discuss their point of view on pretty much anything.

True story, I was threatened by death and dismemberment and my family being killed by someone who wrote a blog post that I skewered on another site... the article was about board games.

I took his threats about as seriously as I took his blog post: I posted the threats publicly and laughed my ass off.

But I guess that's one of the differences between men and women? Women take all death threats 100% seriously?

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
24. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 16:28 Flatline

yuastnav wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 15:11:
He cannot stretch the development of the game out indefinitely, or else something similar that happened to Duke Nukem Forever will happen, too.

If I remember correctly (and the early E3 trailers will probably confirm that) it was supposed to use the Unreal (Tournament) engine but since the engine was old they decided to scrap the project and redo it.

So Star Citizen will have to limitations.
1. At some point the tech of the game will get old, be it because of advancements in graphics, user interface (i.e. how players expect a game should handle).
2. The game is limited by the available tech. You cannot have a huge world with millions of dynamically changeable parts because the computation and memory restrictions won't allow it.

I just don't get how they think they can get away with such a project. Maybe the programmers didn't tell Roberts that what he wants is impossible and hope that it will just become abandonware at some point? Or maybe it will have to be scaled down at some point.

I always heard that SC was going to use Crysis as the game engine. Never heard about the UT engine being used.

But even so, they're basically having to rewrite most of it since the Crysis engine isn't meant to render entire solar systems at once.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong $1M Mini-Campaign Goal
5. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong $1M Mini-Campaign Goal Jan 24, 2015, 19:59 Flatline

Saboth wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 18:04:
I just finished up the original, "Shadowrun Returns" today. I wasn't too impressed. The story wasn't great, combat was kind of tedious, and the game felt more like a point and click murder mystery adventure with a few fights thrown in than something resembling X-Com. Limited money, limited upgrades, items, gear, etc. I've heard the Dragonfall game is superior, so I might pick that up on the next sale.

Vastly superior. Dead Man's Switch was okay for what it was- an introduction to the editor. The whole intent of SR was to make it a platform to distribute fan content on.

However that being said if the core gameplay was boring to you Dragonfall might not be better. It's essentially the same game.

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
16. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 24, 2015, 02:39 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 00:59:
Flatline wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 00:20:
Rebellion sucked. It was a clunky galactic grand strategy/4x game that kind of failed on all accounts.

Empire at War was better. But not by a terrible lot. The ground game still sucked.

I also noticed that the original star wars RTS game that had the "metal" version of the imperial march hasn't been released yet. Probably a good thing. Unbalanced (you gained resources by doing better than your opponent in battle, which basically led to run-away victories), crappy graphics, and overall a boring game.

Christ I played all of these.

I rather liked the 'metal'-mix versions of the classic soundtrack. In fact, I have them all as mp3's on my hard drive and listen to them occasionally. Once you get over the whole 'they raped my childhood'-bit, maybe then you can relax and actually enjoy a little experimentation. It really rather fit the game somewhat and I remember reading an article with the sound designer that did the remixes and you could tell that he thought very highly of John Williams' score and had a lot of respect for him and the music. The actual game, Force Commander was...a mess, especially at launch. A bug-ridden mess that most wrote off almost immediately. The gaming review media swarmed on it like vultures and gave it a reputation I feel was undeserved. It was flawed, no doubt, but it wasn't unplayable (after being patched, anyway). And it did have some nice insight into the galactic civil war that we hadn't seen up until that point. In the movies, books and games, we knew about the war, the major turning point and the aftermath but never really got a good look at what happened DURING it. This game was meant to shed light on that.

=-Rigs-=

Force Commander that was it thank you.

Incidentally... I never criticized the soundtrack. I put "metal" in quotes because while it had guitar distortion it isn't what I'd call metal. I think I still have the soundtrack echoing around my music collection too.

The game was mediocre though. You're right it had a few interesting points to it but as a game it was meh. And I finished it.

That being said, you know what I'd love to see as a Star Wars planetary RTS? The Company of Heroes model of gameplay. It seems more suited to it than traditional base building. One side is usually entrenched and the other side attacks and is more mobile.

Anyway ground-based combat in Star Wars has always been kind of weak and uninteresting compared to the space based battles in my experience.

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
11. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 24, 2015, 00:20 Flatline

Rebellion sucked. It was a clunky galactic grand strategy/4x game that kind of failed on all accounts.

Empire at War was better. But not by a terrible lot. The ground game still sucked.

I also noticed that the original star wars RTS game that had the "metal" version of the imperial march hasn't been released yet. Probably a good thing. Unbalanced (you gained resources by doing better than your opponent in battle, which basically led to run-away victories), crappy graphics, and overall a boring game.

Christ I played all of these.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 23, 2015, 12:42 Flatline

100% of data breeches are preventable. Turn the computer off and lock it in a safe.  

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
49. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 13:39 Flatline

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 13:02:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:59:
There's Artemis Bridge Simulator. The way it works, as far as I can tell, is to purposely make things complicated by not giving the captain (or anyone) access to all the readouts and controls. One guy could do everything, if the game let him/her, but it doesn't so you get to LARP around with your pals asking Spock for sensor readings and Scotty for more power.

EDIT: I've wondered the same thing before, though. When I ask what people expect a claw operator to actually do when there's no clawing to be done, they assure me it would be awesome. Whatever. It's their dream, not mine.

Oh wow, I didn't know that had made it to steam. Seen a few videos of that one, and it's always cool to watch folks "play" it.

It is a lot of fun. Comms is meh but it's an interesting team building exercise.

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
37. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 12:00 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:47:
Flatline wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:39:
If memory serves you could have players in turrets in your YT-2000 in x-wing alliance.

And it sucked. you're trying to shoot the bad guys and the f*cking ship is looping and spinning and you have like zero frame of reference as to what the ship is about to do.

I don't remember that being in Alliance, but I've played a few games where one guy is driving and the other is in the turret (Borderlands readily comes to mind), and it's practically impossible to hit anything.

In a destroyer type vessel, this would be mitigated since it simply can't turn that quickly, but even then it would be boring as hell to be in a turret. You could take controls of turrets in X3 and you just sit there waiting for that 2 seconds that an enemy flies into view. It's not even remotely interesting.

Exactly. It's not an ability that I particularly want because I've used it before and it's meh.

I guess you could be a damage control team in FPS, but even then "hold E to repair system" is going to be boring. Even a minigame like hacking in Bioshock is going to get old fast.

We'll see.

29. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 11:40 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:27:
I just want to fly some crazy space destroyer with my buddies manning various stations as if we were playing some weird Star Trek/Star Wars hybrid

Yeah, exactly. It SOUNDS really cool, but what are those buddies manning various stations actually doing?

Lost in the all the cool TNG episodes was the fact that if Data wasn't an Android, he'd have been bored out of his mind sitting at that Ops station.

If they rip off Artemis Bridge Simulator that might work okay. Especially for larger ships.

28. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 11:39 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:21:
Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:17:
Has any "space game" ever done multiplayer crews before? (I'm not sure if EVE has them). It's always seemed cool in theory, but when you start thinking about what people would actually be doing, it kind of falls apart quickly, I'd think.

It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out, gameplay-wise.
Not MP as in 2 person flies the same ship but groups of players in a group with different ships jumping from system to system or fighting in a coordinated attack has been done before.
Eve and before eve Earth and Beyond was another space game like that, which I've spent countless hours playing.
This multi crew stuff sounds interesting but not sure how well it will work in practice.

If memory serves you could have players in turrets in your YT-2000 in x-wing alliance.

And it sucked. you're trying to shoot the bad guys and the f*cking ship is looping and spinning and you have like zero frame of reference as to what the ship is about to do.

The spongy/latency BS of SC might actually pay off in that case. If there's a fraction of a second between input and ship response, you could put like a warning system into the HUD of the turret.

19. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 11:14 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:31:
Looks like 2015 is going to be a busy year for SC.
I really don't care about the MP stuff either but I am looking forward to the single player game.

By the way does Areana Commander runs smooth for everyone?
I fired it up last night and didn't get to fly around because it froze up on me on the AC selection screen but I could walk around in the hangar and it ran super slow. I must of had single digit frame rate with medium details on.
So I am just wondering if the dogfihting part of AC runs any better than the hangar?
Also had some texture loading issues, flickering etc.

I can't get AC to *download*.

Well I can, but every time it tries to patch it corrupts my entire install and I have to redownload 40+ gigs of data.

I'll see if Squadron 42 works at this point. I can't justify saturating my internet connection for 3 or 4 hours every time SC pushes an update.

18. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 11:12 Flatline

jomisab wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:15:
It's not about the money? Uh....right.

Couldn't help notice the amount of money they raised so far is what Notch paid for his house.

What's funny is that the last major interview CR gave he basically said MOAR MONEYS WE NEED MOAR MONIES! and now he's like "Money can't buy me love".

Dude needs to get his message straight.

News Comments > Star Citizen Public Test Universe for All Backers
41. Re: Star Citizen Public Test Universe for All Backers Jan 21, 2015, 19:13 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:31:
Parias wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 17:34:
What's the problem?
There is no problem, I just didn't understand the reason why you need alpha test patches for an alpha software.

Well considering that the Persistent Universe is a specific thing in Star Citizen they could have picked better language for their pre-alpha build server.

At least one person in the thread was mislead.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack
7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack Jan 20, 2015, 23:11 Flatline

TIL:

Apparently Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo are all in the same multiverse?

Yay?

I might come back to WoW if I get to play a protoss zealot.

"MY LIFE FOR THE HORDE"

2395 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo