Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2173 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
37. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 12:03 Flatline

NKD wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 09:06:
At the end of the day, Anita Sarkeesian wins, Gamergate wins, gaming press loses.

The one thing that I'll readily grant AS is that she knows how to spin a bad situation to her benefit pretty well.

I'm just waiting for her to get on with something substantial in her critique of video games- namely ideas on how to change the landscape to be more welcoming to women. Just saying "Stop that!" isn't enough, because you're working against industry inertia and an already heavily weighted industry. It's the same through most STEM work environments.

I don't know if she will do more than critique. Now's the time at any rate. She's gotten her message as mainstream as you can expect. She doesn't need to stay in the "proof of concept" portion of her argument any more. Now it's time for the next step.

If she takes the next step and starts trying to be an element of change instead of a critic, then more power to her. If she stays in this critic stage, well... We've had other people make names off of attacking video games. Sooner or later they look like a fool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 11:41 Flatline

Squirmer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 23:15:
Oh I thought it started because her ex boyfriend is a fucking sociopath who enabled and encouraged an extraordinary torrent of abuse directed at her.

I wouldn't say sociopath. He doesn't have the hallmarks of that particular mental illness. Nor is he I think a psychopath.

I got the feeling he's actually like an Aspie or other high level autism spectrum filtered through being an immigrant to this country. This is only based on his post and an interview that was posted with him about a week ago. His levels of social triangulation are skewed with either of those qualities, and combining them sends them skittering off into the hinterlands. I don't think he truly understands the big deal.

BUT. It happened. And it raised questions. And to pretend like it didn't happen and not ask questions is a silly expectation. Edit: In fact, to not ask questions about gaming journalism means that Quinn got put through a world of shit for no reason.

At best, if you think the kid should have kept his f*cking mouth shut, and I do, you can try to avoid talking about or involving Zoe Quinn and let her have some privacy.

There's enough shit and dirt to do this and continue questioning and grilling the gamer press. I suggest doing this. If she wants to stay in the spotlight let her claw her way back in.

33. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 11:32 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:22:
dubfanatic wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:18:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:41:
It's hard to fault her on blaming the Seattle shooting on misogyny. Early reports, and the twitter feeds of those involved, make it look like he killed a girl because she wouldn't be with him.

Yep, misogyny. Not untreated mental illness, not a product of a degenerate culture that glorifies violence and hyper-individuality. It's definitely misogyny. Rolleyes

Those are factors of both the shooting and misogyny, but shooting a woman because she won't be yours is absolutely misogyny.

Same with the California shootings. I know Milo Breitbart said it was due to video games, not misogyny, but shooting women because they won't have sex with you; having such a feeling of entitlement to their bodies that they deserve to die for not allowing you access to it, is misogyny, your eyeroll emoticon or not.

I'll agree with Beamer here on the Santa Barbara shootings- that was crazy and misogyny mixed in equal helpings. That guy truly hated women.

As for the Seattle shooting, I don't know if we know enough about that yet to make a call on it. Jilted wannabe lover turned shooter isn't necessarily misogyny. If he left some manifesto or rant behind we'll learn sooner or later.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt Announced
7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt Announced Oct 30, 2014, 15:43 Flatline

nin wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:59:
DrSquick wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:50:
Is it just really fluid combat and a good ole-fashion fun time, or am I missing something?

Pretty much that. The combat borrows a lot from RockSteady's Batman games, only with a lot more decapitation and blood. There are nights where I just roam around, getting into fights with various mobs. You can very easily get mobbed if you're in the wrong place, and using your various abilities (arrows, explosions, branding, fear) is just a blast to play.

The game wore off quickly for me. Especially the second land where basically the chiefs were immune to almost everything, so you ended up spamming the same weakness attack unique to that orc over and over again.

Once you get the ability to brand in combat, jesus forget about it. And the unlocks so you get 2 brandings every 5 hits? I stopped killing orcs and just amassed a mob that would kill the chiefs while I sat back and did nothing.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2014, 14:34 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:08:
Wow, Yahtzee really ripped The Evil Within a new one in that ZP review.

I'm still planning on getting it at 10 bucks or less though.

Yeah compared to the other reviews that I've read it makes me wonder how far through the game most of the reviewers actually got and how much was based on like youtube videos of devs playing.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $59M
28. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 29, 2014, 18:41 Flatline

clint wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 18:23:
the budget seems pretty spot on for such a large scope game (needs more really). eg, destiny, gta, assassins creed, watch dogs budgets were reported to be in the 100's of millions. Star citizens dev team is at least 200 staff atm. If Star citizen makes no more money from now on, they will be broke in a year.

Tomb raider, crysis 3, max payne 3, dead pool, cost over 100 million to make.

Except that all those games are about 10% of what's being promised.

I mean... maybe it's doable. Elite is doing a hell of a lot on like 10% of the budget (I have no clue how much/little money they ended up with or how much money was privately put up) so maybe it's possible.

19. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 29, 2014, 14:49 Flatline

Just wait until the stretch goals change to adding weapons to the FPS module instead of ships. We'll have 750 weapons by launch.  

News Comments > New Elite: Dangerous Beta
40. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 14:08 Flatline

HardCore74 wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 12:50:
Anywho, that brings up a good point. We should get up a Bluesnews E:D Crew and wreck some stuff once they get mp sorted.

What do you need to friend someone?

Cmdr Flatline42 here.

8. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 29, 2014, 13:43 Flatline

Wildone wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 13:17:
Tried 3 times get patch errors. When I do it running the ships handle like giant passenger cruisers, laggy and slow to respond to inputs. Dont tell me about ICSISICISISIC B.S...it sucks out of the box.

That sucks. I was also teasing SC

6. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 29, 2014, 13:13 Flatline

Wildone wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 12:59:
Its out, its just unplayable right now.

What are you talking about? It's playable. It's the world's most expensive hot wheels in space game ever.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 13:06 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 21:05:
theglaze wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 19:22:
It needs to reach a very large scale -- 50 to 100 million units -- before it will really be a very meaningful thing as a computing platform, so I do think it's going to take a bunch of years to get there. Maybe, I don't know -- it's hard to predict exactly -- but I don't think it's going to get to 50 or 100 million units in the next few years, right? That'll take a few cycles of the device to get there.

For perspective, it took the PS1 10 years to land 100 million units, and the PS2 was in full swing during the last 4 of those years and that console went on to sell 155 million units.

With mobile technology getting more powerful every generation, and the market growing just as quickly...I think 100m Rifts sold is totally obtainable.

Phones already have the gyroscopes needed to act as a virtual controller when wearing the headset, so throw in another bluetooth controller for the other hand and a belt mounted battery back and you'll see kids cooperatively slaying dragons in an augmented reality on the school's soccer pitch during lunch in what...6 years?

In the last three generations of highschool kids, it's gone from only a minority owning a simple phone with monochrome LCD screen to a majority with dual or quad core phones and +1080p screens

I came here to post the same quote. 100M units sure sounds like a lot. I think he'll be lucky to sell 50M in 10 years. And I appreciate he's being pretty realistic about it. But let's face it, this is a niche product, not something everyone is going to own. Even the phone version with a 1440P or 4K resolution you need the viewer for VR. The phone fits in your pocket and goes everywhere with you. The viewer, not so much.

Oculus will be more useful for business and industry I suspect. The obvious niche is video game VR, but cheap, quality stereovision equipment could seriously be useful in a lot of different applications.

We already know the new generation of fighter jets use cameras and a similar system to project total awareness around the plane (whether or not this is a good idea is another argument) but there's no reason that situational awareness couldn't be pushed to civilian applications.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 13:03 Flatline

theglaze wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 03:13:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 23:47:
but simple things like glancing at the keyboard is awkward

For racing simulators, there were some mod ideas floating around in the community for digitally inserting a keyboard into the virtual car cockpit and placing it in the same location/angle as it is in your physical seating position. The idea being you can hit a button on the steering wheel and the digital keyboard will pop up on the hud, allowing you to natural reach out and type. There's some obvious shortcomings to all this, but it's a good starting point.

I'd rather mount a selfie-quality cell phone cam angled downward into the headset and with a button press the bottom third of your view changes to a real-world camera view. Breaks immersion a little but is way better than trying to orientate a keyboard so that it matches up to your VR perspective.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 13:00 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:13:
VR - at least with a TV strapped to your face - is not the future. Wake me when we get to Snowcrash/Neuromancer.

Snowcrash used something basically identical to Oculus for it's VR. The console used lasers to project onto your goggles however.

It was more or less like Kinect merged with Oculus.

3. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 29, 2014, 12:51 Flatline

Yeah yeah that's great, another 7000 ships to be released.

Back to Elite and TIE Fighter.

30. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 11:35 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:31:
A good HOTAS can make a lot of difference and they do not have to cost an arm and leg either. I hear a lot of people likes this.
I am using a Saitek X-55 and after a week or so I've switched back to my old Logitech joystick and couldn't believe how inaccurate that was. Couldn't hit shit.

Yeah I had that Thrustmaster joystick too. It didn't quite have the features on it I'd like but it worked pretty well.

Also, which one couldn't you hit shit with the thrustmaster or the saitek?

28. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 11:22 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 06:29:
For those of you guys having trouble with combat. Just keep practicing. It takes a little time to get used to it but ones you get a hang of it, it is super satisfying to dogfight. I did have to dedicate a few nights to practice dogfighting but it's well worth it.
Things like a decent HOTAS and TrackIR will help but I have seen guys flying with kb/m and doing really well. Just practice practice practice.

Even if you are just planning to be a trader or any other non combatant in Elite, having the skills to fly your ship efficiently will benefit you on the long run. Even traders get intercepted by pirates and have to do a speed docking every ones in a while. Having the skills to out manuever and get away from pirates can make a difference between a big paycheque or a big hole in your wallet.

Yeah I still suck overall but I'm getting better. Key thing is if you're using a joystick & keyboard (My saitek HOTAS broke in my move and I can't afford to replace it, so my old logitech is standing in), you HAVE to remeber your strafing, lateral, and vertical thrusters. Otherwise you'll never be able to aim with any proficiency. Your attack opportunities are pretty narrow, especially if you don't have gimballed weapons. Getting your sights onto the enemy as fast as possible is that much more important in those situations.

27. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 11:19 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:14:
Thanks Flatline. It's a really hard thing for the devs to get right, too high a penalty and mucking around wouldn't be worthwhile, too low a penalty and there's little suspense. 20% sounds like a lot but from what you're saying, this isn't something you're going to need after a brief encounter off the shoulder of Orion.

Arithon wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 04:55:
Star Citizen is coming along in leaps and bounds, but won't be ready for some time. Elite will be out before Christmas.
So be happy about this! We have two great space sims - one now and one on the way for next year!

QFT. The comparisons are inevitable but like Wasteland and Fallout, it's very possible that we will end up with 2 great games and we all win.

Running is definitely something you want to consider, if you manage to rabbit with like 2% hull left and all your systems blown to shit, it costs a fraction of what the ship insurance would cost.

Also, before really bailing and going into the deep I'd probably stick around more populated areas and upgrade my ship significantly to improve survivability.

19. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 00:43 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 00:36:
How does death work; in practise what is needed to get back to where you where before the ill-advised combat encounter, in terms of your ship and its load out? Can you reload a saved game in single player or do these (up to date?) rules apply and again, in practise what does this mean - is the excess large enough to discourage reckless exploration?

Are there any limits on the commanders your can create, how many or how often?

One "save game" that I'm aware of, as many ships as you'd like that I'm aware of at this point.

When your ship blows up real good, you have a couple choices. You can get sent back to your basic sidewinder and keep all your credits in your bank.

You can get your ship replaced for 20% of the cost of the total loadout, minus cargo, including upgrades.

You can buy your ship back and as many of your upgrades as you want and can afford.

There are no reloads though.

As far as exploration, you'd be fairly hard pressed to kill yourself if you're smart about it, since they introduced fuel scoop refueling from stars. In the final game the galaxy will have 400 billion stars, which probably works out to at least several billion systems or at least several hundred million systems.

Pick a direction and go. If you keep going you'll hit the black and be completely on your own.

As for surviving pirates and stuff, if you can survive long enough for your jump drive to cool off you probably can jump to survive. It's doable to dump all power to the engines and rabbit at the beginning of an interdiction encounter so far.

Edit: most of those death rules don't seem to be enforced yet, but considering that Beta 3 introduced like 500 new items or fixes and is a significant step up in the game, it's not unreasonable that these systems might be tested prior to launch if they're still intended.

17. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 00:04 Flatline

Dacron wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 19:48:
I did the same combat is incredibly difficult for me. Don't bother upgrading. Save roughly 225k credits and buy a Cobra MK 3.

That changed significantly. The Anaconda is I think like 130 million creds now. Cobra Mk 3 is going to be pretty effing pricey too.

Also don't sneer at the sidewinder. I've seen fully upgraded sidewinders do some pretty insane stuff.

Edit: I adjusted to combat *way* quicker than I did with Star Citizen. Though they keep tweaking the flight phsyics so like for example I noticed that yanking back on the stick and thrusting down doesn't actually improve my turn rate quite so much any more.

16. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 00:02 Flatline

Dacron wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:55:
Slashman wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:27:
I need to know that offline play offers everything that online play does before I buy this.

I'm not really interested in Elite Multiplayer and being a slave to server lag.

It does. And your solo game is the same for multiplayer and vice versa, so your gains apply to both modes. When you choose solo you will not have PvP or any other player encounters but can play the game fully. I play it solo mostly because I'm terrible at dog fighting. If you buy a new ship, upgrade it in solo play, it will be the ship you fly in multiplayer, with same credits as solo.

I believe Solo will however take market data from the online game?

I'm not sure about that though.

2173 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo