Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1949 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Questions Answered
13. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Questions Answered Dec 19, 2013, 15:26 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 14:31:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 14:28:
Why is the font in the video made of nixie-tubes? Are the starfighters of the future using cold-war era, dead Soviet tech?

I mean, nixies are awesome and I love my nixie clock, but I wouldn't build my starfighter with the tech!

In Battlestar Gallactica, they use old tech like this instead of digital equipement in order to not get hacked by their enemies...

Sort of. Adama pointed out that there were a bunch of relatively complicated computers in Galactica, the trick is that they weren't networked, so at most the Cylons could only hack one system at a time.

In the pilot Gaeta actually mentioned to Baltar that the CNP that Baltar wrote had been compromised, but since it wasn't networked to anything no damage was done.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
23. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 17:08 Flatline

Eh. I tried going to PAX years ago before it exploded into what it is now, but I think I'm done with PA as well. I had already started souring on them for some time now (I didn't find the Dickwolves comic or merch offensive, but their reaction was), but for me the SysAdmin/Indentured Servant posting was what finally made me realize that the PA people are assholes.

"We'd rather not pay you so we can put a video game cabinet in the office. Not that you'll get to play it since you'll be working every fucking minute of your life, but hey, it'll be there to make your workspace really awesome. You can listen to us play it while you program, wire, configure, and generally maintain the entire infrastructure of our business!"

So I'm kind of done. Which sucks because some of their work from a few years back was really cool. I dug Automata way more than I should have, and have a few of their strips up on my wall from years ago. I can't deny though that if you plot out a lot of their actions they have a pretty high asshole quotient.

Eh well.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
116. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 18, 2013, 16:59 Flatline

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 06:23:
InBlack wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 04:27:
One more thing. If Roberts had said its coming "When its Done" instead of this "No Matter What" bullshit, I would be first in line to defend him. As it is, the snake oil smell is strong in that one....

People in the forums asked him to delay it and not to work on crysis multiplayer code that they will throw out after a few months ... Also they are moving to new big building this month that delay alot of things ... And Crytek also upgraded the game engine and thay had to remake alot of the stuff already done

Problem is that at this point I suspect he's sold around what, 400,000 copies of the game at a minimum assuming 100 bucks per person?

How many people are active on the forum? 5000? Even 10,000 on an insanely busy forum? And these are the people who are zealous enough to spend significant amounts of time on a forum for a game that still, over a year later, has no real in-game footage of gameplay going on.

So basing large production decisions on feedback from the forum is actually basing decisions off of 2-3% of your customer base.

That seems kind of shitty. It also seems like an out in case shit hits the fan. "Well we got overwhelming feedback on the forum!" Well, yeah, but you also have your own sales numbers, and you can see how big of the population that forum is.

Now I may be wrong. The forum may consist of 10,000 whales who dropped 10 grand each into the game. But I kind of doubt it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
97. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 18, 2013, 03:56 Flatline

While I'm not surprised, I am a little deflated.

I'm kind of amused though that Squadron 42 and the dogfighting module are being developed by 2 entirely different dev companies.

I mean... isn't that what squadron 42 is supposed to be? Dogfighting?

I'm still waiting for it to get dropped/culled out to focus on multiplayer.

I'm also waiting for the milestone that unlocks the space flight sim game inside Star Citizen. Like a full version of Freelancer playable *inside* your cockpit, at any time, in real time, where you can hit pause and peel off and go do something in-universe.

Most Kickstarters can get away with one real good delay. And usually you have to be honest about the rest of the delays that delay will cost. After that community good will goes sour fast.

So we'll see. Maybe the dogfighting module will kick our asses so hard it won't matter.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Free Holiday DLC
3. Re: PAYDAY 2 Free Holiday DLC Dec 18, 2013, 03:31 Flatline

Sadly though several patches back right when the game was getting interesting they patched or a driver was released that absolutely *killed* performance on my laptop. It's the only game that has the problem though.

Seriously, I get like 3 second lag in the game. It's unplayable.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Walking Dead: Season 2
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Walking Dead: Season 2 Dec 17, 2013, 22:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:36:
Ok, now can we get the hell on with Wolf, please and fuckin' thank you? I'm pissed it's been held up for this for so long.

THIS FUCKING THIS

Episode 2 of TWAU is months late the bastards.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
60. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 15, 2013, 18:48 Flatline

RamataKahn wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 01:53:
I can't believe people think this game is P2W, learn what it means idiots.

Oh pay2win, where paying real world money gives you a distinct in-game advantage.

Last time I checked, there were premium coolant tanks that let you attack more, longer, that you could only purchase with money. At that point, my P2W flag went off and I quit playing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Returns With No DRM
10. Re: Shadowrun Returns Returns With No DRM Dec 10, 2013, 18:42 Flatline

Beelzebud wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 17:22:
They really really need to put support for Linux on GoG... It's weird that they take such a hard line anti-DRM stance, and then ignore the only truly open platform.

Cost to benefit ratio.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 22:09 Flatline

Julio wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 20:15:
Microsoft should be giving up on Metro and Win 8 altogether. Time to move onto Windows 9, build it off Windows 7.

Apparently the only thing you think an OS is made up of is the UI.

Under the hood Win 8 is actually a significant improvement over 7. From a networking standpoint there is a buttload of features added starting with Win 8 are pretty powerful for sysadmins.

The *only* issue is the Metro UI. It was a bad experiment.

But since your average idiot user thinks UI = Operating System, Win 8 gets pretty panned.

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
136. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 16:48 Flatline

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 10:28:
nin wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 10:05:
Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 09:59:
FFS. Who CARES!?

Hopefully sane, rational people?

What is the NSA's end game with all this? To steal my credit card number? To steal my identity? No - it's to protect America. So why should I care if they track my gaming patterns, read my emails, monitor my cell phone activity? I don't need to fully understand why they need to do these things to achieve their goals for me to be okay with it. If they exposed what, how, and why they do everything that they do then it would be simple for "terrorists" to circumvent the NSA's methods. I would rather they be PROACTIVE in their efforts (scour everyone's data for specific patterns) so they can stop events before they happen rather than reactive.

The mentality of 'they don't have a right to do this until I've done something wrong' simply doesn't make sane, rational sense.

You have a constitutional right to privacy. Period. It's supposed to be inalienable. You're supposed to have a constitutional right to due process. That's inalienable too. But apparently those are outmoded ideas because of the 20,000 or so radical terrorists in the world that might want to harm us. Ostensibly, for that, we have to monitor the goings on of everyone in the world. I'd call that a ton of prevention for an ounce of "cure".

That aside...

And sure, you aren't doing anything that is considered dangerous or inappropriate *now*, but all that monitoring will be stored. Forever. And can you really promise me that at some point down the line the political environment might change, and something you *did*, 20 years previous, suddenly becomes grounds for persecution or prosecution? Yeah I know ex post facto an all that jazz, but hey, we're supposed to have privacy too right?

That information that's being collected will never, ever go away, and some day someone will abuse it. In fact, it's already getting abused. Google "loveint nsa" and read about one way it's getting abused.

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
20. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 16:09 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:17:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 10:57:
30 days does lead to fraud, it just does.

I don't think it'll be a huge issue. First you have to let support try to fix the issue, and to be honest, their support guys are pretty dang good at fixing things.

Anyway, awesome awesome move by GOG. Steam is left looking like an asshole.

I don't disagree. But would you say, if you bought a DD game and were given 3 days to return it if you don't like it for any reasonable reason. That this would give you plenty of time to download and try, before going for a refund? I'm just saying that I like the road to be two-way Zero Return sucks, 30 Days gives the crooks too much.

FWIW I've always got a refund from Steam when asked via their channels. Now these were reported all within a day of first downloading, an email chain started that could bump it out a few days. But in the end a refund. Three times used. However like you, I like to have a policy to make me more at ease when doing things like this.

Doesn't matter in GOG's case because even after they remove your access to the game, you still have the installer that is DRM free.

3 days or 30, it really changes nothing. 30 days at least gives you some time to try the game out.

News Comments > Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age
3. Re: Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age Dec 8, 2013, 18:41 Flatline

No wonder this game blew through it's fucking funding only a fraction done.  

News Comments > The Walking Dead Season 2 Nears
3. Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Nears Dec 6, 2013, 17:47 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 10:30:
I'll grab this when it's done. I hate waiting for these other episodes of The Wolf Among Us. Really wish they had gone with a whole new crew of people instead of more Clem.

Yeah Wolf is really dragging it's feet. I was frustrated that they decided to launch episode 2 after WD season 2. We won't officially even *get* an ETA for TWAM until after "the holidays". So probably next year.

News Comments > Hawken Patched; Winter Event Launches
3. Re: Hawken Patched; Winter Event Launches Dec 5, 2013, 01:04 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 17:10:
Haven't played since early beta, when it was straight-up DM (which doesn't interest me). If they spruced up the game types and fleshed out the mech variety I'd give it another go. Was a hell of a lot better of a game than MWO, anyways.

This game actually came out?

I remember it looking interesting and wanting to play it, and this extremely long, drawn out closed beta started that I never actually got in on.

So I forgot about the game. Completely.

Just like Quake Live, Battlefield Heroes, and a fucking litany of other games that were F2P but had this strange desire to blow it's wad on advertising during the closed beta period of time when nobody can actually play. You see a shit load of art and press and videos during the closed beta, which amps everyone up, and then nothing for 6 months, and maybe, maybe if you're lucky, a single press release showing the game to actually be live, that is easily missed.

It seems.... backwards to me.

News Comments > Clandestine Announced
2. Re: Clandestine Announced Nov 28, 2013, 14:53 Flatline

It's not exactly "cold war" if it's 5 years after the soviet union dissolved....  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 18:51 Flatline

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 12:01:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 11:59:
Kotaku is reporting that EA is working on a new Star Wars open world game. Since "open world" is about as misused a term as "RPG" these days...I suppose that could mean anything.

Grand Theft Bounty Hunter/Rebel, please!

Can you imagine Red Faction Guerrilla done with a Star Wars theme?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 18:50 Flatline

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 09:19:
Reminds me of a time I had to have blood drawn, years ago. First woman tried multiple times, on both arms, jabbing the hell out of me, over and over, with no luck. Finally, she goes and gets this other woman. Other Woman was clearly the expert, as I never felt a thing, and told her she needed to teach the first woman How It Was Done.

I donated blood for my mother's hysterectomy since we both have the same blood type and I have a terrible phobia of needles. Which sucks because I have O negative blood and it's super valuable. Usually I can get through a blood donation if I grit my teeth and try not to think about it. I was doing okay until the f*cking tech or whoever decided I wasn't filling the bag fast enough and came in with the roller thing to push the blood down into the bag faster. Well, she zipped the roller *UP TOWARDS MY ARM*. Have you ever felt blood forcefully squirted back into your body? It hurt so fucking bad that I immediately got nauseated and nearly passed out.

Just the thought of giving blood now makes me woozy. I haven't donated in like 10 years because the thought makes me sick to my stomach. I hate that woman.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M
28. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:19 Flatline

1badmf wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 16:55:
i can't believe i'm reading this. some of you honestly think that chris roberts is committing fraud!? that he's just making up numbers out of thin air to keep a lie going? an honest question - what has he done to elicit that kind of suspicion. i appreciate that fraud is an increasing problem today, but you CANNOT apply that to specific situations where all the evidence is to the contrary. it's a logical fallacy.

i mean, i get it - you guys think we fans are showering the project with undue adulation and that's your right. but then, how is it any better that you fools take a dump on the project with nary a hint of evidence? it's the same act, just at the other end of the spectrum, and a worse offense in my opinion because it's entirely negative. seriously, do you guys actually think CR is committing fraud?!? do you listen to yourselves?

The problem is that we can do math, and while 30 million is a great number for making a video game, it's still not much for what's being promised.

Sandbox games cost a fortune to make. GTA 5 cost 260 million to make and market (so probably 130 million or so to develop), and will offer a fraction of the interactivity that Star Citizen is promising.

It just seems like a gargantuan project for that amount of money. Something is inordinate here. Unless this game plans to pull an Eve Online and slowly develop over 10 years it's hard to see them launching in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm hoping they pull it off, I really do. But there's a disconnect here between promises and reality.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M
26. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:14 Flatline

This is actually the first stretch goal in I don't remember how long that I'm actually cool with.  

News Comments > Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com
28. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 22, 2013, 01:58 Flatline

Parias wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 21:12:
Prez wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:15:
Wing Commander Saga looks amazing, (kudos to the dev team!) but judging from the screenshots on the website it looks as though there is no cockpit view. I would really miss the cockpit view - it just wouldn't feel like Wing Commander to me without it.

Freespace 2 actually does support 3D cockpits now as well, so technically this would be possible to implement. I think they just need the development resources to do so.

Yeah it's been hacked in. If you want to see what it can accomplish go check out the FS2 total conversion Diaspora, which is probably one of the most screen-accurate BSG mods I've ever seen.

You wanna talk about a f*cking tough game, pilot a viper in full manual mode.

http://diaspora.hard-light.net/

1949 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo