Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2395 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Vietnam '65 Next Month
6. Re: Vietnam '65 Next Month Feb 11, 2015, 12:08 Flatline

There's a lot of room for grand strategy in a Vietnam war game. I'll be interested to see if this one captures a lot of the idiosyncrasies of that war.

There's a board game that came out recently, Fire in the Lake, that does pretty well. But even then it misses some of the bizarre shit like how hands-on the staff at the white house were in the day to day tactical aspects of the war. They'd pick bombing targets, then dictate for "political reasons" the direction of the attack, altitude, etc etc... Sometimes it seemed like completely arbitrary bullshit.

We have eleventy billion grand strategy games for WW2 I'd like to see Korea and Vietnam get some attention finally. It'd be worth it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2015, 19:06 Flatline

I doubt anyone noticed.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
916. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 10, 2015, 19:05 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:25:
Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:21:
...alight with people shitting purple twinkies...

That is good. I need to use that in a conversation sometime.

You know it's bad when your boss asks you where the hell you got your sayings from.

914. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 10, 2015, 18:21 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 17:34:
Hmm...the forums are alight with complaints. The biggest one being that "scraping" damage is borked, and causes your ship to get blown up or suffer massive shield/hull damage. I think a python's repair bill is about $20k per 1% hull damage. Some asshole npc sidewinder scraping me could take me down to 15% hull. Eff that....

I might wait for a hotfix. I'm not too keen to waste several evenings worth of trading money spent on stupid damage bug issues.

The beta forum was alight with people shitting purple twinkies over a lot of the changes and they barely got addressed/balanced last I heard.

That was a spectacularly short beta for 1.1...

I love the game but it kind of seems like the devs are only half-listening to feedback from the beta community.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
23. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 18:17 Flatline

I can't count how many times I was mildly interested in leaderboards in a game, and I go check and the top 10,000 players all have hacked/broken scores.

Not quite the case here but I've given up on leaderboards completely because I've pretty much never seen one that wasn't completely covered in cheaters.

883. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 6, 2015, 18:56 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 08:03:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 07:50:
Okay, I admit I wasn't following along. I got that shadowplay was some kind of recording setup but other than that I seem to have missed it?
It's part of the Nvidia drivers.
It basically runs in the background and always records. If you want to save the clip it records you just hit Alt+F10 and it saves the last 10 minutes of recording. You can change the length in the settings to more or less and also the quality it records in, microphone input etc.

The best part is it doesn't hit your performance like Fraps does because it is all hardware not software.
Nvidia uses a chip on the video card to record so basically 0 performance hit.
I have it running all the time so I can save precious moments like this : http://youtu.be/pPq7pnbIv-Y

I love the Asp. With 6 guns that ship eats everything in front of it. I can't wait to have it all upgraded. I only put some basic guns on it and a better FSD everything else is pretty much stock!

Also, AMD has a tech called GVR that does the same thing Shadowplay does, but doesn't rely on branded tech. It's not quite as optimized for nVidia, so you might as well stick with shadowplay, but doesn't take much of a hit if you have an AMD card.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
25. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 6, 2015, 18:42 Flatline

Rhino wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:51:
Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:48:
Mordor had a dreadful story that was was poorly strung together and made little sense. Outstanding Achievement my ass haha.

Yeah, I was caught off guard by that one, too. I know of NOBODY that felt that story was anything more than serviceable. Yes, fine, opinions may vary, blah blag and so forth.
Destiny as Action Game of the Year also caught me off guard. Even Wolfenstein: The New Order was, to me, a vastly superior offering; and not even I would claim that it was perfect. Great, yes. Perfect, no.

Wolfenstein might have been the biggest surprise of the year for me. I was expecting shit. I got a surprisingly compelling story and a fun shoot em up game.

Let's put it this way. I got it on steam sale for something stupid like 9 dollars. Not only did I feel I got my money's worth, I felt that I could have spent 30 or 40 dollars and felt like I got my money's worth.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking Feb 6, 2015, 17:48 Flatline

Okay I finally watched the video.

Again couldn't they have like done this with the kinect and head tracking?

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Beta
6. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Beta Feb 6, 2015, 12:39 Flatline

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:13:
So, basically, still a digital version of Starfleet Battles?

If Only. I miss Starfleet Command.

GSB was barely a game. You were expected to use trial and error with almost no logical input to find a combination of bits and bobs for your fleet that would win a battle.

So it basically was like 15 adventure game puzzles one after another but you had to wait 10-15 minutes to see if you managed to figure out the game designer's logic.

Or you go onto a forum and spoil it and have essentially no game at all.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking Feb 6, 2015, 12:36 Flatline

How is this different from like TrackIR?  

News Comments > WildStar Content Update
3. Re: WildStar Content Update Feb 3, 2015, 16:47 Flatline

Ungh pleas sthap with the proto*corp* themed expansions. It was funny... for about an hour... over a year ago.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 2, 2015, 18:39 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 20:14:
Wetworks24 wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:45:
nin wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:30:
Wetworks24 wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:12:
This game looks terrible. Just goes to show that just because something is popular doesn't mean its good.

Yeah! People that like things you don't like! What the fuck indeed!

My issue is that a game that is mostly style with little substance has become the biggest board game / card game kickstarter of all time by a large margin.

People are free to kickstart what they want, just a shame imo when there are far superior board games out there.

Would you mind spending a bit more time and doing an actual review of the game, and what it is you didn't like about it when you played it?

Here's the description of the game:

Exploding Kittens is a highly strategic kitty-powered version of Russian Roulette. Players take turns drawing cards until someone draws an exploding kitten and loses the game. The deck is made up of cards that let you avoid exploding by peeking at cards before you draw, forcing your opponent to draw multiple cards, or shuffling the deck.

I'm not sure how strategic you can get (and really it should be tactical but whatever) when you draw cards off the top of the deck.

But even if you can, it's a simple press your luck game. The *entire* draw is that The Oatmeal is doing the artwork.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2015, 17:31 Flatline

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:43:
Well, that would be most of them since there is going to be very little a robot can't do going forward. Most jobs can be split into logical parts and then repeated and the cost of robotic parts is falling.

(My office is next to a robotics lab)

Wake me up when a computer/robot can play Go and beat say a 6 dan player.

News Comments > Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2
13. Re: Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2 Feb 2, 2015, 15:48 Flatline

Slick wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 15:28:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 14:56:
There are virus's everywhere

it's as i feared, you have to leave, leave now timmy, run for the hills, forget us! the viruses, they're coming!

Eh he's just bitter that nobody realized he was the spunky outsider for sticking with Windows Phone when everyone else thought it was a lost cause. Now he feels like Queen Elizabeth's jilted lovers.

News Comments > New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored
11. Re: New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored Feb 2, 2015, 15:47 Flatline

Yhatzee must be masturbating furiously at this news.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2
11. Re: Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2 Feb 2, 2015, 15:16 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 14:56:
Well its not going to run Call of duty anytime soon.

I'd list that as a selling point frankly.

W10 means that development for the pi will open up some (I guess it'l open up to VB?) which is cool for a lot of stuff. More importantly it opens up to more versions of linux which is arguably bigger.

805. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 30, 2015, 19:52 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 19:44:
Flatline wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 19:36:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 00:15:
I don't know how you guys do those 11+ rare trade runs. That is the most boring thing ever. I tried it after a long break thinking it would be easier with a bigger jump range, but nope. Super boring.

It's sad, but I prefer my 5 ly trading route.

Turn on a podcast like Yhatzee and go a space-truckin'.

I'm on a 3-4 jump loop right now that takes about 3 more minutes than your neighbor loop (which I did for a while). I'm averaging about 3300 credits per ton for the loop. Which isn't too bad. I'm averaging 300,000 credits in my type 6. Once I get 1.5 mil I can hit the A class jump drive and that should drop me down to 2 jumps and boost my profit rate.

I'm hunting around to find a higher credit per ton trading run but so far I'm not finding too much in the empire right now.

Edit: Apparently 3300 credits per loop is an insane profit per ton from what I'm seeing over on Reddit. Most people have trouble getting into the mid-2000's

$3.3k per TON! What the fuck. I'm assuming you mistyped...that is insane. I get (on a good day) $1.5k per ton. And, ahem, if it's real, please fill me in. Daddy wants a python.

I just checked the route and my preferred route has dropped in value down to about 2500 (I think that's my route. I'll look it up at home).

But here's a 2.9k per ton profit (2950, which is pretty good) route that's about 45 light years per trip. With a 20 LY jump range that's gonna be 3 jumps (I have to look at the map to see if that's possible). You're looking at about 30 seconds between jumps, but the stations look to be 20 ls away from the nav beacon. So you save lots of time. Even 4 jumps, while fuel expensive, isn't very time consuming with a 20ls trip to the stations.

Rathamas (Artzybasheff Hub) 20ls Palladium &#8594; Wuru (Wendelin Terminal) 24ls

Buy: 12534 (3h 8m ago)
Sell: 14263 (3h 45m ago)

Wuru (Wendelin Terminal) 24ls Resonating Separators &#8594; Rathamas (Artzybasheff Hub) 20ls

Buy: 5386 (3h 45m ago)
Sell: 6607 (16h 47m ago)

Edit: This is round trip 3k per ton. Additionally, the data even at 3 hours old can fluctuate quite a bit. I'd lowball and figure maybe 2-500 credit swing up or down from those profits by the time you get there.

From that neighbor system run you did I think Wuru is like 8 or 9 jumps away. Took me half an hour to get there but that area seemed to have good trading.

801. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 30, 2015, 19:36 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 00:15:
I don't know how you guys do those 11+ rare trade runs. That is the most boring thing ever. I tried it after a long break thinking it would be easier with a bigger jump range, but nope. Super boring.

It's sad, but I prefer my 5 ly trading route.

Turn on a podcast like Yhatzee and go a space-truckin'.

I'm on a 3-4 jump loop right now that takes about 3 more minutes than your neighbor loop (which I did for a while). I'm averaging about 3300 credits per ton for the loop. Which isn't too bad. I'm averaging 300,000 credits in my type 6. Once I get 1.5 mil I can hit the A class jump drive and that should drop me down to 2 jumps and boost my profit rate.

I'm hunting around to find a higher credit per ton trading run but so far I'm not finding too much in the empire right now.

Edit: Apparently 3300 credits per loop is an insane profit per ton from what I'm seeing over on Reddit. Most people have trouble getting into the mid-2000's

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2015, 19:42.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 29, 2015, 19:54 Flatline

Pigeon wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 19:06:
A home broadband connection of 10Mbps supports three video streams, plus other Web use, at the same time, Pai said. “For some time now, under this administration, grounding the new benchmark for broadband in reality hasn’t been the point,” he added. “No, the ultimate goal is to seize new, virtually limitless authority to regulate the broadband marketplace...”

Pai went on to say his whole family can simultaneously stream videos of his cat that he took with his Razr V3 and posted on his myspace page...

Silliness aside, I notice the term advanced broadband is being used instead of just broadband. This leads me to believe broadband may still be classified as 4up 1down.

Nah the minimum for broadband is going to be 25/3 or whatever it is. "advanced" is just a catchphrase.

And considering that even factoring in the cost of network upgrades it costs like less than 2 cents a gig to transfer data... Cry me a f*ckin river telcomms. You've already been charging us premium fees to upgrade your network for 25 years.

News Comments > Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow
15. Re: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow Jan 29, 2015, 11:26 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 23:53:
This game made the unforgivable design decision to force you to focus on not one, but TWO different sets of QTEs at the same time, all while really cool shit was happening on screen—really cool shit that you never got to see, because you had to keep fucking around with the stupid QTEs. My wife, who watched me play it for awhile, said that especially the "escape from demons in the office area" was really cool to see. Me? Never saw a glimpse of it.

The story was actually cool, but holy shit was the game design behind it fucking terrible. Do yourself a favor, watch someone just play through this on Youtube. It'll be FAR less aggravating. Unless you happen to be one of those rare souls that likes QTEs (I imagine a few exist, after all, why else would devs keep putting fucking QTEs in games??), in which case this game will be your own personal nirvana.

The first like... half... of Fahrenheit had a fantastic story. The last half started... uneven. Then it shit it's pants in the final act by rushing like a high school boy losing his virginity: The payoff wasn't worth the buildup.

Also...

That whole thing with the AI was f*cking rubbish for what was supposed to be a supernatural thriller

2395 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo