Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1891 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released
46. Re: Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released Oct 15, 2013, 03:38 Flatline

Scottso wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 01:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 19:47:
Scottso wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 19:16:
I don't think that's altogether fair considering Robert's past history with these sorts of games.

Oh yeah?

Yeah. So right up until Freelancer he was kicking ass with amazing games that defined the genre. One project with problems and "OMG WHAT A CLUSTERFUCK!" Besides, MS bought up Digital Anvil right when all these "problems" were happening. That's when he became a "consultant." Big paycheck doesn't seem like that much of a clusterfuck to me. Despite all that, it came out just fine and people remember it quite fondly even after they removed some of the really ambitious features to push it out quickly.

I think the scope of Star Citizen is just about right. All "new" features are down to simple cosmetic things. Even the last big stretch goal was technology to put real peoples' faces on characters/npcs instead of promising some potentially out of reach game feature. It would seem to me they are pretty clear and focused on the base game now. $22+ million is a LOT of money, especially if you don't have to pay anyone except your dev team and rent an office. 50 developers, which is a lot, at $100K a year (lets say including insurance, 401K etc.) you will lay out $5 million, so $10 million for a 2 year dev cycle to release. The other $12+ million you have on hand is quite a lot of padding without counting how much you rake in after you release, assuming its even modestly successful. Especially if you are making interest on it. There are no investors to pay off with money. You're paying them off by making a game they want to play.

In any case, time will tell. I'm sure it will be be impossible to meet some of the crazy expectations that always revolve around these sorts of things, but the fact that they have multiple development teams working on separate modular pieces seems to be built in insurance. Assuming they get the space combat stuff out and its fun, everything else is just a piece they can refine and add as it's ready. That model already works (see Eve Online.) To be honest, in general, I am just as skeptical as you are, but in this case I don't see anything really that unreasonable.

I also have to admit, although its relatively simple stuff, imo the hangar is pretty impressive. Especially if you have some of the larger ships in it. It definitely makes you want to see these things flying in space and if they keep paying attention to player/backer input like they have, I think it has the potential to be one of those games you just have to play "for one more hour."

Sorry to be the lone optimist in this thread.

Integrating FPS into a space sim game is mostly cosmetic?

Again, I really hope I'm wrong, but we sunk 22 million into an idea and a reputation. We *still* don't have any concrete, tangible gameplay to base any of the hype on (ie: what exactly are you buying with your 500 dollar spaceship?) beyond a single room with a single model in it we could run around in, that took months to debug fully.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 14, 2013, 20:17 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:40:
I think it's more of the same thing that they do with the old service packs. They'll support your OS for a few years with patches if you didn't get the service pack, but eventually if something is fixed in the SP, and you didn't get it, you're SOL.

Of course, enterprises are REALLY scared of service packs ever since that wonderful XP SP2 killed half of the applications in the known world.

That was a great time for my IT services company. We made so much bank.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Windows 8 only supported for 2 years? Oct 14, 2013, 20:16 Flatline

DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 16:11:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 14:03:
DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:08:
Now that is funny. So Microsoft is not easing up on the push to upgrade to their latest polished turd. They are increasing the pressure on people by shortening the support time windows? It will be interesting to watch a multi-billion dollar corporation slowly kill itself by creating consumer outrage on every possible front. They will have to make a movie about the demise of Microsoft in a few years. Should be pretty good. Title of the movie? "We thought we were too big too fail, no really.".

Why would they support an operating system that has lots of updates and fixes that are not applied?

You actually make a good point now that I think about it. So I have a question for you based upon your own logical response. Why would they even support Windows 8 for 2 years once the 8.1 patch/upgrade/release is available?

If were going to use your logic we can't be selective about it now can we?

Err... because not everyone can patch on day 1? MS gives vendors a 2 year production cycle to make sure their software is compatible with Windows 8.1

Not to mention that Win8 has been out for about a year now, so total support of Win8 will be about 3 years, which sounds about right for initial release support for windows.

That's a fairly generous window considering that not much under the hood is being updated.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
17. Re: Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced Oct 8, 2013, 02:11 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:25:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:24:
Pretty sure this is going to be a mobile spinoff, just like Deus Ex: The Fall.

Does SE do ANY mobile at all?

Not only does SE do mobile, they charge premium dollars for it.

But Sleeping Dogs was one of the surprise fun hits of PC gaming in recent memory. I just regret that some of the storylines they started went nowhere (the rap star & a few others).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 12:02 Flatline

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 11:50:
Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:21:
Time is right for more active comment system moderation, youtube comments in particular were so awful I just stopped even looking.

I'm all for freedom of speech but many comments on forums around the web are just awful. I found her mention of mysoginy in a game about lawless gangsters to be ridiculous and stupid (it's sort of like warning that the game will have violence and cursing too. NO SHIT!) , but some of the shit that some people said about Carolyn Petit in the comments was just so low class it makes me wonder have humans lost the ability to empathize. And yeah, it's amazing that youtube still has comments active considering the toxic shit people write in their routinely. I'm for limiting speech on the web if the majority of it is vitriolic and hateful.

I've been known to troll and flame a little, but usually I aim it at folks that seem to be able to take and give. But even I don't go so low as some of the stuff on youtube and other sites. I don't mind a little bit of comment moderation. Even in the wild-west days of IRC back in the late 90's, while there were no rules, we *did* self-moderate.

I love freedom of speech and I love privacy, but let's be honest- these are privately run websites and self-policing at the community level can co-exist with freedom of speech and privacy. The thing about the internet is that you can always just go start a blog or go somewhere else if you want to spew hate and filth. It's not like we're running out of web pages.

Basically, the hands-off shit is not freedom, it's anarchy.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII STEAM EDITION
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII STEAM EDITION Sep 15, 2013, 16:51 Flatline

BILLY MAYS HERE WITH KING OF THE FIGHTERS XIII STEAM EDITION!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Card Hunter
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Card Hunter Sep 14, 2013, 02:37 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 07:36:
Played until level 5 or so ... but battles got extremely unfair. Neat game but terrible balance ~.~

Actually you have to know how to game the game and swap out your gear between battles. If you're getting hosed, you're not equipping your toons well.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2013, 13:05 Flatline

CrimsonPaw wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 11:18:
I'm somewhat looking forward to Planetside 2 for the PS4. I played it a little on my PC but that game made it feel its age and ran at a rather uncomfortable frame rate. In terms of F2P games, it seemed more enjoyable than other F2P games like Dust 514.

I'm gonna pull a nin and start my hype countdown - Almost 2 months to GO!!! Thankfully I have a Disney World trip in a 4 weeks to give me another short term item to look forward to between GTA V and the PS4 release.

Considering how shitty the Planetside 2 engine is right now on the PC one would hope that you could optimize for a static piece of hardware.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
48. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 18:52 Flatline

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 17:43:
Flatline wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:44:
Heh. Heh heh.

No.
Not all that a ridiculous concept. I've seen more intense backer rewards.

Not a ridiculous concept at all. But the 10,000 dollar kickstarter reward only lets you *name* your own ship.

Maybe at 100,000k they'd put a custom ship in for you.

45. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:46 Flatline

Graham wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:42:
They've hit their deliverables so far (including physical deliveries for things like membership cards). I get being skeptical, but I'm feeling comfortable with what they've promised.

Ain't no problem doubting it, but I'm curious what folks who are doubting will say if it does turn out to be everything advertised (and on-time!). It's a big if, but it's always interesting the opinions of former naysayers after a success. Shadowrun Returns was touted as a game that would never make it by some, and yet it's out and it's fun.

/shrug maybe kickstarting IS the future for indie games. And let's face it... an $18 million dollar indie game is a new beast on the market.

What will I say?

WOOHOO I'm glad I was A) wrong (I love me some space sim) and B) glad my 60 bucks was well spent.

But that'll probably be about 1000 hours of gameplay later.

I *want* to be wrong. That's the thing most of the investors who are skeptical and worried are saying. We want to be wrong and blown away.

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:44 Flatline

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:36:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:32:
People spending $5k on spaceships. I spent a tenth of that and my wife is ready to kill me.
I haven't been following this game that intently, but I'm assuming that they have designers do a custom ship for you if you donated over 5 G's?

Heh. Heh heh.

No.

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:40 Flatline

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:32:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:36:
One question though. Where the hell is all this money coming from?
People spending $5k on spaceships. I spent a tenth of that and my wife is ready to kill me.

Plus now can't you buy all kinds of equipment right now that you have no idea how powerful or useful it actually is in the game?

The amount of blind equipment buys is insane.

38. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:14 Flatline

Quinn wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 14:42:
siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:08:
I think all the money, regardless of the amount, should be used solely for streamlining and improving the original game design, rather than adding things on. Make it the best possible game of it's kind, never mind to extended ideas and added on stuff.

I definitely disagree with this. To me, space combat can only get so good. I'm not saying I've seen the "perfect" space sim yet -- not at all!

But no matter how good the space sim is, the illusion of actually flying in the awesome vastness of the universe is quickly removed by the realization of it being nothing but a few 3D models surrounded by a high-rez texture that's "the infinity of space". Adding depth to this by making planets to land on, with FPS content, makes the magic that much more magnificent. To complain about it is to complain about a loving relationship with your partner containing sexual intercourse. w00t!

And running around in a high rez background box with a few 3d models and high rez textures in FPS mode changes all of that?

Um... okay...

News Comments > Op Ed
76. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 23:57 Flatline

Loopy wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 23:36:
Flatline wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 22:46:
When this original story broke one of the loudest women screaming teh "triggering" argument was a female developer who made hyper violent FPS war games. I will refrain from naming names for obvious reasons.

I politely pointed out that her own career was based on creating games that trigger PTSD in war veterans and she didn't seem to have a problem with that. I mean, PTSD is PTSD and triggering is triggering.

Why would a war veteran with PTSD issues play a violent, war-themed FPS game in the first place? Doesn't the possibility of aggravating that condition kind of come with the territory?

I think you "checked out of the argument mentally" before it even started, friend.

So you can avoid the multi-million dollar ad campaigns? We live in a culture that's permeated and saturated in extreme violence as a form of entertainment. You may be able to avoid some of the avenues, but it doesn't prevent you from being constantly exposed to the violence culture.

And actually, I was hoping she'd say "just don't play it" as a reply, because someone else said "just don't read PA" and she replied that just ignoring the source is terribad and makes you just as bad as PA.

Fair point about voluntary enlistment, but making the argument that rape-induced PTSD is just as legitimate as war-induced PTSD (which I'll agree it is) sounds a little hollow when your career is to make games that are super concentrated PTSD triggers, and then complain that a comic strip is a PTSD trigger.

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 22:46 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:56:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:23:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Well, I don't think anyone other than Cutter is saying PA condones it, but I'd also wager there are more people walking around out there that have the lingering memories of being raped than there are that have the lingering memories of being brutally murdered by being fed into a woodchipper.

It gets back to the "triggering" argument that you seem to be misunderstanding.

When this original story broke one of the loudest women screaming teh "triggering" argument was a female developer who made hyper violent FPS war games. I will refrain from naming names for obvious reasons.

I politely pointed out that her own career was based on creating games that trigger PTSD in war veterans and she didn't seem to have a problem with that. I mean, PTSD is PTSD and triggering is triggering.

I forgot if it was her or her fans who called me a rapist waiting to happen (ie: I'd be a rapist if I thought I could get away with it).

I checked out of the argument mentally at that point.

Rape culture shit does exist, triggered PTSD does exist, the unnecessary slut-shaming and objectification of women do exist. Look at our fucking politicians who talk about "legitimate rape", transvaginal ultrasounds to shame women and shit that's trying to be *enforced by law*. That's the vile shit. This Penny Arcade thing? Tasteless (funny though I laughed at the MMO commentary) but ultimately bullshit amplified through two echo chambers.

News Comments > Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be "Complicated" (By Activision?)
45. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 22:36 Flatline

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:46:
What % of PC players are offline when they want to play a title like D3? REALLY?

I know the answer is not readily obtainable, but I have to guess that it's an absurdly low number. Except for travelers or umm, I dunno, campers? How often is your gaming PC not online? Internet goes out for a night because roadrunner/cox/whatever sucks and we would all get the dry mouths and shakes, but I assume playing D3 would be low on the list?

The ONLY time in the last year that I was denied playing D3 was because of Tuesday maintenance windows, and nothing else.
Personal situations and experience plays a large part in my opinion on this (ODRM)so your opinion and others may vary. Now THAT'S not hard to understand.

I realize from past experience that defending this title on Blues is like painting a bulls-eye on myself but man, some gamers (these ARE video games, not life/death) get so hostile and bent out of shape. Relax....go move some pixels around. :-)

God you're an idiot.

Go google "Diablo 3 lag kills" and look at the 400,000 results that document all the times lag spikes killed off characters, some of which are hardcore characters and can never come back.

Those characters died because of a useless fucking "feature" that's only there to tie you into the RMAH.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 4, 2013, 13:12 Flatline

Not surprising. I'm studying DNS namespace right now and it's pretty rigid and logical. They're talking about making the top level domain implicit. So the actual website would be search.search but the ".search" would be implicit.

That complicates DNS hierarchy for the sake of typing four characters. I doubt actually that was the real reason why Google wanted dotless domains.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ultimate Upgrade Pack 2 Released
3. Re: Borderlands 2 Ultimate Upgrade Pack 2 Released Sep 4, 2013, 01:45 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 00:47:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 22:36:
Please keep buying shit for Borderlands, as our plans for Aliens CM have failed horribly!
Or you could keep buying BL2 expansions because it's a good game...

Tiny Tina's Raid on Dragon Keep was pretty fucking awesome and hilarious.

Except that they keep doing this really, really weird thing with Tina where everything about her is like terrible tragedy.

I don't get it. It's like the miscarriage cartoon from Control-Alt-Delete. Total tonal shift and I guess you're supposed to feel bad for thinking Tina is funny?

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2013, 18:51 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:53:
Wow. 101 in "How Not To Run Your Competitive Multiplayer Game."

Holy crap. I can't even begin to think what they could have done to piss players off more, other than maybe a feature where meteor strikes damage your mech randomly, and you have to pay $20 to fix it.

Good job killing your game, fellas.

The developer has stated itís no longer concerned with pleasing existing fans ó many of whom have dumped hundreds of dollars into Mechwarrior Online based on the promises PGI made them ó and that its goal is to instead seek out new players.

Niiiiiiice.

Damn. Yeah for a while there in open beta it was kind of fun. I got my money's worth out of it. But they introduced a bug where anyone with an nvidia card went straight to a black screen and nothing else and couldn't play. Even though they said the fix was simple we were going to have to wait for a full patch cycle. They had no intention of helping 50% of their play base actually play the game. That's when I saw the writing on the wall and left.

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
35. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 03:47 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 00:07:
While you guys keep piling on that undeserved negativity, I'm busy walking around the cool hangar in the recent hangar module they released to the public.

Ah yes the 3 gig single room model viewer (you only get to see your own purchased ship) with missing textures and a thick layer of Vaseline smeared over the camera lens.

If the hanger module is any indication the whole game should only take up 3 or 4TB of space.

1891 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo