Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2419 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2015, 18:09 Flatline

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 17:10:
It's also on sale on the Humble Bundle site for $17.

He says with the Humble Bundle link taking you there.

Yeah damn the humble bundle people. I really couldn't afford the 17 bucks this weekend but I've been waiting for Alien to go on a steep sale and that was a good price.

Out of curiosity, is Borderlands Pre-Sequel worth the 30 bucks that it goes for occasionally? I'm kind of burned out on borderlands at this point, and have been waiting for a deep Far Cry 4 sale moreso, but a mindless shoot-em-up either way would be fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1139. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 13, 2015, 11:46 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 01:10:
Funny story. Usually, I pay $28k for fuel each way on a ~30ly two jump trade route. Now...it costs 228c. This happened four times in a row, so I don't think it's a bug. That is a gigantic change. I'm in an Anaconda, mind you.

I always wondered why fuel is so expensive, when you can literally just go scoop it. Seems FD made a concession to the grind. The t9 was depressing...I made $700k each way, but also paid $60k each way for fuel. Maybe the same reason that hull is cheap to fix now. People like Spectral Meat who don't ocd trade all day Now he can get his Asp and actually *play* with it. Funny concept.

I think the original intent was that scooped fuel was less efficient and since it was unrefined it'd do damage/wear & tear on your ship so in the long run fuel scooping would cost more.

Since they aren't going to have like 5 different types of fuel that I can see, there's no point in making premium station fuel expensive.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
61. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 13:22 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:14:
Flatline wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:42:
Yep, this game will be unusable for people on Comcast, unless they remove their cap.

I have Comcast and I have no cap. Why that is I have no idea. I do know that I downloaded well over 2TB of data 3 months ago as part of re-installing 2 different computers on my home network and it didn't cost me anything extra. I doubt it has anything to do with me being a special little snowflake, but I guess that is a possibility.

It's possible Comcast has eased off of caps too in some/all markets I dunno.

47. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 12:50 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:47:
Flatline wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:42:
I predict a minimum of 250 gigs when all is said and done, with my outlier prediction being half a TB.

Incidentally, 30 gig patches with any regularity will basically mean that anyone with data caps on their internet connection in the world are fucked.

Yep, this game will be unusable for people on Comcast, unless they remove their cap.

I have no stake at all in this game, but I am mightily curious as to what the final result is going to be.

I expect I'll be playing Pillars of Eternity 2 by then though.

You actually might be able to do a class-action lawsuit if you're a comcast user and kickstarted the game. Like it or not there is a contract and money exchanged there.

I also fully expect that they will announce in the next year or so that 4 gigs of video memory is a minimum.

44. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 12:42 Flatline

There is no way that the client is only going to be 100 gigs. It's like 30-40 gigs right now and only has like 5% max of the art assets of the final game.

I predict a minimum of 250 gigs when all is said and done, with my outlier prediction being half a TB.

Incidentally, 30 gig patches with any regularity will basically mean that anyone with data caps on their internet connection in the world are fucked.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
54. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 11, 2015, 13:23 Flatline

Just got the expansion for dirt cheap (20 bucks yay!) and started playing again.

I know the difficulty ramps up but jeebus the loot system feels like it's trying to buy my affection by showering me with gifts. It's better than the original loot system I guess in that I'm getting interesting stuff, but "rares" aren't rare any more and rolling a new toon is kind of an exercise in boredom. I don't feel challenged at all.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 10, 2015, 17:50 Flatline

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:43:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:38:
Man, gold is such an ugly metal IMO. And soft, too. Not sure why someone would want a gold watch.

It just blows my mind they have a $17,000 version on their web site. That's the price of a low end <car>. That price even makes their $5000 workstations look cheap by comparison. For a watch.

Am I just getting old and not hip with the times, or is zat nucking futz?

There's an article floating around saying that Apple's shifting it's focus from "high end for everyone" to "capitalizing on income inequality" as their business model.

If that's true or not I dunno, but there's a few quotes in the article where people who assume Apple should be ubiquitous get stomped on.

Thing is, we made the same BS comments about the iPad when it came out. And then we all bought one.

Apple will sell out of the 17k watch. Of course they will.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 10, 2015, 17:44 Flatline

Dagnamit wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 19:44:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 19:14:
Apple Just Canceled The Right Click.

Glad I don't use Apple.

Huh, I thought they had given up on that ridiculousness.

It's spin. They really haven't. They just disguised the right click as a "hard" click I guess. Similar to how you press and hold on every touch-interface in existence now to access the "right-click" menu.

It's pure apple fanboy fellating hubris that doesn't admit to the truth: they're just taking nearly 10 year old concept from their touch interface and importing it into the touchpad.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 6, 2015, 14:08 Flatline

They'll create HL3 solely for their VR headset, and then "beta" it out to 8 people 4 years from now and then silently scrap the entire program.  

28. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 13:18 Flatline

Okay then. Ordered. I'll pick it up on the way home.

BB also has Heart of the Swarm for 10 bucks. I might buy that too.

I can't believe I'm going to a best buy. First time in years.

25. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 13:14 Flatline

Out of curiosity, is the D3 expansion worth 20 bucks? Best Buy of all places has it on sale for 20 right now.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2015, 13:56 Flatline

jomisab wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:58:
Why would I want to pay $15/month for HBO streaming when I can pay Cablevision an extra $10/month, record stuff with my whole-house DVR, and get HBO GO capability as well? So basically, this is really only for the true cord-cutters.

Why would you pay for HBO Now when you already have HBOGo for free?

This is obviously for cable cutters.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2015, 13:55 Flatline

MajorD wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:40:
$15.00/Month.....really? That's pretty steep in comparison to Netflix at $7.99/month that has a broader selection; however, I guess it is priced to be in line with the cable package pricing.

I watch more HBOGo than Netflix actually. 15 is a little steep but I cord-cut years and years ago so between my Amazon Prime account and this (if I wasn't "borrowing" hboGo) I'd be pretty happy.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 28, 2015, 23:34 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 20:24:
Am I the only one that read the game as "Fragrant Farts" the first time?

Nope.

I bought the game and played it for about an hour. It seemed kind of fun, and the story had some traction, but ultimately it seemed like I just held down the right arrow key for like 90% of the time and got bored with that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
13. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2015, 23:33 Flatline

The writing for NOLF was absolutely top-notch. Early on you got such great eavesdropping opportunities as listening to henchmen discuss the socio-economic impacts of criminals drinking beer more than the average person does, and I remember later on at one point you walked in on a tryst between a scientist and... a goat.

And of course in one of the first exchanges of the game...

"You look like you need a monkey!"

For a game that was basically ripping off Austin Powers the writing held up better for NOLF than AP.

News Comments > Op Ed
86. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 15:48 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 12:28:
jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:19:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:21:
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.

The reason most games have the same animations for women and men comes down to the cost and time it takes to create separate animations. But how exactly do women move any different to men? No two people move the same no matter what gender.

- Have female characters of various body types
- Include more female characters of color.

What about various male body types and male characters of color? Why just females? Most games that I've played recently have two body types, male and female. Once again, this is a time, cost and performance issue of having several different body models. Now that consoles aren't as antique hardware wise, these things can be possible.

- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

Who gets to decide what is considered sexualized? Different people find different things sexual. Some guys women in uniform sexy, so should we not have female cops or soldiers as enemies in games because they can be sexualized?

On the first one, the complaint isn't that women move like men, but that they move like strippers.

I wonder how much of it is sexualized and how much of it is intentional "overacting".

Because in a weird way computer animation is a lot like theatrical acting. Small, subtle cues that make up 80% of our normal behavior and motion are lost in theater, and so you see the exaggeration of the actors on stage so that people way in the back can still see and get the emotion of what's going on. It's the same with puppetry. Subtlety is lost.

Now, we're getting better. There were moments in Dragon Age Inquistion (and Mass Effect 3 for that matter) where the model actually managed to jump the uncanny valley for a few moments and look completely real (Solas especially since... well... he had no hair). And in those moments they managed to get away with subtle acting and animation and it worked.

But by and large we aren't there yet.

Yeah, I'll admit there's oversexualization but a general accusation of unrealistic animation still strikes me as the fidelity of computer games and the natural action of video games precludes many small subtleties.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 13:41 Flatline

Slick wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:51:
I'd still like to imagine a world where I can agree with some of what she says, and find the rest of what she says abhorrent and ignorant.

Considering she's rehasing what the industry, when it's stopped to self-examine, has been saying for years, I'd say it's totally reasonable to agree with some of her arguments.

I am at the point where I don't give a shit. The industry needs to grow up in a lot of ways. It's shoveling the lowest common denominator of shit wholesale at this point and it's not just related to gender.

Besides, isn't this whole gender/female/male thing like totally 2014? It's all about gender fluidity at this point with the 73 different kinds of gender on the slider? Why is Anita insisting on being part of the binary gender oppression by advocating for biological self-identifying females?

#BinaryIsBigoted

(yes, this is satire)

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
82. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 22:52 Flatline

killer_roach wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:32:
I was advocating for some sort of "Minimum QoS" regulation along with a reform of the FCC's spectrum auction rules to allow for a more dynamic market in wireless broadband. (Fiber optic "backbone" infrastructure I'm not so concerned about the effects of Title II on, beyond possible issues with deployment to new geographic locations which will likely be an impending fight between telecom firms and the FCC should these regulations be upheld.)

Blame Verizon for that then. The FCC was moving in that direction and Verizon took them to court and the courts told the FCC "Title II or GTFO".

They bet big and lost hard.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2015, 11:12 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 04:30:
Flatline wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 13:32:

"I doubt you'd be raped and murdered in front of 2000 people" and she replied with "Well they're all white males" was... I can't imagine living with that kind of world view. It must be really depressing.

What world view? That's not a world view. That's racism. Imagine the uproar if a white woman had said that on record about black males.

Oh it's racist but it's also one of the most pessimistic views of people I've ever heard.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2015, 11:10 Flatline

Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 18:33:
Flatline wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 18:28:
Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 17:26:
I enjoyed what happened to Adria Richards.

I won't go so far as to enjoy what happened to her. She didn't learn anything and came away more bitter and really more paranoid. She didn't deserve the level of vitriol that was aimed at her and I think 2 years of being unemployed or whatever it was according to the article is paying for all your sins and then some. I agree that we all lose in that scenario.

Let me be more specific. I enjoyed the fact that she lost her job, which I felt was karma for causing someone else to lose theirs. I did not mean I thought the other over-the-top type attacks on her were a good thing.

Gotcha fair 'nuff. I admit there's a bit of schadenfreude to that extent.

2419 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo