Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2173 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
242. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 17:55 Flatline

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 16:56:
Man... losing momentum in this game... can't really find any missions anymore. I'm staying in my 'starting' area (LHS 3447) and keep going to all the different Stations and Outposts but there are no trade or currier missions to be found most of the time, kind of a bummer spending an hour flying between these different areas and getting squat. My Rep is neutral and my status is rising in the Fed area so I'm not unwanted.

Wait, why are you complaining when you know the problem? It's time to go somewhere else. Pick a direction and go.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

234. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 15:37 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 13:31:
yuastnav wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 10:41:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 09:59:
I think I will get a hauler and set it up for mining. Mining with the Cobra just seems so wrong lol
I wanted to get a hauler to run transport missions anyways to take a bit of a brake from the combat.

Well, the Cobra is an all purpose ship.
I think the biggest advantage is the larger cargo hold although I'm a bit upset because I haven't found a single station that sells cargo racks larger than 4. That means I cannot upgrade the slots in my Cobra to get more cargo space and the default 18 still seems to be very little.

Maybe I'll bounty hunt until I get a million credits to get that Type 6 after all...

The general consensus on the Elite forums is that the hauler is a TERRIBLE mining ship. I think it's because you can only fit one weapon, so it'd leave you completely defenseless. Also, the hauler is really slow, you'd be racing to scoop rocks before they self-destruct.

I'd go with a cobra for mining and as others were saying all purpose stuff. As for upgrading your cargo bays, stations do sell higher capacity versions. I think I finally found mine in an industrial station, the high tech ones don't always seem to carry them.

The type 6 is pretty sweet, but it's obviously only for trading. I'd recommend everyone buying a cobra and at least storing it somewhere.

Yeah 8 slot cargo bays are pretty common, I've seen 16 slot, and when you get to the bigger ships it goes up from there.

Each system has a letter and a number rating. Generally, the number probably will benefit from being as high as it can be (ie: a class 3 cargo bay will basically fit more than a class 2 cargo bay, in fact, I think class 3 is 8 tons of storage and the 2 is 4).

Within that size class number you have letters of A through... well... I've see like G and I. A is best, B is "next best" so on and so forth. When you look at your outfitting panel the top size class number is the module installed, the bottom one is the maximum size you can mount.

Where it gets fuzzy since we don't have exact numbers is stuff like if a class 2A pulse laser is better or worse than say a 3D pulse laser. I guess you could mount one and compare it but I'd like the ability to compare items before installing them.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
8. Re: Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Dec 19, 2014, 14:36 Flatline

Bundy wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 09:32:
I don't get this franchise. My little brother was big into it, made me watch various cutscenes, kept looking over at me like he thought I was supposed to be impressed. But I just don't, get, it. I don't think Kojima is a good storyteller. His characters are weird and way over the top, and the plot just doesn't make any sense.

MGS3 was probably the best of the series that I saw. High on melodrama but the plot was more or less coherent and somewhat interesting.

I have this gut feeling that the MGS meta-plot is actually that everyone is all a bunch of quirky AIs trapped in a simulation, not aware that either they nor anyone else is a buggy AI. That's why you get titles like ground zeros and revengenance (that's not even a word!) and the Kojima verbal diarrhea.

228. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 11:19 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 17:48:
Honestly, I don't get the whole "offline" mode argument. Sure, you can wail about being told one thing then being offered another. This is the first time in video game history this has happened. But, honestly, if you play "solo" mode, you need the slightest internet connection for your world to ping a server every so often. And! You can switch between the two at will! I've never seen that before. Some asshole is ganking you and a system, go into solo. He's gone! Move back to online later, no need for different characters.

I agree Frontier could have handled it better, but the people who immediately declare it's a "no-buy" anymore (and 99.9% are connected to the internet at all times) is beyond insane to me. Seriously, who the hell is gonna plan to break out some solo offline mode elite: dangerous while on an airplane? And because of that "principle" you are basically robbing yourself of a game you complain doesn't get made enough.

I agree it's making a mountain out of a molehill, and that maybe only 1 out of every 100 people complaining are actually in a situation where always online is an issue.

I think part of the problem is the nature of crowdfunding and the bullet lists in crowdfunding as opposed to the bullet lists on the back of a game box.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
2. Re: Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Dec 18, 2014, 19:32 Flatline

Isn't this the demo that you pay for?  

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced
1. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced Dec 18, 2014, 18:37 Flatline

Wat  

206. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 14:51 Flatline

Kosumo wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 14:48:
I think they had to be hard on the refund policy due to the fact that people where paying more than retail cost to be in it so in theroy you could get a refund for your $150 early buy and then just buy it a retail price and all that would have happend is that Elite would have lost heaps of money over something that did not effect most of those who would be benifitting from it (by getting back some money, yet having played the beta under the 'online always' version)

The problem there was the intial pricing system.

It is a sad chapter in what I'd say was otherwise a happy story.

I would have refunded the cost of the game itself. The beta premium you played through and would get back.

But that would have probably required a different tooling of the EULA than was on there.

I ultimately didn't care much myself but yeah it created a lot of issues.

203. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 14:31 Flatline

Kosumo wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 14:13:
I'm glad that it sounds like so many of you guys are having fun with this.

With teh exception of the offline mode, it sounds like they delived pretty much just what they said they would back over a year ago.

Still, you all know Star Citizen will be better - it's got* pets you know!

*will have, once it's started, at some point, when that module is released.

While I'll ding them readily for waiting for so long to officially ditch offline mode (It probably should have been obvious somewhere around the beginning of Beta 2 I imagine), the thing I thought was especially crap was the refund policy.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
4. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 14:04 Flatline

I'm hoping for either a Far Cry 4 sale or a Dragon Age Inquisition sale.

I'd like to play either of them but money's tight due to the holidays.

198. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 13:52 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:49:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:42:
Hope this helps others!
Thanks that does help.
I've been trying to master the art of refueling for a while now.
So far I got to the point of skim the surface until my heat gets to 120% than fly away from the star than turn around and take another pass and try to curve around the star just to stay at a distance where my heat meter doesn't move up, but ones it does I fly away again.
I think 130% is where you start taking damage from heat.

If you have EDTraker or IRTracker I tend to do the fueling trick with placing the star at the top of your windshield. Though I just "look up" and get it right to the place where I want.

And yes, 130% is where you start getting heat damage if memory serves.

197. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 13:50 Flatline

Lorcin wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 10:54:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 10:23:
I am not sure if this is new or it was in the beta but I did not notice this before. When you are hitting the enemy ship with bullets and it's shield is down there are all kinds of particles flying off of it and sparks flying everywhere. You can even see some bullets ricochet off of it if you are close enough. It is pretty freaking awesome if you ask me.

I quite agree - getting up close and personnel with a 'conda and blowing chunks off it is so satisfying.

Yeah I've also seen plasma vents and all kinds of shit as damage accumulates. It's pretty awesome really.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 13:48 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:39:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 12:50:
Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:25:
I spent a while wondering what 'c' on the HUD meant for speed. Just the lower case letter c, like we're supposed to know what that is. Like it's universally known ... universally. Universal. The universal constant, i.e. the speed of light! I'm sure it is explained somewhere but it was nice to actually figure out something actually a little bit sciencey, even if I should have twigged quicker.

They probably assumed everyone knew this. I think I learned it before 8th grade. Like, c in E=mc^2 is the speed of light in a vacuum, right?

Stuff I learned at that age was a millennium ago (well, it was the last millennium, same thing ), I can't remember it all! Hell, I barely remember it AT all. I should have recognised it quicker, the special theory of relativity formula was probably where I first encountered it.

I also got the closer measurements wrong, thinking Mm was Nm (nautical miles), and when I realised that was too small, thinking it was million miles before seeing a label in kilometres which caused me to get a clue. This was mostly because I was somewhat overwhelmed; too busy wondering about stuff like where I'm going and what the difference been normal, super-cruise, hyper-cruise, and cruise (which I had assumed from the control binding page was a 4th mode) to be able to register that the distances I had in mind didn't make sense.

Now that I actually know what units it's using, it's not too complicated. c = 300 Mm/s.

Normally complicated concepts are either polished to simplicity or fighting bad UI design is half the battle. This feels polished while maintaining scientific authenticity, even if (thankfully IMHO) it's not a DCS style simulator.

The people bitching about the time super cruise takes don't really understand how mind-bogglingly huge space is. As I pointed out in the official forum, when you're hauling ass out to one of the 10,000 LS (or in alpha centauri, where it's like 1.8 million light seconds between stars in super cruise) you top out at over 1600 times the speed of light.

Even when you're hauling out to something that's like 1100 LS away you end up going faster usually than 100c. That's an *insane* amount of speed and it really makes you feel the vastness of space when you watch, real time, a tiny pinpoint of light that is a star expand into a gargantuan ball of plasma that you can orbit around.

Also, if you visit the forums, be prepared to hate the word "immersion" after a very short interval. People bitch that the game breaks "immersion" constantly over insanely small things.

If I could ban one gaming related term this year I'd ban "immersion" for 2014.

165. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:57 Flatline

Lorcin wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:52:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:39:
Problem with that is it takes a valuable equipment slot. Good to know, though. Didn't realize they were taken out. I've never scooped fuel before. Flying into the sun seems wrong somehow.

You can get more quicker by not flying - just cut your at about 90-100% heat levels and scoop until you hit 135% then break away. You don't take heat damage until you hit 150%.

Oh and remember to cool down before you hit FSD or you will overheat.

If you're at zero speed though interdiction is nearly instantaneous. The only time I've ever successfully interdicted was parked at 30km/s around a star fueling up. Before I could start to steer it was over. So I usually take it *way* down but not all the way down. Or I skim-bounce at 50% throttle.

164. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:54 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 11:26:
What do I have to swap out on my ship to have my guns not overheat so quickly? Also I was going to get a new shield but this tonnage difference make no sense to me. Does that mean my ship will be less maneuverable?

Power distribution system. Makes no sense but it has bigger weapons capacitors.

Short of that you can dump more energy into weapons off your weaps/shields/system balance. In my eagle I usually fly at 3 pips of weapons recharge.

Incidentally, if you notice, gimballed weapons while nice are effectively one grade letter lower in quality than their equal fix mount. So if it feels like your guns do nothing, and you have gimbals, try switching up to fixed hardpoints and see if your damage output goes up.

I find if you can out turn or otherwise keep up with your target gimbals are a waste. They're useful if you can never quite get your nose aligned and need that firing cone however.

161. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:42 Flatline

Rossini wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:45:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:09:
Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:01:
On different topic, did anyone else notice the new frameshift charge icon? It's right underneath the "cargo scoop" part of the gui.

The blue countdown circle thing? Rather than desperately pounding the frameshift drive button when some pirate yanks you out of supercruise it's nice to be able to see when it'll be ready again. Especially when you're in a toothless hauler filled to the brim with cargo.

Has anyone seen if there is an indicator for when 'boost' comes off cooldown?

Yeah when your engine gauge fills up in the power balance meter.

News Comments > Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month
5. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 20:02 Flatline

walrus1 wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:53:
tskiller wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:44:
Umm, why do they need another kickstarter? Didn't they make any money from the first game?
Yep, I wondered this too. I guess horkers and blow ain't cheap/

Well they're developing a miniatures combat game that uses computers or something like that. Which IMHO is a huge risk for such a small company, especially since it's a new IP.

So I'd imagine a lot of their money is tied up in that.

88. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:47 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:28:
Do you need to have the station targeted? May be a dumb question, but I tend to not do that.

I also get confused how you can have a destination lock but then target something else. It seems sometimes the dest lock goes away, other times it stays. Is the lock from your joystick different from the one through the panels?

Edit:
Also, my favorite bug of the weekend! The docking numbers will disappear! So awesome. I'm flying towards bay 3, then it winks out. I try to land there hoping to not get executed...and it works! But it was so annoying when I had no visual contact on the landing zone. I had to leave, cancel docking, then start over.

Not sure about the targeting. I never do target the station. Maybe that's the trick?

As far as I can tell you can have two different "Targets". You can have a nav target that your compass will point to and you can have a "tactical" target that you locate on your radar. The nav target is stuff like nav beacons, stations, stars, planets, etc... The tactical target seems to be ships, cargo, and other "small" stuff.

85. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:25 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:16:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:05:
Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:47:
5. As you cross the threshold of the mailbox, your compass will change to show where your docking bay is. This is useful if your docking bay is right up near the entry port. It's also useful to get your bearings in general since your docking bay can be above you or out of your field of view.
Thanks I actually didn't know this.
So many times I've entered the station and spun around like an idiot looking for my docking platform.
This will help

I am not convinced this is true. I have noticed the compass point changing...but last night it was going into the wrong area. With my luck, 9 times out of 10, the landing bay is right fucking beneath the mail slot. So if you see a retarded lakon 6 *just outside* the trespass zone spinning around...It might be CMDR Vall Forran.

Edit: Too much wine for lunch affecting grammar.

I use it all the time. Give it a try.

74. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:18 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:05:
Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:47:
5. As you cross the threshold of the mailbox, your compass will change to show where your docking bay is. This is useful if your docking bay is right up near the entry port. It's also useful to get your bearings in general since your docking bay can be above you or out of your field of view.
Thanks I actually didn't know this.
So many times I've entered the station and spun around like an idiot looking for my docking platform.
This will help

Docking became sooooo much less confusing once I realized that. Point at the landing bay, roll to the proper orientation, PROFIT.

70. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 15:47 Flatline

Dala wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:40:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:34:
Ok really stupid question. But how do I dock? I finally found the station where my Eagle is docked and am at a loss as to how to dock without provoking a lethal response. How do I get docking permission?

Press 1, press E, press E, select the name of the station you want to dock at (this is normally at the top of the contacts list), select request docking permission from the menu, wait.

If docking permission is refused, repeat the above.

If you get permission you should be assigned a pad number and about ten minutes to dock. This is plenty of time so it would be best not to rush your first docking attempt.

Further info for first time dockers.

1. You'll by default auto-rotate once you enter the station, so everything should stabilize. This is a good thing.

2. When you drop your landing gear your speed is cut in half and your boost is disabled.

3. Green lights on the letter box are the side you should fly into. This is not a rule however and people ignore it so be careful docking at busy stations.

4. Max shields until you get the hang of it. Trust me on this (4 pips to system, or just hit the down arrow key to equalize power then hit the left arrow key twice to max out sys/shields).

6. Landing is easier than it used to be (you used to have like a 3x3x3 meter "window" that you'd land in) but generally speaking you have to be more or less level, in the center of the landing bullseye, around 10 meters or less above the deck, and zero or almost zero speed. Use your thrusters to get the hang of landing.

2173 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo