Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2399 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
83. Re: The Witcher III Patched May 28, 2015, 12:46 Flatline

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2015, 07:34:
This is actually really cool. I really dig that the outcomes of dialogue options that you choose aren't at all obvious, or that they might completely alter the way the game progresses later on in the playthrough. This game really is something else.

That's been a hallmark of the series. In the first one the first few decisions felt like you were being bushwhacked and they seemed kind of heavy handed but CDPR has gotten a lot better at the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
40. Re: CDPR: May 28, 2015, 12:44 Flatline

KilrathiAce wrote on May 27, 2015, 17:52:
Its interesting? One can beat entire game without any thinking just button mashing even on hardest difficulty, its a fact. If thats interesting then wow.

The only fact in this post is that you clearly haven't played on the hardest difficulty.

News Comments > WildStar Goes Free-to-Play
7. Re: WildStar Goes Free-to-Play May 28, 2015, 12:01 Flatline

Omni wrote on May 28, 2015, 11:41:
please no pay2win.

I'm reading the premium level and it's... not great but not bad. Guilds are premium, crafting lets you craft better items (-15% to the power level, which basically means you get to throw an extra stat point or three onto the item you're crafting), you can join war parties whatever they are, and the normal assortment of extra credits, extra auction hall sells, extra items in your home, and a few other things.

Apparently as you play the game in general you accumulate loyalty points that let you unlock several of the paid tier perks like warparties and guilds and extra character slots.

Actually on examination it seems to be one of the better F2P setups out there.

It might convince me to get back into the game. I had fun with it but none of my friends would ever play when I played so I never managed to get into the endgame group stuff.

News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
25. Re: CDPR: May 27, 2015, 15:51 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on May 27, 2015, 13:46:
It could be that they've started over with the project. Who knows.

Considering how good the Witcher 3 is turning out to be, I would hope they're taking the same template and building Cyber 2077 to be just like the Witcher 3. If that means scrapping what they have so far then so be it.

They said CP77 will use the Witcher 3 engine and be similar in "open" nature. At least, that's what they said a while back.

I get it. They're going to push out the big-ass 2 expansion packs and they need to generate revenue to support any big projects.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
42. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 11:49 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on May 21, 2015, 10:29:
Squirmer wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:47:
InBlack wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:34:
The Witcher3 looks and runs GREAT. Even on older hardware.
Only thing that matters, time to move on.

It does not! Intel Xeon E5-1650 3.20GHz(essentially 12 threads), 48 gigs of ram and GTX 670 here and I can barely run the game in 1080p in medium. I sure as hell ain't getting 60 fps either. That game looks good, but not as good as it should for my hardware. I think the game is badly optimised. Also, the pre-rendered cutscenes run like sh*t. Like, 10 fps.

Is it playable? Yes. Does it run "GREAT"? Hellz no.

I'm running a 3 year old I5 3.2ghz, 32 gigs of memory, and an ati R9 290 that's about 18 months old and I can run everything at high bordering into ultra and the only thing I see is a weird artifact where every now and again you drop frames inside dialogue. Otherwise I'm getting at least 40FPS no problem.

Could running a server grade CPU be one reason why your performance is shit?

38. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 11:39 Flatline

Lord Tea wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:45:

Nope. Wrong. I don't understand. Plenty of games out there that are PC only and do/did extremely well. Wasteland 2 for example. And tons of other indie games.

Seriously? Wasteland 2's entire gross sales probably couldn't fund Witcher 3's development. We're talking entirely different game scales.

The only indie game that is PC only and raised enough cash is Star Citizen, and that's a really, really weird anomaly in the indie scene.

35. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 11:34 Flatline

InBlack wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:16:
Called it a few days ago when these concerns were first voiced!

It's good to see that the devs are so open and honest about it, but in all likelyhood they would have stayed silent if (I believe it was one of their former employees?) the guy who broke the story stayed silent on the issue.

No shit. If it wouldn't have been a big enough deal for anyone to say anything about, why generate bad press for yourself?

I doubt anyone on the board here is as honest as they expect CDPR to be.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released
75. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 20, 2015, 14:47 Flatline

Gotta say the art direction is *gorgeous* at times. The first time I rode into the bog forest and the wind kicked up it made me shiver it looked and sounded so great.

I need to update my drivers but using old drivers I get pretty smooth performance in game and in dialogue i drop frames. It's weird.

I'm not a fan of Geralt's movement out of combat. I suspect a patch will fix that though.

Having lots of fun though.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 19, 2015, 16:55 Flatline

Aero wrote on May 19, 2015, 13:39:
That's a really unfortunate name.

Yes, I totally read that as dildo too.

37. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 11:56 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2015, 11:06:
Flatline wrote on May 19, 2015, 10:57:
Scatterblak wrote on May 19, 2015, 07:49:
It's 3rd person, and immersion is just not very good. If there was a viable 1st-person option, I (and a lot of other people) would be way into it. 3rd person only changes it from being a personal adventure to something akin to being nearsighted and playing with dolls.

How the hell do you incorporate any kind of swordplay into 1-st person mode? Doubly so for Geralt's acrobatic twirling shit. People bitched when Mirror's Edge came out and did first person acrobatics with somersaults and twirling and stuff because it made them motion sick.

This "immersion" argument seems to be the big cop out to torpedo any game for any bullshit reason. I've seen people in the Elite forums complain that if there is ever a stutter or a frame drop that it "completely destroys the immersion of the game" and therefore the game sucks.

First person melee combat has been done well in a ton of games. Of course, the combat would be very different from what's currently in the Witcher. One solution would be to go into third person when combat starts, but I'd rather just have first person combat also, if I had to choose.

I did say sword play and not melee combat.

So I'm going to request a few examples here, because I can't think of any.

And if we're going to wave the "immersion-breaking" dick around, watching a sword model waggle back and forth in front of my field of view like a hostile windshield wiper breaks my immersion.

33. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 10:57 Flatline

Scatterblak wrote on May 19, 2015, 07:49:
It's 3rd person, and immersion is just not very good. If there was a viable 1st-person option, I (and a lot of other people) would be way into it. 3rd person only changes it from being a personal adventure to something akin to being nearsighted and playing with dolls.

How the hell do you incorporate any kind of swordplay into 1-st person mode? Doubly so for Geralt's acrobatic twirling shit. People bitched when Mirror's Edge came out and did first person acrobatics with somersaults and twirling and stuff because it made them motion sick.

This "immersion" argument seems to be the big cop out to torpedo any game for any bullshit reason. I've seen people in the Elite forums complain that if there is ever a stutter or a frame drop that it "completely destroys the immersion of the game" and therefore the game sucks.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced
14. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced May 18, 2015, 19:24 Flatline

ShakaUVM wrote on May 18, 2015, 18:39:
Endless Legend was fun for one playthrough, but it has some pretty serious balance issues that simplify all those seeming options down into just steamrolling your opponents.

At least that's an option. When I first started playing Endless Space the AI with 2 systems left could outproduce half the galaxy. I'd create the fucking fleet of the ages as fast as I possibly could, stage them, and run them smack into an AI fleet that was like 25% bigger.

I never went back to it after that.

News Comments > etc.
26. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 13:41 Flatline

Squirmer wrote on May 18, 2015, 01:00:
Flatline wrote on May 17, 2015, 23:48:
It still is actually relevant. It suggests that less than 1% of the people "associated" with GG by anti-GGers is responsible for pretty much all the GG harassment during that 20 day period.
Yeah if you assume that everyone contributing to the harassment is actually reported to Twitter in that 20 day period. Which is clearly a silly assumption to make.

Again, this WAM report is based on the reports received by victims or "bystanders". They did not specifically investigate those accounts. You can't use these figures to prove how many GGers engaged in harassment.

(I don't even think this is an important point in the wider context of GG, by the way, I'm just countering the blog's attempt to spin these figures to fit their ludicrous headline.)

So in other words this report is completely useless for any purpose whatsoever.

Which interestingly enough was *not* your initial point.

Edit: Because I know that you'll move the goalposts, this is the original point I'm referencing:

BicycleRepairMan is right, it means 12% of all reports received by WAM were related to GamerGate, which is actually really huge and this GamerGate blogger is trying to spin the numbers some other way.

Then when your point gets dismantled all of a sudden this report isn't good for very much.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2015, 11:57 Flatline

LittleMe wrote on May 17, 2015, 18:10:
I'm having second thoughts on W3. Here's another. It's not just about graphics, but what else have they butchered? It's screaming 'consolitis' right now and it's not even born yet.

CDPR already said that they had to make sacrifices due to a specific console they declined to name (but we all know is the xbox). They said something about two different rendering pipelines if they didn't make compromises, and that they didn't have the budget. Which sucks, but that's the way AAA games break these days. If you want to have massive games you have to push them out to all the popular platforms. And if one is significantly gimpier than the others, you aim at the lowest common denominator.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 17, 2015, 23:48 Flatline

Squirmer wrote on May 17, 2015, 19:17:
BicycleRepairMan is right, it means 12% of all reports received by WAM were related to GamerGate, which is actually really huge and this GamerGate blogger is trying to spin the numbers some other way.

NKD wrote on May 17, 2015, 18:35:
I don't think you read through it correctly. Refer to this image.

Only 65 of the 9844 accounts on the blocklist were reported for harassment. Thats less than 1%.
Irrelevant. WAM collected reports of harassment over a 20-day period, it didn't specifically investigate all of those accounts. You can't make a claim that less than 1% of accounts engaged in harassment, because that's not what this WAM report looked at.

Would be nice if Blue linked to the actual report instead of a biased interpretation of it.

It still is actually relevant. It suggests that less than 1% of the people "associated" with GG by anti-GGers is responsible for pretty much all the GG harassment during that 20 day period.

So you can draw one of two conclusions:

1. Anti-GGers are casting such a wide net in their persecution that they're getting a fuck-ton of innocent non-GGer people caught up in their cross hairs. And that's seriously fucked up.

2. GGers in general aren't harassers, and the issue is limited to a very small minority voice that is exceptionally loud.

I guess you could draw a different conclusion if you're convinced the majority of GamerGate is full of harassment abusers:

3. For whatever reason, the vast majority of GGers STFU during a 20 day period at the height of the GGer "controversy", possibly to present skewed numbers like this study shows. Because controversy.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2015, 12:59 Flatline

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on May 15, 2015, 09:37:
These youngsters don’t have a monopoly on good ideas, on innovation, on passion, on energy. We’re just as bad-ass. We totally are.

In principle, I'm sympathetic to the sort of thing being discussed here. But 'We're just as badass! We totally are!' just makes me cringe.

Also, don't call them youngsters.

Get off my lawn!

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic
39. Re: The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic May 15, 2015, 12:30 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2015, 12:20:
That's very interesting If true though, then Witchers would be royally fucked if higher ancient monsters would actually cooperate against them or flat out hunt them though. Never quite understood why at least the intelligent monsters don't do that in this universe, but I guess it would make for a very short book

Very true. Thankfully for the monsters though humans seem to be doing a pretty good job of hunting down witchers

Can't wait for the last books to get translated. They're pretty fun reads.

37. Re: The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic May 15, 2015, 12:13 Flatline

NetHead wrote on May 14, 2015, 23:38:

I don't think it is. Does anyone else think they've cleverly used some actual video footage for parts of the cinematic, such as actors with a green screen then putting the CGI over them.

For example when the Bruxa is loosening her clothing with the water in the background. Also, a better example, when the injured Bruxa is crawling outside of the barn (towards the camera) while being shot from inside, then again a few seconds later when Geralt is walking towards the camera while reaching for his hook.

If I'm wrong, more credit to them, though I'm pretty convinced at this point based on my own opinion which in my opinion is a great opinion lol.

Probably there's some live actor stuff in there. If you watch the Behind The Scenes stuff for Cyberpunk 2077 the cyberpsycho chick is an actress that they digitized:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/71PGfpPg-v8/hqdefault.jpg

There's not a lot of animation there, so that trailer was probably closer to a photoshop job than animation.

So for this, I'd imagine that they took shitloads of pictures for the Bruxa and built a digital model off of that.

Basically, remember the tech behind LA Noir? I have a feeling they're using that to build models. That combined with some mocap (which is pretty common now) probably is behind some of the best CG that you're seeing today. Otherwise trying to animate all the subtlety by hand and all the body language by hand is going to be fucking nigh-on impossible.

36. Re: The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic May 15, 2015, 11:55 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2015, 22:52:
Wolfox wrote on May 14, 2015, 22:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2015, 22:32:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 14, 2015, 20:06:
Black blood potion just destroyed that bitch!

Doesn't make any sense that an ancient intelligent beast would not know about that though. I mean if you make a living by sucking the blood of things, surely you have some RnD going on what to not suck ;p

Only witchers are able to withstand the effects of that potion, so it's unlikely that a bruxa would know of such a thing, unless that bruxa had considerable experience with witchers, which is rather unlikely, as the video proves.

If you were a blood sucking demon vampire of doom, would you suck the blood of the only enemy on the planet that actively hunts you and is known to use potions and poisons, and has poisonous blood which is lore known even to normal folk? Don't get me wrong, dead Bruxa is good Bruxa.. just seemed odd it would fall for THAT trick. Do these monsters not talk to teach other?

No not really actually. They're very solitary and rather rare creatures.

Plus, ever since the first Witcher game the Witchers are kind of scattered to the wind and aren't around much any more. Even most of their alchemy was lost.

As was also pointed out, in "times past" witchers didn't go after Bruxa for contracts. So you've got an unconventional enemy who uses secret and presumed lost alchemy as an insurance policy in case he gets bit.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
84. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 13, 2015, 12:54 Flatline

Task wrote on May 12, 2015, 22:29:
Flatline wrote on May 12, 2015, 19:05:

I've been wanting an Age of Sail game for so long that when AC4 came out I... refused to fast-travel. I literally will only sail in that game and not fast travel because it's probably the last age of sail centric game I'll play for a long, LONG time.

Off Topic: Have you seen this in development game called Naval Action? And get this, its multiplayer! Pirate the seas with your friends and such :), although its not out yet (closed alpha/beta).

Holy shit you just made my day!

2399 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo