Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2558 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WildStar F2P This Month
5. Re: WildStar F2P This Month Sep 3, 2015, 14:05 Flatline

Moment to moment the game was a lot of fun. The environments got kind of interesting and there were some fun set pieces. The world events that would roll through from time to time were an improvement on GW2 and were kind of a blast.

I never was able to get together with my friends though and raid. The hardcore raid thing was what killed it for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
49. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 16:31 Flatline

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:38:
Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 10:10:
Using a server browser on the consoles is fine and a lot of them like dedicated servers now that they can see the advantages. Its an arguing point for PS4/Xbox people on forums. They just didn't know better before hand.
Dedicated servers and server browsers are not inextricably tied together. Personally, I prefer skills-based matchmaking onto ad hoc dedicated servers, and the massive amount of cloud computing out there makes this model cheap and easy to support. Rather than have a few people or groups shell out the money for a single dedicated server to support a single game (at a time), just spin up virtual machines as needed, then drop them when the session has finished.

Then again, matchmaking worked out *so* well for Halo: The Master Chief Collection...

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
165. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 13:14 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 07:45:
btw, the reason they took out co-op and drop-in/drop-out is blatantly obvious. The net code sux.

Well, that, and honestly imagine how hard that would be to implement in an interesting way. You're supposed to be the hero, flying a particularly designated ship for a particularly designated role for a designed mission. Now you have to design it to be interesting for 1-4 people or however many were going to be in co-op.

164. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 12:57 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 06:11:
Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 17:39:
As long as I don't have to pay for the f*cking episodes.
There won't be any additional charges for S42. However, like Star Wars or The Lord Of The Rings, it's part of a trilogy. They will be released as paid expansions further down the line and will help support the costs of running the PU. New content will continue to be released as long as the game is popular, much like with WoW.

In terms of content Chris Roberts has stated that the script for the game and the performance capture shoot that they did is larger than any video game or movie he has ever worked on, so it's not going to be a short experience.

I hope it's a "complete story" and not like plunking my money down got me Walking Dead Episode 1. Now plunk down more money for Episode 2. It needs to be a complete experience. A novel in a series is fine but a chapter is not.

As much as I gave shit to Starcraft 2 for taking essentially 15 years to come out if it is on a similar level of narration I can live with that. You had a whole story told that was part of a bigger story.

154. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 17:39 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 16:09:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:46:
Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:05:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:24:
Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

I actually agree with you I'd rather they take their time on SQ42 and knock it out of the park, since that's about 98% of why I invested to begin with. Leaving out multiplayer will piss off a lot of people but as much as I shake my head at all the shuffling going on, I consider leaving out drop-in co-op to be *good* news.

IIRC, they'll first release the first half of SQ42? And that will come end of 2015, first half of 2016? When might we see the rest of it?

The Squadron 42 history is a little wild by now. There was not a bleep about an episodic release during the KS days. So originally it was going to be a full release.
Then a few months before Foundry 42 in Manchester got going (where S42 is being made) Erin Roberts revealed that it was going to be episodic.
The initial plan was to deliver it in about four or five episodes for the 50 missions total. As usual they had a crazy overambitious plan. I remember that Chris said there were going to be ~3 months between episodes. I lol'ed.

So much for the history class. The latest plan is three episodes AFAIK but I can't remember hearing anything about the spacing. If they want to achieve the original vision, however, then it better be rapid fire mode because as per Chris Roberts' vision we're supposed to start our careers in Squadron 42 and then drop out and continue as "star citizens" in the PU.
Remember: The FULL PU is still scheduled for late 2016 according to Chris Roberts so we should see all three episodes between now and then. Yeah. I lol'ed again.

As long as I don't have to pay for the f*cking episodes.

If that happens I'll donate money to Smart's legal pursuits just to make their lives miserable.

150. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 15:05 Flatline

Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

I actually agree with you I'd rather they take their time on SQ42 and knock it out of the park, since that's about 98% of why I invested to begin with. Leaving out multiplayer will piss off a lot of people but as much as I shake my head at all the shuffling going on, I consider leaving out drop-in co-op to be *good* news.

148. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 15:01 Flatline

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:52:
Actually you're wrong there. Even on the kickstarter page it says that the "single player" game will be online for "drop in/drop out multiplayer!".

So yeah, SQ42, according to the kickstarter page as of... oh ... 12 seconds ago, is waiting on netcode, matchmaking, and probably 3rd person animations.

I suspect his CR ultimate goal is to have SQ42 occur *inside* the PU. That was the pitch anyway. SQ42 occurs, then your character moves on into the PU and plays around.
Actually, they've stated that the co-op missions are going to be part of the PU and come later - they'll be accessed via Arena Commander. The singleplayer is playable entirely offline. So no, it doesn't need netcode. However, even if it did need netcode, matchmaking and third-person animations they could all come after the initial release.

As I've said, I remain sceptical that S42 will hit this year or be ready any time soon (I'm predicting mid-to-late 2016) but it's possible. Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

*shakes head*

This game changes faster than a game of 3 card monte.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 1, 2015, 14:28 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 20:52:
98% sausage fest at Ashley Madison. That's a lot of allegedly fake new user accounts to create.

It was something like 31 million men vs 11,000 women.

So it's more like 99.9996% a sausage fest.

But at least Ashley Madison has reached the "5 9's of uptime" goal before Microsoft has.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Sep 1, 2015, 14:15 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:10:
@ HoSpanky,

Heh, your comment reminds me of this Southpark Ep. That was a great one.

I remember reading the experiences of a transgender person. He said he used to be a total butch lesbian and when (at that time) she would see a cute girl, she'd think how she'd like to go to coffee, have great conversation, hold hands, write poetry about her, etc. Then he started taking hormone therapy, and he'd see a cute girl walking toward him, and suddenly he'd get the uncontrollable urge to check out her tits and ass. He'd have this incredible internal struggle to not do it, but invariably after the girl had passed, he'd turn around and check out her ass. It was fascinating to get this before-and-after description. It struck me as a stark explanation of the power of testosterone in men.

Yeah one of my trans friends who went from total butch to man mentioned over a couple of benders on rum with me the changes in his thought process as he got testosterone. It was similar. He went from originally being kind of sophisticated in his attraction to "DAT AZZ!" levels.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 1, 2015, 13:59 Flatline

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:23:
Bosanac wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:18:
Ugh, again with Blue posting this SJW propaganda bullshit? Is he not aware of what a lying, thieving, morally bankrupt person this bitch is?

I'm done with BluesNews.. time to find another site that doesn't propagate this drivel.

And...once again, anyone who uses the phrase "social justice warrior" as a pejorative is waving a big red flag for "self-absorbed douchebag". Thanks for self-identifying for us.

I prefer the term "tissue thin skinned whiners" myself.

At this point I don't feed the trolls. Although I am expecting my facebook feed to presently fill up as the women on it stop from posting mostly nude beefcake photos of firefighters to post this video and growl gurl power or something like that. Then go right back to posting pictures of mostly nude firefighters.

142. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 12:52 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 11:44:
At this point it's too early to say if S42 will be delayed. People weren't expecting the social module yet it was demoed and released quite quickly. Many of the issues with Star Marine don't directly affect S42 - it doesn't rely on netcode, third person player animations or matchmaking, which have been the main reasons for the SM delay. It's still possible that CIG will surprise people and reveal S42 at CitizenCon and announce it will be released on schedule this year, though I personally think that's unlikely.

Actually you're wrong there. Even on the kickstarter page it says that the "single player" game will be online for "drop in/drop out multiplayer!".

So yeah, SQ42, according to the kickstarter page as of... oh ... 12 seconds ago, is waiting on netcode, matchmaking, and probably 3rd person animations.

I suspect his CR ultimate goal is to have SQ42 occur *inside* the PU. That was the pitch anyway. SQ42 occurs, then your character moves on into the PU and plays around.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Patch & DLC
1. Re: Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Patch & DLC Sep 1, 2015, 12:40 Flatline

I keep trying desperately to get into this game and it's just as bland as wallpaper paste. I'm glad I only spent 12 bucks on it but after the interesting tutorial you're dumped into a bland area killing f*cking squibs and scamps for hours. It's not fun.  

105. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 16:18 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:06:
The stretch goal is for 100 of these social module powered levels. They said that over the years it would increase to 800. The information all out there and I have it in my blogs using sourced material straight from CR himself

Not to mention "playable levels" that are all of the ships for boarding actions and shit. Some of those big-ass craft that have been sold already look like small towns. And supposedly there will be bigger ships than that.

103. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 16:15 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:09:
BadIronTree wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:41:
More info here
Polygon

That was a good, well written, article. Recommended reading for Black Knights, White Knights, Derek Smart and all of theyarecomingforyou's "usual trolls".

This quote was interesting:

Roberts scoffs at the notion that the company will run out of money before the final game is delivered. "It's not going to happen. We keep a pretty healthy cash reserve. We managed our expenses based on the revenue we bring in. We have our development timeline and we know what we're doing. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it.

That honestly sounds... concerning.

However it also suggests that this is how SC is going to make it's money: Perpetually selling ships at marked up prices akin to World of Tanks.

Which makes sense. You gotta pay the server and bandwith bills *somehow*.

82. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 13:29 Flatline

SlimRam wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 12:53:
Eh, from what I have read Roberts will drop tons of time and manpower into a whim of his no matter how far fetched it seems just to see how he likes it. If it blows, then he moves on ala: The Helmet Menu. The problem with this is that the money and time it may take to create this and ALSO the fact that development is so, somewhat, transparent AND the fact that it's 'real peoples' money makes crazy shit he may try and fail seem like he's a mad man that's just jerking off with no sense of time frame or budget. I'm guessing that one of Mayberry's jobs was to reel Roberts back in and...now Alex is gone soooooo is somebody holding Chris' reins?

Yeah I've heard that too. It explains actually most of SC's development.

One thing, I'm never giving the dude a dime of my money again. Especially not on a "trust me!" basis.

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
220. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 Flatline

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 22:39:
That wouldn't even buy 1 tyre for my car...

*Shrugs* 350 is like seriously 2 weeks in the mountains for me.

Or a round trip ticket to New Orleans.

But hey, if you feel like dropping a thousand dollars on tires, I got a limited edition concept of an eventual ship that I'd like to sell you!

76. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 12:02 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 11:41:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 11:36:
Well, I really hope that the current animations are still the CryEngine default character animations and nothing CIG spent any backer money on. These are by far the shittiest animations I have seen in a very long time. Some of the emote animations are OK-ish but all the basic and general stuff like running, walking backwards, crouching, side-stepping, jumping etc. is outright abysmal. It's completely unnatural looking as if the characters had a metal rod for a spine and zero flexibility in their knees and hips.
This is going to be the laughing stock of the gaming world if they release the FPS module Star Marine with such crappy animations.

In a dev update, they said that they were going to continue using the older (and current) animations for the foreseeable future. They're going mocap, but apparently it's for the SQ42.

I do expect that they will use the new animations for Star Marine. Though I could be wrong.

Either way, yeah, for $90m, 500+ people at the peak of dev, and four years, these are the animations we have.

As to this social module, well...

What's crazy is that in 4 years they've pumped out about the same content as most free mods still in alpha after like... 2 years. Only with the mod scene you're dealing with a dozen people donating their time.

70. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 11:41 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 21:29:
Flatline wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 20:53:
So how big is the total SC install now? 60 gigs?

It's about 32gb or so. They still make you completely re-download the game with a torrent connection. Unless you really want to immerse yourself in the extra 15 minutes of content, I'd say hit up youtube.

So the social module of one map and one model only takes up 2 gigs?

Jesus they're getting "efficient"!

33. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 20:53 Flatline

So how big is the total SC install now? 60 gigs?  

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
7. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 28, 2015, 19:49 Flatline

The idea of a Boarderlands movie seems like a goofier, ultraviolent version of Firefly.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

2558 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo