Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jimmy Sieben

Real Name Jimmy Sieben   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname EvlG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Programmer, Gearbox Software
Homepage http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/
Signed On Feb 18, 2000, 09:48
Total Comments 11 (Suspect)
User ID 3225

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. NAT Negotiation an option Dec 11, 2003, 20:04 EvlG

Newer games (such as Halo PC) use NAT negotiation schemes to connect to games hosted behind NATs when everyone is NAT'd. Check out STUN for an example of a more formal protocol specification.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: That sure does suck Aug 30, 2003, 17:21 EvlG

I forgot the add this to the end of my post: the idea is not to move the proposition away from the end. Rather, the idea is to rewrite the sentence using a clearer verb or other construction at the end.

44. Re: That sure does suck Aug 30, 2003, 17:20 EvlG

Most of the sentences ending in propositions can be rewritten using other words and will sound better.

For example, "This is the sort of English I cannot put up with " becomes "This is the sort of English I cannot tolerate". "It's the most curious book I've ever run across" becomes "It's the most curious book I've ever encountered."

Note that the rewritten sentences are almost always more concise. I think that is the reason for the rule.

News Comments > Netscape 7 Released
19. Address Bar Aug 29, 2002, 20:21 EvlG

BTW, the Address Bar that lives in the Taskbar just does a Windows Shell Open URL command - whatever you have set for your default browser, that will open the page.

So Mozilla (or Opera, or anything else) can do that as well...

News Comments > Netscape 7 Released
18. Poor Security Aug 29, 2002, 20:20 EvlG

One of the major reasons I gave up IE long ago (around Mozilla M18) was the poor security record. Serious vulnerabilities come out for IE on a regular basis - I'm not keen on having someone crack my computer just because I visited their website!

Sure Mozilla has had security holes of its own, but as far as I can tell they have been fewer and less severe.

On top of that, the browser is Open Source, which means anyone can audit it at any time if they like, and can add new features too.

In short, Mozilla (and Netscape by association) rocks.

7. The missing news? Oct 28, 2001, 16:34 EvlG

Hey Blue,
Is the news from the missing days in that archive? I don't recall offhand which days are missing from the Bluesnews archives, but perhaps that wayback machine has it?

4. No Problems Here Sep 4, 2001, 10:14 EvlG

I've used Eudora for something like 5 or 6 years now, and I have never had a problem with it recovering email either. In fact, I always thought Eudora had one of the most complete IMAP implementations available.

A few times it has crashed when it tries to download email headers. However, usually everything works fine when I reload the program. A couple of times reloading wouldn't fix it, but if I just deleted the IMAP cache, forcing Eudora to rebuild it from the server, everything worked fine.

On a side note, I do wish Eudora would add useful new featueres to the program rather than that stupid MoodWatch crap. I mean, really, who bothers to use that? I for one would like decent multiple monitor support. Having to move the window over to the 2nd monitor everytime I load it is irritating. Perhaps Qualcomm will get around to it eventually...

News Comments > Battle.Net US East Expands
5. Re: Eggselent. Aug 25, 2001, 20:49 EvlG

Dunno. Get the expansion though. Its awesome.

News Comments > Earth and Beyond Update
1. I don't get it Aug 14, 2001, 16:50 EvlG

How are their avatars any different from any other 3d model for players used in computer games?

I read through the piece, and it seemed like a lot of hype generating fluff. I fail to see how they are any different from the Q3 player models, for instance. Anyone have any insight?

News Comments > Quake 4, Untitled id Game Revealed
14. How is the Nerve Game an id Game? Aug 10, 2001, 17:39 EvlG

Remember the press release a few weeks ago? "NEW ID GAMES AT QUAKECON." The Raven project is vaguely an id game, since it is Quake, but how is a new property developed by Nerve an id Game? Did I miss something?

15. Not so bad this year Aug 8, 2001, 17:58 EvlG

This year isn't so bad in Texas. I've lived here for the past 3 years going to college, and I must say, this seems like the most bearable of the 3 by far. I remember last year being a real scorcher; this year is actually pretty bearable.

What a shame that Blue and co. can't make it down, as it isn't too bad now

11 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo