Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zarkov

Real Name Zarkov   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 9, 2006, 11:36
Total Comments 48 (Suspect)
User ID 31265

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Speed Announced
9. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 16:12 Zarkov

Not sure if it's the speeds that make you dizzy, or the low framerates in that video. :/

Is that a Youtube limitation? Looks like barely 20 FPS in some scenes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unconfirmed Grand Theft Auto V PC Listing Shows March Date
21. Re: Unconfirmed Grand Theft Auto V PC Listing Shows March Date Sep 25, 2013, 13:13 Zarkov

Kristian Joensen wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 10:34:
The way I read the Norwegian text is that it costs 1274 NOK if you buy it using store credit. In other words if you borrow the money from komplett.no you end up paying 1274 NOK(~212 USD) in total(price of game + interest + fees).
That's correct. The site automatically gives you the details for a purchase using monthly payments. This becomes ridiculous for cheaper products due to the fixed fees (such as 10 CD-R disks for 900 NOK instead of the cash price of 59 NOK).

News Comments > Console Grand Theft Auto V in September
22. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:36 Zarkov

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:07:
I bought an xbox just for GTA4.
I actually had plans to buy a console just for that game as well, but seeing it in a store on a PS3 with choppy graphics turned me off in a major way. Still not sure if it was some PAL/NTSC problems or what the heck was happening, silky smooth it was not.

It's a bit concerning that it's still the same old consoles this time around.

I can still remember the light nausea caused by driving motorcycles through alleys in San Andreas on a PS2 with about 15 FPS...

News Comments > Console Grand Theft Auto V in September
14. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:01 Zarkov

nin wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 13:16:
Yeah, I was just thinking some folks thought 4 was too easy. It was the first one I was able to finish, I'll say that.

Well, here's hoping they stick to somewhat easier missions than the nightmares of the earlier games.

Otherwise, with all the random stuff going on, we're back to repeating frustrating stuff tirelessly with zero mistakes until you get the blessing of the RNG to proceed.

News Comments > World of Warcraft PTR Patch Notes
11. Re: World of Warcraft PTR Patch Notes Jan 14, 2012, 08:54 Zarkov

Frijoles wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 14:59:
They don't really want to login since they're bored, but there's nothing else to play. That and they have a huge amount of time invested in their characters, so they don't want to quit.

The cost of playing a MMO has nothing to do with the subscription fee.

News Comments > Just Cause Film Moves Forward, Third Game Coming
13. Re: Just Cause Film Moves Forward, Third Game Coming Dec 14, 2011, 17:07 Zarkov

I hope they add some method of tracking down government installations (given the setup is fairly similar in the next game). Maybe bribing locals to let you know where they are or something similar.

Or maybe it was just me who sort of hit a wall trying to reach 100%...

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 4M; MineCon & Version 1.0 Approach
13. Re: Minecraft Sells 4M; MineCon & Version 1.0 Approach Nov 7, 2011, 15:40 Zarkov

Donkey_Punch wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 12:46:
Ah cool. It has moved on the website and been modified but the promise pretty much stands. Nice find. Thanks.

I bought the game back in alpha 1.2-something, and I'm fairly certain that wording has been the same since then at least.

To those who are surprised about the 4M sales, this is just the result of filling a gap in what games were available, and doing that pretty well too.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't commercial (AAA) alternatives being created right now using faster and better (non-Java) engines.

It's actually not that the graphics must improve, however the rendering capacity isn't that good right now with heavy initial pop-ups, limited viewing distance, limited map height etc.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
37. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 2, 2011, 17:48 Zarkov

Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 13:36:
Will every building be enter-able? Of course not, unless you want the game to take 20 years, cost $5,000 and ship on 80 Blu Ray discs.
The Frontier (Elite 2) universe contained about 100 billion star systems, was coded by one person in assembly language, and the uncompressed executable weighed in at about 400kB. Just sayin.

Sure, bit of apples and oranges here, but Frontier was released 18 years ago. Imagine if that technology had advanced as much as texture sizes and polygon counts...

News Comments > Syndicate Gameplay Trailer
23. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 16:30 Zarkov

Overon wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 12:11:
Does any game have any original or even semi original ideas anymore?

I think there are plenty of original ideas out there. The problem is the same as were seeing with movies now - it's less risky to refurbish something that people are familiar with, than to try something brand new. The development cost of an AAA title is so large, that a complete sales failure closes the curtains on many game studios.

News Comments > WoW Your Friends for Free
11. Re: WoW Your Friends for Free Jun 25, 2011, 17:57 Zarkov

Frijoles wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 15:53:
I'd give this to my friend, but that'd make me feel like a crack dealer.

I would never recommend anyone to start playing a progress-based MMO, for the same reason.

News Comments > Duke Nukem History of a Legend 3
3. Re: Duke Nukem History of a Legend 3 Jun 22, 2011, 15:45 Zarkov

Having played through the game, I don't think it's that horrendous after all. Not fantastic, but not really awful either.

The only real mystery I see when it comes to the game design, is the two weapon limit. Memory constraints on consoles or something? Either way, it undeniably lessens the game.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 19, 2011, 16:23 Zarkov

Battlefield 3 to run in 720p, 30fps on consoles

At least you know it wont run smoothly before you buy it. But it should mean it will perform pretty good in higher resolutions on a decent PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 25, 2009, 15:53 Zarkov

every achievement in any video game is a non-achievement

Getting 100% on Through the fire and flames on expert in GH3 is probably a bigger achievement than getting the Nobel peace prize.

News Comments > MechScape Cancelled
9. Re: MechScape Cancelled Oct 29, 2009, 17:33 Zarkov

Now, I'm not saying it's easy to design computer games in a good way, or manage developers that are creating them according to those designs.

But if you're "near completion" with your (I'm guessing) "tens of millions of pounds"-project, only to realize that it doesn't do the things it was supposed to, someone probably needs to get fucking fired.

News Comments > WoW Sales Wow
17. Re: WoW Sales Wow Jul 29, 2009, 19:31 Zarkov

I'd say that WoW is a success mostly because it's a very high quality game.

Sure, in a way it's just another MMO with the same simplistic repetitive gameplay as most of the others.

But if you look at the amount of content that's there, and the polish of that content, nothing else comes close really.

I wouldn't say that it's impossible to compete with WoW. But just throwing together the same basic building blocks, and then assume you have something that can match it, will of course amount to little more than an expensive mistake.

It will require a colossal effort with design and quality control, as well as a pathological attention to detail - by the best talents available - to even stand a chance.

News Comments > LucasArts Gets Steam Heat
25. Re: LucasArts Gets Steam Heat Jul 8, 2009, 16:58 Zarkov

I just don't understand why I should pay a premium for a digital distribution compared to one where you actually get a box that even has to be shipped to you?

Sure, in this case $4.99 isn't an arm and a leg ... but we're talking about titles here that are roughly 900 years old.

Obviously they have done the math and this is what they came up with, but it just seems to me like it would be better to really go for volumes, given that the cost of each new "copy" produced basically is zero, especially for small older games...

News Comments > L4D Free Trial This Week
37. Re: L4D Free Trial This Week Apr 30, 2009, 19:29 Zarkov

Survival was basically boring for me during the first go.

I'd much prefer a game mode more in line with the "traditional" zombie movies, i.e. larger accessible (less linear) areas where you could use vehicles, build barricades etc. An option to get rid of the "artificial co-op devices" known as the specials wouldn't hurt either IMHO.

Sure, it was a free addition, but if they instead had managed to get the SDK out before this game becomes lukewarm, I think the community would have cooked something similar up fairly quick. And probably a lot of other cool stuff as well.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2009, 19:57 Zarkov

At best, the most well-intentioned insurgent is merely a useful idiot for terrorist masterminds to further their psychotic ideology.

I guess the same can be said for the U.S. troops operating under the Bush administration (and, unfortunately, onwards it seems).

How much terror will the million corpses piled up in Iraq, courtesy of the "Allied forces", bring forth in return?

Some 16 intelligence agencies warned the administration about it, but I guess they couldn't hear because of all the noise coming from the strings being pulled by the military industrial complex and "answers-to-no-one" think tanks.

But wait, now there's going to be "change"! ... just like all the other presidents have promised for the past 50 years or so.

How do we really determine who's on the "terrorist/thug" side of things? Well maybe civilian body count could be used?

News Comments > Steamworks Versus DRM
10. Re: Steamworks Versus DRM Mar 24, 2009, 13:19 Zarkov

The Steamworks matchmaking now includes the robust lobby system shipped and tested in Left 4 Dead.

There is no doubt in my mind those events took place in that specific order.

Want to host a server locally for use over the internet (so you know you wont get disconnected halfway through or get some strange mods)?

Easy, just enable cheats and change some variables and it might work!

I must have missed something regarding the L4D lobby system, because from where I'm sitting it's just crap.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2009, 13:21 Zarkov

I don't think it's Japan's official position that rape should be glorified.

Apparently they haven't censored the game though, for which they deserve credit.

With the current number of west-developed "murder simulators" out there, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to point fingers (or scream for genocide)?

48 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo