Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ian Rae

Real Name Ian Rae   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Justus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2006, 16:15
Total Comments 5 (Suspect)
User ID 31087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Countdown?
12. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2008, 00:33 Justus

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and its follow-up, Judgment Rites, were also both excellent.

I still remember the shock and horror expressed by the away team when you set your phasers to kill. "My God, Jim! How could you?!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Releases Steamworks
10. Re: ... Jan 29, 2008, 14:14 Justus

so, it's basically a way for devs to put their game on steam? or am i reading it wrong?

From my interpretation, I would say it's not just a way to put your game on Steam (though I'm sure it makes it very easy to do that, if you want to) but rather it exposes some of the other functionality that you see in the Orange Box but not in non-Valve offerings.

Essentially, this means that instead of opting to implement all of these features on their own, developers can instead pay Valve to use their implementation. In general, I think this is a good thing, as the Valve implementations aren't bad, and some of them (like the stats tracking info we've seen released about the Orange Box games) seem quite polished. Paying Valve for these features will free game developers to work on other things, and will also make gamers happy as it'll reduce the odds that we'll be stuck with, for example, a crappy in-game server browser or some half-assed community features (oddly, I think of Relic Online when I say this, possibly as the result of too much CoH play).

In reference to the forced authentication issue, I would imagine that the game developer has some control over how much of Valve's authentication they use. I could easily see it being a simple turn-key solution for generating/validating CD keys that doesn't require constant online presence. That might not be true, of course, but given the press release's mention of "distributed via retail or online platforms" I'd say they're pretty much forced to offer at least some flexibility there.

Also note that they stated that the features can be purchased a la carte, so it's not a given that every game which pays for the service will have possibly undesirable features like auto-updating.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2007, 12:26 Justus

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Nears
21. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2007, 14:50 Justus

BF2 with bad weapons and vehicles? That's actually a totally different feel than I got.

I'm not going to try to defend the game too much here--it's not for everyone--but I would say it feels like an ET game. Although I didn't play WolfET in any competitive sense, I did play it casually for quite a long time; I feel that ETQW is a fairly worthy successor. It's definitely not a Battlefield-style game, though, as it's substantially more infantry focused and the maps aren't (or at least don't feel) nearly as large.

You can decide for yourself when the demo comes, anyways.

News Comments > New ETQW Beta
21. Re: Suckage? SIR, YES, SIR!!! Aug 3, 2007, 19:11 Justus

The game does have an auto-update feature (they used it for the 1.1 patch). The reasoning behind beta 2 was that they had made enough changes to the engine that it wouldn't have been beneficial to put it out in the form of a patch--I assume that this means that the patch file size would have been very close to the total size of the file. Furthermore, most of the 800MB download is actually art, given that there's a new map and I'm sure that they've made changes and improvements to the textures since they released beta 1.

Also, you CAN use your beta 1 key with this beta. If you were registered for beta 1, your account information is still there; just log in with the same username and password that you had before instead of creating a new online account.

5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo