Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Will W
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 16, 2006, 17:56
Total Comments 194 (Novice)
User ID 31007

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > New PCIe Sound Blaster Cards
14. Re: I already have an XFI PCIe May 16, 2008, 13:03 Will W

I've got to agree with ShavenUK on this one. I'm disappointed in how Creative dealt with Daniel_K, whatever their reasons. I also will not buy a Creative card again. I would say "ever", but if they're the only ones to come out with some super new technology, that would make me a liar. So long as there are comparable choices, however, I will avoid Creative even if it hurts my wallet a bit more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Age of Conan Getting Very Testy
14. Re: Age of Conan Forums.... May 13, 2008, 11:58 Will W

Beaver -> I haven't read the WoW forums in well over a year. There was a good amount of crap posting on there too, but in the early days of the game it seemed like it was alot less...or moderated better, not sure which. Of course, that was a LONG time ago, and my memory dies grow bad with old age and alcohol, so I could just be remembering it differently.

I played for a while, enjoyed the game up till the end of Duskwood, but then it felt like it became a chore to level...and most people I ended up grouping with were more interested in zipping through the content then enjoying the quests. Anyhow, I did finally get to level 60 and then found that there was nothing left to keep my interest as I'm not very interested in the big raids and repeating the same content multiple times just to "gear up".

My opinion, and it is just an opinion, on why WoW is such a success is based on the number of users who have been in there for a long time perceiving a value in what their character owns. I think it's hard for alot of people to just stop playing and move on to a new game, using the logic of how much time and effort they've put into a game, how geared up their character is, and how well they know the content. I'm sure there's a social aspect to it to; although it's not my type of socializing. So if whole guilds move, then I suppose that could happen too.

In general, I think MMO's are an interesting statement on modern human interaction. I bet in 5 or 10 years you'll see some serious research come out about online socialization and different social structures within MMO's. I've seen a couple papers so far, but nothing I found truly noteworthy.

Yeah...I tend to ramble.

12. Re: I got the open beta key. May 13, 2008, 11:41 Will W

Ant, correct me if I'm wrong...and I frequently am....but I thought the open beta ended over this past weekend...admittedly they also have "general beta" and "Technical Beta" or some other names, so you could be referring to a different beta. If you're DLing the open beta client I wouldn't bother at this point.

The Torrent really did suck, I was only pulling 250 K/sec at home. I would have preferred it if they gave us a .torrent file we could have used with our own choice of torrent clients. I have a few friends on a Hamachi VPN with me and most Bittorrent clients will recognize the private address and share with my friends over it, thus bumping all of our time to download as we each pull a part and then share it across to the others...a few of them are behind firewalls that we can't really poke holes in.

The campus I work at is in Finals right now so there's alot of research/last minute stuff going on and it's choking the pipe out to the net. We normally throttle bittorrent traffic in both directions, but we had a few guys on campus call up about this torrent so I ended up opening myself up to the net and was able to get it off of the torrent at about 20 Mb/sec somehow, and I left my upload open to be fair (means I was sending 10 Mb/sec since I cap myself at 30 total). Anyhow, I just blocked the traffic to the AoC torrent from going off-campus and redirected everyone to a server on campus where I hosted the files for internal users. It was simple to implement and all the kids were able to get the full client in under an hour each. Plus it kept them from choking up our network during an important time academically and most likely kept their mind more on their studies since they weren't checking the progress every 5 minutes.

I wish more ISP's out there would do something like this. All they'd have to do is dedicate an internal server for file hosting for these types of games and they'd greatly reduce the amount of duplicate traffic that has to leave their private networks. Seems to me it would make more sense the putting caps on connections, it's alot cheaper and less headache to just mirror it locally! IMO at least.

4. Re: Well... May 13, 2008, 10:06 Will W

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 15:58.

2. Age of Conan Forums.... May 13, 2008, 09:55 Will W

Are prob. the worst MMO forums I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Out of 115,000 posts, I'd challange Funcom to find me 100 useful ones that don't rehash the same topic, troll to no end, or complain about new people to the forums asking questions that were answered in another thread....perhaps on page 5 or 10.

The only posts that stay on the first page....aside from the stickies...are the trolling or insulting posts people keep responding to. They bitch that it was posted...yet bump it to the top by posting a reply.

The forums will turn off plenty of prospective customers, I'm sure. Not to say other MMO forums haven't been bad....but Funcom needs to do some serious cleanup. Perhaps after the game goes live and the forums are subscriber only some of this mess will clear up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. No subject Mar 29, 2008, 14:52 Will W

That was quite a PR blunder by Creative....what I glean from that post is that they REMOVED functionality from some of their cards in Vista...and he added it back.

Interesting timing for them to do this, I've been reading more and more about how add-on sound cards improve performance in many different games. I'm in the market for one, and creative (and sound blaster) are the names I would look at first. I can't say I won't buy one from creative now, but unless it's a kick-ass deal I won't.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Videogame, addiction? Mar 26, 2008, 11:46 Will W

Are you responding to the author of that article on this forum or something? Or are you just schizophrenic?

News Comments > Cryptic & Star Trek Online Clue
2. Re: it never ceases to amaze me ... Mar 13, 2008, 12:22 Will W

Trekkies who just won't let it die. :-)

News Comments > StarCraft II Q&A
14. Re: No subject Feb 17, 2008, 13:02 Will W

How much revenue have I generated for myself? None. For Blizzard? I've bought it twice...once when it came out and again in a "battle chest type of thing"

If only "most" of the people you are referring to won't play against random people, then some will...hence my argument isn't "null and void". I'm guessing you didn't claim that ALL won't play against random people since you know it wouldn't be true. There's griefers in every game, and most of them are people who spend way too much time in the game and derive their enjoyment out of making the game unenjoyable to others. Maybe you and the people you know don't do that, but the ones that do are a whole hell of alot more visible because they DO play against random people. There are too many games out there for a company to think they can have that kind of crap going on in their multiplayer and get a good word of mouth going.

I'm glad you don't like "dumbed down" games. You seem like another person who thinks all games are written for you because you like the game. Publishers like Blizzard make games that appeal to the largest possible number of players since they make money on initial sales, this isn't an MMO.

I'm glad you don't bitch to your friends when you get beat at a game, I guess that makes you a bastion for the gaming industry. You should get a cape and a pair of tights for your contribution. But there's no fun in playing in a hopeless game against people who use "perfect" strategy and judge their play based on their "actions per minute".

And do you really think there are more of those people out there then there are people who just like to have a fun game against their friends of, god forbid, a random stranger of equal skill? I'd love to play golf against Tiger Woods once or twice, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to continually get matched against him in pick-up games at the local golf club.

If your life has a lot at stake in a video game that hasn't been released yet, I can't help you...I'm not a mental health professional.

News Comments > StarCraft II Q&A
11. No subject Feb 17, 2008, 11:57 Will W

I love the comments that act like people who play a game 24 hours a day 7 days a week have more "at stake". We all pay the same price. Alot of "hardcore" RTS people hurt the game more then help it since they spend a good portion of their time beating on new players.

Change the units, make people come up with new strategies. How else do you expect to draw in a NEW audience and not just the "I'm more important because even though I spent the same $$ on the game I use it more!" people. Sadly enough for them....they don't have some mystical extra pull on new customers for Blizzard...someone who tells his friends "There's no point in playing that game multiplayer, the peopl will just trounce you" has alot more pull.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. No subject Jan 28, 2008, 11:00 Will W

Someone needs to tell my wife that the buttocks are a sexual organ....she keeps telling me they're not made for that. I finally have government proof!

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
10. No subject Dec 25, 2007, 23:59 Will W

I don't think he's saying it's the fault of the Blu-ray format.

I think he's saying, as he states at the beginning of his article, that there were manufacturing glitches AND publicity glitches. He's saying that It doesn't matter that it's not the "fault" of "Blu-Ray" as a format because these discs were dual format, and people are seeing a flawless release in the HD-DVD side, and a FLAWED release in the Blu-Ray side...This may push consumers to feel that the Blu-Ray format is at fault and thus purchase HD-DVD instead.

I think he hit it head on, although if I read into it, it does seem like he's got a chip on his shoulder for Blu-Ray.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Blu-Ray Dec 11, 2007, 17:08 Will W

nin...

You're showing a decline in the share of Blu-ray over HD-DVD with your numbers there...Year to date vs over this weekend...it may not prove anything, but if I were to look at those numbers I'd say that HD-DVD may be losing now, but they're catching up!

News Comments > ATI Gets Steamier
25. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2007, 16:43 Will W

" They really need to do more to tempt prospective ATI graphics card buyers by way of offering something more substantial "

You mean like "Availability and Price"? Come on now, you want the card when you want it, for what you want to pay, and expect them to do all that PLUS give you a NEW game? Sounds like you bit with the first two, I don't know why they'd bother adding the third.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Violent Games Report Dec 5, 2007, 10:57 Will W

Yeah, I'm glad to see they're putting a good portion of the blame on the parents.

Look, I don't have a choice if you have kids, thus I shouldn't have to suffer so that you can raise them. If you can't be bothered to know what your kid is up to perhaps you should think about trading it in for a gerbil or something that you can legally keep in a cage.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: SP3 Nov 20, 2007, 09:36 Will W

I disagree, I think that his edited quote was very funny.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Next Life
1. No subject Nov 16, 2007, 12:35 Will W

$10 says that in the end you wake up and it was all a dream/hallucination....and then gives the "Or was it!" twist by having something freaky happen in the "real world".

News Comments > Mac & Linux EVE Online Nears
3. Re: Still around? Nov 2, 2007, 12:25 Will W

You were most likely thinking of Jumpgate (if by X series you mean X-wing series). That's still around too, and they're making a sequel.

EVE will stay around, they have a base of users that have so much time and money invested in the game they're not willing to move on.

I loved the idea, hated the player community.

News Comments > Out of Territory Orange Box Deactivations
21. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 09:51 Will W

I don't get it...how is this Valve's fault? This is the fault of either the reseller not telling the customer that the game was region locked or the customer for thinking they were pulling a fast one and getting some great deal.

If you buy a game from a company in Russia and you install it and the game is only in Russian....is it the fault of the company who made the game? Even if the ordering page was in English? IMO it's not. The reseller, perhaps...depending on the circumstances, but not the company who made or published the game.

194 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo