Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Will W
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 16, 2006, 17:56
Total Comments 201 (Novice)
User ID 31007

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Aion Open Beta Starts September 6
12. Re: Aion Open Beta Starts September 6 Aug 27, 2009, 17:05 Will W

That part seems self-explanatory.
I don't see anything that say you can't.
These questions seem non-specific to this event. This would be up to the store. Most retailers don't allow returns of opened PC games.
They are. Pre-select allows access to the game to create a character and select a name. Headstart is when you get to start playing.

Ok, maybe I asked my questions in the wrong way.

If I pre-order, I assume I can not pick up the retail copy until release date. If I can get my hands on the box, it's a pre-purchase not a pre-order. Of course, now that the store is working on their site I can see that they're calling it a pre-purchase, but that's the online store, the press release still refers to a pre-order which I assume is for the B&M (I'm considering anywhere that sells boxes B&M as opposed to digital) shops. If they let me pick up/download the game AND start playing it, it's not a headstart or a pre-order or a pre-purchase. It means they're selling the game and it's been released to the public since anyone can buy it, but only at limited locations.

Sure, maybe they're doing an "exclusive" release to certain B&M stores, but it sounds like they're trying to make it sound extra special that you start to play 2 days before the official release. If they let you buy the game right up until release and join in the "pre-order" time period, they may as well just say they're releasing it two days earlier instead of trying to make it sound like some special deal you get.

If they said people who order before "September 1st" or something like that, then I would agree that it's a pre-order headstart for those two days. Like you said, however, there is nothing that says you can't buy it the day before release and be in on the "pre-order headstart" which simply means they're releasing it two days earlier to exclusive outlets....

Yeah, I know I'm not being the most eloquent in trying to get my point across, but hopefully I made more sense that time.

Now that you've explained the pre-select I get what that is. Thanks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aion Open Beta Starts September 6
1. Re: Aion Open Beta Starts September 6 Aug 27, 2009, 12:14 Will W

I'm a bit dense, I admit it....but how is it a pre-order with early access? Can I not pre-order it at a brick and mortor the day before it's released and still get in the game? Am I allowed to return it before it's released? And what's the difference between "Pre-Select" and "Headstart"? Seems that both are given to people who pre-purchase.

Seems to me it's more of an "exclusive" upon release....you just can't take your box home that day. Their store appears to be down (and I'm not going to e-mail your@example.com as their 500 error page suggests) and I can't find details anywhere else on their site. Anyone have the inside scoop?

News Comments > EVE Online Banking Story
19. Re: EVE Online Banking Story Aug 26, 2009, 15:14 Will W

Derek, I'm having difficulty decoding the form of English you're using on that post....are you, as a game developer, saying that "most" of your customers are stupid? Is this simply because they like to use games as an escape where they can zone out and don't have to enjoy doing spreadsheets in their spare time? EvE is a great game for a lot of people, that doesn't mean if you don't like it then you're most likely stupid, it just means you don't like it.  

News Comments > Iranian Games Look West
1. Re: Iranian Games Look West Aug 21, 2009, 09:38 Will W

The problem with anything Iranian is that it's going to have to be approved by the government. The government of Iran is the problem, not the people...so while I'd love to see some unique settings, I don't usually like games that are bleached and colored back in as propaganda.  

News Comments > Future Mice
3. Re: Future Mice Aug 20, 2009, 07:09 Will W

My thumb isn't designed to bend at that angle, and the buttons look awfully small....  

News Comments > Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer
16. Re: Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer Aug 19, 2009, 07:21 Will W

Perhaps if I had even a sliver of trust left in FunCom I'd consider trying it again, but as it stands I didn't even bother trying the "come back" trial they sent out. They may have fired a game director, but the company was too intent on lying about what they would accomplish. FunCom will have to get a damn good track record with coming through on their promises for a couple years before I would give them another shot.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2009, 17:56 Will W

Now maybe we can start curtailing some of the nastier effects of this stupid Second Amendment America's trapped under.

I can only assume that's sarcasm since she's said during her hearings that she would abide by previous Supreme Court precedents, thus she wouldn't change the interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2009, 12:03 Will W

It's because there are people (Al Sharpton comes to mind) who "fight" racism, but stand to lose a ton if they actually win. They're like racism consultants...if they did their job properly they'd make themselves obsolete...so their interest lies in prolonging the feud instead of trying to promote healing.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2009, 12:03.

News Comments > Funcom on AoC's Turnaround
6. Re: Funcom on AoC's Turnaround Jul 10, 2009, 12:15 Will W

I just can't see giving Funcom any of my money ever again after their lies and intentional deception at the initial launch. Their launch wasn't just rocky, nor a standard MMO launch, they actually lied to people (DX10....on the box..."radio button" in beta was "active"...2 days before launch they announce it won't be in there?) and I would prefer to vote with my dollars. To each his own.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2009, 11:04 Will W

Wonder if that student ID on "The Answer is NOT always C".... is his social security number....  

News Comments > Age of Conan Updated
14. Re: Age of Conan Updated Jun 25, 2009, 06:08 Will W

They lost me when they failed to fulfill their promises in a timely manner. They may have improved the game, but I have my doubts since they haven't even tried to lure past subscribers back with a "free weekend". Any company that will hide something from consumers like a complete lack of DX10 (advertised on the box.....) until one or two days before the launch...and even had the radio button active in the beta client (even if it wasn't doing anything)...is not a trustworthy company IMO.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2009, 11:02 Will W

Although I may like the idea of electric vehicles that are quiet....I'd really have to see some major improvements in the electric grid and generation to think that electric vehicles could be useful. All summer long I have to shut down "non-essential" systems to conserve power for the grid...I can't see cars going "plug-in" in a big way without some major changes to the way we produce and distribute power in this country.

Additionally, I'd like to see if the environmental benefit we get from centrally produced power is offset by the loss from transmission and storage, and the "wave" like pattern of usage. I think we need alot more research done before we throw too much weight behind electric vehicles as "the future".

News Comments > Now on Steam
12. Re: Now on Steam Jun 17, 2009, 08:48 Will W

I've gotten refunds from the folks at Valve with a simple request, 2 times in fact. Both times they confirmed that it was due to special circumstances (the announcement of FarCry 2's DRM was one, and I forget what the second was...).  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2009, 14:12 Will W

I've got to agree, if you're in a sub-urban area go with a pellet or BB gun....if you're in a rural area a .22 is a lot more effective. I've hit them with a BB gun or Pellet gun and they don't get the hint. Fortunately a .22 doesn't hint.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 11, 2009, 07:23 Will W

I think the issue has less to do with who gets to watch Jerry Springer and more to do with how to reach the populace in an emergency. I personally think that radio can fill the void nicely and the whole thing just needs to move on, but I can understand the concern.

I can no longer get 3 of 4 channels I used to get because of my distance to the stations (even if I super sized AND got a directional antenna) combined with my location in a valley. I don't watch Springer, soaps, or American Idol. I'm not a republican.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2009, 09:52 Will W

Squirrels will hog down all the food you put out there, and they'll also prevent the birds from getting to the food. If you don't mind paying the extra money to feed squirrels then you should get them their own feeder or you'll get very few birds once the squirrels take over. Depending on how many you have in your area (I've counted up to 17 at once....) the price can really add up quickly.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2009, Part 6
1. Re: It Came from E3 2009, Part 5 Jun 4, 2009, 22:27 Will W

There were some attractive ladies in those photos, and I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed, but I seem to recall booth babes being a lot hotter a few years ago. Oh well, I suppose I'll chalk it up to aging.  

News Comments > APB in "Early 2010"
11. Re: APB in Jun 2, 2009, 08:34 Will W

Man, I was hoping this was a remake of the 1987 Atari arcade game. Damn.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Team Fortress 2 Mobile May 31, 2009, 16:16 Will W

I would buy that TF2 Mobile, it looks really cool, but I think it's made of matboard/cardboard type stuff and not metal. I'd love to hang a metal version in my garden to scare away the deer!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2009, 10:19 Will W

You could always try one of the products that are supposed to control the spots in the lawn. Here's an example (but Dr. Foster and Smith are usually more pricey then other places, so shop around)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+18+11874&pcatid=11874

201 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo