Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carlos Silva

Real Name Carlos Silva   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname frag.machine
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 9, 2006, 23:17
Total Comments 101 (Novice)
User ID 30900

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2010, 14:12 frag.machine

JS: To zero in on the issue of the interface, this is the kind of thing that we're seeing with the Kinect, as well. It's novel, there are some new things that you can do, but there are a lot of things that you can't do that maybe you want to do as a gamer.

JC: The Kinect and the Move stuff, we have no intention of supporting that right now because our games are carefully crafted around what's going to play well on a console controller. And it's hard to add a frill on top of that.

Well, bummer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek on PCs versus Consoles
53. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 07:13 frag.machine

Jerykk wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 16:12:
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the quality of the games and that PC gamers are less forgiving. Yeah, there's no way you can make money on the PC, I mean Blizzard has proven that time and time again what an utter waste of money it is trying to put forth PC titles.

The problem is that it's much easier to make money on consoles. Pretty much any game with nice graphics and sufficient marketing can sell 1 million units on consoles. Selling 1 million units of a PC exclusive generally requires a much better game.

Yeah, Minecraft is a good example.

News Comments > Minecraft Interview
17. Re: Minecraft Interview Nov 26, 2010, 07:07 frag.machine

ATM minecraft gameplay is pretty crude, specially multiplayer which resumes to a online Lego. IMO single player is more fun: there's the first night rush where you need to run against the clock to build a shelter, and later there's the cave exploration part that can be really creepy. The halloween update added a new hell-like dimension and mobs but it really needs to add more content to became attractive to people more used to FPS games.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Interviews
15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 22, 2010, 06:50 frag.machine

Jackplug wrote on Nov 21, 2010, 19:46:
All DN will be is just more of the same with better gfx, but the sad thing is it will be just an old game that hasnt moved on...

I wish DNF were just more of the same we got with DN3D in better graphics. Unfortunately, looks it will be just another POS made for consoles.

News Comments > LucasArts Layoffs
11. Re: LucasArts Layoffs Nov 18, 2010, 06:22 frag.machine

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 23:22:
Their overconfidence was their weakness.

I think your lack of faith disturbing.
<insert Jedi choking gesture here>

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
129. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 12, 2010, 08:42 frag.machine

Slashman wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 07:34:
It's the same thing as people pointing their fingers at Microsoft for monopolizing the OS market. When Windows 95 was a huge, buggy mess and barely trying to stand on its own, no other company thought that it was worth it to compete in the home desktop market. But then everyone wants to crap all over them years after when(surprise, surprise) they are practically the only viable choice for a PC OS bar Mac and Linux.

*COUGH* OS/2 *COUGH*

46. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 13:27 frag.machine

Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 10:55:
Well the big bitch seems to be that retailers cave and carry Steamworks titles. What's the solution there though? There is no standard distribution format for digital games right now. The entire industry would need to collaborate on that and in an open market some companies will simply ignore it.

I agree that it sucks that Direct2Drive has to sell a Steamwork title for example, as it exposes their customers directly to Steam which is the entire goal. I just don't see a solution other than moving the market backwards five years.

Don't give them ideas... They can send a terminator 12 years back in the past and kill Gabe Newell before the first Half Life.

9. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 10:39 frag.machine

"At the moment the big digital distributors need to stock games with Steam. But the power resides with bricks and mortar retailers, they can refuse to stock these titles. Publishers are hesitant, but retail must put pressure on them."

ROFL

cool story bro

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 8, 2010, 08:02 frag.machine

WyldKat wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 20:46:
LOL Microsoft U MAD BRO?!?!

Seriously though, open source drivers would only make sales of the product increase, especially after the novelty and holiday rush on the product wears off.

Problem is: Microsoft probably is selling Kinect with a thin (if any) profit margin, expecting to sell *LOTS* of XBox360 exclusive titles. If people manages to use Kinect with other platforms their plans will be fubared.

News Comments > Kotick More Influential than the President
9. Re: Kotick More Influential than the President Oct 29, 2010, 13:26 frag.machine

Kotick More Influential than the President wrote on Oct 29, 2010, 10:35:
It's radical ideas like these that have led more than one talking head to call him 'the Hitler of the Gaming Industry.'

I thereby invoke Godwin's Law to declare this thread dead.

News Comments > TF2 Contributor Payday
4. Re: TF2 Contributor Payday Oct 21, 2010, 16:23 frag.machine

I agree with eRe4s3r's; while it's nice to get such reward for their work, off-shore artists may find out to be a headache to actually put the hands on the money. Not their fault or Valve's.  

News Comments > Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners?
6. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 12:01 frag.machine

I hope they add a commemorative "duke nukem mullet" hat to the TF2 heavy!  

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
38. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 19:44 frag.machine

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 17:56:
I'm not sure why Blues did a literal transcription of what that Gibson guy said. Makes the guy look pretty dumb although transcriptions more often than not look messed up.

Anyway, I think the guy is correct in what he said. Join forces and let the PC blow the console industry away! Viva la revolution!

The only acceptable way for MS to join forces with Steam would be they making an aggressive offer and buy Steam. A much wiser move than, let's say, to buy the rotten carcass known as Yahoo!. For the greater good of the PC gaming I hope this won't never, ever, happen.

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
36. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 19:27 frag.machine

ASeven wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 15:17:
Competition is always good to the market, regardless of what some clueless devs say. Saying that, GfWL is an abomination and Steam already won the battle but I hope Steam never gets a full monopoly of the market and other distribution venues like D2D, GamersGate and the like never disappear. Not having competition is the sure way to see any market slowly die in terms of good prices and quality of product.
^^^ I second that.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
11. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 5, 2010, 23:15 frag.machine

shponglefan wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 23:02:
Nameless Again wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 21:40:
I'm scared to think of what Jack's idea of culture should be. Something tells me it involves donkeys, 9-volt batteries and a jar of mayonnaise.

The donkey and mayonnaise I get, but the battery?

Dude, please don't ask...

News Comments > TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch
36. Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 20:47 frag.machine

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 17:21:
bhcompy wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 17:12:
It wasn't originally QWTF, it was just TF, because we played it in NetQuake, too.

/get off my lawn

Omg, I had totally forgotten about netquake... I remember playing Quake DM on that, with a 19.2kbaud data line, thinking I was the shit with my incredibly low 250 ping.

/me shakes his cane arthritically at some meddling kids!

LOL, I'm from the NetQuake era, too. Those were the days...

/me yells to the clouds, Grandpa Simpson-style

EDIT: just connected to play. This in-game trading option is ruining the gameplay. People now just hangs inside spawn rooms offering or asking for items to trade. Congrats Valve, you really screwed TF2 this time. >:(

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2010, 20:55.

News Comments > TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch
11. Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:37 frag.machine

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:18:
Considering the original TF team who originally made QWTF, this is even more of a disgrace than what they've already done with TF2.

I'm sure they will make a lot of money, but seriously, it's amazing how much people can debase and sell out over the space of 15 years or so.

A micro transaction item store in what was originally planned to be a competitive team based FPS? Really? What a shame. They claim the items won't provide any competitive advantage, but that's not even really the point of the game anymore, it seems.

This probably sounds fairly doom and gloom, but back in the day, Quakeworld Team Fortress was basically the greatest FPS the world had ever seen. Flash forward to today, Team Fortress 2 = clownshoes.

If this makes you feel better, then consider TF2 something totally different, non-related to your beloved QWTF (which BTW is played by a few fellas in a regular basis out there even today and stills free of Valve capitalist claws). Or, you can still grieve and "probably sound fairly doom and gloom".

News Comments > The Bible Online Launches
46. Re: The Bible Online Launches Sep 29, 2010, 10:23 frag.machine

And the Lord said:
"THOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL COVENANT ARKS!"

News Comments > The Sacrifice for L4D/L4D2 Next Month
12. Re: The Sacrifice for L4D/L4D2 Next Month Sep 27, 2010, 17:33 frag.machine

ASeven wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:15:
PHJF wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:05:
That's because scavenge isn't viable as a long-term mode of play. L4D2 was a fun little distraction on and off for a couple months but my heart lies with TF2.

Engineer is credit to team!

Nom nom nom nom

MAGGOTS!

News Comments > Duke 3D Mod
4. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 11:45 frag.machine

Ray Marden wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 10:59:
This will absolutely get shut down, but let me reiterate how much I love that game. DNF has gone down a drama-filled rabbit hole, but I would gladly - gladly - pay for a D3D remake done with a current day engine.
We need more games that have fun while kicking ass.
Stuck in a naive dream,
Ray

According to the author, he asked Gearbox and they stated having nothing to do with previous Duke games, and now he's in conversations with Scott Miller. As long he doesn't release anything besides screenshots until having a go from the IP owners, I think he's fine.

101 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo