Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carlos Silva

Real Name Carlos Silva   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname frag.machine
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 9, 2006, 23:17
Total Comments 102 (Novice)
User ID 30900

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
61. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 20:18 frag.machine

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 17:46:
StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 17:27:
Yeah, rocking the AF, larger FOV, mouse smoothing removal and 8k texture config and OMG, this game is now awesome. Enjoying it very much.

Aren't you glad John Carmack decided FOR YOU what was the better way to play it?

After all, that's what PCs are all about! Having your choices made for you.

Great work, Carmack. Rolleyes

Creston

Maybe you don't have all controls in a fancy GUI to play around, but at least you still have the option to tweak it thru a config file, so the game is not completely a half baked console port. That said, I agree that after all this troubled launch and harsh reviews the game falls far behind my expectations, too. If they release a demo I'll surely try it (and may even buy it in the future), but until then... I'll pass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
56. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 20:04 frag.machine

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 16:13:
As for direct hardware access...*sigh*...the never ending battle between speed and security :/

More like the never ending battle between speed and portability IMHO.

News Comments > Syndicate FPS Trailer
31. Re: Syndicate FPS Trailer Sep 29, 2011, 19:55 frag.machine

The game itself looks actually interesting. But they really should call it anything else and let the Syndicate name alone.  

News Comments > Cancelled Avengers Game Footage
25. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 23:28 frag.machine

Looks pretty interesting (even with the low FOV pointed above, surely a sign of consolitis), it's a shame got canned. Oh well...  

News Comments > Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter
90. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 13, 2011, 19:25 frag.machine

Bhruic wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 23:57:
Oooo, 500k sales!
Oooo, 1M sales!

Considering that's more than some of their games sell for, I don't think your attempt at mocking is that impressive. 1M in sales for a non-FPS game would be quite respectable, and would certainly pay for a medium-sized dev house. Would it be Starbreeze? Probably not, as others have mentioned, they seem to focus on FPSes.

As for who should do it, well, the ones that own the IP have decided they want to make a game for that setting. If they've already decided that much, it's not a much bigger stretch to want them to do it properly. We've already seen they aren't, so any further speculation along that path is moot.

Problem is: I don't see EA investing in a game that a) they cannot price at launch at 60 US$; b) may not please consoles audience. From their point of view, is better to shove lots of money into a FPS than spending less in a game that will reap less money per copy (and sell less copies, too).

At the end, is just about money. As always.

News Comments > Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter
89. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 13, 2011, 19:16 frag.machine

briktal wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 23:04:
Annex wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:47:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:02:
That would sell about 200k copies.

Let some indie do that. It doesn't need to be Syndicate - let them create a new world with new twists in plot, setting and gameplay.

Fine so why not call this FPS game something other than Syndicate and have them hire a studio that actually wants to make a true sequel?

Because they aren't jaded gamers wishing everything was like it was back when they were younger and gaming wasn't so mainstream. Maybe they, like lots of people probably have, thought "oh man wouldn't a Syndicate FPS be cool?"

Or maybe they don't really care about the original game and their fans ? Instead, all they want is a classic and untouched franchise easily recognizable by the gaming press to shove another bland and generic futuristic FPS thru console boys throats, in the hope they can also surf in the DX:HR hype ?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Happy Birthday, Quake.... Jun 22, 2011, 20:44 frag.machine

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 14:58:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 13:09:
...and if any members of Dark Requiem are out there, Cheers to you!

Steve & Walter: Hard to believe we've know each other as long as we have. What a crazy and amazing world, eh?

^D^

I was thinking something similar when I dug up my QUAKE CD and I recalled how I got it autographed at that QuakeWorld event in SoHo. Sure enough, it's signed by Carmack, Romero, and *scribble*. The last is probably American McGee by the looks of it, but I can't be sure. Not sure why I didn't get it signed by the other guys. Anyway, it is indeed hard to believe that will have been 15 years ago this September.

Ohhh... A autographed Quake CD. It's like having Monalisa with a dedicatory from da Vinci himself.

For all of you Quake veterans, the 2011 QEXPO is happening at http://expo2011.quakewiki.net. Engine coders, mappers and modders are showing their current projects for Quake, Quake 2 and Quake 3.

News Comments > Quake Expo 2011
4. Re: Quake Expo 2011 Jun 20, 2011, 20:48 frag.machine

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 18:34:
They may not include it simply because it was a Raven game, and not by id.

Not really. It's just that the modding/mapping community around the first 3 games is more active. But any Quake related project is more than welcome.

News Comments > QUAKE "Reboot" Possible
81. Re: QUAKE Jun 18, 2011, 11:00 frag.machine

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 19:14:
The reasons for "disjointed and incoherent" would be that id didn't make their games to tell a story back then but that they made the game first (or a series of cool levels) and then at the very last minute they slapped a story on the whole thing. That's why id games never had much of a story to begin with.

Doom was coherent. Sure, the story was solely a .txt, but it had coherency.
Quake lacked it entirely.

Quake indeed had a quite complex story based on a D&D campaign that Romero and Carmack were playing, but it was later scraped in favor of "just doing Doom 3" (as put in "Masters of Doom").

News Comments > QUAKE "Reboot" Possible
80. Re: QUAKE Jun 18, 2011, 10:58 frag.machine

Jerykk wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 17:39:
While I'd love to see another Quake game, I'm pretty sure it would be nothing like the originals. Carmack essentially said in an interview that id isn't going to make big-budget PC exclusives ever again. That means any new Quake game would be multiplatform and thus, designed for gamepads. Quake + gamepads = not Quake.

I remember reading that Carmack regretted for not developing Rage mainly for PC and then later adapting it to consoles. Maybe for the next developments they end up doing the Right Thing(tm) after all.

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up
92. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 20:39 frag.machine

I haven't played it yet (awaiting for the demo to be released to public) but watched a 45 minute walk-thru on Youtube:

1) graphics, as expected, are dated;
2) a torrent of toilet jokes;
3) lots of obligatory and boring scripted sequences (with NPC's blocking your progress while you don't interact with them - dear game developers: this is a big no-no);
4) lots of obligatory and boring mini-games;
5) totally linear map layout;
6) lack of power-ups (who needs steroids and health packs when you can duck and wait to regenerate health ?);
7) lack of secret areas;
8) 2 weapon limit;
9) ego/health regeneration;
10) no new monsters, no new weapons.

Now, given the convoluted development background I could live with 1) and 2) as long the game could deliver a solid, satisfactory and fun experience. But, as I pointed above, that's not the case, and I blame George Broussard, not Pitchford, for this (the later has a small parcel of guilty for pimping a turd game, but I guess he was only trying to turn the IP relevant again). I will eventually download the demo and maybe even can buy the game once it reaches bargain bin prices. Why ? Two reasons: for nostalgia, and as incentive to GearBox to take the IP and build a new, from scratch, kick ass and FUN game based on the IP. After 14 years we deserve it.

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
55. Re: It ain't over yet May 24, 2011, 20:42 frag.machine

SectorEffector wrote on May 24, 2011, 20:24:
I want a copy, and I will cry if it's not fun.

ONLY expect fun.

and boatloads of interactivity.

rats in a microwave anyone?

I can quote GB on saying it has the ability to throw rats in microwaves.

No, but you'll be able to throw feces, like a enraged monkey.

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
28. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 20:32 frag.machine

My 0.02$ to the game devs:

If this can affect a valid user in a negative way, then simply don't do it. It will scratch your public image, period. It's not worth the brief satisfaction.

Is piracy hurting your profit ? Lower the price to the point that pirates feel ashamed to show a illegal copy of your game to their friends! If you have a good and affordable game the news will spread like wildfire. Your biggest problem will be dealing with the amount of sales.

News Comments > 3D DOOM Movie Reboot?
54. Re: 3D DOOM Movie Reboot? Mar 10, 2011, 15:36 frag.machine

Ant wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:58:
J wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:50:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 15:32:
Maybe the 3D movie can have cheerleaders in it. It'd make it a lot better.

And piranha?
Ants too!

Massive gunfights with demoniac creatures, seminaked babes and bugs ?

This is not a DooM reboot. It's "starship Troopers" all over again.

News Comments > Garry's Mod and Kinect
2. Re: Garry's Mod and Kinect Mar 10, 2011, 15:13 frag.machine

I already can see someone making a community version of "meet the medic" machinima...  

News Comments > Amnesia Nears 200K Sold
25. Re: Amnesia Nears 200K Sold Jan 8, 2011, 21:15 frag.machine

ASeven wrote on Jan 8, 2011, 09:45:
frag.machine wrote on Jan 8, 2011, 09:40:
More and more I see PC gaming in the hands of indie developers, and big publishers sheltered inside the console bunkers, where they have far more control over piracy and prices (although not complete control as we can see in the recent episode of the PS3 crackdown). In other words, PC will keep its role as cradle for innovative, low/medium cost and risk projects, and consoles will be the preferred place for big budget games exploring low risk IP's. It's very similar to the current movie market division between "artistic" and blockbuster, kept the due proportions.

But publishers may find themselves in big problems due to that policy. See this market research papaer that simply mirrors what many other papers have been telling lately:

http://www.newzoo.com/press/NewzooTotalConsumerSpend2010.pdf

Indeed. BTW these are interesting numbers, turns clear the console segment weight in the market.

News Comments > Amnesia Nears 200K Sold
21. Re: Amnesia Nears 200K Sold Jan 8, 2011, 09:40 frag.machine

More and more I see PC gaming in the hands of indie developers, and big publishers sheltered inside the console bunkers, where they have far more control over piracy and prices (although not complete control as we can see in the recent episode of the PS3 crackdown). In other words, PC will keep its role as cradle for innovative, low/medium cost and risk projects, and consoles will be the preferred place for big budget games exploring low risk IP's. It's very similar to the current movie market division between "artistic" and blockbuster, kept the due proportions.  

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
56. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 2, 2011, 20:33 frag.machine

Prez wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 16:36:
JaguarUSF wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 13:24:
Seriously, anyone who still uses XP needs to upgrade to 7.

Yeah, well, do all of my old games work on Windows 7 yet? Specifically, my 200-game catalog from Good Ole Games? They are working on backwards compatibility but it's slow going. Call me a Luddite, but I don't think I'll ever be ready to abandon some of the great games of the past.

Anyway, I'm not miffed about this; it had to happen sooner or later with a game I really wanted. I just HATE dual booting.

Well, you can always use DOSBOX, right ?

I'm still on XP because frankly so far I hadn't a good reason to upgrade. I'm still running a 4-year old game/dev rig and most of my stuff is running well enough (of course, some not so old games like Prototype and Borderlands could benefit from a dual/quad core, but the video card is holding things pretty well so far). Maybe in 6 months I'll build a new one and then I will move Windows 7. Looks quite decent from what I can see in others computers, far from the the mess Vista used to be.

About the news, seems a quite logic move to me; as someone already said, it's very likely motivated by support costs reductions. Since I'm not exactly a fan of the series, it won't affect me.

News Comments > Minecraft Beta Next Week
27. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 06:35 frag.machine

kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 00:07:
Why do so many of you love this but there's no mention of Second Life? From my experience SL offers a lot of what MindCraft offers. And yes, I'm aware of the negative uses of SL. Still, for all intents and purposes it is an open sandbox platform where you can create anything you want. And it isn't pixelated.

SL have no pigs. Or cows. Or sheeps. Or chickens. Or CREEPERS OH SHEEZ GET OFF MY STUFF NOOOO! SSSSS BOOOOM!

News Comments > Prototype 2 Announced
17. Re: Prototype 2 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 06:45 frag.machine

Reactor wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 20:32:
I loved every minute of Prototype. It was plain ol' fun. I can't wait for the followup.

This.

102 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo