Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ron

Real Name Ron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Demonseed
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 55501558
Description
Homepage http://www.meltdowngaming.com
Signed On Oct 10, 2006, 16:42
Total Comments 1 (Suspect)
User ID 30106

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Triton Closes - Prey for a Solution
135. ` Oct 10, 2006, 12:53 Demonseed

Well, this is my first post here, and what a thread to jump in on.

Personally, I have never been a huge fan of didgital distribution systems. I agree with a previous poster (whose name I don't recall) that current digital distribution models represent the first step toward game rentals becoming the norm. D2D already has this almost perfectly set up, as they limit the number of installs you can use your download for.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I like having my games in my hands before I install them, including all the fun anticipation on the drive home from the store. Until they come up with a digital distribution system that does few things differently, I'm not interested. What things? Well, things like:

- Provides my download as a file that I can EASILY burn to disk, creating an EXACT copy of the retail disc. (I can burn it as is now, but I'm thinking of making it easy for those who are not tech savvy)

- Provides an authentication system that I control, such as a CD-key, passcode, etc... that requires NO input from the distributor.

- Allows me to install the game whenever and wherever I want, on any PC I own.

Basically, I want a physical copy of the game, with no box or manual. It's not so much to ask. Not so long ago, every game was this way when you bought it.

We had Steam in our house, and it drove my wife to quit playing Valve games due to the problems she had with Steam. My past experience with it has been negative, so I avoid any future experiences. Maybe someday, a digital distribution system will come along that makes everyone happy. Well, mostly everyone. I'm all for digital distribution, provided it fits the model I outlined.

Bottom line is this: Don't make my game, the one I paid good money for, depend on anyone's syetm but mine to run.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo