Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mark Rein

Real Name Mark Rein   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mark Rein [Epic]
Email mrein@epicgames.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.epicgames.com
Signed On Feb 15, 2000, 13:09
Total Comments 9 (Suspect)
User ID 2981

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Mark Rein Q&A
11. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 13:36  Mark Rein [Epic] 

You said that
Rein has stated on numerous occasions that Epic is going toward console-only development
I never said any such thing and it isn't true.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 13:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic on MS Buyout Rumors: Only One Billion?
2. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 11:49  Mark Rein [Epic] 

That is NOT what I said.

What I said was:

I have not seen the actual GamePro article but if they're going to make predictions about us selling Epic we would prefer if they started at $2 billion because we don't want anyone thinking that we're cheap.

(note the smiley)

The point was that if someone was going to make a crazy prediction they might as well make it a REALLY crazy prediction

News Comments > UT 2004 Editor's Choice Edition
12. Re: UT new maps + vehicles Jul 29, 2004, 12:46  Mark Rein [Epic] 

Guys,

Current owners don't have to shell out anything. Everything new that comes with this version will be available for free download online. We did the same thing with the Game of the Year edition. This is intended for new customers. The game is still selling extremely well and it never hurts to have a refresh in time for Xmas.

News Comments > Epic & Microsoft
25. Publishing deal only Sep 17, 2003, 05:51  Mark Rein [Epic] 

This is a PUBLISHING deal. Epic is still 100% independent.

News Comments > Game Development & Mods
4. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2003, 11:30  Mark Rein [Epic] 

#2 said "In re: to level designing, you don't get job based on talent anymore, you get them based on how much of a presence you are in the community"

I don't agree with that statement. But even if you think that's true then a contest like this will hopefully elevate the most TALENTED people to the highest possible presence in the community!

News Comments > More on Unreal Security
13. My personal stupidity Feb 11, 2003, 15:58  Mark Rein [Epic] 

I have sent Pivx an apology for the completely out-of-line and unfortunate comments which I sincerely regret. We did provide an official statement and I was not, at the time, aware that my verbal reactions, in a moment of shock and surprise at seeing unfinished licensee games on the list, were also being captured for the article.

Pivx gave us more than fair enough warning of the bugs and we simply failed to fix them in the allotted time. We already released a statement, in fact right here at Blue's News, last week indicating that "we fucked up" in not addressing these concerns within the given time and that we were already testing a patch with the security issues corrected. In addition the official statement we gave pointed out that we were fixing the holes and that the Pivx report was fair and accurate. Licensees have already been provided with the source code for the security fixes.

Again this was a moment-of-stupidity reaction and I sincerely apologize to Pivx and the security community. We have already stated that we will address these issues far more promptly in the future.

News Comments > UT2003 Update
33. Folks... Jun 21, 2002, 10:12  Mark Rein [Epic] 

#1--> 1. Guys who read this board are hardcore gamers. We sold about 2,000,000 copies of UT on PC. That means a lot of the users were NOT hardcore users and some of them probably still have hardware like this. Hopefully they'll be able to try the game, see how much fun it is and realize it's worth upgrading to get a better presentation. Remember, the original UT has SOFTWARE RENDERING, you didn't need a 3D card at all to play the game. There are a lot of people out there who play our game who have no idea what brand or model of video card they have. Hopefully they have at something that is at least the equal of TNT2.

2. I did NOT say one week to two weeks. I said "still over a week away, maybe over two weeks" - that means we could be 4 weeks away but I sure hope not When we think we're about a week away we'll say so.

#4--> That is incorrect. Dan's work does not impede progress on the game/demo in any way. There are lots of gameplay-related issues to address.

#5--> Tell that to your publisher and see what they say? If nobody knows about your game then the stores aren't going to bother ordering it. We held off announcing UT2003 until the last possible moment. There are other games competing for the same shelf space as we are.

#12--> Actually the Voodoo 5 really holds its own. I was very surprised how well the game looked and ran with that card. If I owned a 1Ghz machine with a Voodoo5 in it and I couldn't upgrade I still be happy playing UT2003 on it.

#14&15 --> We're not worried about GeForce2 users - those cards should provide very good performance except for maybe the GeForce2MX and GeForce2Go which actually have LESS fillrate and memory bandwidth than either a Voodoo 3 3500 and only about half the fillrate of the first generation GeForce cards. But the game should still be OK on them.
This comment was edited on Jun 21, 10:13.

News Comments > Consolidation
3. You might be right but... Apr 22, 2002, 10:38  Mark Rein [Epic] 

You might be right but over the past 10 days that I was in Europe everyone I talked to said "euros" as the plural. Also news services seem to be using this form as well.

Here is a direct quote from Reuters News Service:

GameCube machines will go on sale in Europe on May 3 for 199 euros (US$177), down 20 percent from the earlier announced price of 250 euros, and for 129 pounds ($186.7) in Britain, a 24 percent discount.

Nintendo's move follows Microsoft's decision last week to cut the price of its Xbox consoles in Europe, putting it in line with best-selling rival, Sony's PlayStation 2, at 299 euros and 199 pounds in Britain.

The GameCube will now retail at 100 euros cheaper than Xbox and PlayStation 2 in Europe, although the latter two come with a built-in DVD drive.

News Comments > Consolidation
1. These prices INCLUDE TAXES Apr 22, 2002, 09:41  Mark Rein [Epic] 

What people might not realize about the recent price drop of Xbox and the new price for Gamecube is that these prices include sales taxes. So now in Europe Xbox (and PS2 which is priced the same) is approximately US$266 and Gamecube is approximately US$177 - including tax! In the UK it is approximately $288 for Xbox/PS2 and $186 for Gamecube - still better prices than the USA. If your state has a 5% tax then we're paying approximately $48 more for Xbox/PS2 and $32 more for Gamecube than Europeans are now paying and $26 / $23 for the UK. But they do pay slightly more for the games - probably about $3-$6 with taxes considered. I haven't heard anything about a drop in game prices.

This has to be the first time that video game consoles were so much cheaper in Europe than they are in the USA. This is great news for consumers in Europe and shows that Europe is definitely the next big battleground for the console wars. These new aggressive prices are also good news for developers and publishers. I think it is fair to assume we're going to see some price drops in the USA between now and Xmas which will put the USA back in the lead price-wise but for now it is nice to see Europeans not getting hosed on console pricing. I hope this trend continues as Europe has always been a strong market for us.

Interestingly Xbox and PS2 are also a little cheaper in Canada before taxes are added. With current exchange rates Xbox and PST are approximately $286 and Gamecube is approximately $190.75. However Canadians pay both 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST) and, in most provinces, Provincial Sales Tax which is 8% in Ontario. In Ontario,for example, that accounts to a whopping 15% so the real cost to consumers is slightly higher than it is in the USA because no states, that I'm aware of anyway, have sales taxes that are higher than 6%.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 09:54.

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo