Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim K

Real Name Tim K   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Atomic
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2000, 18:02
Total Comments 490 (Amateur)
User ID 2718

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 23:10 Atomic

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:54:
Ditto to what Creston and Cutter said.

Agree here too...

FYI, Same reason games cost 60 bucks now. They jumped it up, we didn't blink.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > QuakeCon 2013 Dates Announced
5. Re: QuakeCon 2013 Dates Announced Feb 26, 2013, 16:47 Atomic

fawker wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 16:03:
159 a night? Ouch

That's about the going rate these days unless you are staying in a crap hole.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie Details
2. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 08:55 Atomic

Just do a screen adaptation of the Deus Ex book "The Icarus Effect" and you should be fine.  

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
5. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 20:49 Atomic

nin wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:11:
Did you try the setting in the installer where you have the option of removing all previous settings? That's a shot in the dark guess...

Yea, even went so far as to a completely fresh install of the OS. Appreciate the tip though.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 20:06 Atomic

So far, I've been unable to use anything newer than 296.10 on my PC. If I try, any game I run goes to black screen, and I have to reboot. I think it has something to do with over-scanning the display, but I can't figure it out. Very frustrating.  

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Eidos Montreal's "Unannounced Really Cool Project"
6. Re: Eidos Montreal Feb 18, 2013, 17:04 Atomic

1badmf wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 16:52:
with the success of DXHR i hope they do everything the same but increase the scope. like, lets do some really exotic settings this time. like a ship ....

Umm, the Missing Link DLC was on a ship.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
19. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:28 Atomic

Product leaves beta days/hours after people are laid off? Does this solve a mystery?  

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com
11. Re: System Shock 2 Mods Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 Atomic

Outstanding linkage, thanks!

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 12:23.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
28. Re: Fallout 4 Tease Jan 9, 2013, 13:01 Atomic

I find these comments oddly compelling, as I find points of agreement with both sides about each game. So does that I mean I love them equally, or hate them equally?

Either way, I'm looking forward to more Fallout.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Internet Explorer Jan 3, 2013, 16:58 Atomic

I think I've seen you before....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lD9FAOPBiDk

Oh, and Microsoft is quite aware of these opinions and are having fun with it - http://browseryoulovedtohate.com/

Disclaimer: I use Waterfox and Chrome.

-George Bernard Shaw

18. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Jan 2, 2013, 13:44 Atomic

Atomic wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:28:
I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore.
Bodolza wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:36:
Or you could have upgraded to Win7 instead, then you wouldn't have to ignore it at all, and you'd have the option of having a usable Start menu.

So you are saying I should of paid more to retain functionality I admitted was not important to me? I'll admit, there is probably very little compelling reason for someone to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but coming from Vista, $40 was a no-brainer, at least to me.

-George Bernard Shaw

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:28 Atomic

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 12:13:
Is this where I quietly admit that I own a Surface and really, really like it?

Or where I admit I upgraded from Vista to Windows 8 and don't regret it? I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore. A week after the upgrade, I was shrugging over why there is so much hate for it, but to each his own, I guess.

-George Bernard Shaw

17. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 13:43 Atomic

I'm still on Vista, and want (need) to upgrade. I understand that Windows 8 is not incrementally much of a better upgrade than Windows 7, but considering I can get Windows 8 for $40, should I just make the leap, or pay more for Windows 7?  

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Out of the Blue
47. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 17:16 Atomic

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:58:
They weren't going to get people covered, they weren't going to deal with the problem of pre-existing conditions. They had no solutions.

Atomic wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:05:
None that you heard through traditional media anyway. There were actually several, but most are free market based, so immediately rejected by big government proponents.

- Medical Liability Reform "enact common-sense medical liability reforms to lower costs, rein in junk lawsuits and curb defensive medicine"
- Purchase Health Insurance Across State Lines "spurs competition in the market"
- Expand Health Savings Accounts (HSA's)
- Ensure Access for Patients with Pre-Existing Conditions "make it illegal for an insurance company to deny coverage to someone with prior coverage on the basis of a pre-existing condition, eliminate annual and lifetime spending caps, and prevent insurers from dropping your coverage just because you get sick"

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:08:
Right, and how were they going to get that last one through? That's what the mandate was for, which was a Republican idea from the 90s. Also, how were they going to reconcile state laws to allow for purchasing across state lines? They never really addressed that either. So these were just sort of ideas thrown out, but without a real explanation of how they could actually be implemented.

My point being you just said none and that is clearly more than none. Yes, the details never got completely worked out, but because they were never allowed to be discussed.

-George Bernard Shaw

44. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 17:05 Atomic

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:58:
They weren't going to get people covered, they weren't going to deal with the problem of pre-existing conditions. They had no solutions.

None that you heard through traditional media anyway. There were actually several, but most are free market based, so immediately rejected by big government proponents.

- Medical Liability Reform "enact common-sense medical liability reforms to lower costs, rein in junk lawsuits and curb defensive medicine"
- Purchase Health Insurance Across State Lines "spurs competition in the market"
- Expand Health Savings Accounts (HSA's)
- Ensure Access for Patients with Pre-Existing Conditions "make it illegal for an insurance company to deny coverage to someone with prior coverage on the basis of a pre-existing condition, eliminate annual and lifetime spending caps, and prevent insurers from dropping your coverage just because you get sick"

-George Bernard Shaw

36. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 15:42 Atomic

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:10:
Yes, because the GOP wouldn't permit anything to get done.

It's not like Obama or the democrats are moving to the middle to meet them either, though. They can only be expected to move so far. If they move all the way, it's not compromise, it's capitulation.

Obamacare is the shining example of his "my way or the highway" approach to policy. Wouldn't even stop to let it be read before it was voted on, for goodness sake.

-George Bernard Shaw

12. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Sep 26, 2012, 12:52 Atomic

This is not even worth discussing until children can drive themselves to the fast-food restaurants.

That being said, I'm finding the whole notion of advertising increasing more silly as I get older. I don't think I'm unique in that I only buy something when I need it, and I don't shop brands, I buy based on value proposition. But, maybe I am. TV commercials any more fall into one of two buckets; entertainment or annoyance. I rarely even remember the product.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 31, 2012, 21:29 Atomic

I bought an earlier version of this concept when they closed them out on Woot, the Entourage Pocket Edge. Nice toy, but not really practical. It would be a lot more useful though with newer hardware, especially if they could get it much thinner. Books are just much nicer to read on e-ink, in my opinion.  

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
11. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 22:01 Atomic

Overon wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 21:57:
Has there ever been a court case where such a "no class action" agreement for use has ever been upheld?

It's been upheld:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanitz_v._Rogers_Cable_Inc.

And rejected:
http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2071

I guess it depends on the specifics and merits of the individual cases.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
6. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 21:53 Atomic

Regardless how you feel about this, it's hard to dispute this:

In far too many cases however, class actions donít provide any real benefit to users and instead impose unnecessary expense and delay, and are often designed to benefit the class action lawyers who craft and litigate these claims. Class actions like these do not benefit us or our communities.

-George Bernard Shaw

490 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo