Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim K

Real Name Tim K   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Atomic
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2000, 18:02
Total Comments 481 (Amateur)
User ID 2718

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The High Price of Hacking?
7. Re: Privacy Nov 14, 2002, 10:49 Atomic

Our judicial system works slowly by design... to keep mistakes from being made.

Slow and thorough are two different things. Most of the slowness is due to frivolity. But I get your point and agree. I wouldn't want it any other way, especially if I'm the one on trial.

Certainly measures to expedite an investigation into a matter of national security or life and death is a good thing, isn't it? I see this as the same as not needed a court order to use the jaws of life on a crushed car. If there is an emergency, they want the ability to act. At least, that's how I see it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Privacy Nov 14, 2002, 10:35 Atomic

Ok, help me out here. I've always wondered why some people get so concerned about things like this, and cry lack of privacy.

I've always thought it was funny that there are those that think the government has a room full of people just sitting around waiting to snoop on you. That's silly. (IMHO, it's also very self-centered to think you are that important). No way can the government keep track of EVERYBODY and why would they want to? It detracts time and manpower from looking at real threats and real problems.

It seems that they just want the ability to react quickly when necessary. We all know how slow the judicial process can work.

If I'm off base, please inform me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

2. Re: SCARY Nov 14, 2002, 09:42 Atomic

It doesn't sound scary when you read it.

Permit limited surveillance without a court order when there is an "ongoing attack" on an Internet-connected computer or "an immediate threat to a national security interest." That kind of surveillance would, however, be limited to obtaining a suspect's telephone number, IP address, URLs or e-mail header information--not the contents of online communications or telephone calls. Under federal law, such taps can take place when there's a threat of "serious bodily injury to any person" or activity involving organized crime.

Change current law, which says it's illegal for an Internet provider to "knowingly divulge" what users do except in some specific circumstances, such as when it's troubleshooting glitches, receiving a court order or tipping off police that a crime is in progress. CSEA expands that list to include when "an emergency involving danger of death or serious physical injury to any person requires disclosure of the information without delay."

Maybe I've naive, but that sounds like a prudent measure in today's climate.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Change in formating? Nov 8, 2002, 16:40 Atomic

The -Posted by is now at the bottom of the post? Is that new or am I crazy?

Yes.

But I think its kinda silly. Time and date yea, but by? Who else but Blue would post?

Wait... now its gone. Guess I'm crazy too.

edit:forgot to close quote
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 16:41.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Tech Bits
6. Re: No subject Nov 4, 2002, 15:15 Atomic

(*: What the hell is the opposite of improvement?)

degrade, or degradation.

Also, take a look at Ultimate Zip. All the functionality of Winzip and Power Archiver, but free (save for a brief ad sponsored splash screen).

-George Bernard Shaw

3. Portable Player Oct 25, 2002, 16:38 Atomic

The new Creative MP3 player in the story:

http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=483&category=2&maincategory=2

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 16:42.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Sniper Game Fallout
3. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2002, 13:41 Atomic

I see your point, and I agree in a free society both should be available.

The only reason I could conceive is that the game has pictures on the box of shooters and the word "SNIPER" and the way the media is working everyone into a frenzy, I could see some sensitivity to it.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > DOOM III Q&A
4. Re: coop Oct 8, 2002, 16:48 Atomic

It's a bird..
It's a plane..
No, It's PEDANTIC MAN!

-George Bernard Shaw

9. Re: Must have gamesssss Oct 4, 2002, 09:39 Atomic

My favorite is GoGamer.com. They usually have great prices, and sometimes offer specials on shipping.

You can also sometimes find good deal at Amazon and Buy.com on occassion, believe it or not.

Finally, check BestBuy and CompUSA. Both run sales and/or web specials.

Happy Hunting!

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 09:39.

-George Bernard Shaw

9. Case against Oct 3, 2002, 11:55 Atomic

I don't think Mike Martinez is getting his links from Slashdot. I never visit Slashdot, but I do get a daily e-mail from CNet and Zdnet about technology stories and I recognize most of his links. I just figured he is getting those same newsletters.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 11:55.

-George Bernard Shaw

6. Games Oct 3, 2002, 10:16 Atomic

Games don't cost too much if you're frugal and buy them on sale. It's only when you just have to have the latest title out of the gate that you'll pay the price. I waited and paid $34.99 for BF:1942. I'll get UT:2003 when it drops under $40, and the same for NOLF2. There is no reason to pay $50+ for any title, and I won't.

-George Bernard Shaw

43. Hehe Sep 30, 2002, 14:45 Atomic

I just noticed the "official looking hidden text" in the page source. Nice touch.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > NVIDIA and 8X AGP
4. Re: uhhhh... Sep 25, 2002, 13:21 Atomic

What the heck are "today's fast-paced 'fly-through' applications"??

Any game by Raven Software.

-George Bernard Shaw

5. Re: Not much need Sep 24, 2002, 10:36 Atomic

An few less seconds to wait for a website to load or to send of an email hardly demands the price jump between the two.

Aye, and there's the rub. People do love the speed. My friends and family love surfing on my cable connection when they visit. But, it's not worth the price jump for them to get it. If broadband was priced differently (i.e. more affordable), I know it would be more popular. I think a tiered structure would be best. Drop dial-up down to $10 or so, and then start broadband at $20 or so for 128k or 256k, and incrementally increase from there with speed tiers.

A cheap tier around $20-$25 for DSL/Cable "Lite" would be appealing to a lot of people I bet, and not only for the speed. The "always-on" nature, the ability to surf and still use the telephone, and capability of having multiple computers connected far outweigh the speed to most users.
This comment was edited on Sep 24, 10:40.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > UT2003 Gold
68. Re: UT2K3 is simply not advanced enough..... Sep 20, 2002, 17:09 Atomic

To: 216.23

For the love of God, man, when are you going to accept that anon is gone? Get over it!

I haven't heard so much whining since the 2000 election.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > UT2003 Gold
47. Re: ... Sep 20, 2002, 13:30 Atomic

any ideas?

Yep. Not ready, so they axed them to get the product out the door. We'll see them again in the first bonus pack.

-George Bernard Shaw

17. Puhleez! Sep 20, 2002, 11:56 Atomic

Blue,

This is a total self-serving request, but its worth a shot. Can you please drop the logo down about 1/4" inch or thereabouts so the banner ad can go all the way to the left, eliminating a horizontal scrollbar? This is the only site I get the horizontal scroll on.

Still wondering about the point of that blank space...
-TK (with apologies to Ray)

-George Bernard Shaw

10. Re: questions Sep 10, 2002, 16:21 Atomic

just out of curiousity... what does happen to hacked xp's if the sp1 is installed?

SP1 invalidates about 100 or so of the most popular XP keys out there used by pirates. Most of them are stolen corporate keys.

http://www.earthv.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=576

http://www.wininsider.com/news/comments.aspx?mid=1939

edit: added second link

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:27.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Xymph's Finale
35. Bittersweet Aug 23, 2002, 10:05 Atomic

Good luck Frans. We'll miss you.

-George Bernard Shaw

27. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2002, 14:36 Atomic

Bagpuss,

Not showing them is different than not allowing them. They still take up bandwidth and distract the direction of a thread when they are allowed.

If you want to add something useful, I'd like to have an ignore list for the registered trolls that get through.

Thanks.

-George Bernard Shaw

481 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo