Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim K

Real Name Tim K   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Atomic
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2000, 18:02
Total Comments 469 (Amateur)
User ID 2718

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA and 8X AGP
4. Re: uhhhh... Sep 25, 2002, 13:21 Atomic

What the heck are "today's fast-paced 'fly-through' applications"??

Any game by Raven Software.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tech Bits
5. Re: Not much need Sep 24, 2002, 10:36 Atomic

An few less seconds to wait for a website to load or to send of an email hardly demands the price jump between the two.

Aye, and there's the rub. People do love the speed. My friends and family love surfing on my cable connection when they visit. But, it's not worth the price jump for them to get it. If broadband was priced differently (i.e. more affordable), I know it would be more popular. I think a tiered structure would be best. Drop dial-up down to $10 or so, and then start broadband at $20 or so for 128k or 256k, and incrementally increase from there with speed tiers.

A cheap tier around $20-$25 for DSL/Cable "Lite" would be appealing to a lot of people I bet, and not only for the speed. The "always-on" nature, the ability to surf and still use the telephone, and capability of having multiple computers connected far outweigh the speed to most users.
This comment was edited on Sep 24, 10:40.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > UT2003 Gold
68. Re: UT2K3 is simply not advanced enough..... Sep 20, 2002, 17:09 Atomic

To: 216.23

For the love of God, man, when are you going to accept that anon is gone? Get over it!

I haven't heard so much whining since the 2000 election.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > UT2003 Gold
47. Re: ... Sep 20, 2002, 13:30 Atomic

any ideas?

Yep. Not ready, so they axed them to get the product out the door. We'll see them again in the first bonus pack.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Puhleez! Sep 20, 2002, 11:56 Atomic

Blue,

This is a total self-serving request, but its worth a shot. Can you please drop the logo down about 1/4" inch or thereabouts so the banner ad can go all the way to the left, eliminating a horizontal scrollbar? This is the only site I get the horizontal scroll on.

Still wondering about the point of that blank space...
-TK (with apologies to Ray)

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Tech Bits
10. Re: questions Sep 10, 2002, 16:21 Atomic

just out of curiousity... what does happen to hacked xp's if the sp1 is installed?

SP1 invalidates about 100 or so of the most popular XP keys out there used by pirates. Most of them are stolen corporate keys.

http://www.earthv.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=576

http://www.wininsider.com/news/comments.aspx?mid=1939

edit: added second link

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:27.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Xymph's Finale
35. Bittersweet Aug 23, 2002, 10:05 Atomic

Good luck Frans. We'll miss you.

-George Bernard Shaw

27. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2002, 14:36 Atomic

Bagpuss,

Not showing them is different than not allowing them. They still take up bandwidth and distract the direction of a thread when they are allowed.

If you want to add something useful, I'd like to have an ignore list for the registered trolls that get through.

Thanks.

-George Bernard Shaw

58. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 16:17 Atomic

Ideally, the more choices, the better -- customization is a function of good design.

Agreed, but Blue already runs on a shoestring budget, and now you want him to implement customized software. He already said in an earlier post they do not have the programming resources available.

Perhaps if he went to a subscription service, then you could pay for those options. Of course, that ideal is probably even more horrid to your way of thinking.

As I see it, this is the easiest and cheapest way to deal with the problem, and like I said, seems to be working so far.

I still fail to see the issue, and probably never will, so perhaps this should be my final comment on the matter.

-George Bernard Shaw

54. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 16:03 Atomic

Explain to me how I would of had the luxury of keeping track of you with anonymous posts enabled. That IP trunc could be anyone. There is a much better chance when I see the clickable name it is the same person (almost guaranteed, unless you give out your password or let someone on your machine).

And speaking of the clickable name, you can't do that with anons. There is something to be said for being able to see what other threads someone has participated in, particularly someone who's opinions you find interesting, even if they are wrong.

-George Bernard Shaw

48. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 15:45 Atomic

Why are you claiming that because you don't see any haxx0r speak as of this morning, that the trolls have been utterly vanquished?

Because so far, they have. Look at all the threads to day. No trolls or idiots in any of them.

I'm not naive enough to think it will always be this way, but so far, so good, and I'm very encouraged.

And, I'm glad you registered. Now I can keep an eye out for you and always expect an intelligent debate. If you had posted anonymously, I would not have that luxury.

-George Bernard Shaw

39. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 15:33 Atomic

But you have to admit, JHMirage is right, so what do you attribute it to?

-George Bernard Shaw

30. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 15:06 Atomic

My gripe with this (and really, whether it's the best solution or not, is irrelevant to the point) is that it was suddenly instated without much concensus or discussion from the community

Explain to me why a democratic process should be part of a website provided to you for free courtesy of the generosity and entertainment of its benefactor.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Neocron Beta Client
12. Re: 1.08 GB? Aug 20, 2002, 14:45 Atomic

Thanks Xombie.

One more question; will Beta 3 characters still be active?

(If this is in an FAQ somewhere, please thwap me)

-George Bernard Shaw

25. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 13:53 Atomic

Are you saying that I am in the wrong for trying to understand and potentially help this site?

If that is your motivation, no. But I do question your argument if you think that the state of the boards lately is a good thing, and many feel that it is due to abuse of anon posting. If you don't agree, that's fine, but don't question the integrity of the site's owner. If you know of a better solution, offer it, but I think Blue's decision is a sound one, and long over due.

-George Bernard Shaw

21. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 13:12 Atomic

I still don't see why you care. What difference does it make what reasons Blue uses to come to a decision?

IT'S HIS WEBSITE.

I don't understand why you cannot grasp that concept.

-George Bernard Shaw

18. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 12:53 Atomic

Anon@216.23;

Exactly what is your problem with this? Did you use to toss a fit when you had to play football by your neighbor's rules when you were in his yard?

This is Stephen's website. He can do what he wants. Period. You don't pay to use it. If you did, as a customer, you'd have a right to make demands. Since its free, you do not.

-George Bernard Shaw

13. Just a thought Aug 20, 2002, 12:24 Atomic

Blue,

Now that you've done the right thing (IMHO) and removed anon posting, you do realize the next logical step is a subscription service? After all, most of the people that register to post are regulars and would probably throw a few dollars your way.

Then you can have let the anons have their free site. Load it up with ads, and let us regulars have the ads free anon free subscription site.

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Neocron Beta Client
1. 1.08 GB? Aug 20, 2002, 12:15 Atomic

Madre de Dios!

Does anyone know if someone in Beta 3 needs to download the complete Beta 4 package?

-George Bernard Shaw

4. Re: Yet again... Jun 27, 2002, 11:29 Atomic

This is not political correctness you idiots, it's called moving with the times, having respect for other people's beliefs..

Unless you happen to believe in a "God" right? No one seems to care about respecting the beliefs of the majority of people that happen to believe in some form of God.

The pledge does not endorse one particular God. It can apply to any God. And if you happen to be an atheist, don't say that part. Simple.

"Political correctness run amok" is right. It is your reaction, sir, that most do not understand.

-George Bernard Shaw

469 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo