Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim K

Real Name Tim K   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Atomic
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2000, 18:02
Total Comments 481 (Amateur)
User ID 2718

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Demo Today
29. Re: XP or 2000 only... May 28, 2004, 14:15 Atomic

That numbnut doesn't know what he is talking about. I manage a technical support department, and the problems with Windows 98 outnumber Windows XP 10 to 1. We cringe when the customer says they have 98, because we know it is going to be a long call, often with no satisfactory resolution.

-TimK(drekhead)

Pascal said, “Reason’s last step is the recognition that there are an infinite number of things which are beyond it. It is merely feeble if it does not go as far as to realize that.”

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Xbox 2 & PC Hybrid?
5. Re: no way May 27, 2004, 11:55 Atomic

What you will end up with is an over-priced console, and a mediocre PC that you cannot upgrade.

No thanks.

-TimK(drekhead)

Pascal said, “Reason’s last step is the recognition that there are an infinite number of things which are beyond it. It is merely feeble if it does not go as far as to realize that.”

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: OT May 25, 2004, 13:48 Atomic

I have no personal experience with the i850, but is listed on both Hawking's compatibility list, and the compatibility list I have from their Chinese engineers. The Hawking print server support IPP, LPR, and their own protocol (the Network Print Monitor) so you should try all three. Some printers will work with one protocol, but not another.

My experience has been that if you can use a printer driver built-in to Windows, you can get it to work with a print server. If you have to use the manufacturer's driver, the odds drop significantly. Even if there is not a specific driver listed in Windows for that model, you should be able to find a compatible driver. For example, the HP Deskjet 500 and 550 driver works for just about every HP Deskjet printer.

The reason that printer manufacturers are doing what you talk about, especially with the lower end models, is because they are no longer interesting in selling printers. They want to sell ink cartridges and other consumables, so they are taking the logic circuits out of the printers and putting them in the software. All the low end printers are anymore is just a plastic box that holds the ink and the paper.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

12. Re: OT May 25, 2004, 12:02 Atomic

I support print servers, including the Hawking models, so I think I can answer this.

Zathrus was correct; third party print servers will not work with PSC devices. You would have to go with HP's proprietary solution.

In some cases, you can get basic printing only but you will lose the scanner and other functions. The Hawking USB models do support basic printing for the PSC750 model. You must use IPP, and you would need to install the Deskjet 990c driver.

The PSC is a great desktop device, but it is a lousy network printer. If you want to have a network printer, you might be better off to consider a cheap standalone inkjet or laser printer.

Hope that helps!

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Announcement
24. Re: Not Trauma Apr 20, 2004, 12:52 Atomic

Not according to that same article I linked...

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Announcement
11. Not Trauma Apr 20, 2004, 11:52 Atomic

This is NOT the project Trauma is working on for Dice/EA:

http://www.fpscentral.com/index.php?game=3&site=news&id=2991

I suspect Trauma project will be an expansion pack for BF:V.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

35. Re: Noisy ads Apr 13, 2004, 16:41 Atomic

Ditto, Enahs. I thought it was a Firefox thing, because I didn't see it until I switched.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Joint Ops Demo Patch
17. Re: I forget... Apr 5, 2004, 15:50 Atomic

When its a beta demo? Definitely good.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > Joint Operations Demo
8. Re: No subject Mar 31, 2004, 13:35 Atomic

Been playing in the beta for a while. This game is very addictive, and agreed, doesn't feel like Battlefield at all. I don't know if it's the game or the players in the beta, but there is definitely much more teamwork in this game. Graphics are really good, and it runs smooth on my AMD XP2200 and my ti4800.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

48. Re: blow away a cow Mar 26, 2004, 15:32 Atomic

nin,

Interestingly enough, CGW has a review of that very system this month. 4.5 out of 5 stars. Here's their bottom line:

If you're looking for a transportable, solid LAN-party box and aren't inclined to build one yourself, then Falcon's got the rig for you. Appreciate, however, that the $1,800 price doesn't include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers - getting these components from Falcon will add another $325 to the system price. Another downside is that the machine's key components (except for memory) are fixed; in other words, you can't substitute in a Radeon 9800XT video card or AMD CPU. But the box's current configuration is strong enough to play today's games, and leaves you in good shape for upcoming titles like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

They also make laptop's with upgradable video now. Alienware has them, and I believe Dell has a model as well. I think the Fragbox sounds like a nice system for the money, and it certainly look cool. I guess it all depends on if he wants to lug around the monitor or not. Laptop is certainly more convenient.

-TimK(drekhead)

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 15:32.

-George Bernard Shaw

25. Re: Sopranos and David? Mar 25, 2004, 16:07 Atomic

Yea, well, not everyone can be married to the Heinz heiress.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

72. Re: Firefox question for the gurus... Mar 19, 2004, 16:58 Atomic

Yep, that's what happened. I had to uninstall Avant to get it to work. Avant hijacked the setting and wouldn't let go.

Thanks for the tip though Bronco!

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

64. Re: Firefox question for the gurus... Mar 19, 2004, 15:33 Atomic

Is there a manual way to set Firefox as the default browser? Button in Tools|Options|General isn't working.

TIA.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

17. Re: SP/MP? (#8) Mar 19, 2004, 11:19 Atomic

No, it could be buggy, but how many other people are having problems with that specific map? Doesn't seem to be many, from what I can gather. Therefore, it seems more likely something on Blue's system.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

8. Re: SP/MP? Mar 19, 2004, 10:36 Atomic

Blue,

Maybe that particular map file is sitting on a bad sector on your hard drive. Try chkdsk, and if that doesn't work, re-install the game.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

32. Re: Eldin! Mar 9, 2004, 15:22 Atomic

And the circle is complete.

This "always dies in threes" stuff is downright spooky.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

6. RIP Mar 9, 2004, 10:18 Atomic

Capt. Tyrell.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

14. Re: Is it his lack of accuracy Feb 16, 2004, 17:22 Atomic

What's the death toll? That could be why it's not getting as much press as the one last year.

Only one death, and they say it was accidental (i.e. he wasn't aiming at the victim).

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

16. Re: GI Joe Feb 11, 2004, 17:00 Atomic

I think he is finally admitting that there may be some truth to recent data and it is his clever way to recant his previous "Bush lied" rhetoric without having to admit he was wrong, because obviously to do so would be completely out of character for him, and be a huge blow to his overinflated ego.

Am I being sarcastic? You decide.

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

News Comments > UT2004 Demo Maps
5. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2004, 13:38 Atomic

One map for each game type.

Assault, Bombing Run, Deathmatch, CTF, and Onslaught. There are 10 types total.
http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/modes.php

-TimK(drekhead)

-George Bernard Shaw

481 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo