Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ NO-441628*Spam
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 3043 (Veteran)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > More Project Eternity Goals
30. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:07:

I had a chip card in Holland in the late 90s, and I never really saw much purpose to the damn thing. It was on the same card as my debit card, so instead of having to swipe my card and type a four digit pin and pay out of my account, I had to preload the chip, then I'd hold it near the chip "reader", and after a few seconds it would deduct the chip amount.

But why won't your CC's work? Are they still a Master or Visa card? The chip wouldn't do anything in a normal CC reader.
Chip cards(I use interac as an example this is our banking card system) are different than what you're talking about. That's RFID. Chipped cards here are a physical chip on the card that uses 2-factor authentication instead of one factor(just the PIN). The reason why it can can fail is because of the way chipped cards are encoded as "chip in first or refused authentication" doesn't always happen but it's more of a hassle. At pumps in the US they're invalid because you can't give them a zipcode, they require a postal code that's tied to the chip and strip. Again doesn't always happen, but it's more common than not now.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:53 Mashiki Amiketo

Yet now the US is wallowing in CC misery. The majority canadian of my credit cards now fail to work in the US because they're chipped, and require extra verification to work properly at things like gas pumps. I've even had them fail at regular terminals in stores. This has led me to get a US bank account and credit card so I can avoid the entire mess until you guys catch up. The US is about 5 years behind the times on things like chip technology. Though the rest of the world is 10 years behind the times on paying with your phone, you could do that in parts of asia back in early 2000ish.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

22. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Music that they have in the latest update is ... really nice.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > New Morrowind Overhaul
2. Re: New Morrowind Overhaul Oct 1, 2012, 20:48 Mashiki Amiketo

:p You can build your own using the steam workshop you know that right?

But it looks like I'm gonna have to sit down and play morrowind again, wonder if I should dust off the discs with a backup of my old morrowind mods.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2012, 12:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah you're probably right on the manual handcrank jobs still working fine after 100 years. My grandmother is still using her mothers 1950's automatic rising/lowering toaster and still works perfectly, though I did have to get some german solder(silver/tin/flux) to fix on element on it about 5 years ago for her. And every toaster I've owned in the last few years dies out after a few years, or starts to burn toast.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2012, 13:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Former copyright boss...I believe that should have been. Horse whip maker, screams cars are destroying his industry.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer
21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer Sep 29, 2012, 20:15 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 16:25:
Well, I loved the demo and the RPS hands-on preview sold me, but then again I was really effing stoked for Brink and all the previews were pretty glowing too and we see how that turned out.
I'll be perfectly honest, I trust ARS about as far as I could throw them. About the time they decided to become whiners, and complain about ad blocking while refusing to do anything about malware laced ads was the last nail in the coffin for them in my book. Anything before that was just a slow march to the glue factory.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer Sep 29, 2012, 16:08 Mashiki Amiketo

J wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 16:01:
Ha! Found it under S for Sid, instead of C for Civ. Neat!
Cheers man and enjoy!

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer Sep 29, 2012, 15:53 Mashiki Amiketo

J wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 15:30:
Ooh, I didn't realise it would be before the game release. Nice. No sign of it yet, even after a restart. Did you pre-order early?
I preordered last week on the monday, it popped up in the messages box at the top of the screen. Then I got a second reminder that it was in my steam inventory when I rebooted my PC a few hours ago.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer Sep 29, 2012, 15:12 Mashiki Amiketo

J wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 14:59:
Also pre-ordered. Looking forward to my free Civ V. I can see myself putting a lot of hours into them
I got my free Civ V last night, so you should get yours today or "soon"

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Farming Simulator 2013 Trailer
3. Re: Farming Simulator 2013 Trailer Sep 28, 2012, 13:15 Mashiki Amiketo

ASeven wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 12:27:
I laughed. Then cried. Then laughed some more.
People need a farming simulator...yeah I think I'll join you. We've still got another couple of weeks before we start heading off to friends and families places to help with harvesting corn. *joy...* At least we get free siloshine at the end of the year.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
78. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 18:58 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 17:20:

I don't see much damage to the desktop because the mainstream coverage of WP8 is absolutely glowing.
Meh. The reviews from the mainstream press are about as trustworthy as greek bonds.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

67. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 16:53 Mashiki Amiketo

By the way, anyone who's going to get stuck using Win8 like me and wants to have a start menu and likes Start8

promocode time: WK4-MYLR-QLXP-BOOW

I think it's only good for a day or two, but it'll knock 20% off.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Korean Valve Bid?
20. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 15:36 Mashiki Amiketo

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:53:
NCSoft... LOL. They can dream, though!
In other news...

Valve buys NCsoft...hahaha... well it could be funny.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

38. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 27, 2012, 12:36 Mashiki Amiketo

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 12:32:
At home they are qualified to do whatever the hell they want, imo.
Exactly. If they screw something up, well that's fine too. Because it just means some extra cash in your pocket at the end of the day. You do like money don't you? And they learned a valuable lesson about flipping pretty buttons. Hey, everyone in IT learned the same way, oohhh...*shiny* it doesn't hurt to break things on your own. It's how you learn.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
17. Re: Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal Sep 26, 2012, 19:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Bradley wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 18:00:
A game editor for something with this kind of graphical style would be a real challenge. The maps looks seamlessly "hand drawn" as one large image. Trying to match the art style would be far out of scope for most people using the editor. I'd love it if they found a way to pull it off using some kind of drag and drop gallery of preassembled pieces though. Not going to hold my breath though.
Could start bringing back some of the classic folk from the BG/BG2 days, there were a few that did draw hand maps for mods, not many. But it was an earlier era and all that. I was part of a mod team that was heavily involved in building a lich mod for BG2. Whether or not it ever got released after I did my part(core lich spells, rebirth redesign as well as quest components) I have no idea, I was pretty burned out by that point and pretty much cut myself off from the team, especially the fucking whining and mass egotism. Though there was some really cool people especially the sprite artist, man the girl who was doing the sprites for the transformation stuff...she did amazing work.

Well anyway, there's a lot more people out there now and a lot more people who've got time and skill honed over the years. We'll just have to see.

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 19:40:
I have to ask, what have they been doing for the last 2 years since New Vegas DLC?
I'm guessing:
Dungeon Siege 3 and their South Park game, oh and their TBA'd Wheel of Time game.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
6. Re: Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal Sep 26, 2012, 15:22 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 15:16:
It does, but anytime the goal is vastly exceeded and additional goals get tacked on, it can push that back a bit.
I'd almost expect it to be pushed back at this point considering the amount of extra stuff that we're going to see now. Which is perfectly a-okay by me! Though considering how successful this has been as a kickstarter, I wonder how much more in sales it's going to have. And whether we'll see a boom in 2d isometric games.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 26, 2012, 00:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 20:00:
... and things like paying for channels ala carte and real competition are somehow bad for us.
Man you haven't seen anything until you've lived in Canada. $150 would be a steal.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo
20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo Sep 24, 2012, 14:04 Mashiki Amiketo

Alright that was damn fun. Preordered, and I was worried that it was going to suck. There's some wonkiness to the camera controls being too fast turning. But it's fun, without a doubt, and feels like xcom too.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 23, 2012, 13:56 Mashiki Amiketo

Ehhhhyyyy...
We promise to honors the DNT. Let us show you ads...
*9mo later...*
Fuck you and your DNT, we won't honor it anyway.

And this is part of the reason why people use adblockers. The other part is a pure security issue.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3043 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo