Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ NO-441628*Spam
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 2970 (Senior)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
18. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 19:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 16:29:
Oh please. I've been with my provider for almost 10 years www.aei.ca and they have never had caps. There are many other providers out there who are the same. You simply need to get off your ass and shop around.
There's plenty of places in Canada where you can't get an ISP without cap's still. About half of the prairies and maritimes is like that, a third of Quebec. About 20% of Ontario(no DSLAM or leasing agreements with Cable Co's), and so on. Which leaves you to be served by ... Bell, Rogers, Telus, or one or two others who hold a monopoly position.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 14:36 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 12:43:
I would be hesitant to call it a human rights violation, but caps anywhere are fucking stupid.

Laws in Canaada are somewhat different than those in the US. In Canada S.2b of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms says:
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

This is of course overridden by S.1 of the charter, but there's been no arguments based on this, in court or parliament it has gone to committee and senate arguments though. And so far, the current government has gone as far as to threaten the governing body in charge(CRTC) with taking them back to parliament and redefining their mandate if they don't get their act together the last time they were screwing around with the arbitrarily low caps up here for 3rd party ISPs who lease connections from other ISPs(like Bell, Rogers, Cogeco and Telus). What they wanted was GAS(DSL) customers to pay about 7 times as much as their own customers, about $90/mo for 50GB, while their own customers pay $40/mo for 60GB. And rogers was trying to pull the same on the Cable side.

And when it did happen, the CRTC changed their tune quick. There are options for the most part, in most of Canada. And most people now have options to find 3rd party ISP's who are cheaper and have better services. The reality is though, Canada is so fucked up, so screwed up with our industry rules that I'm pretty sure we're going to have to make the broadband infrastructure a crown corporation(like some provinces do for telephone and insurance--because the industry has screwed everyone over). It's not a bad idea, it does work in several countries, especially if it's hands-off by the government and ISP's do the maintenance and keep the technology current.

The only other option is to change the foreign ownership rules that have been in play for decades and that may be coming with the Wind-Telus-Bell-Rogers fiasco in the cellphone market right now. After Telus and Bell screamed that Wind Mobile was "too foreign owned" thus not Canadian enough. But apparently both Bell and Telus have more than 56% foreign ownership.

Anyway, the way it stands for Cable/DSL is all over the place here. But I'm on Teksavvy paying $49/mo with tax on my own modem for 300GB/mo@25/1 while rogers charges $49/mo for 25/1 with a 70GB cap. If paid an extra $8 bucks I could get unlimited.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
97. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 Mashiki Amiketo

John wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 12:46:
They don't have to ask for that much, they'll probably get over that much by the time it's over!
91k needed to reach their goal, so getting more than they need seems to be a pretty high chance.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

91. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 23:09 Mashiki Amiketo

John wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:54:
I wonder when Obsidian will post their first update about the huge support they've gotten so far.
They posted something this evening on their forums ~8:39pm:

From J.E Sawyer Thank you:
To everyone who has contributed, is considering contributing, or is just checking out the site: thank you so much for your interest and support. The site has had some ups and downs due to the high traffic, but we appreciate your questions and comments and will be trying to catch up with them as quickly as we can. To see such a dramatic outpouring of support from the community is truly astonishing. Thanks again.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

84. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 20:49 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 20:22:
John wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 19:41:
Wow, 50% funded already! By end of day tomorrow it may already be fully funded.

Pretty cool, huh?

Yeah, by the looks of it, it'll be done by tomorrow. It's already popped $600k.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

73. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 19:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 19:28:

I remember I always had the "pause on combat" setting checked, so you could plan out your battles at the very beginning, even when you were surprised. "Pause on target destroyed" was nice as well. Probably had a few others set, but I don't recall the specifics.
The ones I can remember are: pause on combat, on enemy found/spotted, ammo/weapon ineffective, on hit(surprise), end of turn/round, character death, enemy killed. I think there are two more.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

69. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 18:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 18:38:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:49:
I'd drop $100 today on them if this was a scifi game or something set in the future.
Yeah I much prefer sci-fi myself. TOO MANY fantasy games.
I'm not too picky as long as it's good. We've got a steampunk game coming from cdprojekt, who knows maybe if this one is good we'll get a sci-fi game from Obsidian. Hell float the idea to them. Speak of which it just broke $500k

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

49. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 17:32 Mashiki Amiketo

ViRGE wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 17:20:
Am I the only one that finds Obsidian using Kickstarter to be a bit repugnant? They're an established developer - they should be going to a publisher and doing it right, not hitting up gamers for money before they've even begun. It's like a millionaire panhandling.
Apparently. Because this allows them to fully skip VC's and publishers, giving them the ability to do what *they* want to the game, and finish it on their time table instead of having a gigantic clusterfuck like KoTOR2(where Lucas Arts was breathing down their neck). When you're beholden to a publisher and publishers deadlines on funding, things get cut because they say *ship it, ship it now full of bug ridden holes you monkey shit head*.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 16:55 Mashiki Amiketo

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 16:44:
My first time doing Kickstarter. I am very wary of the concept overall, but my reasons behind taking the plunge for this particular game are as follows:

I believe it sends a message that there are still enough of us "old school" gamers out there to warrant attention from the rest of the industry. We want deep and rich games, brimming with character interaction, backstories, and plot twists. We value compelling gameplay over high budget voice acting and system destroying graphics.

In short, I am putting my money where my mouth is. Please don't fuck it up, Obsidian.
You know if they don't fuck it up. And with the Xcom remake, along with Chris Roberts coming out of retirement to make games again. Someone else in the Xcom thread already said it. Could this be the coming of the new golden age of PC gaming?

Oh and $400k before the hour was out...bamf.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 16:09 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 16:04:

I'm actually free-riding on this one.
Obsidian has too sketchy a track record, I'm unsure if I'll like the setting, and this thing will blow through its funding level no problem so it doesn't need my $20.
Really the only time when Obsidian has problems is when the publishers push them to get the game out the door before it's completed. Or when they're on very tight timelines. KoTOR2 is a good example of that, especially with Lucas Arts breathing down their necks with the "ship it now" mantra.

edit: At the rate they're going, they might hit 400k within the next hour.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 15:57 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:55:
Literally going up with every refresh...amazing, and awesome.

Any bets for the end of day 1?

Might take a couple of days, but it sure the hell wouldn't surprise me. That desire for the classic style games is there, even for the younger guys in their 20's who've played them and got hooked on them.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 15:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Damn it man...just shy of 300k right now already.

Edit: skip that 300k already.

And yeah got my $25 for this, and my first kickstarter at that too.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2012, 15:44.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video
17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 19:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Slashman wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:27:
Damn!!! After that RPS article, I may just preorder this now!! ARRGGHH!!! Wall Angry
Yeah I'm almost sure I'm gonna preorder this next week now. I keep putting it off but at this point...argharhlashmarashras;lkjasrf.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 13, 2012, 14:51 Mashiki Amiketo

Julio wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 05:36:
I'm not surprised at all at more Islamic violence.
"Breathing is unislamic, riots ensue."

You know it would happen.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video
9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 14:46 Mashiki Amiketo

For those not looking at RPS: 40 hours on with xcom

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
75. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 19:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Icewind wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 18:37:
Wardell is a Republican anyway. Screw him and his company.
Good on you, don't let that bigotry eat away from the inside. Let everyone know that you're setting the "new tone" right here and right now.

Beh. I can't say I'm surprised to see comments like this.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
54. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 17:18 Mashiki Amiketo

Beh.

Sexual harassment complaints are the easiest "get rich quick" schemes on the planet these days.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 6, 2012, 13:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Odd, wonder when someone is going to hold Obama's academic records ransom.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 23:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:43:
My company has been struggling to fill the desks, just not enough devs to go around.
Good heads up and interesting. I know a few people who were working at RIM who are out of work. I'll pass that along, housing in Windsor is dirt cheap right now and I know they'd have no problems moving and cross-border commuting. They already have their NEXUS cards.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 22:31 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:46:
I love to cook, but I'd never be a chef. Likewise, I love playing games, but I would never want to be involved in making them, unless I did it as a hobby. It would just take all the fun out of it.
Hah I dated a girl back a bunch of years ago who had done training in Swiss, Italian and Japanese. She could cook stuff that would make your brain melt for it's deliciousness. When she quit working in it, you know what her words were? "This job is nothing but a sweat shop, I hate working 14 hour days, and I hate this entire fucking industry."

Yeah it happens everywhere. Though to be honest, in a down turn economy, there's no such thing as normal. Every company will push what they couldn't get away with 5-6 years before hand because there is a glut of employees out there who will take the job if you quit.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2970 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo