Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ NO-441628*Spam
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 2983 (Senior)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 16:56 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 16:01:

Hey, don't knock social justice. It's important. Just because some assholes are shrill loons that go out of their way to be incensed and outraged by every little PC thing doesn't mean social justice is a bad thing.
Justice, is important. Social justice is about "feelings" and "perceived ills." So no, it's not important, unless your ideal version of law and order is what the mob says.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 15:24 Mashiki Amiketo

mag wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 13:13:
I probably wouldn't build a machine without one these days, but the SSD-for-boot-drive hype is overblown. Maybe I just don't reboot my PC often enough, but I didn't really notice a lick of difference when I switched.

On the other hand, doing heavy data analysis on an SSD is quite a bit nicer.
I'm using a first generation SSD(OCZ vertex) now running 4 years, and with windows 8 and the hybrid boot, I'm probably seeing a total boot post UEFI of about 4-7 seconds. I can post a boot trace for anyone interested. Myself, I shut down my rig when I'm done using it for the day. With Windows 7, I was right around 10seconds when it was on UEFI. I don't have any extra room on my SSD to make a partition right now, but if I did I'd be happy to post the benches on both.

I kinda wish I'd bought another SSD earlier in the year before there was a shortage of chips, causing the price to rise. They were getting down and under the $0.70/GB(I did see a few times the cost w/rebates as low as .40/GB) cost with rebates at more than one time. And to think, that it wasn't all that long ago we were looking at .50/MB heh.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 15:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 12:02:

Thread over?
With loonbats and "social justice" it's never over, they simply want you to capitulate more.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers
14. Re: New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers Sep 20, 2013, 15:13 Mashiki Amiketo

InBlack wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 03:56:
Cutter hold off on that. Go for the 7950 cards as they are only slightly more expensive and are well worth the entry price. I have also heard good things about the Nvidia 760 series.
Between the two, the 760 and 7950 there isn't a huge difference, though the 7950 will actually beat the 760 in most cases there's only a 5% difference w/the radeon winning on texel rates(AF). The prices are identical as well(or depending on rebates/sales), and the 7950 is more power hungry, but with the dual fan cooling solution on the sapphire job I've got I don't even hear it running really, even with the fan at 50%. And my PC is on my desk about 2ft away.

There's a review here though as it says in the article, it comes down to what you want and the features on the card. If you have a mobo w an extra PCI-E slot, slap a cheap ass nvidia card in just for physx--I'm currently using a 520 silent made by Asus until my 560ti comes back from evga. And these are the theoretical comparisons. Anyway Cutter, enjoy whichever you pick out. Chris at CC London and I picked away at it for a good 30mins on a slow day and ran a bunch of benches, couldn't really find much difference either. But I did get damned as tired of the shoddy nvidia drives that have been coming out for the last 6mo, and AMD's seem to be above the bar for a change, at least compared to when I owned my last card which would have been about 5 years ago.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > New Tropico 4 DLC
1. Re: New Tropico 4 DLC Sep 19, 2013, 21:56 Mashiki Amiketo

It seems that the particle bug with fires/smoke/etc has been fixed as well. Mileage may vary and all that.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers
9. Re: New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers Sep 19, 2013, 20:04 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:57:
I like Sapphire a lot - my last 2 cards - but I'm thinking the ASUS card is better - and it's 10 bux cheaper to boot.
I went with a 7950(Sapphire) myself, at CC though I was looking at the one in the first link heavily--the only thing that caught me was there was an open-box 7950 return for 20% off so I ended up paying $254w/tax--this was a week or three ago. On the upside, it doesn't matter which way you go CC still has some free radeon gaming cards. And on the otherside, there's already been one price drop on the cards.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 13, 2013, 22:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 21:52:
I don't understand how other people committing crimes in other countries fall under the purview of the American legal system.
What's even more fun is when the letter agencies are committing crimes in other countries, and aren't prosecuted for it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 15:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Hey Blue, didn't you say a while back that you had a near lightening strike? Can't quite remember, but from personal experience where my house wasn't struck, but the one across the street was...even that effected the components in an older PC and caused them to fail in a way similar to what you're describing.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
56. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 12, 2013, 00:03 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 14:13:
Kinda useless since you have to use the same PC to do it.
It's a pain, but I have my sisters PC in Alberta authorized for when I'm out there, and my home PC as well. But I'll be heading out there in a month or two, and with any luck I'll be able to see when I'm back on the east coast if it still works. I'm guessing it will, without too much of a problem.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2013, 07:10 Mashiki Amiketo

Calling EVGA tech is damn painless. I had a brand new 560ti die on me right from the store, they gave me an RMA number and a phone number. Told me to go back to the store for an exchange, and have the reseller call the number. It was an authorization on EVGA's behalf to jump the card up from a stock 560ti to their 560ti superclocked with backplate. Roughly an extra $50 on the card.

But before you go calling EVGA, pull and reseat the card. I've run across a few times where even bumping the card while seated will cause poor contact with the card and the PCI-E slot. But 500/501 errors can mean a whole lot of nothing. Or a whole lot of something, thats the real problem with them.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch
6. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch Sep 11, 2013, 07:05 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 23:08:
Angry Joe's review of the game featured some absolutely hilarious goofs from the AI in this game. I think my favorite was the soldiers climbing the siege tower, then jumping off beside the wall, rather than going ON the wall.

It's getting to be ridiculous that every Total War game just has absolutely terrible AI like that, despite their promise (every single time) that they've put more people and more time into the AI than ever before.
If that's showing up early, then that's better than what normally happens. Usually the AI gets to a "okay" state, then something stupid happens and they break it. My personal favorite was during the seige's in Shogun2, where walls were missing on cliff based buildings. And your entire army could climb a sheer wall.

But beside that, I haven't run across anything that would make me go "meh" over the game. Though in the last week I've only added an extra hour of playtime.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2013, 14:11 Mashiki Amiketo

I personally prefer using bluescreenview. Though I have run across this error before, especially with ram and random BSOD's before, it ended up being the voltage for the new ram being too low and had to be bumped up from 1.8v to 1.9v.

The problem of course is making sure that the non-paired stick can take the extra voltage.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 04:31 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 02:48:
Sadly that bench isn't indicative of real performance.. start a custom battle Believe me, I tuned my settings so that it stays above 50fps at the back end of the benchmark and had extreme FPS drops in certain situations (Solved by turning grass entirely off = low) and shadows to medium.
Got any preference for one, or one you'd like to link? I'll re-run the benches tomorrow and post them. But yeah grass to low and shadows down to high or medium make a huge difference, but shadows no matter the game have always been a massive hardware choke for well all videocards.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 00:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Bench via the beta channel for ROME 2. Not sure if it's the same promised patch for monday but here it is. Also running a 7950 now instead of my 560ti which decided to melt it self into a pile of radioactive goo--and I didn't feel like waiting a week for EVGA to send me a replacement.

Settings
benchmark

I should toss in, in general I'm seeing a 7-8fps jump but I'd hazard a part of it is the newer card. Have to wait for sure until my 560ti is back, which will sadly be relegated to a physx card.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 02:01.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Patch 1 Released; Patch 2 Beta Next Week
7. Re: Total War: ROME II Patch 1 Released; Patch 2 Beta Next Week Sep 8, 2013, 02:16 Mashiki Amiketo

By the way guys, for anyone interested in testing the beta patch, it's now live.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Patch 1 Released; Patch 2 Beta Next Week
4. Re: Total War: ROME II Patch 1 Released; Patch 2 Beta Next Week Sep 7, 2013, 02:06 Mashiki Amiketo

1badmf wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 01:55:
i was just about to buy this. should i hold off?
It has issues like any TW game, but it's fun. If you got it as a pre-purchase+coupon discount and refund from a place like GMG, then it's by far worth it. Otherwise wait a couple of months for it to drop a bit. Really I'm enjoying it more than Shogun 2 or even Civ5. But I see the review bombing has begun, simply to review bomb.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Patch Friday
2. Re: Total War: ROME II Patch Friday Sep 5, 2013, 00:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Shogun2 had that same problem, and medieval 2. Seemed like it's optimized for localish networks, but anything else it bogged down. They did get it fixed in the first couple of patches.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Total War: ROME II
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Total War: ROME II Sep 3, 2013, 20:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 20:16:
So it sounds like the game is a bit of a pig to run and you really need a pretty decent rig to do it justice.
I've got a fx-6350 and 560ti. These are the benchmarks on high/extreme. I still haven't tweaked everything though.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175403620
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175403640

Big thing that I've found is water and shadows soak frames, and lots of units. Shogun2 had the same problem with units, especially unit cards.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 02:20 Mashiki Amiketo

.net_Drifter wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 01:26:
Side note: I hate Youtube's forced advertisement videos.
Adblock plus kills them dead.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November
7. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 23:32 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:17:

Ps.: NWN is still nice to play even now.... and so is BG2. Although I wouldn't play BG2 without some "ease of use" mods anymore... like removing locked chests and traps, everything Identified, stackable stuff... more carry weight, etc.
Ahh we're spoiled now. Makes me wonder how PE or PS:N are going to fair in some peoples minds if they have those in them.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2983 Comments. 150 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo