Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 3211 (Veteran)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
11. No subject Aug 17, 2014, 00:10 Mashiki Amiketo

Redmask wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 22:29:
I wouldn't go that far. Windows 8 boots slightly faster than Windows 7, almost imperceptibly so on an SSD. That is mainly due to the fact that Windows 8 doesn't actually do a hard reboot in many circumstances. It is not 'more compatible' than Windows 7 and is no more or less stable. Windows 8 is a slight improvement over Windows 7, so slight that many people would never know the difference. If you're building new then sure get Windows 8.1, not like you have a choice anymore. If you have Windows 7 don't bother with Windows 8, wait for 9.

There is just something amusing about supporting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but not Windows 8.

You mean going from ~15-30sec to ~6.5-9sec on exactly the same build, the whole difference being the OS is "slight?" It's not more compatible? You mean apps that would refuse to run under 7 even with excessive tinkering, but work fine under 8? It's not more stable, but that's why even under poorer hardware that was crash prone under 7, the same doesn't happen with 8? Sadly, most people who "don't know the difference" are the same people who "don't know how to look at things under the hood."

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. No subject Aug 16, 2014, 21:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Spies come from all stripes, from inside government agencies to people on the street. So, it will work against some...just not all. And anything you can do to increase the SNR, and slow down the "other guys" security apparatus is perfectly fine.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
9. No subject Aug 16, 2014, 20:32 Mashiki Amiketo

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:18:
You should just upgrade to Windows 7 instead.
Yeah, don't worry there bro. 8 and 8.1 are leagues ahead of 7 in terms of compatibility, stability and boot time. The only downside to it was metro, which is easily fixed.

saluk wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 16:10:
I haven't upgraded because the 2 times I have tried have left my system unbootable. 8.1 was rushed. I've never had as much trouble or gone through as many hoops trying to upgrade as I have with 8.1 - and that includes upgrading vista to windows 7 and upgrading windows 7 to 8 (on another machine).

So the "silliness" as you say isn't just partly on microsoft's fault. I lay all the blame there.
If you're getting an unbootable system under 8.1 then the problem is almost certainly on your end. And it will almost be laid right in the lap of a driver misbehaving. $20 says if you grab the straight 8.1 iso, and do a clean install it'll be just fine, and if that's the case then just migrate everything from 8 to 8.1 with the migration tool and go on your way.

Anyway, these drivers are actually much better than the previous RC's that were put out. Only downside is they have serious problems with flash+firefox and hardware acceleration on my rig, w/7950. Turning hardware acceleration off and everything is good. Otherwise I'm seeing bloody BSOD's with them.

edit: some type of clarity, pain killer induced writing is a pain.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2014, 21:46.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Trailers
26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2014, 19:58 Mashiki Amiketo

DangerDog wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 15:32:
Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 10:54:
Please don't pull a Ubisoft and the final game looks only half as good as this...

It does look too good to be true, what's the budget for this game anyway?
Depends on the site you're looking at, but anywhere between 20-40m. The Witcher 2 was around ~10-15m if I remember right, USD of course. Though there's a blurb on CB that Witcher3 has only cost ~7m in expenses so far.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway
15. No subject Aug 14, 2014, 13:37 Mashiki Amiketo

Well 30 minutes played, enjoy it so far. It'll be nicer when some of the other stuff is fleshed out though.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date
8. No subject Aug 14, 2014, 13:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Lords of war bit was pretty good.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
7. No subject Aug 14, 2014, 11:31 Mashiki Amiketo

FF has been the only series that nearly tempted me into buying a console, I haven't disliked any of the series except XIII where everything seemed to be in a corridor, though I only got about half-way through it since I was using my sisters machine when I was out in Alberta. Though she loved it, as much as she loved the revamped III and re-releases of VII and VIII. She hadn't played either of those since their original release on the PC.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Trailers
3. No subject Aug 14, 2014, 11:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 10:54:
Please don't pull a Ubisoft and the final game looks only half as good as this...
I know you're cynical man, but has CDP ever done us wrong on their games? Faith, it's not needed in this case.

The Downwarren trailer was released as well. A HD copy can be downloaded here: http://bit.ly/1pNPhVR

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2014, 11:21.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Omerta: City of Gangsters - Gold Edition
3. No subject Aug 13, 2014, 20:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 19:31:
Too bad they half-assed this game or it could have been really good.
It's still good, I think I've got 25-30 hours into it. It's not brilliant by any stretch but it's "good enough" a solid 6-7(I'm of course using the old realistic rankings, not IGN "we got monies" 9/10's).

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > BioWare Announces Shadow Realms
45. No subject Aug 13, 2014, 19:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Sounds like ass, concept looks like ass, gameplay at this stage looks like ass(wee click fest). I get the feeling that this has been heavily influenced by the dumbnuts that did KoTOR.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > First Diablo III Paragon 1000 Livestream
15. No subject Aug 12, 2014, 14:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 14:01:
Really? I'm 250+ and didn't really think I had played THAT much. I only started 3 weeks prior to the expansion and haven't been in the game a month now... The first 100 really aren't much of a big deal.
I played myself out pretty hard when the RMAH was up across two accounts, so after that I didn't really want to play all that much. I just started a new game with a full quest reset though, so who knows maybe I'll start playing more. But I need to finish my skyrim run first, only 200 hours in on this playthrough so I figure another 250 and I'll finish.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > More King's Quest Details
4. No subject Aug 12, 2014, 14:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:52:
But will the game punish you with death for exploring the environment and then mock you?
Nope, because a lot of the "kids" today would throw a hissy fit.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > First Diablo III Paragon 1000 Livestream
9. No subject Aug 12, 2014, 13:11 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 12:26:
I'm not even paragon 100....
Same, I'm at 65 and I think I picked up 40-45 of those levels during the xp boost before the expansion launched.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer
8. No subject Aug 8, 2014, 22:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Hi-end PC experience? I think they mean mid-range 2010 since that's all it took to get "high quality graphics" from 4 years ago.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 05:50 Mashiki Amiketo

saluk wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 02:20:
Mistakes as bad as ME3 are on everyone. Nice to have a scapegoat I guess.
Correction: Mistakes are only on everyone, when everyone agrees to it. When the lead designer says: "this is good, we'll go with it." The mistake is clearly on them, and only them. That's the whole point behind a lead designer, to sort out the crap and make the best choices, not the expedient ones.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. No subject Aug 8, 2014, 00:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Icewind wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 23:10:

And was written by Jennifer Hepler, who complained that Casey wanted to, quote, "find her family and kill her"
Probably. Then again I never did hear that there were on-going investigations into that. There was a burp and then it just faded away...

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 23:01 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 21:04:
I wonder if his resignation letter was on red, blue or green paper.
I'm pretty sure it will also include liberal use of the "awesome button."

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Plans
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 20:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Frijoles wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 10:24:
I'm looking forward to seeing a 40-man Rag again. It'll remind me why I hated it so much. The Tarren Mill vs. Southshore sounds like a lot of fun though. Too bad it's only temporary. Was hoping they'd make it in to a BG like that one in Wrath. Wintergrasp?

I can already see chat flooded with "loot the fuckin' dogs!" and "stand on the surger." I enjoyed TM vs SS quite a bit, I wish they'd bring back classic AV instead of the rush fest that it is now.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2014, 10:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Farewell Studio Ghibli. How sad, maybe one day in the future someone will launch another studio that will be up to par.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. No subject Aug 4, 2014, 19:39 Mashiki Amiketo

UHD wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 12:33:
Does anyone ever part with IP? I'm being pretty lazy here and doing no research but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a rare white elk moment for any company to sell or let go of a franchise.
Sure, you just need to show up with a large pile of cash and watch the magic happen.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3211 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo