Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ NO-441628*Spam
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 2815 (Senior)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 19:33 Mashiki Amiketo

DrSquick wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 19:22:
Has anyone seen the expansion on sale anywhere? I wasn't a super hater of Diablo 3, I got a good 40+ hours of fun out of it, but I've heard the expansion does make things quite fun with the adventure maps. But I also can't justify spending $60 on it. Maybe $30ish... But has anyone seen it on sale anywhere?
Not sure where you live that it costs $60, but around here(north america) it's $40 which is pretty much the norm for an expansion these days.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2014, 16:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Well I know what's going to suck up my time tonight. Weighs in at 82.5MB for anyone curious.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Tropico 5 in May
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 20:12 Mashiki Amiketo

All hail El Presidente for life!  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 18:54 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 18:48:

I get migraine from cinema 3D as well.. in the end, for people like us a test-run in a store is the only way to make sure we are compatible with the tech. Your speculation is not unfunded but even your specific medical problem has a technological fix (eye tracking and adaptive lenses)
We'll have to see, that's the only way in the end. A store demo of it would help. But I don't see stores lining up for it, and I don't see Oculus lining up and shipping out demo units to people to try out and see if the tech will work for them either.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 18:03 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 16:34:

It wasn't possible to hold true back then because the technology flat out sucked. The first flying machines were terrible too but we stuck with it (no I am not comparing the usefulness of the two). Motion sickness is largely a tech issue being resolved right now. Niche is probably an accurate assessment but novelty is opinion. Everyone who has tried it has been utterly floored by it. Not in a "this is kinda fun" wiimote way but a "holy fucking shit this is awesome" way.
Be realistic, we've also been hearing about it with regards to 3D since the 50's too. And it comes back every 10 years, doesn't catch on, and dies a slow death. And I remember the helmets in the 90's people saying the same thing, and the 3D stuff with the two different types of glasses in the 80's both polarized, and lensed, and people saying the same thing.

But much like 3D, the VR helmets won't work well for those of us who have serious brain injuries, especially in the occipital lobe. And while I can see the stuff in 3D, 10mins tops and I either get a migraine, or I'm ready to vomit.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 16:07 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 14:20:

No that's just you VR with proper presence is an absolute game changing technological revolution. And 1 step of many to the holo deck.
I heard almost word-for-word that same sentence back in 1996 when I started working in IT. It didn't hold true then either, it's not true now. The biggest problem with VR headsets are the novelty effect and motion sickness.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 1
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 19:23 Mashiki Amiketo

bhcompy wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 17:09:
nin wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 09:44:
Wow, looks like /. isn't participating this year? A welcome change...

They would have been hung by their users again for wasting resources on shit when they're already wasting resources on the horrific beta website they're pushing users to
Probably has more to do with the fact that /. was bought out by a holding company. In turn they're trying not to piss off the users anymore than possible especially after the beta layout bit a month or so ago.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 1
9. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 1 Apr 1, 2014, 16:36 Mashiki Amiketo

The nice thing about a HDD crash on april 1st is that you miss all of this.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2014, 15:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Panickd wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 14:45:
I both dread and look forward to the day (in a perverse way) that the government allows the POTS lines to go dead and a major disaster happens. Since most cell towers require power to function and a surprising number of them do not have a whole lot in the way of backup power it'll be one of those days when lawmakers realize they've fucked up and blame it on the companies who wouldn't have done it had the lawmakers not approved it. Even cell towers that stay functional in such situations are easily overwhelmed by call volume especially in major metro areas.

Of course I am also waiting for the day a large coronal mass ejection hits the earth and devastates the power grid. I think even intact POTS lines would be out of commission in that case.
Regular POTS service requires power to operate as well, and neither do most banks have much in terms of backup power. Most cell towers are good for 48hrs, most POTS bank stations are good for 48hrs because they're all digital now. Almost everyone on POTS is FFTN, or to the remote which is also on a 48hr backup.

There are solutions like fast deployment towers for disasters, and so on. And there's also a few other interesting ones like backpack deployment kits that are coming on the market now. But in the end we're in the middle of a transition phase of technology where POTS is on the way out, but wireless "isn't quite good enough" for important and emergency communications. Out in Western Canada, besides the public links, the provincial governments have their own private links for emergencies that are on their own separate paths and away from the main public paths. Between earthquakes, fire, mudslides, and who knows what else, it's a smart idea. And that's on top of HAM operators who are a dime a dozen out there.

If a CME hits this rock, you're going to have a lot more to worry about besides just the grid anyway. Including most electronics...

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2014, 18:39 Mashiki Amiketo

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 16:51:
In America, it's PROFIT over CONSUMER SAFETY. In fact, in America, it's PROFIT UBER ALLES.

As the article states, banks make more money on a signature transaction than a PIN transaction. They don't want ANY of these security features added.
So what you're saying is that they make more money on signatures, even with the losses incurred through theft of CC's and fraud. Well, I'm obviously in the wrong business.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2014, 15:39 Mashiki Amiketo

Seriously? We've been on chipped cards for almost 8 years in Canada(that's not RFID). It's not a big deal.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
48. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 20:23 Mashiki Amiketo

Well it'll be a delayed deployment of VR now, until facebook dies and it's spunoff or the equipment portion gets out on the market again openly as a fire sale when FB is on it's last legs. There's enough of the new generation that find FB itself creepy or anything else that they refuse to use it at all.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 20:18 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 14:23:
I don't know, it seems like a good initiative considering how underrepresented women are in game development in general. I might agree if things were more fairly weighted already but they're not.
You want to fix it, you need to fix the "math and sciences" problem in highschool. Since that's where more girls stop caring about it and decide to do other things for some reason or another. I know that's where my sisters friends stopped, and she was a math wiz back having won enough "awards and prizes to build a life sized statue of herself" including the gauss, FCH, FGH, and Euclid math tests. And competing in provincial finals and finishing in the top 10. Back before they allowed calculators and all that fancy jazz, aka the 90's. I did the same tests back in the 90's, and was quite good at them myself. My math scores in school however were mediocre to poor, because I didn't find it challenging. Couldn't even be bothered to do my homework because it was that boring, much like the lessons. But these contests? Damned if they weren't fun, interesting, and challenging. I loved them.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 20:04 Mashiki Amiketo

I might have asked for this...  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 11:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 11:16:
I miss the big nerdfests like that. I can't remember the last time I was at a proper lan.
2003 in Indy was the last event for me but they still happen here in southern ontario run by computer shops quite often.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 11:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Awesome! We have gender segregation in development. Now all we need is some racism and the cycle will be complete.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2014, 22:57 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 21:08:
Can't even get into my account....awesome. Must be on it's knees....
You haven't had fun until the steam beta fucks up your account and you need to get them to unfuck it. In the year that I've had origin and been in the beta I've yet to have that happen...though I've probably jinxed it now.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Demo
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2014, 20:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 18:39:
Finding little reason to use anything other than the sword,
Ray

Same, but it is fun. And the humor is good.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Tropico 5 Trailer
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2014, 15:09 Mashiki Amiketo

Good to see the humor is still there.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Trailer
21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 15:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 13:11:
Impulse was a one-time serial number activation. That was all. Offline ever-after if desired. SteamDRM isn't and never will be until Valve goes shall we say, belly up...like Impulse did.
Odd. My laptop has had steam offline for 230 days, and I play games on there still without going "online."

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2815 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo