Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ NO-441628*Spam
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 2976 (Senior)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2014, 18:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Blue wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 18:41:
I do use a push mower. Had it for years. Never water the lawn, never fertilize it, never use pesticides. I don't think I have anything to be ashamed of for planting some grass seed.
One thing I've found especially where I live, is if I can't get grass to grow, I can get clover to grow. Usually a couple of years of clover and then digging it up and sticking in seed will be enough to get the grass to grow in bare areas. I'm in the same type of area as you are just across the lakes in southern ontario.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2014, 14:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Redmask wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 13:48:
My response is so what? I can think of a dozen stories where people had a gun and it did them no good in a home invasion. Literally anything and can will happen in the world, it doesn't make it the norm and doesn't mean you stock up on guns at opportunity after hearing about them. If owning a gun makes you feel safer then enjoy the illusion I guess but in many (if not most) situations it would not help you more than some money spent on a secure residence.
Your response is so what, my response is: It's better to be armed and not need it than to be unarmed and not have it. It's not the illusion of safety, it's the actual safety one has. The illusion of safety is believing that the police have a duty to respond when you pick up the phone and call, believing that they're "moments away" and "will be there to save you in time."

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Into the Black Apr 19, 2014, 12:09 Mashiki Amiketo

Redmask wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 23:19:
You don't need a gun to deal with burglars, they don't break into occupied homes. You need a gun to deal with a home invasion but those are often totally random and drug related. Having a dog and a big maglite is a much better bet for your safety in that situation than a gun anyway.
And yet they do break into occupied homes. I can think of a dozen cases off the top of my head here in my city(pop under 25k at the time) in the last decade where people had their homes broken into while they were at home, in the dead of night, while they were at home, and they had a dog. And the wife and daughter were assaulted.

jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 21:25:
So, no castle doctrine in Canada? Also, you REALLY do not want to implement Stand Your Ground laws. It's the worst idea ever.
No castle doctrine, and no stand your ground law. And really stand your ground isn't the worst idea ever. The worst idea ever is "surrender or flee." Followed by "no escalation of self-defense" which was on the books here until very recently. Meaning if you were defending yourself, and someone came at you with a knife, you couldn't use say a baseball bat to defend yourself. That would be "escalating" the situation.

Kosumo wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 08:51:
If you have an effective police force, whats wrong with the "surrender or flee" when it comes to some people stealing property.

If your police force is any good, most crime will be dealt with , just not always super fast.

While, to me, adding guns into anything makes it more dangerous for everyone involved.
We don't have an effective police force that's the thing. As people in the US who are 2nd amendment supporters like to say, when seconds count police are minutes away. Same holds true in Canada.

An example: In my home town we have a police force, if I go to the next nearest town, their police force is the OPP. Their average response time may be 30 seconds, it might be 5 hours. Which of course works really good if someone is in your house and you have no way to defend yourself right? Surrender or flee remember?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Into the Black Apr 18, 2014, 21:10 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 20:28:
And yet, we don't get to shoot criminals without getting in trouble. This country is still so bass ackwards in so many ways.
Well they did chance the self defense laws up here recently, so you can actually defend yourself instead of being stuck with the 16th century "surrender or flee" doctrine that our common law, laws were designed around. Give it another decade or so and we'll get there. Especially with cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Winnipeg starting to become like Chicago and Detroit of yesteryear.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: Into the Black Apr 18, 2014, 20:21 Mashiki Amiketo

While it's funny, in Canada it's actually a more serious crime to rob a house while occupied. 5+ years in prison. If it's done with a gun it's an automatic 10 years. Which is why criminals when they rob a house will actually go out of their way to make sure it's unoccupied.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam Guard Scam Warning
13. Re: Steam Guard Scam Warning Apr 17, 2014, 19:01 Mashiki Amiketo

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 12:20:
No kidding... Besides the fact that Valve wouldn't be calling it "downloading" when you're giving them a file from your computer, all you need to do is look at the address bar. No secure connection, AND it's mis-spelled. GG newbs.
I dunno. Maybe the guy who registered the address had realllllllly fat fingers, we're all neckbeards after all...virgin neckbeards...right? Who use sticks to type out letters on the keyboard. I mean who could miss the n, and double ii's?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Tropico 5 Limited Special Edition Announced; Steam Pre-Purchases Begin
1. No subject Apr 17, 2014, 18:53 Mashiki Amiketo

All hail El Presidente! As my first order of business, kill Juanito! Then execute the leader of the environmentalist movement for blockading my mines, and then leader of the communist faction for complaining about having too many shacks. Last but not least, kill Van Hoof.

Speaking of which:
Tropico5 for $38.99+Port Royal3 or Patrician IV
20% off GMG: O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2014, 20:40.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Heartbleed Warning
6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2014, 00:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 18:04:
And this is why I use a two garbage passwords for unimportant sites so I don't have to go around changing them all then this shit happens - which is like every fucking week now. And different much more secure ones for stuff like banking, etc.
At this point I've switched over to using lastpass for everything, too many sites with too many bloody esoteric requirements for passwords. Uppercharacter, lowercharacter, special letters, numbers, assprint, fingerprint, dna, bloodtype, etc.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
1. No subject Apr 15, 2014, 05:10 Mashiki Amiketo

Looks awesome without a doubt. Didn't back it, but I think this was the first KS I missed.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 02:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Domgrief wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 01:29:

I remember fighting with FMV decoders and Nvidia fixes to get FFVII running a while ago - I also sprung for the updated versions and am looking forward to some hassle-free nostalgia.
Yeah that was always a huge pain in the ass, gonna have to decide if I'll install Qhimm's stuff or not. It's been 4 or 5 years since I last played it, I'll see what it looks like later and go from there. The updates to backgrounds/characters/spell effects/etc that have been done by fans already is pretty good so we'll see.

If you're curious, look here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php#c7

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2014, 21:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Well finally broke down and rebought FFVII/VIII even though I own it on PC-CD, sadly the CD's are starting to get kinda worn and they're not getting picked up on readers very well anymore. And ripping/swapping them is just a pain in the ass.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Single-Player Hearthstone Plans
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2014, 19:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 10:03:
I wonder if there will be any interesting designs for Heigan. That guy could really throw a dance party!
Well played.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2014, 17:04 Mashiki Amiketo

Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 13:47:
lol Obama... there's really nothing left to say.
Sure there is...so many scandals, so little time...

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered CE Includes Light-up Ship
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2014, 17:03 Mashiki Amiketo

DangerDog wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 14:03:
I just want the game for like $20 or so.
That's reasonable in my book. But I'm guessing they'll go ape shit and charge like $40 for it, I'm just glad I've got my originals still.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. No subject Apr 9, 2014, 22:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Extra 4 years, people still throwing hissy fit over it. Big shock.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 19:14 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 15:29:
Indeed... but it's ARS... what do you expect?
Semi-quality content on occasion?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2014, 22:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Fantaz wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 13:54:
8GB of RAM?... but RAM is so expensive these days.
Really? You mean it's at the prices we saw during the 90's when 4MB was $500...damn...

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2014, 23:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 5, 2014, 20:33:
....yeah don't care.
Obviously you cared enough to make a comment in the topic though, so your care level must be exceptionally high.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 21:37 Mashiki Amiketo

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 21:33:
Unfortunately it seems to not be the case...

As has been the case with Diablo 3's other bonus XP weekends, the boost will only apply to PC and Mac players.
Though that came from a third party, can't get any info from Blizz site.
To be honest, I trust 3rd party sites on things like that as much as I trust a 3rd party site to tell me that fire is cold, and water is dry.

Anyway, I will say that for those that are sitting on the fence. RoS does add quite a bit of fun. Adventure mode is great, and nephelem rifts are a hell of a lot of fun.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 20:27 Mashiki Amiketo

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 20:13:
Hmmm, is this just for the PC and expansion pack or does the vanilla Diablo on the consoles get the bonus XP too? Back into GTA online lately but I could get into my second run thru Diablo for extra XP.
Going by their post, everyone who logs in get's 50% bonus XP for the weekend.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2976 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo