Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ NO-441628*Spam
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 2984 (Senior)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

News Comments > Uplay Patched
8. Re: nephthys210@gmail.com Jul 30, 2012, 21:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Don't install chrome, install chromium.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 30, 2012, 14:18 Mashiki Amiketo

Julio wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 06:22:
When there's a virtual monopoly on ISPs, there's no way they'll spend the money to improve the service.
Yeah, talk to the Liberals on that one and their desire to "protect canadian industry" sorry I mean "screw us all in the face" back when they imposed the business ownership rules. At least since I'm on teksavvy, I get the same speeds, 300GB/mo, and pay the same price as I would on rogers. If I blew through that I could get actual unlimited at 28/1 for less than what rogers charges for 28/1 with a 120gb(or is 150GB cap).

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
34. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 14:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Genesys wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 11:35:
I think SSDs without TRIM support are still an order of magnitude faster than any HDD. So it may wear out a year earlier than if you could use TRIM, but at $70 (and falling) for a 64gb drive, who's counting? It's almost as cheap as a tank of gas.
They sell drives without TRIM support? Hell my 3 year old OCZ vertex supports TRIM.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 30, 2012, 14:13 Mashiki Amiketo

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:57:
Open GL is far from dead and really could take over this DirectX crap.
OGL is dead in the water right now, there's no mainstream adaption for it. It's available, some companies use it. But right now, until developers get tired of taking the MS DX royalty fees out the ass, that won't change.

My other point, like this one on the drivers stand as well.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 29, 2012, 21:22 Mashiki Amiketo

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:59:
LOL, goggle is showing them something they don't want to see.
Maybe they can show rogers and bell up here in Canada how to do it too. And we can get off 1999 technology.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jul 29, 2012, 21:16 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:27:
Question:
If Linux is saying 'Fuck you!' to Nvidia due to bad drivers, why would I want to go to a brand spanking new OS, with bad driver support?
Linux isn't. Torvalds is throwing his usual hissy fit over it like usual. And it isn't any worse or any better than ATI, so where does that leave linux in the end? Not much of anywhere really. Though it does appear that both nvidia and ati were listening to the complaints over what he had to say.

The real problem with linux, is the support between the driver and the api. Wine does this pretty well, though native support for games would work better, valve does seem to be committed to it. Especially since they're working to port all of their games natively.

bhcompy wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 20:07:
Steam on Linux isn't a hedge against Windows 8. It's the next logical progression from converting their engine to OpenGL for Mac and PS3. Why not add other platforms that support OpenGL and promote cross OS play when you have that capability already?
Chances are they won't have to hedge against windows 8. It'll be dead in the water as an OS, failing worse than vista. And getting developers to play nice back on OGL again is like pulling teeth, because as one of my buddies put it: "It's so fucking political, that even the politicians that run it, aren't sure if their heads are in their assholes, or if their assholes are their heads." It'll happen eventually, since the fiasco of OGL3, the bickering has gotten less, and all that. But until they can get more people back on board from the 1.1/2.0 days, OGL is dead in the water still.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 16:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah they're calling for the same here. We're sitting at 60-80% under normal, I was out talking with a buddy who was doing maintenance on his field pumps. Next year he's going with an underground feeder system, but he's dug a 3rd and 4th pond just incase, as he likes to put it. Better to be paranoid and prepared than not. On the upside, his soy and corn are going to sell very well.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 16:27 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:44:
Freezer trick works great, whether they like it or not. Got 10 gig of data back for a programmer that way years ago...
That trick works because it's usually a crack in the PCB or a crack in a joint somewhere on the guts inside. And it can still sometimes work on modern ones. Heck even the swap PCB trick will work. But head crashes? Nah. Best advice? Backup, even after the flooding in Asia HDD's are cheap enough you should have at least a few drives to back up important stuff on.

As for the other story: Does it make sense to buy a desktop PC? The answer it of course yes. A laptop still won't cut it for gaming. It's close right now, but the gap will swing back out once the next generation of consoles come out to widen it again. People especially writers seem to forget that consoles have been holding back gaming on the PC for the last decade.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 28, 2012, 17:00 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 16:27:
According to some guys on the forum, both the new power-sets just really aren't very great, and they're underpowered. So you can choose to transform into a vampire lord, and then be half as powerful as you are as your normal character. So why do it?

A lot of RPGs suffer from that, sadly...

Creston
If that's the case, unlike consoles on the PC we can just mod it. Which more than likely will happen in about 8 seconds after release.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 28, 2012, 15:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Fion wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 14:07:
I'm not really very interested in Dawnguard after all the xbox reviews calling it boring and mediocre.
I trust xbox reviews as much as I trust people reviewing vanilla ice cream. These are the same people that think that QTE's are innovative and fun.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
43. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 09:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 09:04:
If Steam, no sale.
Yep. Still can't figure out all the steam hate.

But not putting this through steam is just a bad idea, limiting sales options is a bad idea. You'd think, if you're in the business of making money you'd try to sell it though as many points as possible, but hey what do I know?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 00:34 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:54:
I still remember all those CRPGs backwards and forwards. I cherish the memories but have little desire to play them again. Bring on the new CRPGs! Onwards and upwards! Excelsior!
The problem is the current generation of gamers have the attention span of fruit flies. Or perhaps fruit flies mating, the chances of seeing new good CRPGs like BG/BG2/PS:T/IWD/IWD2 are very slim.

Though in realms of 3d stuff? At least some of the current crop isn't bad.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 20:51 Mashiki Amiketo

The Beregost bug isn't actually a bug, it's a type of test. Just to see how dedicated to playing the game you truly are.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
27. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 15:05 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 11:41:

Looks like the Distant Stars mod has some lag optimization in it. Pretty much the same as the other one I used for Diplomacy, cuts down on Fighters/Mines/Trade ships. Looks like the Sins Optimization project that was available for the older versions (then dropped when the devs implemented the community fixes in a patch) is making a comeback for Rebellion too but I don't think it's ready yet.
Cool thanks man.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2012, 12:30 Mashiki Amiketo

You might have some seriously strong incoming t-storms there Blue. We got them last night, knocked out the power here in southern ontario in a few spots. But they're still arguing whether or not if it'll turn into a full blow derecho.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
81. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 20:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:46:
People defending Windows ME, I've truly seen everything now.
Further proof that WinME users had their brains dipped in chocolate.

But Win7? Yeah, great OS. Probably the best since Win2000. I'm still running my original install from release, and it's been through a full mobo, cpu, gpu upgrade as well.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
11. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:39 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:37:
I honestly forget which one I used, and I uninstalled Diplomacy to make room for Rebellion so I don't have it anymore. If I recall it made all fighters auto-dock when no enemies were in the gravity well so the system isn't constantly processing those. It also reduced the mine limit and made each one stronger to compensate, again to track less objects. I think those two were pretty big FPS killers when the quantities are high end-game.
If you happen to remember which it was, post it I'd be interested. I haven't had time to play, but always nice to know what mods to look at for the future.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > WoW Mists of Pandaria in September
18. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:31 Mashiki Amiketo

deqer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:13:
But is GW2 truly F2P?
That's the hook. It's actually pay to win.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
7. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jul 24, 2012, 00:35 Mashiki Amiketo

People like dungeon crawling(ie sewer crawling). Which FO3 had a lot of, NV didn't have much of that. I admit I liked that too, but there wasn't a lot of it in NV. Though as Chris Avellone said on the topic, there's alot of places in the US southwest for the next installment, and even more that people haven't considered. I'd really love to see them do something in the Boneyard(LA), or heck even New Reno. Or both, there's really no shortage of material.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
5. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jul 24, 2012, 00:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Rea1One wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 23:26:
Im the opposite, I enjoyed Bethesda's Fallout 3 a lot more then Obsidian's Fallout NV.

Therefore im excited Bethesda is currently working on Fallout 4 and not Obsidian.
Blasphemy. Let me guess, you enjoyed the TV miniseries of Dune over the actual books too?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2984 Comments. 150 pages. Viewing page 54.
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo