Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 3107 (Veteran)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
6. Re: Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal Sep 26, 2012, 15:22 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 15:16:
It does, but anytime the goal is vastly exceeded and additional goals get tacked on, it can push that back a bit.
I'd almost expect it to be pushed back at this point considering the amount of extra stuff that we're going to see now. Which is perfectly a-okay by me! Though considering how successful this has been as a kickstarter, I wonder how much more in sales it's going to have. And whether we'll see a boom in 2d isometric games.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 26, 2012, 00:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 20:00:
... and things like paying for channels ala carte and real competition are somehow bad for us.
Man you haven't seen anything until you've lived in Canada. $150 would be a steal.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo
20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo Sep 24, 2012, 14:04 Mashiki Amiketo

Alright that was damn fun. Preordered, and I was worried that it was going to suck. There's some wonkiness to the camera controls being too fast turning. But it's fun, without a doubt, and feels like xcom too.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 23, 2012, 13:56 Mashiki Amiketo

Ehhhhyyyy...
We promise to honors the DNT. Let us show you ads...
*9mo later...*
Fuck you and your DNT, we won't honor it anyway.

And this is part of the reason why people use adblockers. The other part is a pure security issue.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Project Eternity Using Unity
4. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 16:13 Mashiki Amiketo

LC wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 16:00:
I really wish them luck but I can't help having doubts. Seems to me like they're promising an awful lot. But hopefully I've just become cynical and jaded and they really do pull it off.
Much easier to pull off a project when you have private backers, and not a publisher breathing down your neck.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam EU Legal Conflict
32. Re: Steam EU Legal Conflict Sep 22, 2012, 12:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 12:08:
That would be why in the last year or so they've started popping up the EULA prompt even when you add a game to steam, such as in the case you describe of buying it elsewhere then putting the serial into your account. So, your argument is moot.
I seem to remember something from the SSA thread, that the EULA that was being popped up was the old agreement, not the new one.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam EU Legal Conflict
29. Re: Steam EU Legal Conflict Sep 21, 2012, 19:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:01:
I have several friends who've moved to Europe and love it. I'm contemplating it myself. North America is locked into a downward spiral.
Meh. Europe sucks, at least from both of my cousins point of view. One cousin was endlessly harassed and stalked, then finally assaulted in broad daylight by the "unnamed group of minorities of the day who don't want to be offended" while the police ignored it, she's still living in Oslo, and moves every 3-4 weeks as she can. She's stuck in a work contract for another 3 months then getting the hell out of Norway. She can't afford to pay the quit clause. My other cousin lived in Germany, and is now in Switzerland, took her nearly 5 years to get her citizenship there and even now she's considering moving again.

Myself I've been considering Singapore off and on again for a few years. Though Japan will have a booming job market in a few years, the real question is how much of a pain in the ass is it going to be for some people. Singapore is easy, for english speakers though it's already a recognized and official language there, along with 3 others.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 19:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Windows 9 is what will kill Win7/8. Just like how Win95 killed Win3.1, it's the architecture transition.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > BioWare Founders Retire
1. Re: BioWare Founders Retire Sep 18, 2012, 18:52 Mashiki Amiketo

And this is the death of Bioware as it stands, watch for an exodus of people now to other companies in the next 6mo to 18mo.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
72. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 04:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Jivaro wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 19:40:
If there are, I am convinced that none of them actually make decisions or have any input. Given DA2 and SWTOR, it is kinda hard to imagine otherwise.
The guys who post here are dev.team members, while I know they're not part of the DA/TOR team, they are part of BW proper still. So with any luck, maybe, just maybe one of them will pass something along.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam Top 10
48. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 18, 2012, 04:50 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:14:
Two weeks with Skyrim out of the top 10.
To be honest, that's a pretty long run for a game though. Damn near a year in the top 10? Gotta be a record.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Project Eternity Hitting Stretch Goals
12. Re: Project Eternity Hitting Stretch Goals Sep 17, 2012, 23:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 22:32:
Hell, I hope they do another Kickstarter with a second team to create a post apocalyptic title that plays like the original Fallout (I & II). That would be amazing!
Holy shit, take my money! Well if this one is a success, and it's an even larger success once it hits the retail market you can bet they'll give it a go.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Anno 2070 Patch
2. Re: Anno 2070 Patch Sep 17, 2012, 20:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Eh I've got a coupon for 50% off on this, still not sure if I should buy it. Opinions?  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

66. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 19:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Well it also didn't help that they pissed all over the mod community with DA2 and no mod tools. So, don't expect anything special on that either. I know that there are guys from Bioware reading this thread, so feel free to pass that along.

Maybe you could take a page out oh...I don't know, Bethesda and Obsidian's playbook on that one.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
32. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 14:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Bhruic wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 04:27:
And yet, sadly, they are still better than Bell. It's one of the problems of going with a 3rd party, things are fine as long as nothing goes wrong, but as soon as something does, it's an uphill battle vs companies who have no real desire to be helpful.
I don't know about that. They're both pretty fucked up. Bell for example will pull line cards, and walk away. Rogers will simply disconnect customers. The real problem is that the CRTC rules have 0 bite for when they do this. What needs to happen is our MP's need to craft a new law or force the CRTC to change them.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

33. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 14:13 Mashiki Amiketo

avianflu wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 14:01:
Upon release, DA3 will get "10 out of 10" type reviews from all of the major review websites.

Well let's be honest. If you've been holding in your shit for the last 363 miles, even the washroom in the back of the tiny little gas station that hasn't been cleaned in 83 years, covered in who-knows-of-what-of-everything 4" deep with who knows what insects running up and down the walls. Will at least get a 9/10. DA2 managed to achieve a technical score on this alone.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 02:41 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 23:11:
You are in Canada? That is WAY better pricing than I can get here in Minneapolis.....they did recently recind their cap at Comcast, but they still monitor everyone....
Yeah. Though up until 2 years ago, before it was available. The best I could get was cable@6/1, with a 60GB cap where they'd charge me 44.95/mo with a premium rate of $2.50/GB to a max of $50/mo.

Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 23:35:
Honestly I need to switch to Teksavvy. It's very easy for me to exceed 120GB a month, and during E3 time with lots of game videos on Youtube, I'm just not allowed to watch half of them with risk of going over. The issue is that ISPs get consumers stuck into using their e-mails, and it's very hard for me to move because I do all my e-mailing on my ISP's e-mail service.
It'll take you about 4 minutes to do it, if they have it in your area. If you're renting a modem from rogers, order a new one from teksavvy and overlap your service by two weeks. I was one of the first people in my area to switch over and that's what I did. Make sure when you switch you have them roll a truck and have them slap a TPIA tag(Third Party Internet Access) on your box outside. Rogers likes to "disconnect" customers like that. Though technically it's not illegal to reconnect yourself, it is illegal for them to tamper with your service by doing it. Good luck catching them doing it though, and not playing dumb.

Rogers system is a mess on TPIA shit.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 19:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 16:29:
Oh please. I've been with my provider for almost 10 years www.aei.ca and they have never had caps. There are many other providers out there who are the same. You simply need to get off your ass and shop around.
There's plenty of places in Canada where you can't get an ISP without cap's still. About half of the prairies and maritimes is like that, a third of Quebec. About 20% of Ontario(no DSLAM or leasing agreements with Cable Co's), and so on. Which leaves you to be served by ... Bell, Rogers, Telus, or one or two others who hold a monopoly position.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 14:36 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 12:43:
I would be hesitant to call it a human rights violation, but caps anywhere are fucking stupid.

Laws in Canaada are somewhat different than those in the US. In Canada S.2b of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms says:
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

This is of course overridden by S.1 of the charter, but there's been no arguments based on this, in court or parliament it has gone to committee and senate arguments though. And so far, the current government has gone as far as to threaten the governing body in charge(CRTC) with taking them back to parliament and redefining their mandate if they don't get their act together the last time they were screwing around with the arbitrarily low caps up here for 3rd party ISPs who lease connections from other ISPs(like Bell, Rogers, Cogeco and Telus). What they wanted was GAS(DSL) customers to pay about 7 times as much as their own customers, about $90/mo for 50GB, while their own customers pay $40/mo for 60GB. And rogers was trying to pull the same on the Cable side.

And when it did happen, the CRTC changed their tune quick. There are options for the most part, in most of Canada. And most people now have options to find 3rd party ISP's who are cheaper and have better services. The reality is though, Canada is so fucked up, so screwed up with our industry rules that I'm pretty sure we're going to have to make the broadband infrastructure a crown corporation(like some provinces do for telephone and insurance--because the industry has screwed everyone over). It's not a bad idea, it does work in several countries, especially if it's hands-off by the government and ISP's do the maintenance and keep the technology current.

The only other option is to change the foreign ownership rules that have been in play for decades and that may be coming with the Wind-Telus-Bell-Rogers fiasco in the cellphone market right now. After Telus and Bell screamed that Wind Mobile was "too foreign owned" thus not Canadian enough. But apparently both Bell and Telus have more than 56% foreign ownership.

Anyway, the way it stands for Cable/DSL is all over the place here. But I'm on Teksavvy paying $49/mo with tax on my own modem for 300GB/mo@25/1 while rogers charges $49/mo for 25/1 with a 70GB cap. If paid an extra $8 bucks I could get unlimited.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
97. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 Mashiki Amiketo

John wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 12:46:
They don't have to ask for that much, they'll probably get over that much by the time it's over!
91k needed to reach their goal, so getting more than they need seems to be a pretty high chance.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3107 Comments. 156 pages. Viewing page 54.
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo