Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 3269 (Veteran)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2013, 00:37 Mashiki Amiketo

Cliffski discovers the skinner box.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2013, 15:36 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 15:23:
Also, bad news for cheese lovers.
They'll recover, it happens occasionally that a dairy or cheese maker gets hit by something like this. Bright Cheese House runs along the same lines as they do and recovered from a similar incident, their manufacturing house was burned down to nothing, and recovered just fine.

Oh and let me say...the snow we got, since it's still snowing here in the SWON--just shy of 10" without blowing, probably closer to 18" here in spots with the drifts. Non-official EC reports give ~8" @ 8am, so probably closer to the offical numbers but we'll see.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2013, 15:58.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Launch Events Detailed
1. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Launch Events Detailed Feb 4, 2013, 23:19 Mashiki Amiketo

What? No Canada launch events...you suck blizz.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Super Sunday Metaverse
25. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 16:15 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 14:20:
Start8 fixes a few things but not all. You need the 8 Gadget Pack to restore desktop gadgets, and if you dislike "ribbons" you need another utility to restore the windows 7 interface in explorer. There are a few other things but they're pretty minor. And yes people miss aero glass, not everyone likes the minimalist Windows 95 approach of 8.

So yes if you install a few mods you can get an uglier, slightly faster Windows 7. Assuming MS doesn't disable these mods with a patch again.
You mean the gadgets that keep getting disabled due to security issues? And that the majority of people don't use. Odd I've yet to use the ribbon, but that's probably because I've been using nothing but keyboard shortcuts for the last 12 years.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 13:38 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:37:

Classic shell doesn't fix everything.
No but start8 does. And really I can't find a difference between Win7 or Win8 with it. Unless you've got a real hardon over aero, which I hated anyway.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 05:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Axis wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:56:
1. Windows 8 is garbage.
2. Classic shell and familiarity makes windows 8 suck less, but still sucks.
So, if you're using classic shell or start8. Which makes Win8 pretty much the same as Win7, are you saying that Win7 also sucks?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam in Hot Water in the EU?
22. Re: Steam in Hot Water in the EU? Feb 2, 2013, 05:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 00:25:
By "pretty sure" I mean that I haven't bothered to look at all the countries outside of the one I live in. EU is a mix of country and EU laws. If YOU want to research it for other countries feel free.

One of the ones I have heard about is germany. I've heard that in germany, it could potentially be if its agreed to before purchase. Steam asks you to agree before purchase.
Then it's always a good thing that you should probably look up the case law before opening your mouth isn't it? Otherwise you wouldn't know what you're talking about, much like you have in all of your previous posts including this one. Or how the harmonization of laws and regulations across the EU impacts this, though interpretation of said regulations and laws at a country level differ based on each countries own case laws and precedents.

So, regardless of whether or not steam "asking" you anything. A "click through" is not considered anymore valid than "shrink wrap". Another reason why steam had to setup a satellite in the EU,and another in Estonia.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Steam in Hot Water in the EU? Feb 1, 2013, 23:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 22:17:
Pretty sure they are. And even when specific pieces are found that aren't binding or violating the law, the EULA says the rest of it is.
If by "pretty sure they are" you mean in the US then that's about it. For everywhere else, then no. Because EULA's fall into contract law, and for contract law to apply various provisions of the said law have to be equal to both parties. If the contract is unfair to one side then the entire contract is considered void. The EU in itself is more stringent on this than Canada is.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Steam in Hot Water in the EU? Feb 1, 2013, 22:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 21:50:
Better check that EULA again.
EULA's aren't binding in most places.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image?
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 1, 2013, 13:52 Mashiki Amiketo

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:38:
They'll do anything to keep my computer moving at 15FPS! lol
Hey now, that 1 year old PC just won't cut it anymore.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 31, 2013, 20:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Considering the absolute shit I saw on cable when I was traveling through the US the last three weeks? I'm surprised that people still have cable.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales Jan 28, 2013, 11:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Quinn wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 04:16:
I think that term is "so 2009", by now. I think Dawnguard and Dragonborn are expansions just as well as Tribunal and Bloodmoon were..?
I'd agree with that. I got around 6 and 8 hours out of both of those. And got around 6hrs out of Dawnguard. If they labeled them as expansions though they'd probably get double the sales.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
16. Re: bye bye windows Jan 27, 2013, 21:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:47:
yeh we are all gonna play our PC games on linux machines from now on.. its the future!

or macs.. also the future!
If developers got their heads out of their ass and started going back to OGL that really wouldn't be a problem. Until that changes, well DX is where it's at still.

Well the steambox might help on that guess we'll see.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales
7. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales Jan 27, 2013, 21:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 19:05:
How does Skyrim DLC work? Is it like Fallout: New Vegas, where you continue with the same character? Do you need a high level character?
Yep you can continue with the same character. At the very worst in some cases there is a min. level cap like with dawnguard which required you to be level 10 or 13 I think. Otherwise everything levels up along with you, so it can be as difficult or as easy as anything else.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2013, 14:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:41:
Research is great, but they're not looking for facts - they're looking for scape goats.

I thought we were over this already.
Sorry man nope, it's the days of rock n' roll and D&D all over again.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 14:42 Mashiki Amiketo

I'm damned happy I missed that cold snap, I left for Florida a few days before it hit and hit every damn storm from southern Ohio to northern Georgia. Including the 3" of sleet and freezing rain in Tennessee.

But with any luck some of that warm will be coming back up with me next week.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2013, 12:59 Mashiki Amiketo

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:31:
Im pretty sure he is talking about not being afraid to accept that research has shown that video games have nothing to do with violent gun crimes....
I wouldn't be against this, if they were also including movies and news. This is so one sided that you can smell the bias.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Patched
2. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Patched Jan 15, 2013, 16:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:16:
Whew no infestor nerf yet.
That comes out after HoTS.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
67. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 16:14 Mashiki Amiketo

sauron wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 11:40:
The regular police in the UK (the world's first police force, founded by Sir Robert Peel in 1829) have never been armed, by design. Their only armed units are anti-terrorist and SWAT teams. Have you ever read any history? It appears not.

And no, I'm not just following the narrative and am well aware of the specifications of the weapons in question.

And the founding document has nothing to do with it. Last refuge of the NRA apologist.
Right. For someone who says "have you ever read any history" you'd best go back and read history, british police were armed several times. And continue to be so to this day outside of anti terrorist units and swat teams.

And if you're following the "specifications" then you know that there is no such thing as an assault weapon outside of what's been created by talking points.

That founding document has plenty to do with it, perhaps you should jump back oh..what was it 1909 I believe was the case. And "read some history" before you claim that someone is a NRA apologist.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 11:21 Mashiki Amiketo

sauron wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 09:58:

In both the UK and Australia, strict gun controls were put in place following early occurrences of mass killings involving assault weapons. As a result, similar events have not occurred since. The US has not done the same, and so these horrible crimes keep happening.

Not true. In the UK mass killings happened again afterwords, and they also disarmed the police. And while the guy wandered around shooting people, it took them several hours to finally subdue him. Australia wasn't so much a part of the studies I did a few years back, but I do remember a heavy correlation after the loss of firearms a serious rise in violent crime and violent B&E a trend which is still rising.

Then again, anyone who uses the catch phrase "assault weapon" is probably just following the narrative. Being realistic, the media have more to blame than guns(an inanimate object) or the NRA. The media are willing to run with it, give it publicly, splash the person all over the place and give them recognition and infamy(in the other persons mind fame). Besides, if you're going to blame the NRA for anything, then you'd best blame the ACLU for anything free speech related.

And you might as well just piss all over that founding document while you're at it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3269 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 53.
< Newer [ 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo