Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mark W. Farrell

Real Name Mark W. Farrell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname IAM->TheDoctor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Program in C, Basic, Assembler (micro and mini).
Q3, I live on CounterStrike.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 08:22
Total Comments 32 (Suspect)
User ID 2652

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 17:03 IAM->TheDoctor

Doesn't count as a grilling mishap. Was still in the house so it's a "food prep" mishap. Goes right along with missing steaks and smiling dogs.

Or in the case I last remember:
"Missing 5 pounds of lasagna and one smiling yellow Lab"

Poor thing was in agony.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2011, 17:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 04:40 IAM->TheDoctor

Lost my father in 2005. You know there's not much more to say.

Peace, Love and Hope for you and your family during these difficult times.

Mark
TheDoctor

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2009, 22:46 IAM->TheDoctor

Crap, what is this with monitors. My trusty Viewsonic VX922 up and died yesterday. When does the warranty expire? 3/6/09.

Can I find the receipt? No
Zip Zoom Fly sends me a PDF of the original invoice. (WooHoo!!!)

My dad had Gateway extended service when lightning struck his TV antenna. Took out the phones, the red gun on the TV, answering machine, modem, motherboard, hard drive, floppy drive and the monitor. We had a box delivered with a new motherboard, hard drive, floppy drive and modem in three days. The monitor came in 4 days. They said "dispose of the remains with care" because of the lead content. No questions - nothing...well, they even said "Thank you for having Gateway extended support. THAT was the Gateway of the good old days.

News Comments > Orson Scott Card Q&A
16. Re: Three Card Shuffle... Jun 17, 2007, 16:45 IAM->TheDoctor

Ha, little do you know. I've just read (this month) my first Goodkind book. He manages to steal from just about every author and then finds a way to blend them together into a somewhat readable story. I'm on Faith of the Fallen right now and yes, I have read better. I will complete the sequence.

I'm an old school SciFi reader for the most part. But the most amazing story I have every read was by Julian May - The Many Colored Land - series. It is only nine books long.
Favorite authors are: Gibson, Spinrad, Saberhagen, May, Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, Niven, Anderson, McCafrey, Norton, Ellison, Lovecraft, Dickson, Simak, Jordan, Eddings and Simmons - there are so many more to name. Dan Simmons is another of the best out there.

Peace - time to go enjoy Fathers Day.

14. Re: Three Card Shuffle...shots fired... Jun 17, 2007, 16:06 IAM->TheDoctor

You strike me to the core and I shall curl up and die.

"You don't need to go on a cordon bleu cookery course, open a restaurant and get a Michelin star before you can have an opinion on food." It does if you want anyone to take your critical comments(good or bad) seriously. Oh and PS the main character knows he is going to die at the beginning.

The things a writer (and reader) must armor themselves against are mostly critics and fools - and you are?

What you sound like is unmentionable in these forums.

Since we are in a mood today:
"I've become a born again reader though but I'm mainly re-reading books I read first as a teenager (probably says a lot about me)."

It does, but I will be kind. It's been 31 years since I've been a teenager. So, when youe'r not on a rampage venting on posters, what do (did) you read for pleasure?

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 16:30.

12. Three Card Shuffle... Jun 17, 2007, 15:05 IAM->TheDoctor

OK, he's not for everybody. But there are those that will not read Dune, Foundation, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc...

When was the last time any of you wrote ANYTHING worth reading - I mean for someone else? Obviously, you have NO IDEA what it takes to get a story published. You don't just write a bunch of crap down then take it to a printer - get real.

1.) If your agent doesn't like it, you rewrite it until he is comfortable sending it to the publisher.
2.) The Editor(s) must approve.
3.) Five rewrites and a half dozen levels of approval later, the story might be approved. (steps 4, 5, 6, 7)

So, now you have a book published and people are buying it like water in the desert. They want more and more. So you try to please, you try to hurry, you try to connect A to B.

I've just written my first complete short story (6500 words) to send to a publisher. The whole process of creating characters and having them live or die under you "pen" is...breathtaking. I had tears in my eyes after I killed off the main character.

I've started my second short story and have instead, found myself writing the first, second and third chapters of a book. I have no idea where any of this will go, but the joy of doing it and the (local) feedback on what has gone to paper has been humbling and worth every minute of my efforts.

If you have any ideas of what other people like to read, just try to do it yourself.

Be humbled...it doesn't hurt that much.
Mark

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. one-play-only... Oct 5, 2005, 04:25 IAM->TheDoctor

Wait for the next big bomb to drop.

Micro$oft did not invent this, or the concept. I just hope the person that did had the smarts to visit the USPO. Prior art does exist for the DVD, CD and the VHS market as well. I held the self erasing VHS in my hand while the guy (salesman) explained that this would be available for CD's and all other analog or digital media.

I predict that Micro$oft will one day claim that "all characters typed on a computer screen are owned by Micro$oft" forcing all of us to pay a "per-character royalty"...just you wait.

Before that one goes to "kort", expect them to make a claim on Air, Mouse, HTML, Keyboard, Computer and a whole bunch of other silly stuff.

"Computer?" you say...they tried to force the BIOS industries to do the same utter crap they did with the X-BOX. If the computer was sold as "Windows Compatible", they did not want it booting anything else – period. This is for real – not a conspiracy theory. They are getting whacked (have gotten whacked) in court for this. It had to do with the discounted price computer companies were selling bundled Operating System/Utilities packages for. They claimed that the software package was worth $500.00 USD and sold the computers for $888.00. Now, you have to guess at the parts cost because of bulk prices and OEM discounts. That package could not have cost any more than $50.00.

Imagine that, running Linux on your “Windows Only” computer would be breaking the law. Or, if you were to build your own computer, it would only run non-M$ software. If you booted an M$ product on it you would go to jail.

But I rant on...sorry.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 04:28.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. FBI pervs... Sep 26, 2005, 03:00 IAM->TheDoctor

You forgot to say "hard" at work.

60. No subject Jul 18, 2005, 03:01 IAM->TheDoctor

I hope you read this, because it has a little to do with silicon stupidity and programmer neglegence...

Back in the day, when CS was beta:
I bought a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card and had a heck of a time with the drivers. Creative caused the original problem by giving the wrong information to the BIOS manufacturers. BSOD - Squeal of Death - Smoke from computer and ears. Patch Patch Patch. The BSOD had nothing to do with the BIOS problem, it turns out that Creative Labs allowed the sound card driver to have an interupt level higher than the core system task. This is very bad and Micro$oft will have none of it.

About 4 BIOS updates, 5 Driver updates, 2 live patches to the PCI bus using WPCRedit - I still had problems. Most said Creative was the problem, others said that it was the motherboard ASUS A7V133 MB with AMD NB and VIA SB, some blamed AMD while other blamed poor poor Mr. Gates.

The problem got somewhat better - instead of a BSOD, I started to get the infinite sound loop. Every patch from M$, CL and ASUS BIOS update made it a little better.

Next computer ABIT KG7-RAID same NB and SB. Same problem with the infinite sound loop. So I bought an Audigy. I went a week without a problem, then it came back.

Next computer ABIT NF7-S NForce2 Ultra using the Soundstorm audio on the motherboard - guess what, same stupid problem.

I was at a local LAN party and won a Plantronics USB DSP-500 headset (CounterStrike branded). I started using this, because it was so damn cool and it worked like a dream. It was about a month later that I noticed that my system had not crashed. WOW I thought is was fixed - nope. Now I only get the crash about once a month, but I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill CS without having to reboot.

A suspicion has been growing because I observed this twice: I had the head phones off and heard my hard drive spin up and the loop until the hard drive went active. Twice I've seen this and it was the same exact stuttering loop. I also noticed that I get the loop when a one of these two conditions is going on:
I am next to a heavy textured wall reloading and I spin to look around.
OR
I am naded and I spin to shoot.

In both cases, that sound (reload or nade splode) is the infinite loop.

I know this is not 100% on your topic, it's just a similar nightmare.

I am in the works of building a new system:
Koolance EXOS 2 - CPU/VIDEO
...the stupid NForce3 chip is under the video card, no WC here...
Antec Super Lanboy case
Antec 550W True Control II
MSI NEO 2 Platinum Ultra
AMD 64 3500 Winchester core
Mushkin 1G PC3200 Level II Ultra 2-2-2-1 matched
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 256MB
(4) Hitachi 160G SATA drives prob in RAID 0+1

Have not powered it up yet for lack of time. Soon, very soon.

I wonder if I will have the same problem you are having or if this will have the same problem with the onboard sound or the USB DSP-500.

I can't say enough good things about this headset.

Oh, I bought my son an ATI 9800 Pro 128MB card and have had NOTHING but problems with the drivers from ATI @_#*@#*$@#*$@. Thank GOD for Omega Red. Three cheeres for this guy. ATI may have made "some" of the best hardware in the video card biz, but they can't program their way out of a paper bag. If parachutes used ATI drivers...

Mark Farrell - [cLeRkS]TheDoctor

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 03:10.

News Comments > Quickie Tech Bit
2. What a come back... Feb 10, 2004, 12:27 IAM->TheDoctor

This is the emergency tech bit network, now broadcasting to save the BlueTower's Commodore 64 mail server:

Wow a 64 bit Commodore computer -who would have thought that they were working all this time in secret, and no leaks!!!

I have to laugh, we still have a handfull of Commodore128's active at work doing simple test procedures.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 12:28.

21. Re: Brand babies Dec 29, 2003, 12:21 IAM->TheDoctor

It was on an old album:

Bill and his brother Russel were playing "Submarine" pretending to FIRE TORPEDOES when they flushed it. Somehow they flushed their mothers coat and caught hell for it. He is one of the few people that can make me hurt myself laughing.

16. Re: Brand babies Dec 28, 2003, 23:43 IAM->TheDoctor

Re: Bill Cosby - way too funny

hahahahahahhahhhha haahhahaa aha ahahahahahaahha haahaha haahahahha ha hahhahahahahahhha hahahahha

Remember the Toilet Submarine incident???

15. Stupid Computer Tricks... Dec 28, 2003, 23:36 IAM->TheDoctor

I agree with the other post that suggests getting some diagnostic software. The one and only Norton Disk Doctor (NDD) will probably fix this. I would not be surprised to find your FAT table corrupted in a way that drives CHKDSK crazy. It is a truely under powered utility hanging on from the "not so good ole DOS days" - in other words, a POS. The built in error checking util (Right Click C: -> Properties -> Tools) has always been the preferred tool - assuming you can get that far.

If this is FAT or FAT32 and you suspect that the primary boot sector is screwed, you can boot from a system floppy and run "FDISK /MBR" and it will copy the secondary boot sector on to the primary. This has saved many systems from a complete software rebuild.

NDD (trumpet fanfare and angelic praise - please) has always given the best bang-for-the-buck.

If it is a Western Digital drive, boot their floppy and run the read diagnostic. (Maxtor has the same stuff.) If it finds a damaged sector/track/cylinder, it will correct-or-move (patch) your data. I pull WD drives out of the trash at work and run their DIAG utility on it and get working drives. I usually don't use them myself, but 8 out of the last 10 drives were keepers. Some were intermittent boot failures.

When all is said and done: Check the serial number of the drive with the manufacturer - it might be under warranty. You pay shipping for a replacement drive of the same or larger size!!!

OMG I'm still typing (sorry).

39. Hapy Blueday =O Nov 21, 2003, 14:39 IAM->TheDoctor

LOL a scorpio.

My Dads is the 17th
My Moms is the 19th
Mine is the 24th

Now yours makes this a month to celebrate!!!

15. Dyson Telescope Sep 26, 2003, 13:04 IAM->TheDoctor

I am addicted...

This is so cool - the Grand Master levels are tough.
{Thank God there is no timer.)

153. No words...and remember... Sep 20, 2003, 03:43 IAM->TheDoctor

No words can ever heal the pain,
for your life will never be the same.
---
Look into your heart and remember the day,
when you said, hey Mom, I'm going away.

She always knew that it would be this way,
her child has grown and can not stay.

To watch her fledging young ones fly,
on new found wings, tears in her eye.

She sees the good things as mothers do,
when this time comes she believes in you.

You always new this time would come,
it doth come to us, each and every one.

To watch your beloved Mother fly,
on new found wings, tear in your eye.
---

Stephen,
We live in a house (upstairs) with my folks (downstairs) because my wife and my father decided that this would work out better. My wife has been taking care of my Mom for about ten years. Her medical problems include (but are not limited to):

Lupus
Fibromyalgia
Diabetes mellitus
Glaucoma
Rheumatoid Arthritis
And, to top it off, she is 76.

I know one day my Mom will find her wings, as did your Mother. The thought frightens me to tears.
---
I leave you now, with a final thought:

Remember and she will never really be gone.

In remberance of MammaBlue,
Mark W. Farrell and Family

501. Mothers Sep 19, 2003, 02:45 IAM->TheDoctor

Mothers are the font of life,
They heal your pains,
They deal with strife.

Our jobs (as offspring) so it would seem,
Is to learn from Mothers,
What love should mean.

Above all things that we can do,
Is share that love,
With folks like Blue.

He gives his all most every day,
Through good and bad,
Has lots to say.

We know he is a goodly son,
For taking time,
With every one.

We gladly offer this time we pray,
For we hear your sadness,
In what you say.

Know then, that we'll do our parts,
Your fears and grief,
Are in our hearts.

Our love and prayers go out to you,
Beloved Mother,
Of our Blue.

---

I AM just a simple man,
Whose words may wander,
Without a plan.

I hoped to offer strength today,
My words are often,
Gone astray.

Mark W. Farrell

151. Blues News must live... Aug 20, 2003, 03:37 IAM->TheDoctor

So, I log on to the Internet and (of course) my home page is the world famous "Blues News" not some skanking ATI web-site.

Sure, there is a moment of panic (seeing the URL say "takeover") and I want to press the power button on the vermin infested box in front of me...but I pause for a moment and think - I just updated my virus scanner and got the latest patch from M$oft.

Then I remember that M$oft ditched Nvidia and is now sleeping with Satan (oops, I meant to say ATI). So, for another brief moment I wonder, will all my web-journeys begin with M$oft sponsered advertisments (look up the French, advertisement means warning!!!)??? Is this the M$oft revenge for getting smacked in court (so many times)??? "Thou shalt observe My supporters and this patch makest sure"???

Ahhh, now it is clear to me! It must have something to do with the almighty dollar and Blue's continued desire to pay the electric/food/gas/medical/ISPconnect/Webhosting/vet/you-name-it bills, whilst trying to provide us (that is us plural you morons (that's plural too)) with information, entertainment, and a view of the world that is just a little Blue-er than the rest (thank God).

I had to make a choice, years back, to have Bjorns3D or BluesNews as my web page.

B3D had all my driver stuff (rember the Verite 220?) and some cool Norwegian food/family stuff.

BNews hit hard and fast and left me aching for the next edition. Every word was a treat and I hated getting to the end. There was always something that was 'just damn different' going on here.

You noobs complain about some advertisement making your life miserable? Why I remember the old days when I had to read BluesNews on a 28.8Kb connection BOTH WAYS. My computer blew up - as in bright flash from the PSU and smoke from everything except the memory and my elcheapo SCSI card. The drives/cpu/sound/vga - all had burned chips. It was two weeks before I could get on the Internet - and the first thing I did??? I read every back-page of BluesNews I could access.

============================================================

Blue - Do what ya gotta do...

To the other vermicious scumbags that aren't able to click the mouse button ONE-MORE-GOD-DAMN-TIME, are just unfit to be viewing this site in the first place...

In the words of Joe Walsh:
So What!

If you ignore them, they will go away.

Blue, we will always support you and spread the news. Speak the word and we will follow.

Mark W. Farrell
iam_the_doctor@sbcglobal.net (need to get that changed soon)

40. Re: FrontPage Jul 3, 2003, 03:07 IAM->TheDoctor

Try some of these
Search:
www.pricewatch.com (the best - learn this one)
www.pricegrabber.com
www.nexttag.com

Hardware:
www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
www.googlegear.com/
www.newegg.com/
www.heatsinkfactory.com/
www.ussa.com/
www.partspc.com/

Memory (go right to the company and save $$$)
www.mushkin.com/
www.corsairmicro.com/

Software
Norton System Works 2k3 Pro w/Ghost:
www.westgatemedia.com/products/norton_sw2k3.html
XP Pro sw/p1 (OEM):
www.spartantech.com/

Remember, check each place for each item you need.
For instance - www.ussa.com had the absolute best prices on CD/RW drives and more. They were great on the phone and right on time with shipping.

If shipping is free, then go with the cheapest place. If not, "Add to Cart" the cheapest/lightest items first. Why, because some shipping calculators give you a break for add-ons. Also, shipping may be free and watch the tax add on for some companies now. They are doing it because the courts say they can. I have been charged for out of state taxes already (once).

Good luck - I have built 11 computers from new parts and more than 20 from company discards and other sources. Gave many away to those who needed them. Sigh, those days are gone...

Mark

14. Memory Leak... Jul 2, 2003, 14:29 IAM->TheDoctor

Had the same problem. I had upgraded a working Win98 system to XP Pro and all was well. Everything Win95 on up worked as it had before - Office 97 Pro ran great. Then, I had a problem with a Micrsoft update that was a result of the update engine at their end (we are so sorry - but too bad for you). After it applied Win98 and WinME patches to XP Pro, things got pretty stickey.

Reformat and install XP Pro as a new installation - should work great - oops.

After installing Office 97 Pro: Excel, Powerpoint, MSPhotoEd, Frontpage, and everything else except MS Word worked as advertised. Open Word and press one key: then open the task manager and watch the memory get eaten alive.

512Mb in about 15 seconds. The cool part is that XP Pro caught the problem and shut down the offending program before it crashed the system. "Oddly" enough, MS said they had no intention of patching the problem (we are so sorry - but too bad for you)and you should purchase one of our new products that we clain no responsibility for lost time, money, cases of computer suicide, etc...

<Sigh> indeed...

32 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo