Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6561 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: GeForce GTX 480/470 launch Feb 23, 2010, 21:45 Ray Marden

Wow, nViDiA is still around? Who'da thunk it?

In all seriousness, I hope it's a nice card, but...it's been in development hell and some places have hinted at a fairly significant price.

At the very least, it should be quicker than what ATI has, but given how long it's been, I wonder how hard it would be for ATI to release a speed bump? I hope the NVIDIA card offers some new, neat GPU features, although no games will really utilize them in this generation...
And if this chip fails, it will be really bad for nvidia...
Really searching for any reason to give up the 5850 ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel
4. Re: Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel Feb 23, 2010, 18:27 Ray Marden

More power to them, but I have no intention of buying anything from the developer.

I liked the Jaguar game, but that is about it. It has a fairly consistent record of issues, mediocrity, generic design, etc. I don't think the current game is any different - yeah, they got a game out the door, but it is nowhere what it should be.
Judge Dredd anybody?
I don't want to "hate" on the developer, but I have given up on waiting for a strong, much less phenomenal, release. Even if you think AvP isan okay game, I can think of many, many other games I would rather buy than that.

Hoping they pull it off someday,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Interview
23. Re: Ubisoft DRM Interview Feb 21, 2010, 17:17 Ray Marden

And all these points speak to Ubi's complete avoidance of its negative actions.

Let's take AC2 on the PC for example...has the game been out for three months now? Okay, is the game at least out now? At least coming out this next week?

What? No? March!?!

Meanwhile, the pirates will be playing this game far earlier than I am and those that purchased it on the console are completely done with the game and are freely trading their used copies.
That "wait for the review" reply is fairly callous.
Not seeing any of this being a bonus for PC gaming,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC Reveal at GDC?
7. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Reveal at GDC? Feb 20, 2010, 22:04 Ray Marden

Does it really matter?

Besides my normal question of "worth" of these $5-$10 DLC items, how much do these small items actually improve ME? The game has a very limited story and world that BioWare has previously given to us.

Will one new character really impact that game? Will a new weapon really impact that game? A new armor piece?

I think DLC may have more to offer other games, but the limited story in ME (go get your pre-designated teammates so you can do the final battle) that I really wonder what they hope to achieve. Yeah, I might be open to some type of $20-$30 expansion idea, but that flies in the face of thiese piecemeal DCL items.

Honestly, other than them giving the ultimate middle finger to fans and releasing some giant planet scanning only DLC , I feel like I finished the ME2 story and that game has nothing else to offer. In that case, I again wonder how much better the game could have been if so much focus wasn't being placed on the DLC component...

Actually preferring the Mako compared to this crap scanning,
Ray And I hate that effing Mako.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Metro 2033 Gets Steamworks
11. Re: Metro 2033 Gets Steamworks Feb 20, 2010, 10:10 Ray Marden

I think it's cute that anybody at my computer can purchase any game at any time with my saved purchase information.....but that it endlessly requests I authenticate my age to look at screenshots of some crappy game.

The ability to share (or even transfer outright) non-active games and family purchase plans would be nice, too.
What's with all the stupid updates? Does it always require a restart?
Wishing the pre-loading was a bit more consistent, too,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
36. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 12:50 Ray Marden

Well, this is an unfortunate confirmation of what has previously been stated and/or hinted at.

This is one of the games I have been actively interested in and now they are telling me that I can only play it on the console at a lower resolution, with a gamepad, less overall customization/options, and at least a 20% higher price?

I wonder if Microsoft even remotely cares about PC gaming or views it as having any correlation to its operating system business? I am not particularly beholden to Apple or Microsoft; I will go with whomever gives me a good price/performance ratio, has a wide range of customizable hardware, and offers superior gaming. At least for my home computer, what else do I need all this new stuff for? I can certainly surf the web, send e-mails, and do the occasional text document on either platform.

I do want this game, but I would really prefer to play it on my PC. If I am going to be forced to play this on the 360, I certainly won't be playing it at full price. I may even be tempted to hunt down a used version simply to spite the developer and publisher.
And this game better have damn good reviews, else I'll skip it completely.
Wondering if Microsoft is aware my PC plays on my HDTV with a simple cable swap...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2
56. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 11, 2010, 12:20 Ray Marden

I will say some of the later levels are a bit stronger, but that simply begets questioning of the starting area design process.

It's certainly a unique shooter, but I would have liked for them to do more with the Bioshock world. Even accounting for the "twist" at the end, I did not really care about the main character in the game. Toss in the heavy focus on combat as well as the coplete removal of the stealth element, this game feels a bit crude in contrast with the original.

I think the little sisters took me out of the game, too. From having the set spawn triggers to limiting collection to two bodies per sister, it just felt like a forced mechanic.

I just got to the last level, completely to my surprise. I realized I was about to hit a significant story element, but I somehow felt that I had at least another third or so of the game to go instead of this final level. I'm not sure what my actual play time is, but I will say the story does not feel as meaningful. The moral choices are really based off of small, unrelated matters and I don't feel a real connection to the majority of the characters - they've just people trying to screw over each other.

As previously discusses, the Big Daddy and external location (water) elements are completely under-utilized.

I am definitely enjoying the game and I can give it an 85% or so, but with the disclaimer that this is the shooter version of Bioshock. Ultimately, the first half of the game feels like an expansion pack and the second half feels like an evolved portion of the shooter element. The first game doesn't really need a sequel, but even for making one, this still is not the route I would have gone...
It's a good game, just not the Bioshock game I wanted.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 11:02 Ray Marden

Not that I am admitting to owning it or anything...but this really does play like a brainless Bioshock. No intrigue, no mystery, no build up, nothing new - just kill, kill, kill!

Hopefully my mind changes later on, but this just plays like a pure shooter in the same art set as the previous game. It still makes this game a good shooter, but it just doesn't feel like much of a Bioshock game and still really think they went the wrong direction with this game.

Why not a wildly different, current version of that world? Why not a reason to come back to the city? Why not some crazy new game continuing from either ending?

Edit: This game is incredibly linear, too. I'm not saying the first game was necessarily open world, but most of a given area was closed with the exceptio of a small portion that was dedicated to a given quest. But now, you literally only have access to one small portion of the level at a time. Go down this hallway to get the item so you can go down that hallway. Once you have that hallway cleared, this next hallway will open up.
And yeah, don't buy this is you hate DRM. Securom is evil and GFWL is tedious.
Curious to see what its sales are like,
Ray

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 12:26.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Dragon Age: Origins Sales
11. Re: On Dragon Age: Origins Sales Feb 9, 2010, 07:09 Ray Marden

I really liked the game, but I still hope they expand the story a bit. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still feel like I did a quickie origin story, then I grabbed the required friendly factions, and did an end battle.

It's strange, too, because Mass Effect 2, though a different style of game, feels somewhat similar: find out why you're special, go grab your teammates, and then go kill the bad person.

I guess I just want to see more factions with competing interests and more ambiguous choices - the "good" and "bad" choices still seem really obvious in these games. Although I can understand the argument of them being pointless, I would like to see more quests unrelated to the main story line. It's a lot of the little things adding character to the game that flesh it out for me and make it seem more realistic and less linear/scripted.
Duncan had some impact, but I never felt a part of the Grey Wardens.
Having dealt with combat like I would in WOW (tank, healer, and rest as ranged,)
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2
21. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 8, 2010, 22:52 Ray Marden

But I actually played through the PC version and, if they fixed a few basic things (controls, camera,) this could be a really good game.

But now I'm being told the only way I'll be able to play the game is with a worse input method, lower resolution, and less options?

I'll be skipping this one in the end.
Have I mentioned that I hate EA?
Shaking my head,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2010, 12:54 Ray Marden

For myself, my gaming skills are always relevant to what I am actively playing and/or have interest in.

I am extremely familiar with a mouse and keyboard now and would utterly suck with a controller. But could I learn? Absolutely. I used to dominate in deathmatch using just a keyboard, but I haven't kept those skills honed and I would be happy to just stay alive if I was using only the keyboard today.

On a grander scope, I will say that my tastes are changing. I am still a FPS gamer at heart, but there needs to be a unique draw to it. I find the "Let's just run around shooting each other with guns!" mentality fairly repulsive these days, but I cannot deny my love for it in my earlier years. Now, though, I am (relatively) spreading out into a wider range of genres and styles and I do want more story, interaction, depth, uniqueness, follow through, etc. I have more money than any other point in my life, but I find myself to be much more discerning of a title's actual "worth" in my eyes.
I have a bigger grouping of items I think should be mandatory, too.
So glad those Bioshock 2 pre-loads are available...oh...wait...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > PC Mass Effect 2 Dual Core Fix
6. Re: PC Mass Effect 2 Dual Core Fix Feb 6, 2010, 15:06 Ray Marden

For the first hour or so of the game, I had very quick load times. However, I updated to the newer ATI drivers and I started having some significantly longer load times (30 seconds to a minute.)

I just assumed that was the issue. Either way, it's a bit reminiscent of DA, but has been tolerable.
Then again, nothing seems bad when compared to planet scanning.
Using an E8600 on Win7 x64 with 4GB of memory,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Metro 2033 Trailer
4. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer Feb 5, 2010, 16:46 Ray Marden

I am actually very interested in this game, but also extremely worried this will be another S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - from the generic pissed off russian guys killing mutated animals to endless bugs and broken gameplay.

A demo would be extremely nice (hint, hint) as I won't be touching it until I play that or it gets numerous, plentiful positive reviews.

If this is all corridors (Which I think it may be - isn't that part of the core story?,) it could get a bit repetitive.
Here's to hoping it's good, though.
Loving the idea of EO, but not sure I can find a game in it...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 4, 2010, 12:56 Ray Marden

I just played through the first game and, though it doesn't hold up as well the second time, I really enjoy the world.

I think it has a lot of potential if I could open up the world and make it a really dynamic settings, but I am still planning on getting this one even if it's under the guise of it being more expansion than evolution.
Too bad it all has to be cut up to fit on the consoles.
Wanting more than just guns and plasmids,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > AvP Demo Released Early
4. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 3, 2010, 21:30 Ray Marden

And....never mind.

I just sat looking for a quick match for about two minutes and nothing ever came up. I'm sure more people will be downloading it shortly or I can go tweak some options or blah blah blah.

I'll wait for the reviews, although I am not expecting much.
I'm so tired of crappy low framerate, low resolution cinematics on PC.
Wondering what the point of DLC for ME2 is given how short the story arc is,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > AvP Demo Released Early
2. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 3, 2010, 21:20 Ray Marden

I am semi-interested in this game, but definitely wanting to try out the demo. I really liked the Jaguar game and I thought the inital PC offering was okay, but this series tends to feel a bit cheap/rushed.
And it's had such smooth development cycles. <cough>
Loving, LOVING, LLLOOOOOOVVVIINNNNGGG the joy of planet scanning in ME2 Wall2 ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > DRM Discussion
22. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 13:22 Ray Marden

I really, really hate crappy DRM. There is nothing like spending $50 on a game and then having it tell you that your hardware is unsupported.

Having said that, pirating was around wwwaaaayyyy before DRM. I think, in general, a lot of people get away with whatever they think they can.

I do think piracy is a much bigger problem than DRM. I can only think of two or three times in my many years of gaming that DRM has literally stopped me from playing a game. In contrast, I think very few gamers, have never pirated. Mind you, I think it's a relatively small portion of this majority are "power" pirates nor do I think a single illegal download equals a lost sale.

Ultimately, I enjoy games and I think the market - the stupidity of publishers/developers and the lack of appreciation/respect of the gamers - are both hurting the market. I am fine authenticating my game installation so long as it is relatively painless and it actually authenticates my legitimate purchase of a game. However, from there, I do want to have control to uninstall the game as needed, to not spend more than 15 seconds authenticating each time I play the game, to not have constant surveillance of my system, etc.

I feel that I am in the minority, but I do believe pirating is hurting both game markets, but primarily affecting the PC market. Of course, I see an industry that is pushing a 20% price increase, shoveling out $5-$10 DLC content that is ready on day one, and a scaling back of depth/variety/length/options. Looking at these two scenarios, I think the piracy is the lesser of these two concerns.

For the DRM that "sucks," even from my developer-friendly perspective, I can completely understand why people take the pirating approach (though I still do not support this.) Why should the paying customer have to jump through so many hurtles, have his/her integrity questioned, or be denied access to what the pirate already has?

On an unrelated tangent, whatever happened to low level sharing of games? I am by far the obsessed gamer in the household, but my girlfriend enjoys playing games occasionally or for a few hours into each one. In very, very rare cases, I will purchase two copies of a game, but I would gladly look into some type of "household" option if any really existed ($5 second install, single player-only version, no dual-program executions, etc.) It's a little silly when we have two computers, but I have to go amuse myself elsewhere so she can sit and play at my computer.

Edit: Or what about sharing non-active digitally downloaded games? I have a casual gamer in the office that I would love to lend out some games to. If I can get him hooked , I know he won't buy a ton of games, but he will likely buy another 2-3 this year if he could see what is out there. However, I don't have that option.
The last game that screwed me was Hidden and Dangerous.
Dreaming, I know,
Ray

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 13:25.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 1, 2010, 17:51 Ray Marden

I think the idea is neat, but...not until it's at least twice as powerful, half the cost, supports a higher resolution, has the connectivity of a standard laptop, etc.

For the cost, I can build a very nice gaming system. For work purposes, it is very limited and I would be better off with a laptop. For media purposes, I have many other faster, more robust, larger, sharper, and better sounding options. Looking at portability, this won't hold up very well in a lot of situations (being dropped, going on a run, at various worksites, etc.)
And it isn't like you can just upgrade bits and pieces like a normal PC.
Sure, I'll buy this the day I can put my gaming PC into something the size of my 24" LCD, but I can definitely hold off for now.

Not quite sure what its niche is,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 a "Blockbuster"
18. Re: Mass Effect 2 a Jan 29, 2010, 20:19 Ray Marden

I have to reserve comment until I play more of the game. For me, it really shines in moments, but then is very ham-fisted or limited in many others.

It's definitely a good game, but I'm having a hard time calling it a RPG now. I guess that's my personal disappointment, too - if anything, I was expecting a ton more depth to the RPG aspects, but those are wholly marginalized.

As for the planet scanning, looking at it solely from a design perspective, I think it's a spectacularly blatant failure. Aside from how I read that scanning has no real harvesting purpose (everything I read talks about those not being hard to collect in the game,) I think it may be worse than the mako. Mind you, I hated that $%@#%$ Mako, but at least I had a gun, jets, direction, camera, and occasional combat sequences to deal with. But now? I just hold down a button and wiggle my mouse around - it just compounds its tediousness.
Viewing this as more of a shooter than RPG, I am less forgiving of the obtuse cover system.
Tempted to update, but having stuck with my character's ME1 look,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers
3. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:32 Ray Marden

Guys, STOP IT.

Didn't you read? Bringing multiplayer was a daunting task and there was no support for it in the original game!

I mean...it's not like this is a sequel with a pre-existing game engine, world, enemies, combat style, and art style!

And the first game was a single-player game so it made sense to put a heavy focus on multi-player anyway!

Wait...no it doesn't. Uh oh!
Mass Effect 2 does come off as a bit stupid.
Wondering if multiplayer will be the death of Bioshock,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6561 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo