Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6561 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Metro 2033
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Metro 2033 Mar 16, 2010, 12:46 Ray Marden

NewEgg had it for $36.00 earlier so I bit - it will be delivered today, but I likely won't be able to play it until tomorrow (apartment complexes with front offices that close at 5PM = win!)

Besides the price point, this seems to be getting a good word of mouth. It appears to be a fairly linear, scripted shooter, but I am still interested in the overall setting, especially if it adds some type of point/focus to the game and isn't a buggy mess like that other game is.

Any performance charts out yet? I know it's supposed to look very good and make use of PC hardware, but that is often code for "10% visually improved, 300% slower!"
If not, I'll just play AC2 and think of nin!
Curious to see how it plays,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands DLC Retail Pack Next Month
5. Re: Borderlands DLC Retail Pack Next Month Mar 15, 2010, 20:43 Ray Marden

Well, I enjoyed the game in a mentally-limited linear shooter sense, but I don't see what the point of the DLC is for this specific game. This isn't a deep game with a deep story. In fact, you're actively enouraged to just play the same content over and over and over and over and over.

I guess the DLC offers a handful of newer stuff to play over and over and over and over and over again, but that's not enough to make me buy this.

The only thing I would be interested in bank/storage, but I'm not going to pay for something that should have been in the game in the first place.
Try to be a little bit more blatant with the DLC cash grab, please???
Gee, I have a limited inventory, but here is a gun I can use in five more levels? Uhhhhhhh.....

Unable to recall the last time I launched the game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 15, 2010, 17:06 Ray Marden

I don't think I have many options, unless there is some combo pack I haven't yet seen.

I can get the standard edition of the core game fairly cheap, but her savegame is based off of my CE version (so it has Shale as well as all the various other little items.)

I've seen the core game for $30, but even if we did forego all the CE stuff, I don't think I've seen the expansion discounted below $35.00. For all the things she'd lose, even for a cumulative total of $65, I just don't see it being worthwhile.
In that sense, it's almost a good thing she plays to few games.
Wanting some cheese with my whine,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 15, 2010, 12:54 Ray Marden

I am actually buying it, but more because my significant other loves DA than anything else. I am interested in it, too, but:

• I have some issues with DA's story and I am hesitant about a $40 expansion that may just be equivalent to one of the faction romps from the first game.

• I may or may not have AC2 to play on the PC <cough>, I have FFXIII to play, Metro 2033 has already shipped, and I have other games I can go back to and finish off.

• I can think of a handful of games that are entering the discount phase that I might consider purchasing now.

• There are handful of other games coming out in the next few few weeks as well.

• Going back to my comment, I wish DA would discount itself a bit more consistently. I originally only purchased a single copy of the game, but it's to the point where it would be beneficial to have two copies of it. However, the cost of another collector's addition plus this new expansion is $100. Given the current circumstance, I would actually be willing to pay half of that rate today - and I would be willing to do some type of authentication so they could see the second copy is never leaving our IP address - but no way am I going to otherwise pay that amount. (Yes, I realize the standard addition is currently ~$45 and even spiked momentarily to lower levels.)

If anything, I do miss the days of multiple installs to say nothing of the share-less world that digital content has given us.
    I'd mention GOWIII, but Bayonetta seems to be much more fun.
    Realizing my request is likely a fairly infrequent one,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
    4. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2010, 16:39 Ray Marden

I love the lack of respect for any/all alternate opinions. Why is it never considered that maybe, just maybe, the community has an idea of what would be fun? Why is it never considered that maybe, just maybe, the community isn't against change, but it simply wants to make sure the "good" parts of a franshise aren't lost?

And the solution is to...be quiet and just wait/hope? That's a completely ignorant approach. Additionally, I would argue it's this kind of hateful self righteousness that causes most of the issues.

I think it's great with there is discusison or critique of game elements, but when it boils down to "STUF I KNOW BETTER THAN ALL U TARDS LOLOLLOL" we aren't going to get anything positive.
    Then again, I guess I need to STFU.
    Wishing games evolved rather than drastically rebooting with each release,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments
    32. Re: NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments Mar 13, 2010, 12:10 Ray Marden

Physics, by itself, isn't the most amazing thing out there. It will definitely improve games, but it isn't one of the things I am just dying to have in my games.

I find it far more interesting in regards to what it means GPUs are becoming (CPUs) and the eventual death of GPUs as we know them.
    Metro 2033 on Tuesday. I hope it doesn't suck.
    Wishing FFXIII didn't have to bash you over the head with its linearity,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2010, 22:40 Ray Marden

The scary thing is that a 5850 is not even a bleeding edge card these days. Crossfire 5870s? Umm...yeah...but no thanks.

Mind you, some retailers charge for them like they are , but if you can get lucky, these are a total steal when you find one at the original $270.00 price tag.

I suspect NVIDIA will screw this up somehow, but if nothing else, I hope it helps push some prices down in the next few weeks.
    Watch it be a $400 piece turd that's only ~20% faster.
    Having to thank Dell for mine,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments
    3. Re: NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments Mar 12, 2010, 22:22 Ray Marden

Well, isn't physics one of NvIdIa'S big pushes right now? Calculations 'R Us on the GPU? And ATI is just crying foul because this is the one aspect it's ignored quite a bit.

If anything, I expect we'll be hearing even more about things like physics and other non-graphics items in two weeks...

Curious what the performance to price ratio will be,
    Ray And ATI is fail if it doesn't have an immediate speed bump to push.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II In February 2011?
    28. Re: El Cid uses Fire Horn Mar 12, 2010, 20:50 Ray Marden

I like DA more for not being more of the fail that was NWN. DA is at least more game then engine.

But overall, no, I wasn't blown away by the game. I definitely enjoyed it and I am flabbergasted that it got my girlfriend to play a full story, but I still felt it was too easy to spot the limited game design mechanics.

Playing nearly the exact same game, albeit with only a single "origin" story, and just calling it Mass Effect 2 didn't help things.

To me, DA is still that "game," but I am waiting for something I can call an "experience" or something that I feel real, true, deep connection to. For me, I'd be willing to take some flaws in a game if something could make me feel that way.
    The origins were a bit weak and I'd rather have a better, deeper core game.
    Saddened, too, that I did all the combat like a WOW raid ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > On BioShock 2 DLC's Tiny Download
    21. Re: On BioShock 2 DLC's Tiny Download Mar 12, 2010, 20:34 Ray Marden

Let's say a game has 10 levels.

Are all the levels completed at the very same, exact, identical time? Is the eeennntttiirreee release hinging on that exact second? Or might some of this material be finished sooner than the rest?

Do I have to buy the game and only get the single level that was finished first, regardles sof placement in the story, and pay $5-$10 DLC charges for the other 9 levels?

With all the crap we get, especially on the PC side of things, I wish nothing but the worst for these developers. Over time, the gaming markets are increasing, yet this has only spawned a whopping 20% increase in average price coupled with a heave emphasis on paid DLC. To say nothing of the pre-release or day one DLC...

I don't think the gaming industry is all wine and roses, but neither do I think the main issues are needing double digit price increases coupled with DLC spam. After all, this is the industry that still cannot make a game without forcing people to work 6-7 days in a week for 12+ hours a day.

Who has all the money? Oh look, I just found the real problems...
    What - WHAT - does my purchase entitle me to? I can't even play offline.
    Lamenting the death of expansions,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Paid DLC Next Month
    22. Re: Mass Effect 2 Paid DLC Next Month Mar 12, 2010, 13:52 Ray Marden

Will it have the visual quality of the average theatrical release? Will it have equivalent staging and atmosphere? When I pay for the game, will I be given a rental of a high end machine with a multi-story monitor and matching surround sound? Will it have the depth, cohesion, and pacing of the theatrical release? Will it have the same emotional impact? Will I feel that I have experienced something profound or thrilling?

I could go on, but you get the point. Is game pricing based solely on length now?
    If anything, your reply is typical of what's wrong with the industry.
    Wondering what books and music would have to say...,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Paid DLC Next Month
    1. Re: Mass Effect 2 Paid DLC Next Month Mar 11, 2010, 19:47 Ray Marden

Why? What does this have to offer the game? Isn't this too late?

This game could definitely do with a wide range of tweaks (to say nothing of a deep story,) but a 1.5 hour long DLC isn't the way to go.
    And if 1.5 hours is the estimate, does that really mean 45 minutes?
    Thinking this shouldn't cost more than $1,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2010, 19:10 Ray Marden

Define PC. Shifty

What can I say? With regards to the game, I bought it on sale for $45 and all the reviews were going on about how much better this one was. As for the DRM, I admit this method is draconian, but I have yet to meet a fellow PC gamer that doesn't pirate. I am often mocked for my anti-pirating stance and, though I dispute the general industry numbers, I do believe that moce PC gamers are a bit loose with their morales.

But even in my case of wanting to buy the game, maybe the core content portion of the game is a lot better, the initial PC unverified home game unit version did a miraculous job at making me simply not give a sh*t about this game:

• I did have an issue with the initial activation. After coming back from getting some food, nothing had changed. I tried to move the window and got the typical "This program is not responding..." message. Only after waiting another few minutes did it go through.

• Even with what I said above, it is annoying authenticating every time I play and every time I exit (to say nothing of the program that stays open the whole time.)

• Not that the first game was deep, but at least it could play the intrigue angle. Now you're just a dude who is getting let out by your little assasin girlfriend.

• Hey, look! You're escaping from this huge organization...and all you need to do to escape is go down an elevator, run through some cubicles, and jump in a car trunk.

• Kudos on the poor animation/modeling/design. Here hand is going through her arm, the models don't line up here, this guys finger tips are coming through the glass door, etc. Seriously, if you won't even bother to make the first two minutes of your game look good, why bother?

• Hey look, we just drove to the dorm without any issues. Again, that's all it took to escape???

• F*ck I feel old. I'm the teenager that will rule the world! And here is my hip assassin girlfriend with the hip tech girl with the hip (yet snooty) librarian. BUT WE'RE SO HIP WE'LL SAVE THE WORLD!

• Fight the guards? ATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACK. But wait, now I'm stupid Ezio - how will I ever take out this group? ATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACK. No skill here - just click away like mad.

• You know I'm cool because I banged the girl. Awwww yeah!

• Not that this was ever a "deep" series, but everything just feels so much easier now. Coupled with my already feeling stupid simply by playing this game, the lack of a challenge or threat doesn't help at all.

• No doubt I'm being a hateful jerk , but I feel myself becoming stupid playing this game. And all my bitterness aside, this game easily has the worst mouse controls of any game I have played in the last year.

Mind you, I am extremely finicky about my mouses. I still use a corded mouse because I am unhappy with the lack of precision wireless mice offer. I abhor mouse acceleration and smoothing. I set my mouse sensitivity near the maximum setting and I can access every part of my screen moving my mouse no more than an inch.

Yet these morons decided they needed to implement the worst mouse acceleration they could ever think of. I move my mouse less than an inch and I can cover my entire desktop. Whereas, in this crap game, at "normal" mouse movement speeds, I have to pick up and re-position my mouse a good three to four times just to get my stupid character to turn around. In contrast, thrust the mouse 1/2 of an inch and I pull of a 720 around my character.

Ultimately, the only challenge in this game is just getting the f*ck*ng camera where I want it to be. And yes, I fully conceede that I am rather insane with my beliefs regarding mouse control , but it just endlessly amazes me that so many developers give so little thought to the control, much less all the smaller items.

Given the DRM issues...given that Ubi thinks this is a $60 game...given that the console version is going for $40 new...given that we waited an extra four months...and given all the small flaws I noticed within a minute of playing, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I expect most others will have a much better reception to the came than my cantankerous soul ever will Furious2 , but I am horribly, horribly unimpressed with this turd.
    Frans, I'm tired of putting spaces after emoticons...
    I bought the first game for $20 and somehow I think I would have been better of waiting until this game was $20, too.

Thinking I'll likely be playing FFXIII instead (JRPG flaws be damned,)
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2010, 12:47 Ray Marden

FYI - I am losing my "Thread View" when reading multiple threads under the General Discussion.

I'm not sure what part is causing it, but I can reproduce it by reading any post, clikign on the General Discussion link above the post, and then selecting a new thread with multiple posts. Of course, those boards are dead so it really isn't a huge issue.
    And suggestions are ignored/disregarded.
    Horribly unimpressed with Assassin's Creed II,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 17:54 Ray Marden

From the trailer alone, I would give it to Hurt Locker. Having actually watched the move on Blu-Ray now, even with this making me go to hell, I feel the film has some main flaw that Avatar does of "I've seen this movie before."

It's still a damn good movie, but it didn't strike me with any type of profound message as it was a combination of various other films I've seen, even if just bits and pieces from various other films. War is bad? War is cruel? War changes people? Innocent people get hurt? It takes a certain type? America has a fascination with war? The current Iraq/Afghanistan wars are convoluted in many ways? I've been there and done that.

Stepping back and removing the "originality" columns from both films, I actually do find myself leaning towards Avatar being a better film for what it achieves on a cumulative basis (story, fantasy, 3D effects, etc.) In a lot of ways, I think Hurt Locker maintains a more even line whereas Avatar has lower lows, but higher highs.

From there, I just think of what film surprised me more or pushed more boundaries and I find myself settling on Avatar. I fully conceed it has flaws and it most definitely is not a film for everybody, but I feel it did more. Of course, I am heavily biased by my preconceptions - I expected a bit more from The Hurt Locker when initially sold on its trailier and I was pleasantly surprised that Avatar played significantly better than the trailiers implied it would.

Even with the above, I am fine with The Hurt Locker winning, but I think it really speaks to what somebody is looking for. I think that film was very good and signifanctly more consistent on a technical basis. Other than lacking in argument or emotion, I cannot list any significant flaws with the film. Lastly, I seem to be completely dismissing the decade long development of Avatar coupled with its gigantic budget. The whole "comparison" may be invalid solely due to this aspect.

I would only personally give the nod to Avatar because it pushed more boundaries, offered up more new ideas, and showed me a world that I found to be much more new and unique.
    And no doubt it speaks to each person's personal beliefs, too.
    Wondering how this same market ever spawned the Transformer movies ,
    Ray

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2010, 19:36.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

11. Re: Futurama Mar 5, 2010, 12:47 Ray Marden

As I recall, the cast replacement was a short lived financial stunt. Shortly after announcing the possible replacement, it was announced that the dispute had been settled and the original cast would be returning.

Mind you, there might be one person that didn't come back, but most/all of the original cast should be back.

Too lazy to Google a link,
    Ray Lazy like using Google as a verb...

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch
    4. Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 3, 2010, 21:52 Ray Marden

I don't think the original U.S. date of 03/16/10 is even accurate either - various sites are listing 03/09/10 (Amazon, LameStop, etc.)

One or two sites even list earlier U.S. dates, though none are from sites which normally have correct information.

As for the DRM, I sincerely hope it is cracked.
    Waiting + paying more + having more hassle = ZOMG INSTANT SALE! Not.
    Definitely not paying $60 for this super late console port,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
    15. DRM? Feb 26, 2010, 23:02 Ray Marden

Dont' forget the $60 price for these PC titles, too...

I actually want to buy AC2, but I love how new copies of the console versions, releases that came out months ago, can be purchased for $35. But yeah, let me wait all this extra time and pay $60 for the PC version I wanted.

Or not.

Having no intention of buying any of these at that price,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Metro 2033 Specs
    10. Re: Metro 2033 Specs Feb 25, 2010, 17:43 Ray Marden

It's $37 (including free 3-day shipping) over at Newegg.

I am very interested in this game, but I hope it is not another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. I would really love a demo, but more than anthing I hope this isn't full of bugs, broken quests, terrible AI, imbalanced quests, quirky mechanics, etc.
    If it is, I hope the developer burns in hell.
    Hoping it doesn't feel too confined, too,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Valve on Valve Time
    7. Re: Valve on Valve Time Feb 24, 2010, 17:53 Ray Marden

And don't forget how they aren't late because, even though they blatantly ignore their older task, they can be pretty quick on their current fixation...
    And if he's so godly, why doesn't he whip out HL3:Ep3 in the next month?
    Blank

Loving how well those three episodice parts of HL3 are turning out...,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

6561 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 34.
    < Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo