Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released
31. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released Apr 30, 2010, 23:00 Ray Marden

This program is utter crap on my Win 7x64 system.

If I attempt to select an installation path other than the default one, the program just hangs. Only when I let it use the default path does it load after about two minutes of loading data in a painfully slow manner.

I wanted to play MW4 again, but this crappy system is just making me hate all things Mektek now.
And even more pauses if I try to save any settings. THANKS. SO. MUCH.
Thanks for nothing,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space 2 "Dementia" Trailer
6. Re: Dead Space 2 Apr 29, 2010, 18:43 Ray Marden

I don't recall if we got "official" confirmation, but I know the PC pre-order listing has lasted quite a bit so that's a good sign.

As for the trailier....I think it is okay. It doesn't look bad, but I get the feeling they're doing for a "more of the same" action push and focusing less on some of the other aspects (story, different setting, planet interaction, etc.)

Give me a PC version, don't jack up the price, and FIX THE DAMN MOUSE CONTROLS and I would be fairly interested.
Pathetically, I think I was expecting a bit more having watched the movie.
Having a hard time seeing Isaac with jet boosters,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Black Market Aerial Pack Released
7. Re: Just Cause 2 Black Market Aerial Pack Released Apr 29, 2010, 18:24 Ray Marden

At least it isn't $10, but I almost wonder what the point is of DLC for a game like JC2. Doesn't the whole game kind of beat the player over the head with the open world aspect and plethora of weapons/vehicles?

Cheap bastard me keeps watching this game's price. I know it's been as low as $35, but I still won't buy it until it's at least $30.
Sorry, Creston. I have other stuff to play and this seems fun, but basic.
Willing to pay less than that, too ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Apr 29, 2010, 12:51 Ray Marden

It's a bit generic and by the numbers.

It is certainly competent, but it does not really do anything special.
A bit goofy, too.
Guessing it is a slightly better than average Raven game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Singularity Trailer
4. Re: Singularity Trailer Apr 29, 2010, 12:43 Ray Marden

Also, this is, what, two months away? It just seems peculiar that so little information has been given out about this title.

I had previously thought Wolfenstein was their contract game so they could push out Singularity, but now I'm a bit more hestitant. In a lot of ways, this is looking more and more like Wolfenstein, just with the likely suspect time element.

If these really do end up being similar, I'd rather go with the version of the game that has been out a bit longer and that is cheaper.
And I don't really want to buy Wolfenstein.
Starting to think I will have better things to play than this,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 28, 2010, 13:12 Ray Marden

Eh, it's the Wii, but actually fairl responsive. Well, at least the Sony version is because it gives you buttons, but it's all hand gestures with Microsoft.

On one hand, I think realistic interaction beneifts some games - "I" can do it quicker/better than some poorly controlled, animation-limited geometrical construct can. On the other hand, games have a lot of tedious aspects (can you imagine having to bend over for every herb in some RPG?,) it's nice to chill out on a couch or chair from time to time, and often I play games to get away from reality.

I think an "all of the above" approach is good, but some of the price gouging needs to stop (make monty on good games, not plastic peripherals) and a tunnel vision-like focus on direct 1:1 hand motion control is going to create a lot of bad games.
Hype =/= great FPS.
Hating Halo,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Patch: Steam Conversion Available
6. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patch: Steam Conversion Available Apr 28, 2010, 13:02 Ray Marden

I wish they would learn to have Steam update in the background and not require a restart for every minute change.

I don't actually leave the program running on my system, only launching it once or twice a day as needed, and I've lost track of how many times I've had to restart with no apparent difference. Then there is the fun five second wait while it loads up the advertisements that I am already looking at in the main client's screen.

Hopefully this is all resolved in the "new" Steam, but it has so bombarded me with pointless updates that I just expect endless restarts now.
It's a decent digital platform, but it clunkiness is painfully obvious.
Bemused by the placeholder file references, too,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Plans
6. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Plans Apr 27, 2010, 18:18 Ray Marden

Well, at least we know why they focused on adding a MP component to Bioshock 2 now.

Nice way to kill the franchise. Nice way to gouge the end user.
And can you imagine how bad this will be in an "up" economy?
Glad that DLC has turned out to be so worthwhile,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2010, 12:52 Ray Marden

Too bad a lot of retailers are pushing $30.00+ prices on Blu-Rays.

Too bad a number of retailers relegate Blu-Ray to one or two aisles whereas DVDs have up to ten times the amount of floor space.

Too bad DVDs are routinely sold in the $10-$15 range and older DVDs are sold in the $5-$10 range while the Blu-Rays strongly resist discounting at the retail level.

Too bad Blu-Rays make up a small portion of one corner of the local Blockbuster store.

Too bad these companies think giving me the inferior DVD and/or digital versions are a selling point when I am looking for a quality Blu-Ray.

Too bad the few DVD-to-Blu upgrade programs that exist are extremely limited in their selection and are not worth the cost relative to what you can find online.

Too bad Neflix both charges more for Blu-Ray rentals and is also a bit skimpy with what titles they offer both versions of.

I love Blu-Rays and refuse to buy anything else in the lower resolution DVD format, but I find it very hard - for obvious reasons - to sell other people on Blu-Rays when they see what the retail environment is like. Even for my own purchases, I primarily wait for specific dicounts and generally purchase online.

There's nothing like seeing an "As advertised" sticker on a single Blu-Ray for $35.00 when I have personally purchased - new - the trilogy/series for the same or lower price online.

I really feel these companies are missing the obvious and the cable companies are about to swoop in and kill off everything with combination VOD/DVR services.

Clearly a fool,
Ray Quite clearly.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 24, 2010, 22:17 Ray Marden

Aye, tis a dumb argument to make at the moment.

What were people with 3D TVs to buy? The version that doesn't exist? The inferior DVD?

On a larger note, what 3D are people watching? If I had a 3D TV today, I wouldn't have any 3D movies to play. My Blu-Ray player isn't (currently?) 3D compatible. My joke cable service doesn't carry the two 3D stations. I certainly don't have any 3D games.

And as always, that's to say nothing of price. 3D Television is my most expensive upgrade option of my current 120hz HDTV. For a relatively low price, I can purchase a larger LCD HDTV and look at the 240hz units. If I spend a good deal more, I can look at the superior picture quality of the LED screens. Only if I am willing to spend the most do 3D televisions comes into play.
I'd take this Blu-Ray over the 3D movie. But I'd kill for equal quality 3D.
Not entirely happy with some of the sharpness that is lost when going 3D,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 23, 2010, 22:51 Ray Marden

Typical low budget, rush for the movie release fare.

It isn't a terrible game, but it certainly isn't an AAA game. Even for $15, you can get better stuff on sale or a couple of titles from GOG.
Functional, but nothing special.
Sadly owning the PS3 version (under protest,)
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Lawsuit Dropped
15. Re: Fallout MMOG Lawsuit Dropped Apr 22, 2010, 19:35 Ray Marden

For all of the insults thrown at it, WoW is still heavily focused on maximizing one's e-peen. With the invention of the damned gearscore mod, all that matters now is how much you can inflate that number. Who cares who you are, how good of a player you may be, what your enchants are, what your gems are, if you actually do more damage with lower score gear? You are nothing but a number.

Back to WoW itself, I have a real love-hate relationship with it. It's horribly addictive. It's pointless. It brings out the worst in people. It has horrendous customer support. But in contrast, it offers more than just killing each other over and over with guns. It always gives you something to do. It resets that gear every so often, giving everybody a chance, not just the oldest players or those who spend the most on ebay. It now has multiple levels of challenges. It has steadily improved player accessibility.

I could go on and on, but for all the games I have played, it's still the one that appeals the most to me. It's a heavily flawed game - in fact it really isn't much of a game, but a constant gear hunt with a crudely shoved in PvP component and these are all devoid of any real story or connection of any sort. But for all its faults, some of these other games are so painfully basic or missing so many of the basic details that it's a no brainer that WoW is as successful as it is.

I like WoW, but I don't love it. But compared to all the other stuff out there, nothing has yet managed to make me completely stop.

I've always wondered about that, too. I realize some of the smaller companies just don't have the budget to competed, but it's amazed me that the bigger companies have so utterly failed at WoW. These other companies can't even manage to copy it properly, much less "cheat" by simply offering something further along the evolutionary chain. I've seen other companies try to take on WoW over a single item, but nothing really comprehensive.

Although Blizzard has definitely tweaked the game a million times over (often to much chagrin,) there are certain things they just can't do because the game was never built with a given mechanic/item/feature in mind. I'd love for the market to surprise me one day and I do have some small hope for SW:TOR, but I'm almost to the point of thinking only Blizzard's next MMOG will offer any serious competition to WoW.
F*ck those forums, though. F*ck every Blizzard "Blue."
Ranting away,
Ray

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2010, 21:23.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Lawsuit Dropped
12. Re: Fallout MMOG Lawsuit Dropped Apr 22, 2010, 18:31 Ray Marden

Boo hoo to Bethesda, though.

What, they don't want anybody potentially changing, altering, or tarnishing Fallout? Kind of the way they did by making it a FPS?

And they signed the agreement with the tools over at Interplay so it isn't like they didn't know.

I fully concede anything this company with the Interplay name does is basically going to fail, but this was never the way for Bethesday to go about it.
You can't always have your cake and eat it, too.
Noting the terrible MMOG will make the SP games seem a lot better,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Metaverse
6. Re: Metaverse Apr 21, 2010, 13:06 Ray Marden

I'm a gamer and nothing - nothing - has ever killed my system the way numerous browser windows with simultaneous (to say nothing of multiple) Shockwave/Flash/Javascrip/demons/whatever programs running on them.

Even Crysis fears web ads.
I love that Blue's is showing me flower advertisements. I so want those. Not.
Particularly loving the ones that SCREAM through my speakers and headphones ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2010, 12:58 Ray Marden

Kasumi.

$7.00.

35 minutes of play time (that includes scanning all planets to depleted.)
And BioWare has HHUUUGGEEE balls for toss in more of the crap planet scanning.
And this was a price BioWare came to after long internal discussions?

Fail. Utter fail. Total fail. Complete fail. Pure fail. Fail, fail, fail.

On a (slightly) more serious note, developers and publishers alike have completely dropped the ball on DLC. I fully concede they are making short-term profits, but they're really gutting the core game in the process. I think gaming is a medium with profound potential, but a lot of the changes that have occurred recently are moving away from that potential and focusing more turning games into packaged commodities.

Finding the Hammerhead pointless and utterly detesting planet scanning,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 20, 2010, 12:39 Ray Marden

I'm still struggling to see why there is so much publicity over a phone.

I can see some of the nerd tech sites showing interest, but coverage on the news channels is a bit silly.

Who'da thunk a phone company would be working on new products?
Are we that obsessed with being "hip" these days?
ZOMGWTFBBQ!!11111oneoneone,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
80. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 18, 2010, 23:27 Ray Marden

In summary, you were being hateful and cynical of Blue's? See, that kind of breaks apart your integrity...

Back to demos, I keep thinking about the various things I buy and so many of them have much more appealing incentives to use and buy them: trials, options to return for various reasons, significantly lower cost of entry, robust alternative methods of delivery, federal regualtions, state regulations, used/second-hand markets, high industry standards of customer satisfaction and enticement, higher quality, higher integrity sources of review, watchdog groups, etc.

I think that avoiding the demonstration for games is both a sign of blatant greed as well as a direct disregard for what games are. Again, this is a product that we see, hear, read, has as much potential for emotion as anything else, and is something that we can - its greatest strength - directly control. Lump those all together and it's quite the potentially amazing package, but we're just supposed to take the word of a fairly immature, increasingly greedy, and fairly dishonest industy?

Demos help me avoid what I consider bad games. Due to no direct financial cost, demos have repeatedly helped me try out new franchises/concepts/genres I might have otherwise skipped. The industry has numerous barries with returning bad/poor products, especially on the PC side of things. When I have potential concerns, a demo significantly helps me sort out their validity or inaccuracy.

Pushing the cessation of demos is not exactly a "win" for the end user, especially not one with such wide range of tastes and expectations as myself. Additionally, I don't think the industry has been particularly beholden to the end user as of late.

And they want to do less? Or even charge me for this service? That's a bitter pill for me to swallow and I will simply react by being even more cautious with my purchases as well as doing my best to push down the purchase prices as much as I can.
Though I have more money available now, crap like this makes me less generous with it.
Saddened by any that emrace this,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > June Singularity Confirmed
5. Re: June Singularity Confirmed Apr 18, 2010, 23:06 Ray Marden

I've been mildly interested in this one, but I'm taking a wait and see approach. Actually, given how little information has been given out about this game, I was thinking it might be delayed until the end of the year.

The idea could be neat, but "time" tends to be a somewhat game breaking mechanic, else it tends to have some incredibly artificial constraints placed upon it. Though not fully implemented, the "two worlds" aspect in Wolfenstein always felt a bit tacked on. That aside, I'm curious if this game will have some meat to it as a shooter or if it will feel a bit generic (or just potentially absurd.)
I hope it's more than the usual competent, but simple Raven game.
Wishing I could play one of those strange, archaic "demo" things for this,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
29. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 17, 2010, 16:58 Ray Marden

So what exactly am I supposed to base my purchases off of? Especially in the case of new franchises, genres, or gameplay mechanics?

A pretty screenshot is easy to make. I believe the industry has all sorts of issues with integrity, payola, and fanboys. These are programs with a wide range of performance, compatability, and technical expertise. The industry doesn't let you return bad products. I already have a personal history of demos encouraging purchases of games I might otherwise neglect and completely avoiding games that were incredibly bad. Most important, this is something that I directly control (the game playing experience) and I am the single best source for determing what I enjoy playing.

But what, I should just buy every game the marketers and/or publishers claim is great? Because they're already so good at honestly citing their faults and failures, right?

If ever I was going to be much more selective with my purchases as well as push down the average purchase price to minimize any personal loss I may suffer, this is certainly the way to encourage me to do it.
Morons. Thanks again for f*ck*ng over a lover of games.
Rolling my eyes,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Borderlands DLC Interview
7. Re: Borderlands DLC Interview Apr 14, 2010, 12:44 Ray Marden

My problem is that so many of these "journalists" don't bother to push the envelope even the smallest, most minimal amount.

Instead of "Hey douche-bag, how in the f*ck do you charge so much for your crap DLC?," they could still ask a rather tame "Regarding your DLC pricing; do you think it will ever change?"

Don't get me wrong, that's an easy PR spin, but if these companies can't be bothered to even attempt a small amount of prodding for the trusth, what hope do we have? Are we truly just going to be morons that buy only what is flashed in front of our screens?

BUY ME NOW! BUY ME NOW! I'M SO GREAT GREAT GREAT! W00T YOU LOVE IT! GIVE ME YOUR MONEY! BUSINESS BUSINESS GREED GREED GREED. PROBLEMS? NO PROBLEMS HERE - THOSE ARE ALL BONUSES!!!!! YAYYYYYY! IF IT'S GOOD, IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF MY AND MY GODLY GREATNESS! IF IT'S BAD, IT MUST BE BECAUSE OF YOU AND/OR PIRATES! NOTHING IS MY FAULT!

If so, I find that incredibly sad. What does that say for where we're headed? Whatever happened to revolutionary prodcuts, much less steady evolutionary improvements? My mind wants a bit more than the pre-packaged product that's designed for mass consumpion...
Does intellect trump greed or monotony at any point?
Saddened that nearly the entire market took the quick and dirty approach to DLC,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo