Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6558 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 22, 2010, 17:27 Ray Marden

It's $100.00 for the core system and an additional amount for any hard drives you turn in.

Mind you, these credits (at these rates) are only applicable for a "slim" purchase so it could be a hassle doing a HD transfer.

Otherwise, the spring arcade is/was $130.00 with a $30 game credit at places like Target (for those that just need a HDMI output.) And if you only need a bigger HD, those are going to become even more discounted in the second hand market, although that market is always "As-is."

I've been seriously trading in my old launch system for the HDMI and bigger HD, but I just don't use the system enough. Additionally, Black Friday isn't too far away...
Why, again, are 2TB PC drives cheaper than 360 60GB drive?????
Thinking I would definitely do it for $125...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On OnLive Game Prices
13. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 21, 2010, 22:22 Ray Marden

Well, I guess we just figured that, when we pay full retail, we might, oh, own the game at that point?

Or are people already pIrAtInG!!!!!!1 OnLive?
R.I.P. OnLive.
Thinking that is obiously the case!,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2010, 12:53 Ray Marden

Kinect is the all-in-one, but also the closest to nothing-in-one given its actual effectiveness.

For all of these, especially the multiple component controllers, they are a bit pricey for a single user and fairly unrealistic for a group.

Meanwhile, can you imagine the sticker shock to a new user? Pay this for your console, this for your motion control, this for your games, this for your additional controllers, these for the attachments, this for the cable that isn't included, try not to look at the retail pricing for Blu-Rays, this for the Netflix, be sure to check on which HD you get, you need to get this extra online services, etc.

"Oh, but you can spend like $2xx and just get this non-motion gaming package...or have it included in the box with the Wii..."
Give me 1:1 in the box for a great price and then we'll talk.
Thinking this all sounds better in a generation or two,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 13
3. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 13 Jun 21, 2010, 12:46 Ray Marden

Eh, a lot of us are older and more experienced/demanding/whinier/etc.

What was actually new? What will be out in the next six months? What blew you/me/anybody away? What are we just dying to play? I have a hard time answering those questions.

Additionally, this is a peculiar time for gaming - the PC market is slowing its advancement of new technology. In contrast, the consoles are at mid-points of not introducing new (main console) hardware and finding a steady, if not predictable, groove of what games to make and release. Meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft swayed heavily in the direction of motion control and casual games, both to questionable results and sometimes to the exclusion of actual gaming. Meanwhile, Nintendo is making a killing on sales, but offering up few quality games, particularly for its historically core audience (although next year looks like a relative improvement.)

I was unimpressed, but that's been par for the course these last few years. More and more, I think the general or average level of quality is improving, but there are less standout titles, surprising ideas, or new experiences. Buy your yearly sports game, pick your coolest war FPS, play your music game, keep on playing WoW, etc. There are definitely titles I am looking towards, but I knew about most of them in advance and none of them are particularly driving me crazy with anticipation.

Of course, I have an equal share of the fault - feeling more contempt for the end user from market as well as my dissatisfaction with the DLC rollout - I am actively pushing my average purchase price down by quite an amount (tax-free purchases through Amazon with Prime shipping, Steam deals, pre-order discounts, etc.) Likewise, I am running high end games on a nearly two year old procesor (E8600) and a year old graphics card (5850.)

I have a good idea of what games I will be getting and very few titles that really intrigued me. What completely blew me away? Uhhh....
Rage and Portal 2 are up there, but I know what to expect with both.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD
50. Re: Kotick: Audience Jun 20, 2010, 19:27 Ray Marden

Beamer, I really do think you're missing the point. At the very least, I think you are arguing a completely different point.

We (generally) understand that portion - charge the most that is possible while giving the very least. Ideally, with external force requiring people purchase from you.

But is that people are generally discussisng here? I don't think so - obviously I am not. But discsussions abou what makes a good game? What is a fair value? How the industry regards itself? The publisher, developer, and end user roles? How the industry is evolving and growing?

Likewise, that's how some people can rant and rave the principle of the matter while having a completely separate financial approach. In contrast, broad sweeping insults over the financial aspect of the industry are hardy appreciate. That's to say nothing of Kotick's "statments" and their intended results...
Then again, you know what you're doing as well.
Already written off as I obviously have no capability to rationally discuss things...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD
34. Re: Kotick: Audience Jun 20, 2010, 17:24 Ray Marden

Yeah, I have nothing nice to say about Kotick - he is absolutely the stereotypical corporate shill - but the market is just eating out of his hands.

While it keeps on gobbling up every overpriced, scaled back, DLC-ladden release, Activision is just going to try to grab more and more. I'm all for diversity of releases, but it's quite telling that CoD/MoH/BF are consistently such huge sellers. Heck, you just have to announce one of these games and they immediately become a top ten preorder...
The PC market has particularly caved for these games.
Thinking the $60 retail price and $30-$40 cumulative DLC price confirm this,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > RAGE Trailers
44. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 22:46 Ray Marden

It's funny - I would swear there are broad, stereotyping, id-loving comments tumping an online conspiracy.

I'm so tired of that mentality. I can look at games - good and bad - and point out their flaws, come up with ways to improve them, identify the items that interest me, etc.

I want new games to improve and excel, not just be "good enough." I don't see any purpose in holding any dissenting opinions with disregard, if not contempt.

Pick whatever game I may absolutely love and I can still find faults with it, areas to improve, and/or neat ideas to try. Even if I may completely disagree with somebody over how fantastic I am think that game is, I can also accept that people do not have to love it. There are many games I realize are good, but which I have no taste for.

Ultimately, I'm mildly hopeful for Rage. I am terribly skeptical of id and I have some concerns about Rage, but I can see a lot of good points in what was shown.

But really, with this type of disrespect for one another, what's the point? Clearly that singular opinion is the only one that matters...
Such a waste of intelligence.
Shaking my head,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 6
3. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 6 Jun 16, 2010, 21:58 Ray Marden

THERE WAS NEWS, BUT IT WAS PIRATED 'CUZ THAT IS ALL PC GAMERS DO!!!!1111111111111oneoneone

Just updates on Portal 2, Rage, and SW:ToR. So sad.
Up to no good,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 4
5. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 4 Jun 16, 2010, 11:33 Ray Marden

I'm not raving about Nintendo, but I was actually surprised tht they had more than a single game to offer. In essence, I was just expecting a Zelda game and nothing else I would ever care about.

Nintendo didn't do anything to break the mold and it's an easy argument to just say they're re-releasing games, just updated for the Wii. However, Zelda is a plus, it's been a long time since I've played a DK game so I'd be up for that, Goldeneye may be good for nostalgia, if finally gave gamers something Icarus related, and iKirby, though horribly goofy, could be fun - it looks like a decent platformer and reminds me of other games from Klonoa through the Yoshi games. Supposedly there s better third part support this coming year, but that doesn't mean much and still has yet to be proven.

I don't really give a damn about handhelds (if I'm doing something outside, I'm not gaming; if I'm gaming inside, I'd rather do it on a full system,) but a 3D handheld will definitely grab attentions and it was a smart decision to do with sans glasses.
Not a lot of games, but more than the single game I was expecting.
Having missed the Sony show; curious if Move is good or more Kinect garbage,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 3
16. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 3 Jun 15, 2010, 15:18 Ray Marden

To say nothing of Blizzard cutting or drastically scaling back the new gameplay items it had intended to introduce...
Guild talents, path of the titans, archaeology, etc.
Saying goodbye to all the new ideas,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 3
8. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 3 Jun 15, 2010, 12:46 Ray Marden

E3, at least looking at yesterday, was a total joke, in my opinion.

Microsoft has this remarkably expensive camera (It's how close to the price of a newly discounted system?) which will further split the market (because they don't already have enough SKUs.) Likewise, all the games are really simple, generic motion games - the lack of any additional input (D-pad, buttons) is really limiting it and they made no real effort to incorporate it into more established genres/series.

And the killing blow is how poorly it performed. Lag? Low resolution? Scaled back graphics? Limited gameplay? Faked demonstrations?

I guess GoW3 can push the expanded co-op, but that's obviously the same damn game being re-released. If anything, I think the range of tentacle monsters to dryad-like monsters and unimpressive weapons (pew pew pew endlessly) didn't do much for me. I'll get it for $20, but not before then.

Of course, this is all better that Ubi's pa-thet-ic offerings. More Rabids? Yet another AC, this one a recycling of the latest game, but with the stupid horse element brought back, even more absurd group battles, and cannon wars? Laser tag? Design your own game? Finger sensors? More Shawn "cardboard personality" White? Dance like Michael? A further bastardization of Ghost Recon, but now with Crysis suits!

As for today, Nintendo is dangling Zelda in front of my eyes, but that's about it. Well, I guess they could do some advertising of "Hey, at least we aren't Kinect."

Maybe Sony will offer up something new or exciting, but I'm horribly shocked by how blatantly and clumsily the companies have gone for the casual motion market. Otherwise, this is just "official" presentations of all the games we already know about...
Will move be good or be total Kinect krap?
Feeling the market has no direction,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 on January 25
7. Re: Dead Space 2 on January 25 Jun 15, 2010, 11:36 Ray Marden

I'm definitely getting this game, although I have concerns about how good it will be in the long run. I saw a brief clip yesterday and it was just going through room after room in a building and the combat seemed a bit generic (lots of monsters one at a time with lots of ammo.)

I think the first game really nailed it with being confined to a mining ship and I was always keeping an eye on my ammo, adding another level of tension to the game.

I can only wait and see, but my concern is that I didn't really see anything new and I'm concerned it may be more of a generic shooter now.
Dimentia sounds a bit stupid. I definitely would have taken the story elesehwere.
A "fear" snob; only saving that for System Shock and one or two other games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week
26. Re: New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week Jun 14, 2010, 19:03 Ray Marden

Keep an eye out - various sites had it at $30.00 just over a week ago, though it's back towards the $40 range now.

However, I expect it will see a few more discounts, to say nothing of all the preorders that now give game credits...
That's new, mind you. Buying used makes Domo mad.
Wondering if there will be anything new at E3 or just official confirmations,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements
21. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 18:34 Ray Marden

Really, can you be a bigger jerk?

Why do you think so many people complain? Why do you think there is a news item about this?

From my own personal experience, I tried the tweaks - it made the game playable at that point compared to the broken mess it was before, but it was hardly a "perfect" solution.

As I stated in my prior post, there was a direct correlation with the framerate. Pay it on my system at 800x600 with minimum settings and, even with the tweaks, it was completely unplayable. Push it up to maximum settings at 1920x1200 and it was drastically better.

So can I use my own experience to completely invalidate what you and anybody else says to the contrarty? Luckily, I won't - I'm not that arrogant or assumptive.
But keep on yelling, yo. RAWW HULK SMASH!!!!!!1111
Guessing I'm just making it all up...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week
18. Re: New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week Jun 14, 2010, 18:23 Ray Marden

Poor me and my 20 GB 360 without any HDMI output. Nothing like spending $80 to buy a 1.5TB drive and then experiencing sticker shock when looking at the MS hard drives. Bonus points for bricking systems with offmarket drives, too.

For whatever bizarre psychological reason, I enjoy my PS3 more than my 360. The 360 just seems like a Netflix server whereas the PS3 gives me games, Blu-Rays, and a controller I like more. Little by little, I end up picking up PS3 games on sale more often, though the 360 has come out ahead in some recent ports (RDR, Bayonetta) and, flaws be damned, I enjoyed Alan Wake.

Looking forward, there are two or three upcoming PS3 games I am interested in, but the only 360 stuff I care about is super cheap greatest hits stuff. I love love love SMG2, but the Wii will otherwise collect dust until maybe Metroid: Other M, else I'll wait for that next Legend of Zelda game.

For the stuff I care about, very little is actually platform exclusive which is why, by far, the PC is my favored platform (SC2, Mafi II, F:NV, Portal 2, Tron: Evolution, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, f*ck*ng WOW, etc.)
Creston, the new Just Cause 2 bar is $20! Make it so!
Wishing I could trade in my system for $150,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > DX 3 Designer on DX2
11. Re: DX 3 Designer on DX2 Jun 14, 2010, 13:09 Ray Marden

But then they shouldn't use the name. I'm not saying names we give things are rigidly locked into one specific meaning, but they generlaly imply some basic/common attributes.

When I talk about my computer, you wouldn't normally expect that to describe something like asparagus...

And, as is the most common case, if they want to cash in on a name, be fully prepared to be held against its standards.
In summary: Duh.
Thinking it's okay to evolve and improve games over time,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements
9. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 13:00 Ray Marden

So...what you're saying...is really...that you DID have control issues?

Joking aside, it's a common problem in crappy console to PC ports. I actually enjoyed Dead Space quite a bit, but dealing with the controls was such a heavy piece of the game that I would argue I played a completely different game than the console players did. Additionally, it got worst the faster my system became - another "joy" of Dead Space.

Improved mouse controls can only be a bonus at this point.
The hardest part of the game was just controlling it.
Thoroughly unimpressed with Kinect,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2010, 13:04 Ray Marden

Oviously it's a fake "quote."

I mean...Cliffy B. arrogant and disrespectful of others?
Isn't Cliffy a tabloid developer?
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Crysis 2 E3 Teaser Trailer
1. Re: Crysis 2 E3 Teaser Trailer Jun 7, 2010, 18:24 Ray Marden

Pointlessness.

Achieved with this trailer.
Demo please.
Looking back at Crysis and enjoying the alien bits the least,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege 3 Announced
26. Re: Dungeon Siege 3 Announced Jun 7, 2010, 17:36 Ray Marden

I really, really enjoyed the first game, but the second game's demo had so many issues that I never bothered.

Having said that, DS2 is hardly Taylor's cardinal sin.

Space Siege
Give me a demo, but I'm certainly not expecting anything. Long live TQ!
'Nuff said,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6558 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo