Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Space 2 on January 25
7. Re: Dead Space 2 on January 25 Jun 15, 2010, 11:36 Ray Marden

I'm definitely getting this game, although I have concerns about how good it will be in the long run. I saw a brief clip yesterday and it was just going through room after room in a building and the combat seemed a bit generic (lots of monsters one at a time with lots of ammo.)

I think the first game really nailed it with being confined to a mining ship and I was always keeping an eye on my ammo, adding another level of tension to the game.

I can only wait and see, but my concern is that I didn't really see anything new and I'm concerned it may be more of a generic shooter now.
Dimentia sounds a bit stupid. I definitely would have taken the story elesehwere.
A "fear" snob; only saving that for System Shock and one or two other games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week
26. Re: New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week Jun 14, 2010, 19:03 Ray Marden

Keep an eye out - various sites had it at $30.00 just over a week ago, though it's back towards the $40 range now.

However, I expect it will see a few more discounts, to say nothing of all the preorders that now give game credits...
That's new, mind you. Buying used makes Domo mad.
Wondering if there will be anything new at E3 or just official confirmations,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements
21. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 18:34 Ray Marden

Really, can you be a bigger jerk?

Why do you think so many people complain? Why do you think there is a news item about this?

From my own personal experience, I tried the tweaks - it made the game playable at that point compared to the broken mess it was before, but it was hardly a "perfect" solution.

As I stated in my prior post, there was a direct correlation with the framerate. Pay it on my system at 800x600 with minimum settings and, even with the tweaks, it was completely unplayable. Push it up to maximum settings at 1920x1200 and it was drastically better.

So can I use my own experience to completely invalidate what you and anybody else says to the contrarty? Luckily, I won't - I'm not that arrogant or assumptive.
But keep on yelling, yo. RAWW HULK SMASH!!!!!!1111
Guessing I'm just making it all up...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week
18. Re: New Slimmer Xbox 360 this Week Jun 14, 2010, 18:23 Ray Marden

Poor me and my 20 GB 360 without any HDMI output. Nothing like spending $80 to buy a 1.5TB drive and then experiencing sticker shock when looking at the MS hard drives. Bonus points for bricking systems with offmarket drives, too.

For whatever bizarre psychological reason, I enjoy my PS3 more than my 360. The 360 just seems like a Netflix server whereas the PS3 gives me games, Blu-Rays, and a controller I like more. Little by little, I end up picking up PS3 games on sale more often, though the 360 has come out ahead in some recent ports (RDR, Bayonetta) and, flaws be damned, I enjoyed Alan Wake.

Looking forward, there are two or three upcoming PS3 games I am interested in, but the only 360 stuff I care about is super cheap greatest hits stuff. I love love love SMG2, but the Wii will otherwise collect dust until maybe Metroid: Other M, else I'll wait for that next Legend of Zelda game.

For the stuff I care about, very little is actually platform exclusive which is why, by far, the PC is my favored platform (SC2, Mafi II, F:NV, Portal 2, Tron: Evolution, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, f*ck*ng WOW, etc.)
Creston, the new Just Cause 2 bar is $20! Make it so!
Wishing I could trade in my system for $150,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > DX 3 Designer on DX2
11. Re: DX 3 Designer on DX2 Jun 14, 2010, 13:09 Ray Marden

But then they shouldn't use the name. I'm not saying names we give things are rigidly locked into one specific meaning, but they generlaly imply some basic/common attributes.

When I talk about my computer, you wouldn't normally expect that to describe something like asparagus...

And, as is the most common case, if they want to cash in on a name, be fully prepared to be held against its standards.
In summary: Duh.
Thinking it's okay to evolve and improve games over time,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements
9. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 13:00 Ray Marden

So...what you're saying...is really...that you DID have control issues?

Joking aside, it's a common problem in crappy console to PC ports. I actually enjoyed Dead Space quite a bit, but dealing with the controls was such a heavy piece of the game that I would argue I played a completely different game than the console players did. Additionally, it got worst the faster my system became - another "joy" of Dead Space.

Improved mouse controls can only be a bonus at this point.
The hardest part of the game was just controlling it.
Thoroughly unimpressed with Kinect,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2010, 13:04 Ray Marden

Oviously it's a fake "quote."

I mean...Cliffy B. arrogant and disrespectful of others?
Isn't Cliffy a tabloid developer?
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Crysis 2 E3 Teaser Trailer
1. Re: Crysis 2 E3 Teaser Trailer Jun 7, 2010, 18:24 Ray Marden

Pointlessness.

Achieved with this trailer.
Demo please.
Looking back at Crysis and enjoying the alien bits the least,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege 3 Announced
26. Re: Dungeon Siege 3 Announced Jun 7, 2010, 17:36 Ray Marden

I really, really enjoyed the first game, but the second game's demo had so many issues that I never bothered.

Having said that, DS2 is hardly Taylor's cardinal sin.

Space Siege
Give me a demo, but I'm certainly not expecting anything. Long live TQ!
'Nuff said,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Why Didn't You Buy GSB?
73. Re: Why Didn't You Buy GSB? Jun 6, 2010, 17:19 Ray Marden

My overall issues with the price are what other titles, particularly big studio releases, are going for. Just today, now that Amazon is offering Demon's Souls for $29.99 (which appears to be a new price set by Atlus?,) I just bought it for a psychological-equivalent of $9.99. Mind you, that's $20 coupon from previously purchasing SMG2, lack of any sales tax from being purchased online and my state of residence, and free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime for an "effective" out of pocket purchase of $9.99.

Looking directly at the DLC, it wasn't an outright anti-DLC reaction, but skepticism stemming from how the overall industry has adopted DLC. Obviously, I take the approach that DLC is not just a piecemeal release of a larger game (as in something that is 20% of a normal game is 20% of its normal price) or a classic "expansion pack, but a way to nickel and dime the community (10% of a normal game for 20% of its normal price, dropping features from the full game, but maintaining the full purchase price, etc.)

• If the game is $23, are the $6 expansion packs going to offer 1/4 of the features of the new game?

• Is this an older game? I don't know either way, but with three expansions, I would presume so. Am I getting a discount on buying this older game?

• What if I really, really like this game? I'm still looking at all of these being parts of GSB and not GSB2, GSB3, etc. Under that mentality, if I want to buy everything, what is my real cost? That's where that $41 price tag comes up and again faces competition against the other titles I previously mentioned.

• There is huge gray area, but again, I find the initial information lacking, especially from my previously established perspective of uninterest. I have no doubt I can hunt down information, but I need to be sold on the game before I do that. With really only knowing there are three expansions, what do they offer? Are they new ships? New gameplay? Bug fixes?

• This is admittedly a double-edged sword and is again a direct result of my frustration with how DLC has been handled by the industry. If you tell me the three expansions are nothing new with regards to game content (essentially map packs,) why do I need them? If I just play the main game enough, won't that be good enough? If you tell me that these expansions do, in fact, offer up completely different game experiences, this ties back into my previous points. I take that as that gutted game is really $23 and the real, full game is actually $41.

• Let's say neither case is true and it's the perfect combination of all things...which I immediately disbelieve given my feeling of being screwed by companies like BioWare ($7 for 20 minutes of gameplay? 30 minutes if you scan planets? That sucks.) This can be (is) completely unfair to you, but is the reality of how my DLC experiences have shaped my perspective.

• Needless to say, a lot of it is psychology. But you know what, so are a lot of games. Do this...to get the next item. Spend the money...to get this improved upgrade. Grind this out...to have access to this one thing. Obviously, the immediate and logical argument is the "It's optional" argument, but we are - or at least I am - almost programmed to try and get everything. I don't have to do those side quests. I don't have to rescue that person. I don't have to get the upgrades. I don't need to go for the platinum rating. But there are various reasons why I should - it's a core component of most/many games. At least some part of me wants the carrot dangling at the end of the stick...

And let it be clear that my issues with the gameplay and the pricing are almost two separate things. Admittedly, one can trump the other in certain cases, but only when ridiculously lopsidded. Looking solely at pricing, A $15 game with $5 expansions and a $25 premium package just fit a lot better with me. But obviously that's a decrease in pricing which is a negative to you. This is a tangental item, but I find it quite interesting to see how the "Pay what you want" promotions perform when factoring in my above neurosi...er...I mean pyschology.

But again, I'm hardly the intended demographic so disregard this in full.
    Play to your market. Improve the game, but don't drastically change what it is.
    A living contradiction,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
    4. Re: Red Dead Redemption Needs to Sell 4 Million Copies to Break Even. Jun 5, 2010, 22:15 Ray Marden

It's not unheard of for a AAA sandbox game. They can rack up a lot of expenses on audio (voice work, music) and the time/effort it takes to make that large of a world with that many different items. Toss in a tortured development process and the cost can skyrocket further.

It's often neglected, but just like movies, advertising can account for a significant portion of a game's budget.
    I want the game, but refuse to buy it. Wah wah.
    Thinking Alice in Wonderland looked a little flat on Blu-Ray,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

34. Re: Why Didn't You Buy GSB? Jun 5, 2010, 20:24 Ray Marden

Having played the demo, albeit a single time, my initial impressions are along the same lines as the others:

• Graphically, I wish the artwork was at a higher native resolution. I'd love to see this take the 2.5D route.

• I broke the in-game tutorial slightly by clicking where I wasn't supposed to. At that point, the screen the tutorial was referencing was gone, but the tutorial prompt was still up. It took me a few seconds to get out of that area.

• I don't like how the strategy component is so heavily front-loaded. Inherently, when I play a game, I want to play it - I'd love to have control during the battle, even if only in limited form.

• There is obviously some technical depth to this game, but the demo doesn't really ease you into it - you either use it or you don't.

• I don't know how well it scales beyond the small fight I played, but the camera control could be better - I'd love to have a higher default sensitivity and it's telling that I initially tried to zoom in/out as I do in Eve Online.

• This still really isn't my type of game. I generally like having control over my games/vehicles/characters. Additionally, I place a heavy premium on experiencing new things - this covers exploration, a penchant for fantasy, wanting to experience a story, etc.

• $23/$41/$51 - that's too high given the lack of appeal for this genre, the personal worth I attribute to the game, and the other games I want and their relative cost.

• But again, I would question how big the market is for the genre and how much of if has been captured. If some of the more drastic changes were made to game to appeal more to my tastes, the current fans would likely be turned off. If this game is working on a financial basis, I would encourage reviewing the price and then making tweaks to improve the current game.

Ultimately, I'd be inclined to say this just, simply, is not my type of game and any potential future sale would need to be from a different type of game than a tweak of this current game style.

But I guess that's what this survey is for, isn't it?
    +1 for more Star Control gameplay.
    Feeling removed as I watched the battle unfold,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

29. Re: Why Didn't You Buy GSB? Jun 5, 2010, 19:02 Ray Marden

I can't speak to the pirate perspective, but I would ask how big of a market this type of game actually has and what percentage of that market this game has?

Let me make this clear - I don't really hold much interest in this genre and I tend to be selective both in what games I buy and what price I pay for them. I have never play GSB and I've previously - through complete ignorance - written it off as typical indie shooter.

From the perspective of non-interest, the website doesn't hook me on the game:

• Big, garrish logo.

• Music playing which is just BOOM BOOM SMASH CRASH BASH.

• The top row of screenshots make this game look like a cl*st*rf*ck.

• The website layout reinforces this idea - running at a resolution of 1920x1200, only about 1/3 of the screen is actually dedicated to anything game relatead and 2/3 of the screen is just images of the above BOOM SMASH CRASH BACH. Repeated vertically to boot.

• The animated horizontal image is just zooming in and out of more cl*st*rf*ck stuff.

• Tell me about the game. I'm looking for just a bullet list of items and instead I have a wall of text trying to glorify the game. BSG references? DS9? Nostalgic quotes? Personally, this stuff tends to make me think one of two things: this game is full of itself or the hype is greater than the gameplay.

• I get to the image in the lower left corner and I see some ship with an inventory crammed full of stuff (this just screams out more cl*st*rf*ck even in the game mechanics) and what looks like 15+ equipment slots (is this some mindless action game or some painfully technical RTS/management game?)

• There is a line about this being the "Prettiest 2D game..." and my obvious question is if this is truly a 2D game or a 2.5D game. I'm hoping it's the latter in this day and age, but the website background isn't helping my impression (the background isn't terrible, but it's very soft and makes the art look like it is at a low resolution.

• Only at the bottom bottom of the page do I see the YouTube clip playing - I realize this is the source of the annoying music and annoying sounds I was hearing. Of course, by now, I've missed the entire point of the video so I have to replay it - only then do I maybe give it some credence for being a decent looking game, having some appreciation for its seeming scope of battle, and have some explanation of the previous screens I was viewing.

• Then there are just questions about the info shoved at the bottom. The Swarm? Is there a package I buy today that lets me own this game or am I already only getting half of what is available? Oh, this is made by some company called Positech Games? There is an admission that minimum specs are routinely requested, but this is only addressed as three sentences at the bottom of the page?

• Only when I got to the bottom of the page did I actually see anything that began to sell me on the game, explained some initial questions I had, and addressed the performance question.

Finally, what is the price? $23 for the core game? $41 for the full series? $51 for a physical release? This is priced out of my limited interest in the genre, the various games I am currently playing, as well as other games I am looking at right now. Just Cause 2 is $30 at Target, 3D Dot Game Heroes is $30 at Gamestop (with a $10 future purchase coupon,) Demon's Souls is $30 at GoGamer, God of War III is $40, various "Platinum Hits" console games are $20-$30, etc.
    To say nothing of the game credits I have through Amazon.
    Ultimately, I'm not the target demographic so you can feely tell me to go piss off. But given my limited interest in the genre and the price level, I think you probably are looking at a niche audience to begin with. If you do want to get a sale from somebody like me, you definitely need to revise the pricing and maybe tweak how the game is presented.

Now having said that, I'll have to try the demo this weekend so I can literally STFU and actually see what the game is really like.
    In summary, I'm just a stuck up *ssh*l*.
    Thinking that, if I like it, the price would be a hurdle,
    Ray

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2010, 19:09.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 2010 Trailer
    13. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 2010 Trailer Jun 4, 2010, 21:13 Ray Marden

So...SC:Conviction, but with the Crysis suit? And painted brown?

Demo please.

Hoping Creston doesn't point out JC2 is now $30 at Target ,
    Ray It's a good price, but I have SMG2 to play!

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 2010 Trailer
    4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 2010 Trailer Jun 4, 2010, 18:53 Ray Marden

Eh, I'll wait and see.

I realize that is "supposed" to be cool, but it's nothing I haven't seen a million times over (movies, games, anime, etc.)

Looking towards the game component, this really doesn't show anything, it's a slightly different take on DE than my own, and I can see various ways this could go bad.
    How about an overpowered stealth mechanic coupled with mindless action?
    But I'll wait and see. Given that other game that used the Deus Ex name as well as some of the comments that have been made over the years, I am definitely skeptical.

Waiting to see,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alpha Protocol
    9. Re: Maybe it's me.... Jun 1, 2010, 17:55 Ray Marden

Early reviews seem to be varying quite a bit - it seems to have that "gem in the rough" feeling to it, perhaps with quite a bit of rough.

I'm somewhat interested in the title at this point, but not until I can pick it up for $30 or so or I finish all the games I currently have.
    It reminds me of those Mission Impossible games.
    Enjoying SMG2 quite a bit,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    3. Re: Ipad Jun 1, 2010, 12:48 Ray Marden

I'll give Apple credit for creating another tech fad, but I don't think it is generally good for the users on the whole. For $600, it's an overpriced media toy, you can build a good desktop for the same amount, and it certainly doesn't offer the work functionality of a laptop.

But people are buying it so...
    I can appreciate it as a $300 to maybe $400 toy, but it's otherwise a waste.
    Shrugging,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Interview, Trailer
    4. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Interview, Trailer May 29, 2010, 18:24 Ray Marden

This looks fairly hokey and it's painfully obvious that this doesn't give a damn about maintaining the combat from F.E.A.R. (not that the sequel did this either.)

Obviously, this isn't a F.E.A.R. game. For the new type of game it is trying to be, it better have an amazing demo else this just seems like more FPS shovelware that I won't look at until it gets discounted to a $20 price level.
    Something like Wolfenstein.
    This may get eaten up by the "Who cares if it doesn't maintain the core values of the game, it's a competent shooter" crowd, but it's sad to see F.E.A.R. killed off this way. I'm tired of turning main characters into hobos, F.E.A.R. shouldn't have you play with Fettel, gameplay shouldn't be about absorbing enemies, I don't want more mech play, etc.

Thinking it says a lot when such low quality screenshots are released,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 13:28 Ray Marden

I'm certainly not buying it at the price. I'm certainly not spending that for an accessory item. I'm certainly not paying that given how far into this console's life cycle it is.

Compared to Sony's system, this thing is all gesturing and doesn't have any buttons! Looking at the low cost, included for free, available to every owner Wii, this makes no sense.

I might buy this thing for $60 with an included killer app and a wide range of fantastic upcoming games. But in all reality, I am not looking to buy Natal in general and even less so at that price.
    This sounds like a better idea for the next system - not this one.
    Glad no recessions are affecting the game companies...,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday
    3. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 18:06 Ray Marden

I sure don't.

It wasn't as good as the first and the stupid focus on MP just reinforces the disregard they have for this franchise.
    Maybe if they gave us a real sequel. You know, something *after* the first game.
    More likely to replay the original than the sequel,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 27.
    < Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo