Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 25, 2010, 09:11 Ray Marden

He really limits his speaking appearances and there is a lot of work that goes into making them look as good as possible - there is the obvious editing, but he pre-loads on various medications as well.

Otherwise, given his general physical condition, I could see him maybe wanting to do this for fun, but it not being greatly rewarding from a financial sense and especially not worth the physical hassle.
Here is to hoping the game is decent.
Having more and more bugs and crashes with F:NV now ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
80. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 20:39 Ray Marden

Ummm...wow, absolutely wow, amazingly wow!

I tried fiddling with various settings and I could never get something that didn't feel off. And I don't think it's a hardware issue - my system is more than capable of playing this game and I had similar results from high settings to low settings.

Then I dried the d3d file - I launched the game, it scanned my system, I went to the settings area and hit the "Ultra" quality button, I set my resolution to 1920x1200, and I started the game...

Smooth as butter - I didn't notice any issues and it reminded me of playing F3. I took some screenshots between the two settings and the differences are minimal. The lighting has been tweaked slightly and it looks like you might lose a sliver of precision at the farthest reaches (and that's at 1920x1200.)
And I was swapping back and forth between the screenshots.
It doesn't work for everybody, apparently, but that drive makes it play like a completely different game.

Huzzah,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
56. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 12:41 Ray Marden

I'm running a 5850 and the framerate has, more than being low, been really inconsistent. No game holds a rock steady framerate, but the animation/movement feels really inconsistent. Whether I play at 1920x1200 ultra high quality or something like 1024x768 at low settings, I see no change in this. I was worried that it was just me, but I'll have to look into the file that has been discussed in other posts.

Otherwise, my only gripe is the $%@#$%@#$% mouse controls. My default most settings work fine in Windows/WoW/other games, but I need to tweak them immediately when I play New Vegas. Even then, the initial menu responds completely differently in-game and the X/Y axis seem to have different rates as well.
I miss the EZ mode of the magazines, too.
Otherwise enjoying the game so far,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: layoff the von daniken and stitchin next time Oct 20, 2010, 18:03 Ray Marden

I beat AC2, but only by playing it for, say, 30 minutes at a time and then quitting. Just sitting at my computer and playing it straight through, I'm sure my brain would explode with one or two hours due to the simplistic, repetitive gameplay.

Then you had that ending...
Space gods represent!
I have absolutely zero intentio of buying this next game. It just seems like more of the same and they didn't even bother to change the setting much, to say nothing of the gameplay. I'm definitely good for at least a year.

Wishing they focused more on the gameplay and less being hip,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
55. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 16, 2010, 02:06 Ray Marden

Yes, we know. That is the entire point of this announcement and news item.

It is also why we are mad...
No, I do not want fries with that. KTHX.
Noting the asterisk mentioniong the 01/11/11 date,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
20. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 12:50 Ray Marden

I just love that the entire point of the first game was to build your own character, begin the epic story in a new world, create your own origin....................and now they're all about tossing all that to the side and having you play a pre-defined character.

I wasn't dying to play this game (I did enjoy DA, but I have a lot of issues - none of which they seem to be working on in this "sequel,") but forcing a pre-order, forcing a two-month pre-release pre-order, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They better figure out a way to amaze me in the next eight weeks or so or I will make a promise to EAware to specifically not purchase the game.
DA is still the successor to BA, right? Right? Lulz.
Glad that the pre-cut DLC is ready to go three months ahead of release! ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > EA Bashing
32. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 13:07 Ray Marden

It's a double standard, though - try to report things and you just become a thorn that disappears one day. You sit there and take it and it literally drives you crazy.

And now, because this person is so irritated and has so many blatant failures to point out, they get written off and their actual irritation is used as a tool to show just how crazy they are.

In all cases....real issues go unaddressed and massive politics commence!

The sad thing is that this sounds like my own company (hence my own craziness.) I'm in a completely different industry, but it's really sad and scary that some truly psychopathic people work out there. And I'm not sure why so many companies work this way - I guess it's the almighty search for money at all cost - but communication, teamwork, and accountability frequently seem to products of a bygone era...
And the more I rant, the crazier I seem.
Learning to play WoW all over again,
Ray

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2010, 17:31.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
33. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 19:10 Ray Marden

Eh, farewell to one of the older developers.

Personally, I only loved the early Raven stuff - Hexen, Heretic, and up to SoF.

From there, they just kind of made the same game over and over. They were a company that you gave a title to if you wanted to have a competent, if not generic, release in a year or two.

They wouldn't even really put out a "crap" game, but what game of the last ten years did I particularly enjoy? Uhhh....

Otherwise, I don't think they did SW justice, they went stereotypically "console" with all that X-Men stuff, I thought Quake 4 was particularly generic, and I almost think of Wolfenstein and Singularity as two halves of the same competent, generic shooter.
Q4 sucked. I bought it for $5.00 and still couldn't play it to the end.
Guessing I should go back and finish Wolfenstein at some point,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders
10. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 01:36 Ray Marden

It depends on the title, but Lamestop likes to play games with the inventory more than nearly any other big games retailer. I particularly love when, prior ot the shipment even coming in on a given day, they would confirm that no non-preorder copies would be available.

Then again, we're talking about a company that is being structured around turning over used games...
Steam + Amazon Prime = Win.
Having long ago grown tired of the company's games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2010, 18:03 Ray Marden

Anybody that didn't see this coming is clueless.

Now as for the movies themselves, I think I am fine passing on them - especially the "new" trilogy. I used to really, really love Star Wars, but after having been whored out so blatantly by Lucas, I certainly don't have the love for it that I once did.

Every now and then I'll stumble onto the "original" triology and I can watch it for a bit - I remember how fun they were and what a neat world it is - but that all goes away when I see the newer films, the garbage on Cartoon Network, and all the shovelware that is out there (multiple releases, the various crappy games, all the plastic junk, etc.)
Clearly Lucas was not what made the original films so good.
Possibly picking up the Blu-Ray release; otherwise done with the franchise,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Duke 3D Mod
1. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 10:59 Ray Marden

This will absolutely get shut down, but let me reiterate how much I love that game. DNF has gone down a drama-filled rabbit hole, but I would gladly - gladly - pay for a D3D remake done with a current day engine.
We need more games that have fun while kicking ass.
Stuck in a naive dream,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: The Richest People in America 2010 Sep 23, 2010, 18:00 Ray Marden

The company has a terrible, terrible track record regarding its employees. A lot of its low prices come from marginalizing the staff and it urges employees to seek out state/federal health care.

Looking toward altruism, the family's donations are statistically quite small.

Of course, for all my b*tch*ng, some people will do anything to save a penny on an item...
Trickle down economics my ass.
Not a particularly big fan ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > GOG.com Update
26. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 17:37 Ray Marden

I kind of hope they fail now.

The company that prided itself on DRM-free games willfully took the site down for a hoax PR stunt, brings back the site without major changes, and brags about how great it is...
Time to die.
Not planning on purchasing from them,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > GOG.com in Flux
28. Re: GOG.com in Flux Sep 19, 2010, 21:54 Ray Marden

I am mixed overally, though probably more in favor of this.

I will gladly pay to have older games updated to work on current day systems, but its limited selection was always a downer. Also, I felt the pricing was always a bit mixed; I always felt like the marketing was focused more on "DRM-free old stuff" than "all those great games made to work on today's system." I am focusing solely on the psychological aspect, but it always rubbed me the wrong way. With that mentality, it really pissed me off when the charged more for their digital version than I could bug a given game for cheaper off Steam or in-store.

Expand the selection and maybe adjust the pricing slightly and I will eat this stuff up. I'm fine with some DRM and, though I am not sure I want another client to access my games, their old website layout, particularly the purchasing and downloading portion, did feel a little cheap.

Wondering how much we should have to pay for titles we've already paid for...,
Ray Stupid publishers.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Amnesia Postmortem
48. Re: Amnesia Postmortem Sep 19, 2010, 21:40 Ray Marden

Amnesia is easily Frictional's best game to date. As a PC game, I think it is one of the best "pure" PC games released in some time. That this is put out by an indie-style developer is quite amaizng. All the people that need extremely large budgets should feel humbled.

Having said that, there are some obvious financial issues with how this game was released:

• Why a $20.00 price tag? Having finished the game, I would have paid $50.00 for it. Now, I loved the game, but even if they wanted to maintain an indie feel to this game, $30.00 would have been a better idea. This is a definite step up from Penumbra or indie "big heart, but lots of bugs" shovelware.

• Why a 20% discount on pre-orders? I pre-ordered back in May and it seems like they were just tossing out discounts left and right. I was going to buy their first post-Penumbra game period and they cut themselves off at the knees.

• Little to no marketing. I tend to be a gaming snob and play titles that are more down the beaten path, but at least fellow gamers have an idea of what title I am playing. But what do they say to Amnesia? "What's that?"

• This is a niche title of sorts - it has a more classical PC design and focuses on realy horror, not dual-wielding machine gune zombie slaughter fests.

• Relatively, this is a more cerebral game - you are weak, can die easily, have to figure out your escape, you flee rather than fight, you have to search for items, you have to carry over things from one area to the next, etc. However, the core market is heavily focuseed around U.S. war propaganda military FPS.

• Likewise, this is a game that gives you direct control of interacting with the world, bt this is not something people are used to. Some people have valid complaints with the rough edges of this control scheme, some want things handed to them, and it does present a different type of pressure (those doors with boulders in front of them are a lot more worrisome than just pressing a button.

• The story could have been expanded upon, but it's (generally) there if you look for it. However, the endings were a total letdown.

• Although I greatly appreciated it, a large number of people will definitely dislike this style of gameplay. It's not just the "horror" aspect, but the lack of rewards, this being more of an experience than a story, always having to conserve resources, and always having things stacked against you. To are more limited gamer, this game doesn't seem to have much "appeal." What of somebody that has never heard of Frictional or never played any of the Penumbra games?

• Fantastic game, though. A title - for once - that I just loved playing.
    Greatlly appreciating the "super_secret" extras they give us,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2010, 23:06 Ray Marden

When people pass away in general, but especially under protracted circumstances, you quickly cut away all the day to day bullsh*t we pick up and really focus on who that person was at their core.

Along the same lines, no matter how sad/angry you might be, the world keeps on going. It's ultimately a good thing, though - no matter how good or bad your day was, the world keeps on running and tomorrow is a whole brand new day full of endless possibilities.

Looking back at what happened with my own mother, I am profoundly grateful for the three year lead up we had to her death - I feel really bad for people that don't have that time, that can't be there when a loved one passes away, and/or that only finds out second hand. And yet...two things have really struck me since her passing; one is that, in a lot of ways, I never knew her as her own unique person and, though never done in any selfish or menacing way, I never fully appreciated who she was and what she did for me until she passed away. Looking back, it's painfully apparent all the things she did for me, many/most of which I was completely unaware of out of my general naiveity and immaturity. It's the little moments, too, that sting the most - such a turning down a meal so I could go play a game or not spending five minutes to tell her how my day was. I'd give anything to have a day, have one hour, with her and just talk to her person to person.

Seriously, keep in touch with you friends and, particularly, family. A phone call, even a visit, and just spending a few moments of time with people that you love means the world to them. If you or they were to disappear tomorrow, have you let them know you love them and how much they mean to you? In reverse, do you know how they're doing?
    Or just having a current picture with both of you in good health and hugging.
    Thinking none of the other stupid sh*t really matters,
    Ray

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2010, 08:09.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > TRON: Evolution Trailer
    11. Re: TRON: Evolution Trailer Sep 7, 2010, 21:56 Ray Marden

I am alllllllllllllllllllll about this movie, but not the game so much - at this point, it needs to be really cheap or get some good reviews.

Watching the videos (prior and current,) it just seems a little formulaic and a little devoid of interaction/story. Additionally, the driving sequences seem painfully rough, although my saying that is more from the E3 videos.
    I'm sure they were greatly constrained by a short development time.
    Feeling the onset of Amnesia ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Dark Descent Demos
    2. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 01:31 Ray Marden

A little slow at first, but creepy by the end and a nice progression of their standard gameplay.

I already bought this a few months ago, but this has me all the more excited for the full release.
    I just hope they do more than constant hunts for light.
    Staying out of the water,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
    4. Re: etc. Aug 25, 2010, 12:53 Ray Marden

Why?

I have a hundred or so Steam games, but I have never purchased anything from Impulse. I just went to its website right now and nothing on the front page interests me in the slightest.
    It's fairly niche, not a discount leader, and I have other things to play...
    Shrugging,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Wheatley Trailer
    6. Re: Portal 2 Wheatley Trailer Aug 24, 2010, 17:35 Ray Marden

As much as I loved the first one, this one just seems all that much better - even more so for just being around the corner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRxafex-1Ec&feature=player_embedded
    Shaky cam, but longer and better.
    Wishing Amazon didn't utterly fail at release day delivery of Mafia II ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 24.
    < Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo