Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6558 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
39. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 12:48 Ray Marden

Well, Steam and Amazon are about the only places I buy PC games now. At least in the USA, things don't look too good:

• Lamestop: Some stores don't even carry PC games, many titles are only shipped to the store if you pre-order, any title that is actually allowed to be stocked by Lamestop may only receive two or three copies, and poor discounting.

• Target: Lack of pre-orders, very slow/late to stock titles, small selection, heavily focused on the casual market, inconsistent stock levels, poor discounting.

• Walmart: Lack of pre-orders, very slow/late to stock titles, small selection, poor discounting, bad website ordering process, slow store to store transfers.

• Best Buy: Depending on the store, may not stock titles until a day or two until they are released even though the title has been received, stupidly lumps all pre-orders under the same item number (So I can pre-order some version of the game, but not the limited/CE edition? Uhh....,) and weak/inconsistent discounting

• Other digital services: Lack of unique, first-party titles, typically weaker on discounting, often overpriced, smaller libraries, etc.

• Steam wins in a lot of ways for its growing inventory, ability to download digitally, and daily discounts. About the only thing that has beat it is the almighty craziness known as Amazon: no sales tax, free two-day shipping (if not release day guarantee,) brought to my doorstep, massive pre-order discounts, frequent price matching, physical product (box, instruction manual, tchotchkes,) and superb customer service.

In general, if I know I want a product in advance, I will purchase it on Amazon. If I want a product immediately or want to pick up something at a crazy one-day price, I will use Steam.

I HATE nearly all components of Lamestop, Best Buy is lagging behind on things, and I don't really know why Walmart/Target/other places bother putting so little effort into it.
    Steam is an ugly monopoly, especially once sold, but what's the alternative?
    Shrugging,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Plans
    6. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Plans Nov 7, 2010, 15:29 Ray Marden

So...I don't have super aggressive followers? NPCs that routinely fall into, if not through, the game world? Am villified by two gangs, but can freely walk through their bases? Haven't experienced broken quests? Haven't stood a few feet away from a mob, had full weapon skill, fired off six shots via VATS, and missed every single shot? Fought cazadors that become immortal when their health hit zero? Experienced friendly NPCs turning hostile for no reason? Use a third-party .DLL to play the game with a consistent framerate? Encounted animation/model posing errors? Been in the middle of a conversation with a NPC and had it walk away, leaving me with dialogue options and NPC-free zoomed in screen? Rescued a NPC that decided to go back to town and put its head in the ceiling and just hang there? Had game update text stay on screen through an entire play session? Occasional bugs with VATS, up to and including being stuck in ths mode and being killed by a hostile NPC? Numerous crashes when exploring to specific geographical zones?

I'm glad that you've had a much better experience with the game, but don't be so quick to write everybody off.
    As if this is anything new for you.
    As I have previously stated, I generally think this is a better game than F3 was, but I am certainly experiencing more bugs - particularly a much wider spread and more inconsistent variety of bugs - than I ever did with F3.

Probably just making up this entire post just as I did with all the bugs... ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Ball Demo
    2. Re: The Ball Demo Nov 5, 2010, 22:53 Ray Marden

It's not bad, but a little rough.

It does get a little boring babystting the ball, but it's a neat idea. I'm curious to see where the game/puzzles go, though the widescreen FoV and some of the proportions could use tweaking.
    Above avergae indie game, but certainly not the next Portal.
    I won't buy it today, but definitely when it's on sale or when I clear out a game or two from my backlog.

Hoping to finish F:NV this weekend,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    9. Re: Microshaft defends LIVE price hike. Nov 2, 2010, 17:36 Ray Marden

Hey man, let's watch Neflix. What do you want it on? The Wii?

I don't care; that's fine.

The PS3?

I dont' care; that's fine.

Your internet-enabled TV/Blu-Ray player?

I don't care; that's fine.

Your 360?

No, sorry. I don't have a Gold account.

What? You have to upgrade for Netflix? Dont' you already pay Netflix for its services and <insert broadband provider> for internet?

Yeah, but somehow it just costs more on 360.
    And even if you do use Live, you pay in gold for a bigger HD.
    Rolling my eyes,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2010, 19:02 Ray Marden

I have some hopes for Move (better sensitivity and it has those "button" thingies ,) but it would take a lot of quality games for me to go out and get one.

In contrast, I am fairly unimpressed with Kinect........but I'll probably end up getting one beccause a certain somebody is in love with Kinectimals.
    No joke.
    /sigh,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Game Reviews
    10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 29, 2010, 18:54 Ray Marden

Well, what kind of stuff were you rocking in F3?

If I have one complaint about NV (bugs aside,) it is a slightly decreased amount of "large" areas. When you do stumble into them (like vault 34,) you wish this game had a few more, but F3 just had a number of really long, barren areas (sewers, numerous buildings, train stations, etc.)

I certainly have a wide range of guns now, but I don't have five pristine backups for each one of them. Likewise, ammo is a tad more limited - yeah, I have enough to last for quite some time, but it isn't the endless amount I had in F3. Same thing with the caps; I have funding for anything I want at this point (to say nothing of the 20+ packs of C-4,) but I am no longer a walking bank.

I think that's the biggest thing F3 was lacking - it wasn't quite as coherent and you were quickly clad in full armor with pristine versions of the most high tech weapons. Deathclaw? Pssshhhh - I'd kill one in two hits and it would die long before VATS ended. In this game, they would one-shot me early on. Now, I can deal with them, but it generally isn't worth the time or ammo to do so.

Bugs aside, the things I felt were heavy handed in F3 have all generally been scaled back in NV.
    Heck, I even like the addition of the companions. Even if they hav crap Ai.
    Having picked up the explorer perk; having quite a bit of stuff to look at,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Game Reviews
    2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 29, 2010, 12:39 Ray Marden

I think Obsidian made a number of terrific gameplay choices (scaled back caps, decreased abundance of weapons and aid items, more of a focus on non-mechanical enemies, less pointlessly sprawling sewers and vaults, gradual learning curve, etc.) but the tech side of the game can be really problematic.
    Though I wish my high level gun skills did a bit more for me.
    The first game had some tech issues, but I was able to get around them or they were much more identifiable (don't open that pack unless you want to crash...) whereas this game is entirely inconsistent.

With some patches or some community love, this game will be the best of both worlds.

Level twenty-three and counting,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
    5. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 29, 2010, 12:25 Ray Marden

I am a PC gamer primarily - but only because of the current market ant not by virtue of it just being a PC.

It's just like being a Windows gamer - I don't hate Apple (though its marketing and supporters are fairly insulting,) but I'll game on either platform that exceeds at the price/performance/abundance ratio. Hence, I game on a Windows system.

Looking at PC gaming, it really is stagnating in a lot of ways. There is less and less technological innovation, the GPU market really makes no sense, it is still plagued by technical issues, it's turned away from certain genres, it has a really questionable price to performance ratio, etc.

From my (gaming) perspective, its saving graces are the keyboard/mouse control, the storage, the stronger digital platform, having the ability to achieve the top end performance, and the ability to tweak a wide range of options.

Really, in t a lot ways, it's that last item that I particularly cherish - why don't more games, let you change your keybindings, adjust the graphics settings, adjust the sound levels, etc?

The thing is that consoles are improving at a much faster rate than the PC market is. If there was a day that I could easily, consistently play my consoles with a keyboard and mouse at a native 1080p, have the ability to customize a lot of things, and consoles were a little more indie-friendly, I think I might start questioning why I keep spending so much on a more technologically advanced, but often more stagnant platform.
    Consoles were a joke 10 years ago, but they're now mini PCs.
    Loving the PC, but not seeing it change much,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer, Date
    2. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer, Date Oct 29, 2010, 12:01 Ray Marden

At best, it's a budget release for me. In all reality, I am more than content to skip it entirely.

The first game had some the best PC FPS combat I have played. But looking back at the end of that game, I never thought about going where the sequels have gone. but the second and third games (much less the expansions) went in a completely different direction.
    It turned into a bit of a generic shooter with heavy-handed, hokey scare tactics.
    Wishing the original team had kept the rights and made the sequel from the start,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Digital Presales
    4. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Digital Presales Oct 28, 2010, 17:38 Ray Marden

This is a good idea in general, but anybody really concerned about the time factor will be picking it up at midnight (12AM EST, not 3AM EST) and this is only the standard edition.

Otherwise, my only concern would be launch day activation/downloading of the launch day files. Blzizard has always skimped on its downloading services and I would certainly see some issues on day one.
    Not, you know, that the servers won't be down atll day anyway...
    Sadly getting two CE editions at midnight ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - The Ball
    7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Ball Oct 26, 2010, 17:45 Ray Marden

I am definitely interested, but I am waiting for a demo to see how it plays/feels.

It certainly seems to have good word of mouth, but it looks like every other U3 game, I'm curious how the mixing of puzzle elements and combat works out, and babysitting a ball seems like it could become a bit boring/frustrating.
    Or just a ton of super positive reviews.
    Probably going to buy it, but wanting to test out the gameplay first,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
    14. Re: etc. Oct 25, 2010, 09:11 Ray Marden

He really limits his speaking appearances and there is a lot of work that goes into making them look as good as possible - there is the obvious editing, but he pre-loads on various medications as well.

Otherwise, given his general physical condition, I could see him maybe wanting to do this for fun, but it not being greatly rewarding from a financial sense and especially not worth the physical hassle.
    Here is to hoping the game is decent.
    Having more and more bugs and crashes with F:NV now ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
    80. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 20:39 Ray Marden

Ummm...wow, absolutely wow, amazingly wow!

I tried fiddling with various settings and I could never get something that didn't feel off. And I don't think it's a hardware issue - my system is more than capable of playing this game and I had similar results from high settings to low settings.

Then I dried the d3d file - I launched the game, it scanned my system, I went to the settings area and hit the "Ultra" quality button, I set my resolution to 1920x1200, and I started the game...

Smooth as butter - I didn't notice any issues and it reminded me of playing F3. I took some screenshots between the two settings and the differences are minimal. The lighting has been tweaked slightly and it looks like you might lose a sliver of precision at the farthest reaches (and that's at 1920x1200.)
    And I was swapping back and forth between the screenshots.
    It doesn't work for everybody, apparently, but that drive makes it play like a completely different game.

Huzzah,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
    56. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 12:41 Ray Marden

I'm running a 5850 and the framerate has, more than being low, been really inconsistent. No game holds a rock steady framerate, but the animation/movement feels really inconsistent. Whether I play at 1920x1200 ultra high quality or something like 1024x768 at low settings, I see no change in this. I was worried that it was just me, but I'll have to look into the file that has been discussed in other posts.

Otherwise, my only gripe is the $%@#$%@#$% mouse controls. My default most settings work fine in Windows/WoW/other games, but I need to tweak them immediately when I play New Vegas. Even then, the initial menu responds completely differently in-game and the X/Y axis seem to have different rates as well.
    I miss the EZ mode of the magazines, too.
    Otherwise enjoying the game so far,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
    5. Re: layoff the von daniken and stitchin next time Oct 20, 2010, 18:03 Ray Marden

I beat AC2, but only by playing it for, say, 30 minutes at a time and then quitting. Just sitting at my computer and playing it straight through, I'm sure my brain would explode with one or two hours due to the simplistic, repetitive gameplay.

Then you had that ending...
    Space gods represent!
    I have absolutely zero intentio of buying this next game. It just seems like more of the same and they didn't even bother to change the setting much, to say nothing of the gameplay. I'm definitely good for at least a year.

Wishing they focused more on the gameplay and less being hip,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
    55. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 16, 2010, 02:06 Ray Marden

Yes, we know. That is the entire point of this announcement and news item.

It is also why we are mad...
    No, I do not want fries with that. KTHX.
    Noting the asterisk mentioniong the 01/11/11 date,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
    20. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 12:50 Ray Marden

I just love that the entire point of the first game was to build your own character, begin the epic story in a new world, create your own origin....................and now they're all about tossing all that to the side and having you play a pre-defined character.

I wasn't dying to play this game (I did enjoy DA, but I have a lot of issues - none of which they seem to be working on in this "sequel,") but forcing a pre-order, forcing a two-month pre-release pre-order, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They better figure out a way to amaze me in the next eight weeks or so or I will make a promise to EAware to specifically not purchase the game.
    DA is still the successor to BA, right? Right? Lulz.
    Glad that the pre-cut DLC is ready to go three months ahead of release! ,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > EA Bashing
    32. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 13:07 Ray Marden

It's a double standard, though - try to report things and you just become a thorn that disappears one day. You sit there and take it and it literally drives you crazy.

And now, because this person is so irritated and has so many blatant failures to point out, they get written off and their actual irritation is used as a tool to show just how crazy they are.

In all cases....real issues go unaddressed and massive politics commence!

The sad thing is that this sounds like my own company (hence my own craziness.) I'm in a completely different industry, but it's really sad and scary that some truly psychopathic people work out there. And I'm not sure why so many companies work this way - I guess it's the almighty search for money at all cost - but communication, teamwork, and accountability frequently seem to products of a bygone era...
    And the more I rant, the crazier I seem.
    Learning to play WoW all over again,
    Ray

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2010, 17:31.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
    33. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 19:10 Ray Marden

Eh, farewell to one of the older developers.

Personally, I only loved the early Raven stuff - Hexen, Heretic, and up to SoF.

From there, they just kind of made the same game over and over. They were a company that you gave a title to if you wanted to have a competent, if not generic, release in a year or two.

They wouldn't even really put out a "crap" game, but what game of the last ten years did I particularly enjoy? Uhhh....

Otherwise, I don't think they did SW justice, they went stereotypically "console" with all that X-Men stuff, I thought Quake 4 was particularly generic, and I almost think of Wolfenstein and Singularity as two halves of the same competent, generic shooter.
    Q4 sucked. I bought it for $5.00 and still couldn't play it to the end.
    Guessing I should go back and finish Wolfenstein at some point,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders
    10. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 01:36 Ray Marden

It depends on the title, but Lamestop likes to play games with the inventory more than nearly any other big games retailer. I particularly love when, prior ot the shipment even coming in on a given day, they would confirm that no non-preorder copies would be available.

Then again, we're talking about a company that is being structured around turning over used games...
    Steam + Amazon Prime = Win.
    Having long ago grown tired of the company's games,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

6558 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 24.
    < Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo