Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6561 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
23. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 07:31 Ray Marden

I would argue it is a bit of everything.

First off, is this truly a sequel to DA, one that adds depth and richness to the story, world, and gameplay? Not really - it is a more action focused game with an expedited development proces.

Taken as a new game without the DA name, is this game utter trash? Not at all - it is a blending of RPG and hack and slash focusing on some of the best points from each genre.

Is this the sequel that honors DA? Not reallh - you know how the first game was actually a bit light on depth, but you know all that focus we spent on having your create your character in this new world? Gone. You know the tactical combat focus? Scaled back. The size of the areas? Scaled down to a corridor. Party AI? Still broken. Art/world? Recycled. Did you expand the world now that we're past the origin bit? We pulled a Witcher and dumped you in one city. Dialogue? Scroll wheel!

Looking at the reviews, is this one of the greatest games ever developed? Absolutely not; it's probably an 8/10 when viewed as a new type of game and it should be rated lower when judged as a DA sequel. You'll see the hardcore/elitist people just bash this game in rather silly, obvious ways. In contrast, you'll see the PR effect on some of the popular sites - these are reviews that take one fight and tell you an exaggerated play by play without ever actually critiquing the game or sites that don't give you much of an impression, even mentioning a few faults/inconsistencies/scaled back items, but then immediately reversing course in the final summary by telling you this is the greatest game ever!
It's the lack of any substance contrasted with the statement of greatness.
Waiting on the $20 price tag or the GotY edition,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access?
66. Re: EA Forum Bans Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:14 Ray Marden

Nin,

I find your post to be disrespectful of EA. You will be reported and I will ensure you lose all access to the games you have paid for.

...or the the company could be completely insane.
Along with being jerks.
Shaking my head,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2011, 18:31 Ray Marden

Bring it, you compound-dropping, pop tart-eating, 3DFX fanboy!

Now, an all-marshmallow cereal...
Slowly (or not so slowly) dying inside while waiting on B3 stepping MBs ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2011, 17:43 Ray Marden

Screw Cap'n Crunch - it breaks into various hard, sharp pieces (relative to other cereals,) is slow to absob milk, and tastes like random chemicals.

Good riddance!
Where is an iceberg when you need one?
Thinking 'Loops and 'Jacks are similar, but not as bad,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:05 Ray Marden

The only problem I have is that BioWare has basically released a similar style of game for a number of years now. At least with DA, it stated it was attempting to follow up on what it did with BG...

Of course, that game had a long development time (for various reasons) and now it, too, is heading back toward that one type of game BioWare makes.

Which is fine if that is what the enjoy, but I am already getting a bit bored with them. I can't control this? I can't go there? Combat is just this one thing? This is the blatantly good choice and this is the blatantly evil choice? My party is weak/useless? Not too much exploration? This is blocked off? This is scaled back? Okay...

If they keep heading this route, they may as well include the year in the title. I'd make a pun-tastic EA joke, but they're already owned by the company.

It leads back to my question for BioWare. It is not "wrong" if they do not want to, but does anybody at the company want to go back to making those types of games or some new type of game? Or will it just be the corridor-combat RPG company?
NWN started it...KotOR, JE, ME, DA, and all the sequels in between.
Waiting for the GotY edition,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared
19. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:54 Ray Marden

Obviously the game will look better on PC, but the engine brings quite a bit of visual punch to the 360 as well. If somebody has only a console, it is not like they will be suffering immensely because of it.

Given that it is only a $200-$300 console whereas I am reading reviews of a $700 AMD card today, I am having one of those moments where I express my love for PC gaming, but also admit to some of its insanity...
To say nothing of its cooling and sound levels...
Hoping tit's a skewed perspective of two (widescreen?) videos side by side,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 18:17 Ray Marden

But you are kind of proving the point by going on about harder combat (or at least a buffing system for combat.)

Now, I admit there is a large group that somehow defines RPGs by their tactical combat, but my idea of a good RPG is going to be a combination of great control/customization, a deep story, my ability to affect the world, some type of character growth/leveling, and having to make significant choices.

Back to DA2, I am susprised by how much they've changed it, but we all know why they're doing it. However I am disappointed by this.

Personally, I had my issues with the first game, but it was an origins story - now null and avoid - and I told myself that it was a good commercial blending of old and new. However, even if naively, I always take the approach that this is what is needed to draw in the new or young gamers, giving them a blend of both worlds, and then we can increase the depth/challenge/intelligence/mature ideas in the next game. In contrast, games seem to make a small nod towards the original games and then immediately strip them down to more and more simple forms in subsequent releases. Most frequently with more guns, tits, and explosions.

DA2 is hardly the spiritual successor to BG. However, the demo makes it look like it isn't much of a sequel to DA:O. In the meantime, I will wait the year so I can buy this at a discounted price and with all the DLC as the full game.

Wondering if anybody at BioWare cares about making deep RPGs anymore,
Ray As an action RPG, it isn't that good of one...

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Mar 5, 2011, 16:56 Ray Marden

If you want them, get them. You can always make the argument that you're "sticking it" to Ubi by only paying a small percentage of the original retail price.

If it is cost/package issue, Amazon is effectively price matching the pack; three of the games can be downloaded for $3.99 each and one is $2.00. If you only want one to three of the games, it's technically a better deal.

Having picked up DS2 yesterday for $24,
Ray Now for Bulletstorm to get to $20.00 somehwere...

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

12. Re: Phantom Menace in 3D Mar 4, 2011, 17:50 Ray Marden

Well, the 2D Blu-Rays are right around the corner...

To say nothing of the 3D theater re-releases...

Which obviously need their own 3D Blu-Ray release...

To say nothing of additional changes he can make to the movies now that technology has further improved...or the terribad cartoon...or the live action show...or making the last three of the nine movies...or.......................
SW was neat back in the day, but Lucas has killed my love for it.
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Mass Effect Speculation
10. Re: Mass Effect Speculation Mar 4, 2011, 12:15 Ray Marden

Yes, the majority of the game is collecting companions.

As for DLC, that will be your personal choice. Most are just weapon/armor/visual packs. The one or two companion DLCs are ~$10 for one hour of gameplay. Oh, wait, they offer more of the amazing, fantastic wonderful, joyous planet scanning as well.
I hope that person is fired now.
Even if you are DLC hungry, I would suggest waiting for one of the inevitable sales.

Noting that any continuation of the Liana story costs some cash as well,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > PCGA on PC Gaming Growth
3. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 21:33 Ray Marden

Well, I think PC gaming might have a more mature digital distribution model, but the consoles aren't far behind. In addition to their being the primary focus of the general gaming industry as a whole, you have three different companies that are all championing their own versions of console-specific distribution.

Having said that, I don't think the PC gaming market is doing much to help itself. The GPU market makes no sense, there are still ongoing tech support issues, piracy is an easier target on the PC side of things, a huge amount of money is going to a single game based around grinding (WoW,) first time users are still left in the dark, a lot of the games are crap ports (even if it is only a side effect of the bigger issues,) etc.
I love PC gaming, but it isn't cost effective nor is it a polished experience.
Noting the absurdity of the PCGA's own statements...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details
13. Re: Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details Feb 28, 2011, 13:15 Ray Marden

Graphics looks like a strange, silly juxtaposition, but it will ultimately come down to the gameplay.

They made a lot of bad tweaks with SS2 and I hope the feel and gameplay are more in line with the first games.
I hated, hated, hated, hated those football players.
Having enjoyed the HD rereleases; not interested in playing SS2 again,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
40. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 26, 2011, 10:21 Ray Marden

Why not do both?

They took out something from the two games that were released...

They replaced a system that generally worked well with one that frequently bugged out...

They replaced a relatively dynamic, player-controlled approach with a relatively constrained, pre-defined approach...

Thinking that is not how I would spell "win,"
Ray Unless you spell the work with a "y," I guess. Lulz.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2011, 10:42.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
23. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 13:31 Ray Marden

From as much as we can gleam from one crappy photo, it looks promising. So long as they can maintain similar gameplay to the two games that were released, this could be fun.

Please no AC gameplay, I wouldn't mind the disappearance of glinting, create some large/unique/vertical environments, and...maybe...just maybe...bring back my rope arrows and let me remember how to climb up them!
Huzzah!
Hoping it doesn't become an action game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo
126. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 25, 2011, 05:55 Ray Marden

I would question what we're looking for on these boards, at least from a critique standpoint.

I have four gaming systems and play a wide range of games. Certainly, I've played amazing games and I've played utterly terrible games. Likewise I've played everything in between. For most/all of these games, I can "tolerate" them or even find good points. However, I can just as easily cut away the fat and find numerous faults. Likewise, having such a wide range of games available, I find that something just being "okay" doesn't necessarily equate to a purchase.

Because of the wide range of games I have played and that I have access to, I frequently want the absolute best game, something that offers some component that is relatively unique/well done, or something with a very good price to worth rating as determined by any nymber of factors.

Shifting perspective back to Blue's, I don't want to just know if a given game is "okay." I'm sure they generally all are. But I am interested in the above items, discussing the mertis/shortcomings of a game, and generally dissecting what the industry produces.
I do think SV enjoys fighting and insultins people, though.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > PC Fable III in May
10. Re: PC Fable III in May Feb 25, 2011, 05:43 Ray Marden

I wouldn't say Fable 2 is great, but I would definitely say it is interesting. I has a charm to it and screams out about never realized potential.

But then you play the third game and see the strange things they focuses on, the major items they ignored, and the established items that were made worse.

From that perspective, F2 is deeply flawed, but an interesting experience.
But yes, childish and simplistic. Quite confused as well.
Noting that no RPG fan will be blown away,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > PC Fable III in May
3. Re: PC Fable III in May Feb 24, 2011, 21:13 Ray Marden

It's a flawed series, but if you are even remotely interested, buy the second game and skip this one.

They refined a number of things, but then pitched the story out the window and made the relationship aspect extremely tedious (a true feat in and of itself.)
Still a game with big promises and questionable execution.
Wishing Molyneux spend more time on designing than talking,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer
39. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 24, 2011, 18:54 Ray Marden

I am certainly far more interested in this than DA2.

My only nitpick is the environments which all seem a bit similar and/or unoriginal.......but there really isn't too much you can do with swords and dragons. Regardless, it is a TES game which means hours upon hours upon hours of gameplay.

I think Oblivion was a fantastic step in the right direction and, like others have said, I hope they continue improving the combat balance, leveling aspect, and manage to make it feel like a vibrant world.

Eyeing the 6950 line for my next upgrade...,
Ray You know, once I can get a hold of a #$!$@% SB motherboard...

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo
54. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 22, 2011, 21:51 Ray Marden

I'll have to try this again on the weekend when I can give it my full attention.

I'm not sure what technical problems people are having, but it was fine on my system. Well, little pauses between cinematics and gameplay and my warrior was a bit slow/stupid in switching targets, but it was stable under DX11 and high quality (game would not let me select very high quality.)

Otherwise, I am not impressed so far. Upfront, I always had issues with DA - it certainly is not the spiritcual successor to BG and it didn't have much meat to it once you took out the "origin" story (made all the more obvious by ME2 being the same game, but in space, and their being completely dropped from this game) - but I cut it a lot of slack because it was the start of the series and I rationalized as a hybrid of old and new.

But this demo, it's okay, but it doesn't feel like anything special. There is some disconnect by not creating my charcter, its mindless action, the warrior is way over the top, things are way too easy, you get the teenie bopper adrenaline rush cinematics of killing all the big monsters, the interface feels more minimalized than streamlined, leveling up is clunky if you do it out of the order the game wants, your brother is an obtuse stereotype, the art introductions make me feel disconnected from the world, etc. Lastly, I know I can adjust this in the menu, but I really hate the damned default camera and movement controls. I may go to hell for this but, WoW does it a lot better.

I wasn't going to buy this on day one period because of the BS with the EAWare "Sorry, you're a filthy pirate - even if you purchase it on day one - because you didn't preorder three months in advance. No DLC for you!" However, the early reviews all came out great so I was hoping I was just being a pretentious fool and would eagerly await the GotY edition. But after playing the demo, at least initially, I'm thinking $20 entry point.

Maybe there is a really good game in there, but the initial impressions this demo gives are all bad ones. It just plays like a rough, not particularly pretty, third-person Diablo clone in some generic fantasy land.

Like I said, I'll give it another spin later this week, but this is a mediocre demo. Just as DA wasn't BG, DA2 doesn't feel like DA. Who am I? What did I learn? How did this come about? What new culture is there to experience? What personal look for my character can I create? What new tactics/AI/gameplay is there to experience?

I'm looking for these things and more, but all the demo offers me is "Dude, shut up! ZOMG, i'm totally 1337! RARGH! Hellz yeah! EAT MY KICK ASS SWORD, BIZNITCHEZ!!!"
I can definitely wait this one out no problem.
Disliking the demo, but not sure what to make of the game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Risen 2, Art, Subtitle, Details
7. Re: Risen 2, Art, Subtitle, Details Feb 21, 2011, 14:25 Ray Marden

Or heaven forbid they work on the story and gameplay instead of trying to increase the graphic quality...

More than anything, I wonder how well firearms will really play out in this game. Combat has always been a major weakness of their games (compounded with there being a large amount of mindless hack and slash) and I cannot help but wonder how well this will play out.

The day the game bugs and suddenly and entire town is angry at my character and are sharpshooting him with pinpoint accuracy from a mile away with a pistol...game over.
Or the day a crab kills me with a shotgun in a cave...
Alternately, I could see them going the Fable route in which case there is a question of why even bother in the first place?

Skeptical,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6561 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo