Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
30. Re: Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch May 1, 2011, 16:47 Ray Marden

I guess we will have to wait and see, though I am obviously quite skeptical.

Is no DM only or no MP period? id is sort of turning its back on the one game mechanic that it was remotely successful at. Also, though I am not a proponent of this, a certain segment of the market cares solely about mindlessly killing one another over and over, all dressed up in the latest graphics package.

On the other hand, ditching MP for a game built solely around SP makes sense. For a deep, robut, or heavily scripted SP experience, this makes a lot of sense. Many of thest "best" games I have played have been SP-only and they either had no MP component or had ones that were obviously tacked on and ultimately weak or pointless. However, id has routinely failed at making a strong SP game - there is the lasting joke that it makes the engines that other companies use to make good games with - and I cannot say Rage has impressed me as a particularly unique or deep game thus far.

Co-op is certainly nice, but it does bring a lot of gameplay challenges with it. Did id take the time to personally tweak both the SP and co-op stories or did they go the much more simple route of having fairly generic, non-defined sequences that can readily be inter-changed? Again, looking at my skepticism of all things id...but we will have to wait and see. However, co-op is really built more around the experience of two people than the game itself. id will need to heavily support the community, though, else this will be prone to limited play throughs just as a SP game is.

I still cannot shake the feeling that this is ultimately a prettier Borderlands, but I am hoping id proves me wrong and this is a really amazing experience. With the removal of DM/MP, it certainly better be.
Not, you know, that they will not just market the hell out of it either way.
Having finally started Alpha Protocol; getting cut on all the rough edges,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 18:58 Ray Marden

Keep an eye on retail then. I picked up Wolfenstein from Amazon six-plus months ago for a flat $10. I haven't been following the game since then, but it certainly gets discounted on a frequent basis.
Admittedly, you have to step away from Steam for a moment.
Thinking it was adequate, but nothing special,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Announced
23. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Announced Apr 29, 2011, 18:21 Ray Marden

And if you don't have the game yet, Lamestop is selling the console version for $40 and the PC version for $30 starting tomorrow.
Good luck finding a Lamestop that stocks the PC version, though.
And K-Mart will have the console versions for $35 next week...

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. I think, coming from a few puzzle rooms with a short story tacked on at the end that was tossed into a multi-pack release, they made a phenomenal push at making the sequel a true "game."

If I had one gripe, it was just regarding the pacing/progression. Loading up Portal 2, I was ready to see what could be really done with this world and, outside of five minutes of story, I was dropped straight back into puzzle grinding. There was nothing wrong with that, but I did have a small "That's it?" moment with regards to the story.

From there, I was thinking it was just going to be puzzles when the second round of puzzles started growing the story element. I probably enjoyed this portion of the single-player game the most - we were starting to see new mechanics in (relatively) harder puzzles coupled with nice bits of story.

At that point, I had reached the top and I was expecting further progression...but then it just kind of went back to some more puzzles. It was just like "Before you can beat the boss, do a third round of puzzles." Then you just do the puzzles and aim for the moon in regards to how quick you can kill the boss. And any more story? Nope, you two and done and gone. Likewise, I think they could have spread out the new items more from start to finish so you were always dealing with something new around the corner.

Lastly, I realize they had a significant uphill battle, but that was the best song they could come up with? I'm glad to be alive, but it would be great to be humming an equally memorable tune as well.

For those that want only puzzles, I think that's probably the hardest thing for them to focus on. With the new tools they gave us, a lot of rooms would be stupidly easy if the ability to use them was not limited to select areas. After all, look at how easy one room was with only some white paint.

Returning my lemons,
Ray

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2011, 18:27.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 DLC This Summer
44. Re: Portal 2 DLC This Summer Apr 28, 2011, 13:03 Ray Marden

Also, keep an eye out on deals...

Amazon ended up price matching the other retailers by giving Portal 2 a $35 launch price. Additionally, it ran an earlier promotion where you received a $20 game credit if you preordered. Effectively, the game cost me $15 so it was quite the steal.
Did I mention no tax, free shipping, and release day deliver, too?
As for console players, Lamestop is supposed to be discounting it to $40.00 this weekend.

Not sure when last time was that I actually paid full price,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 DLC This Summer
12. Re: Portal 2 DLC This Summer Apr 27, 2011, 20:56 Ray Marden

In addition to what the others have said, this will obviously be more grear for the robots and more levels....
They'll "find" all the missing levels.
Wondering if they will try anything beyond that,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Apr 23, 2011, 06:28 Ray Marden

I am saddened that any on this board would even contemplate using the "under" style of deployment!

For going "under," what are the benefits other than the apperance? Because it's one thing to defecate, but another to defecate within view of one free-hanging paper square? Is that one small, white square truly so garish?

In contrast, "over" excels for what the roll is designed for - easily spotting, grabbing, and tearing of sufficient paper product to wipe my anus.

When performing my process, I want to quickly, effectively accomplish the goal. Never have I been thinking "Gosh, why don't I make this harder just so I don't have to see one sheet of paper for all the non-defecating moments I spend in this room."
For a routinely used item, why hide it?
Thinking the only thing worse are people that use wet wipes,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fable III PC Trailer
3. Re: Fable III PC Trailer Apr 22, 2011, 21:29 Ray Marden

What a joke.

PC controls? Higher resolution textures? Adding the burden of item repair? 3D mode? Bragging about including a dog skin?

Meanwhile, they're totally ignoring the various, numerous, plentiful, abundant gameplay flaws.
It shows how out of touch they are and why F3's gameplay was so bad.
Hoping somebody can save the Fable franchise,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
9. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 22, 2011, 20:55 Ray Marden

I just beat it a few minutes ago and loved it. From a critical viewpoint, I might argue some pacing issues...but I otherwise had a blast with it and will be playing through it again this weekend with the commentary.

Regardless of what this site does, they are going to whore out DLC for this game like crazy. In addition to the existing store, they threw in so many new toys at the end of the second and third rounds that there are endless possibilities. Heck, tweak a few of the new items and you open up even more options.

I hope this series doesn't end here, though a heavy DLC focus may dampen my long term appetite for more. Regardless, even if I do walk away, I am extremely happy that it will not be alone...
I missed you, buddy!
Waiting on The Witcher 2 now,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam
13. Re: Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam Apr 21, 2011, 13:26 Ray Marden

Honestly, this is just two companies trying to out-screw one another.

So charts are bad? Which is why Valve won't support ELSPA? By not submitting the charts...it already maintains itself.

Or is Valve now claiming that it has no idea what its sales figures are? That it doesn't report sales figures to publishers? That is is not tracking overall digital distribution trends? That it isn't comparing those numbers against retail sales?
PCs are leading the DD transition, but don't surpass console total units.
In summary: Derp derp derp and derp!

Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Portal 2
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 12:45 Ray Marden

Nin, I am left handed and use a right-sided mouse.

However, that is no excuse for using reverse mouselook.

Go take your pop tarts and 3DFX cards and sit in the corner...
For shame!
Noting this is not a left hand-friendly world,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 18, 2011, 18:22 Ray Marden

Great, now Stephen is requiring 5 posts per user per day to move forward the page update time...
Mmmm...Portal 2.
Unable to resist,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Nears
7. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 18:06 Ray Marden

Eh, it looks like I won't be playing much until Wednesday at this point due work...and raiding! So sad.

Hopefully this unlocks much earlier than expected for people - I haven't been watching the other games as much, but The Ball is suddenly making giant leaps forward every few minutes...
Too bad there weren't demos for the two indie games I did look at.
Off to play the dishes game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:12 Ray Marden

Retail purchasers, 360 players, and PS3 users won't benefit.

In contrast, I am tired of PC players getting releases months (year?) after the console version. From a purely selfish perspective, this works in my favor. From a general perspective, my argument is against staggered releases rather than selective releases.

The obvious counter is how this is a digital release which cannot be held to the standards or complications of a retail release. Of course, I then question why the completed game isn't out now or why I am getting the retail version for a significantly cheaper price...

With some modifications, this could have been an amazing advertising drive. As it stands, it still benefited Valve and the indie developers, but I don't think it did a lot for the gamers. In general, I think there were so many obvious, minor corrections that could have been made that I question the competence (or perhaps just the intent?) of the current system.
Selfish me would consider things in completely different ways.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:06 Ray Marden

I realize this is unrealistic to the corporate world, but I would have loved if the Portal-themed portion of the indie games were released for free (at least a very, very minor charge.)

I would love to play around with the Portal world, it would get me more hyped for Portal 2, and I would get a taste of what the indie games were like.

Otherwise, I was already purchasing Portal 2, a weekend release of Portal 2 never materialized, and I did not have any incentive to try out the indie games I have previously not shown interest in.
I have more games than I can play - entice me somehow to buy more.
Just waiting for my Tuesday delivery at this point,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
95. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 18, 2011, 12:56 Ray Marden

We obviously have some different beliefs, but if you believe your perspective is right, do you think the "You all suck" approach is going to change anything?
In contrast, are peoples' complaints being addressed?
Thinking I can easily educate ignorance, but I can't easily stop hatred,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On PC Fable III
6. Re: On PC Fable III Apr 17, 2011, 18:38 Ray Marden

At least for the 360 version, his points are spot on.

The story from the previous game is turned on its head...there are some major, jarring transitions...weapon selection is much more limited...and you win the game simply by stopping the main story to save up enough money before you continue on. Further, the socializing system in the second game was clunky, but the third game makes it a much more tedious, singular experience that is not remotely worthwhile.

From the second game to the third, for every one thing they improved, they went backwards on two other items. Barring any major PC-only fixes to the gameplay, anybody interested in Fable should stick to the second game only.
Not that I hold any weight with SV either - what don't we disagree on?
Noting that plentiful options without structure is not always good,
Ray

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2011, 20:05.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

67. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 10:57 Ray Marden

I think the projected launch is the official release date. I believe (am hoping?) that the progress bar is far more significant.

Looking at the progress bar, it should unlock Monday morning.
Then again, some games seem particularly stubborn in moving.
Thinking I will probably pick up Cogs,
Ray

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2011, 11:13.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

60. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 09:18 Ray Marden

Beamer, I can appreciate what you are trying to say. At the same time, too, I would argue your post is the most hateful, dark thing I have read out of all the various comments and threads.

Yet again, I think it is a matter of perspective. Yes, I have a significant gaming background; am I at fault for that? With a market that has more games than I can play in a lifetime, I want to grab either the best games period or interesting, flawed games with a good price to fun ratio; am I wrong for that?

Lastly, I view this as a gaming news and discussion site. I don't view this as a PR site. I dont' view this as a pro-industry site. I don't view this as a pro-player site. I view the forums as a general discussion site with a heavy focus on games and technology.

In general, I come here to get an overall view of gaming news/updates, I then seek out the small stories talking about the fringes of the industries or relevant to the cutting edge of research, and then it's all about the games from there. At that point, I am interested in what stood out (I loved this game, but...I hated this game, but it did this really well...this is new/interesting...game aside, I cannot believe they tried this new thing...) and discussing it.

Blah blah blah...I certainly have to take your post into account to question how much of what I say focuses solely on the negative or my frustration with a singular focus on maximizing sales over all other components. Having said that, let me reiterate to you how angry and insulting your post came off.

Yes, at the end of the day, we need to have fun. Yesterday, I put in a rather sad amount of time in WoW, Crysis 2, The Ball, Portal, and Enslaved. Meanwhile, I am incredibly excited to play Portal 2, The Witcher 2, and (shut up ) Duke Nukem Forever. If I do fall under your seemingly negative view of the majority, please note that I can vehemently decry the things I dislike or which make no sense (from a gaming or fun perspective,) though admitting their financial success, and all while still having fun in gaming.
Also, I grew up when videogames were discovered - not made by committe.
Off to play a game right now,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

58. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 08:53 Ray Marden

It is certainly an interesting approach, but I would still have some concerns over how this affects the non-PC, non-Steam players - we generaly hate when consoles get a priority release over the PC; is the answer really having the PC receiving priority release over the consoles?

Lastly, though I concede this is currently more significant to the more mature digital distribution system available on the PC, at what point does the concept of "release date" disappear in digital distribution?

"Hey everybody, it's done! All the seeds were put in place in the last hour. They all have the final product that is complete and ready to go. But...uhh...just wait for fourteen more days, nine hours, twelve minutes, and forty-four seconds."

This advertisig campaign aside, two of the more significant items are that Valve has Steam on the PS3 and that it began toying with the release date for the digital version of a game...
Valve just fired another shot in the DD vs. retail distribution war.
Noting our discussions over this while people die in wars, to radiation, etc.,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

30. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 00:07 Ray Marden

...to say nothing of how the digital version of their own game is going to cost nearly 30% more than retail.

Otherwise, there are numerous ways they could have made this better - not having a countdown to a countdown, starting the GLaDOS@Home website much earlier, reducing the requirement(s) to unlock the game, and running an indie promotion that ties into/with Portal 2 instead of dangling a release of a completed game over PC/Steam purchasers.

I am getting Portal 2 regardless. As for the indie games that I do not already have, tying any potential purchase I might make to a (now) at best one day early release was not the way to get me to play them.

Honestly, a lot of those games look like clones of other games I've played, but with less polish and worse graphics. But maybe I am wrong - I considered trying out a few games, but the games I looked at did not even have a demo. That's another common sense approach that would do a lot more in potentially getting me to purchase such a game...
If anything, it's made me frustrated with Valve and these indie developers.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo