Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6558 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 17, 2011, 19:29 Ray Marden

They definitely don't know how to do a downloader. I launched it today and it lost track of my file - I had to go to the website and tell it to re-download the file, though it did thankfully pick up from where it stopped.

Overally, it's taken approximately one hour for it to compile the file, do two separate integrity checks, and install the file.

Also, the install option never worked once it was compiled; I had to manually run the setup.exe to have it install. Luckily, I had no corruption so everything "worked" after all, but some poor users on the forums are having even more serious issues.

I'll finally be able to give it a whirl now, but they definitely need a new downloader.
I mean...really?
Hoping I get decent performance on my ATI card,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
23. Re: Gabe Newell Interview May 16, 2011, 07:59 Ray Marden

Valve is succeeding financially for now, but Newell's statements are cause for concern given their focus.

Excluding jokes, where does he stand on Half-Life? He has no problem bragging about the company, but what of speaking to their utter failure at maintaining episodic releases? What focus is placed on making product for the end user? Keeping the customer fed with a steady diet of great gaming as the primary focus? Lastly, though this is expected from a financial standpoint, he definitely comes off a bit as a "the grass is always greener on the other side..." type of person.

Valve is succeeding financially, though how much of that is from quality game releases and not from controlling Steam or from DLC tchotchkes? Every now and then they seem more arrogant than hungry and that generally does not bode well for things in the long term.
At some point, people need to stop talking and actually doing something.
Shrugging,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 08:19.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 May 16, 2011, 07:33 Ray Marden

Brink turned me off early on with its visual style and some light previews I read. Looking at the reviews now, it seems to fall in that 70%-80% range with a real love/hate thing going on.

From reading the reviews, it sounds like the good points have matching bad points to go along with it. It might have more of a niche appeal on the multi-player scene, but I do question the overall lifespan given the current reception. By the time everything is fixed, if they do fix everything, how many people will still care?

I am mildly intrigued by the game, but I certainly would rather play a fully patched game and I have no intention of paying full retail for it. Additionally, I would much rather be playing The Witcher 2 or even testing out something like L.A. Noire instead of this. As others have noted, this type of game will live or die by its community and it sounds like it needs to do quite a bit to be more than a short term fad or grow beyond a niche.
Maybe for $20.
Moving on until I see a great sale price,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2011, 17:40 Ray Marden

It wasn't meant as a contradiction - just more griping about the lack of actual "new" content.

For the first part, to their financial benefit, they are just recycling content with minimal tweaks. However, most of the player base - or at least I am - are looking for more original "new" content. Today's raids are just tomorrow's heroics...

For the second part, I was sarcastically commenting on this practice. The existing content boils down to stuff I am locked out from running again, I have run repeatedly, that offers no points or gear, etc. Obviously, I want new content, but I was pointing out that Blizzard's definition of "new" is just "really old" content.

Yes, there are two "new" 5 person heroics - they are slightly tweaked versions of the "really, really old" Zul'Gurub raid and the "really old" Zul'Aman raid.
In summary, QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ.
Wishing gear was more distinctive than just two foot tall shoulder pieces,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2011, 17:00 Ray Marden

In general, the issue is Blizzard.

Poor support?

Still unable to balance between PvP and PvE?

States you should bring the player, but then stacks certain fights heavily, heavily in favor of certain classes?

Still one of the worst forums on the internet for new players or obtaining information?

Still no real story?

Let the prior expansion become an AoE fest and then tried to make this expansion go back to utilizing crowd control?

But then immediately let people to back to AoE clears?

Poor in game information to educate new players on mechanics?

Content recycling, recycling, recycling, recycling, and recycling while being the biggest game out there?

Slow to address problems that the community takes all of five seconds to discover and which it immediately points out to Blizzard, first to be insulted and only later to quietly be addressed weeks/months later?

Inconsistent guidelines, tweaks, and priorities?

Blah blah blah...I like many aspects of the games, but Blizzard's culture is probably the single biggest negative out there. It has refined a number of things in the past, but I certainly get the sense that they are either putting all their focus into Titan or are simply resting on their prior successes.

From my perspective, what are my options in WoW today? Run the same boring, limited raids? Run the old normals for the useless Justice Points? (Not that I could anyway due to the hard cap.) Run the old heroics for a small amount of Valor Points that I currently have no use for? Run the new heroics and deal with the bad loot, longer length, imbalanced CC requirements, and questionable PuGs? (Which will then make me hit the weekly cap.) Maybe I can go do my twenty five dailes - quests specifically designed to be "work" inside of my game?!? Hoping they rerelease some older content, just with the damage and health numbers tweaked for the current levels?
FFS, how long will it take to give us significant character customizations?
Completely avoiding the second biggest negative; internet egos,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
38. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 15:25 Ray Marden

I was just joking about that one. Looking at my original post, I made a point of not counting that Crysis 2 credit.

As far as I am concerned, I paid an "equivalent" rate of $15 for Portal 2. I conceded the "future purchase" aspect, but given the number and frequency of my purchases, I am routinely generating and subsequently burning away credits.
Sheesh, you two have no sense of ironic humor.
Knot thhat duhm,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

31. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 13:31 Ray Marden

A couple of things were at play:

1. Amazon initially had a 10% discount for the PC version, putting the sticker price at $45.

2. As part of Amazon's price-matching guarantee or pre-orders, it will always give you the lowest Amazon price (which fluctuate constantly) from the time you place your order to the time of shipping.

So I pre-ordered at $45...Amazon matched the retailers at $35 within the last week leading up to release...and I had free release day delivery (meaning it shipped overnight the day before) for being a Prime member. Toss in the $20 game credit and I paid an "equivalent" of $15.
I was happy at $45 with the $20 credit. $35 was just icing on the cake.
Technically, I only paid an equivalent rate of $5 since I had a $10 credit from purchasing Crysis 2, but I won't bring that up.

Tending to get new stuff from Amazon and older stuff from Steam,
Ray

Edit: Looking at "good for retail" Steam, did it make any effort to remotely match this pricing? Or even the ~$35 retail pricing? Not in the slightest.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 13:46.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

29. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 13:12 Ray Marden

But that's $78 ($6.58/month) to Amazon for, collectively, some free VoD, free two-day shipping, discounted same-day shipping, no sales tax, free release day delivery on preorders, and sub-twenty four hour customer support. Additionally, Amazon pushes a wide range of deals - combo purchases, hourly discounts, daily discounts, spontaneous sales, and increasingly larger and larger preorder discounts.

Case in point: I had Portal 2 at my residence when I got home from work on the day it came out for an equivalent total of $15 ($35 price minus $20 credit for preordering.)

What did retail offer me? Higher equivalent price? Limited PC inventory? No PC version unless I preorder? No PC retail space period? Higher priced used games? Taking days to stock a game? More space devoted to used games than new games? "New" games that have already been opened and played? A consistent lack of preorder bonuses due to limited stock? Much more resistance to discounting? Sales tax? Gas and time obtaining the product?

Meanwhile, Steam is not good for retail. For whatever relative spikes it may cause when advertising a given game, it has already taken a significantly larger portion of overall sales from retail. If there was no online delivery, where would I be purchasing my games? At retail, of course. In contrast, with Steam and Amazon Prime available, why do I ever go to retail? Only in the rare exception where it has a better deal or my wife wants to make a spontaneous purchase.
How many jobs will be left for us when everything is digital?
Wanting to shop retail, but feeling mistreated by retail,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced
29. Re: Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced May 5, 2011, 19:10 Ray Marden

I played the first two games, but I am tired of the Desmond and Ezio storylines as well as the repetitive gameplay.
Yes, even with the aliens/gods thingie at the end of AC2.
I thought the first game was heavily flawed, but the second game did make quite a few tweaks to fix a lot of things. However, through both games, I found the gameplay a bit simplistic. Toss in the stupid item collection and I feel like I have played everything this series has to offer.

Thus far, I have skipped the third game. People keep on saying it's the "perfection" of the gameplay, but it just appears to be a lot of the same stuff over and over. And now I see another game with stupid Ezio? Oi.

Thinking I will wait for a big online discount on the third game,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 5, 2011, 19:46.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Specs
33. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Specs May 3, 2011, 22:28 Ray Marden

The death of 3dfx was one of the best moments for gaming.

"Sorry, you have a vastly superior card, but we only support the special 3dfx renderer..."

Yeah, thanks. But no thanks.
Good riddance.
Kicking dirt on its grave,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Osama is dead; US has body May 1, 2011, 22:56 Ray Marden

Good riddance.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-bin-laden-killed/story?id=13505703

-Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
30. Re: Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch May 1, 2011, 16:47 Ray Marden

I guess we will have to wait and see, though I am obviously quite skeptical.

Is no DM only or no MP period? id is sort of turning its back on the one game mechanic that it was remotely successful at. Also, though I am not a proponent of this, a certain segment of the market cares solely about mindlessly killing one another over and over, all dressed up in the latest graphics package.

On the other hand, ditching MP for a game built solely around SP makes sense. For a deep, robut, or heavily scripted SP experience, this makes a lot of sense. Many of thest "best" games I have played have been SP-only and they either had no MP component or had ones that were obviously tacked on and ultimately weak or pointless. However, id has routinely failed at making a strong SP game - there is the lasting joke that it makes the engines that other companies use to make good games with - and I cannot say Rage has impressed me as a particularly unique or deep game thus far.

Co-op is certainly nice, but it does bring a lot of gameplay challenges with it. Did id take the time to personally tweak both the SP and co-op stories or did they go the much more simple route of having fairly generic, non-defined sequences that can readily be inter-changed? Again, looking at my skepticism of all things id...but we will have to wait and see. However, co-op is really built more around the experience of two people than the game itself. id will need to heavily support the community, though, else this will be prone to limited play throughs just as a SP game is.

I still cannot shake the feeling that this is ultimately a prettier Borderlands, but I am hoping id proves me wrong and this is a really amazing experience. With the removal of DM/MP, it certainly better be.
Not, you know, that they will not just market the hell out of it either way.
Having finally started Alpha Protocol; getting cut on all the rough edges,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 18:58 Ray Marden

Keep an eye on retail then. I picked up Wolfenstein from Amazon six-plus months ago for a flat $10. I haven't been following the game since then, but it certainly gets discounted on a frequent basis.
Admittedly, you have to step away from Steam for a moment.
Thinking it was adequate, but nothing special,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Announced
23. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Announced Apr 29, 2011, 18:21 Ray Marden

And if you don't have the game yet, Lamestop is selling the console version for $40 and the PC version for $30 starting tomorrow.
Good luck finding a Lamestop that stocks the PC version, though.
And K-Mart will have the console versions for $35 next week...

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. I think, coming from a few puzzle rooms with a short story tacked on at the end that was tossed into a multi-pack release, they made a phenomenal push at making the sequel a true "game."

If I had one gripe, it was just regarding the pacing/progression. Loading up Portal 2, I was ready to see what could be really done with this world and, outside of five minutes of story, I was dropped straight back into puzzle grinding. There was nothing wrong with that, but I did have a small "That's it?" moment with regards to the story.

From there, I was thinking it was just going to be puzzles when the second round of puzzles started growing the story element. I probably enjoyed this portion of the single-player game the most - we were starting to see new mechanics in (relatively) harder puzzles coupled with nice bits of story.

At that point, I had reached the top and I was expecting further progression...but then it just kind of went back to some more puzzles. It was just like "Before you can beat the boss, do a third round of puzzles." Then you just do the puzzles and aim for the moon in regards to how quick you can kill the boss. And any more story? Nope, you two and done and gone. Likewise, I think they could have spread out the new items more from start to finish so you were always dealing with something new around the corner.

Lastly, I realize they had a significant uphill battle, but that was the best song they could come up with? I'm glad to be alive, but it would be great to be humming an equally memorable tune as well.

For those that want only puzzles, I think that's probably the hardest thing for them to focus on. With the new tools they gave us, a lot of rooms would be stupidly easy if the ability to use them was not limited to select areas. After all, look at how easy one room was with only some white paint.

Returning my lemons,
Ray

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2011, 18:27.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 DLC This Summer
44. Re: Portal 2 DLC This Summer Apr 28, 2011, 13:03 Ray Marden

Also, keep an eye out on deals...

Amazon ended up price matching the other retailers by giving Portal 2 a $35 launch price. Additionally, it ran an earlier promotion where you received a $20 game credit if you preordered. Effectively, the game cost me $15 so it was quite the steal.
Did I mention no tax, free shipping, and release day deliver, too?
As for console players, Lamestop is supposed to be discounting it to $40.00 this weekend.

Not sure when last time was that I actually paid full price,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 DLC This Summer
12. Re: Portal 2 DLC This Summer Apr 27, 2011, 20:56 Ray Marden

In addition to what the others have said, this will obviously be more grear for the robots and more levels....
They'll "find" all the missing levels.
Wondering if they will try anything beyond that,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Apr 23, 2011, 06:28 Ray Marden

I am saddened that any on this board would even contemplate using the "under" style of deployment!

For going "under," what are the benefits other than the apperance? Because it's one thing to defecate, but another to defecate within view of one free-hanging paper square? Is that one small, white square truly so garish?

In contrast, "over" excels for what the roll is designed for - easily spotting, grabbing, and tearing of sufficient paper product to wipe my anus.

When performing my process, I want to quickly, effectively accomplish the goal. Never have I been thinking "Gosh, why don't I make this harder just so I don't have to see one sheet of paper for all the non-defecating moments I spend in this room."
For a routinely used item, why hide it?
Thinking the only thing worse are people that use wet wipes,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Fable III PC Trailer
3. Re: Fable III PC Trailer Apr 22, 2011, 21:29 Ray Marden

What a joke.

PC controls? Higher resolution textures? Adding the burden of item repair? 3D mode? Bragging about including a dog skin?

Meanwhile, they're totally ignoring the various, numerous, plentiful, abundant gameplay flaws.
It shows how out of touch they are and why F3's gameplay was so bad.
Hoping somebody can save the Fable franchise,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
9. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 22, 2011, 20:55 Ray Marden

I just beat it a few minutes ago and loved it. From a critical viewpoint, I might argue some pacing issues...but I otherwise had a blast with it and will be playing through it again this weekend with the commentary.

Regardless of what this site does, they are going to whore out DLC for this game like crazy. In addition to the existing store, they threw in so many new toys at the end of the second and third rounds that there are endless possibilities. Heck, tweak a few of the new items and you open up even more options.

I hope this series doesn't end here, though a heavy DLC focus may dampen my long term appetite for more. Regardless, even if I do walk away, I am extremely happy that it will not be alone...
I missed you, buddy!
Waiting on The Witcher 2 now,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam
13. Re: Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam Apr 21, 2011, 13:26 Ray Marden

Honestly, this is just two companies trying to out-screw one another.

So charts are bad? Which is why Valve won't support ELSPA? By not submitting the charts...it already maintains itself.

Or is Valve now claiming that it has no idea what its sales figures are? That it doesn't report sales figures to publishers? That is is not tracking overall digital distribution trends? That it isn't comparing those numbers against retail sales?
PCs are leading the DD transition, but don't surpass console total units.
In summary: Derp derp derp and derp!

Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6558 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo