Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed
80. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 18:52 Ray Marden

I watched the video of GameTrailers and this seems like a joke, if not for the fact that it is real.

What to say? In a "game" that is primarily focused on the multiplayer component, in a fairly straight forward deathmatch obsessions, they are actively charging the community a fee for maintaining the actual community.

If the pull this off - which I suspect they will given the lack of any appetite for sophistication by the MoH/CoD/BF players - what will not have a separate charge?
Is it truly an experience equivalent to Netflix? To a MMOG?
Just waiting for the day where each and every game I own has a monthly charge,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 31, 2011, 19:02.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders
1. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 14:04 Ray Marden

Meh - this is all smoke and mirrors. They may honor more recent reservations, but the long, long ago canceled my preorder of the game.

This is just PR speak for "We will sell you this game.*"
"Better yet, please come back in a week and we'll sell you the used version.
Sadly anticipating the game ,
Ray

*But if you want the PC version, you will have to pre-order. We try to stock little to no PC games. Especially on launch day.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms
27. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms May 27, 2011, 13:20 Ray Marden

I think there are two distinctions (was it a good game versus was it a good DA game,) but you cannot just write people off for being told one thing, expecting that thing, and being given something else.

If you ask me for an orange and I gave you an apple, you should question me about it. The answer is not just "Screw it; they are both fruits."

They should have made this a different named or themed game. But they did not - they wanted to cash in on the DA name. In that case, they are due all negativity they are receiving.

Additionally, just be honest and say it was a short, streamlined game release with a focus on mass appeal, particularly on the consoles. Again, it is one thing to make a decision and another to outright lie about it.
It speaks to his arrogance or ignorance. Neither is good.
Still waiting on the $20 version,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
11. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 18:07 Ray Marden

I don't know about the manual patching, but it says the Steam version should auto-update:

For the Steam Version of The Witcher 2, please use the Steam auto-patching system.
Auto-detect fail. 8GB memory, 5950 2GB, and a 4.8GHz i7-2600 equals "low"?
Using the GoG.com version (and the GoG.com-downloaded patch,)
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed
24. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed May 26, 2011, 17:42 Ray Marden

I killed him the first time and the second and third time he teleported behind the barrier. In both cases, the barrier remained and I could not do anything else. I am guessing he is bugging; he is not longer teleporting back into the field, no longer casting bolts at me, not talking etc.

I don't know if it is related, but I am unable to loot the main mercenary guy (I forgot his name, but the "main" mercenary you previously interacted with earlier in the caves and earlier in the chapter itself.) When I ran into my issues, I looked up some guides and they indicate that I should be able to move on once he is dead and that I should be able to loot him.

I am speced into the group finishers so maybe that was the issue? Either way, the patch is here so I'll give that a shot and cross my fingers.
Then I can get the crafting items to make my draug armor!
Wanting to start chapter three,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 26, 2011, 20:37.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed
18. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed May 26, 2011, 13:14 Ray Marden

I will fiddle around with this some more tonight, but I ran into a game stopping bug last night at the end of chapter 2. Heading back to Vergen via the caves, in the room where you fight the wizard and mercenaries, I kill everybody and nothing happens. I am not able to head back the way I cam and the magical barrier is still in place.

I guess I can try going back to a prior save game, but if it reproduces itself, I will have to hope that somebody has a solution on the forum or that this eventual patch addresses this.
Not that I really want to play the past sections all over again...
Waiting,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears
10. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 13:24 Ray Marden

I would like my patterns to actually make the item they say they make, I would like monsters to stop disappearing from the world, and I would love my mini-map to actually follow my character and not go all haywire from time to time.
The target locking could use some love, too.
Having given up on the Troll Trouble DLC; wondering if I can even play it anymore,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
21. Re: Gold - Duke Nukem Forever May 24, 2011, 13:10 Ray Marden

Day one purchase for me. Obviously, the graphics are a little outdated, but I still hope it has some semblance of the fun, humor, and interactivity of the original (2.5D) one.
Balls of Steel edition, too.
I do actually hope that it sells moderately well, too, so that somebody, even if it is Gearbox, can take a more current try at it.

Otherwise, yes, any FPS that is something other than military propaganda is a win in my book.

All out of gum,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Workarounds
16. Re: The Witcher 2 Workarounds May 21, 2011, 06:57 Ray Marden

Their login servers are certinly incapable of keeping up with the demand; that is a little scary for a compay intertwined with GoG.com.

I have not played that far into the game, but there seem to be a lot of little bugs here and there: Geralt has issues with doorways, in-game cinematics have radom people walking through them, I occasioally automatically lose a game before I have even started it, the game occassionally swaps quests on me, quite a few issues with the positional action prompt, rolling invisible dice, having lost an entire level on a saved game, inability to loot items, some side quests not saving their completed status correctly, etc.

Also, though I guess it is intentional, it feels really weird that there is no penalty for stealing. I think you should be able to do it if you are seaky about it, but it's another matter to be standing right in front of a person as you sift through all their belongings and take what you want nilly willy.
Certainly a good game, but tiring when I have to do something repeatedly.
Waiting to see the amazing combat system; just rolling around like a monkey,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 17, 2011, 19:29 Ray Marden

They definitely don't know how to do a downloader. I launched it today and it lost track of my file - I had to go to the website and tell it to re-download the file, though it did thankfully pick up from where it stopped.

Overally, it's taken approximately one hour for it to compile the file, do two separate integrity checks, and install the file.

Also, the install option never worked once it was compiled; I had to manually run the setup.exe to have it install. Luckily, I had no corruption so everything "worked" after all, but some poor users on the forums are having even more serious issues.

I'll finally be able to give it a whirl now, but they definitely need a new downloader.
I mean...really?
Hoping I get decent performance on my ATI card,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
23. Re: Gabe Newell Interview May 16, 2011, 07:59 Ray Marden

Valve is succeeding financially for now, but Newell's statements are cause for concern given their focus.

Excluding jokes, where does he stand on Half-Life? He has no problem bragging about the company, but what of speaking to their utter failure at maintaining episodic releases? What focus is placed on making product for the end user? Keeping the customer fed with a steady diet of great gaming as the primary focus? Lastly, though this is expected from a financial standpoint, he definitely comes off a bit as a "the grass is always greener on the other side..." type of person.

Valve is succeeding financially, though how much of that is from quality game releases and not from controlling Steam or from DLC tchotchkes? Every now and then they seem more arrogant than hungry and that generally does not bode well for things in the long term.
At some point, people need to stop talking and actually doing something.
Shrugging,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 08:19.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 May 16, 2011, 07:33 Ray Marden

Brink turned me off early on with its visual style and some light previews I read. Looking at the reviews now, it seems to fall in that 70%-80% range with a real love/hate thing going on.

From reading the reviews, it sounds like the good points have matching bad points to go along with it. It might have more of a niche appeal on the multi-player scene, but I do question the overall lifespan given the current reception. By the time everything is fixed, if they do fix everything, how many people will still care?

I am mildly intrigued by the game, but I certainly would rather play a fully patched game and I have no intention of paying full retail for it. Additionally, I would much rather be playing The Witcher 2 or even testing out something like L.A. Noire instead of this. As others have noted, this type of game will live or die by its community and it sounds like it needs to do quite a bit to be more than a short term fad or grow beyond a niche.
Maybe for $20.
Moving on until I see a great sale price,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2011, 17:40 Ray Marden

It wasn't meant as a contradiction - just more griping about the lack of actual "new" content.

For the first part, to their financial benefit, they are just recycling content with minimal tweaks. However, most of the player base - or at least I am - are looking for more original "new" content. Today's raids are just tomorrow's heroics...

For the second part, I was sarcastically commenting on this practice. The existing content boils down to stuff I am locked out from running again, I have run repeatedly, that offers no points or gear, etc. Obviously, I want new content, but I was pointing out that Blizzard's definition of "new" is just "really old" content.

Yes, there are two "new" 5 person heroics - they are slightly tweaked versions of the "really, really old" Zul'Gurub raid and the "really old" Zul'Aman raid.
In summary, QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ.
Wishing gear was more distinctive than just two foot tall shoulder pieces,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2011, 17:00 Ray Marden

In general, the issue is Blizzard.

Poor support?

Still unable to balance between PvP and PvE?

States you should bring the player, but then stacks certain fights heavily, heavily in favor of certain classes?

Still one of the worst forums on the internet for new players or obtaining information?

Still no real story?

Let the prior expansion become an AoE fest and then tried to make this expansion go back to utilizing crowd control?

But then immediately let people to back to AoE clears?

Poor in game information to educate new players on mechanics?

Content recycling, recycling, recycling, recycling, and recycling while being the biggest game out there?

Slow to address problems that the community takes all of five seconds to discover and which it immediately points out to Blizzard, first to be insulted and only later to quietly be addressed weeks/months later?

Inconsistent guidelines, tweaks, and priorities?

Blah blah blah...I like many aspects of the games, but Blizzard's culture is probably the single biggest negative out there. It has refined a number of things in the past, but I certainly get the sense that they are either putting all their focus into Titan or are simply resting on their prior successes.

From my perspective, what are my options in WoW today? Run the same boring, limited raids? Run the old normals for the useless Justice Points? (Not that I could anyway due to the hard cap.) Run the old heroics for a small amount of Valor Points that I currently have no use for? Run the new heroics and deal with the bad loot, longer length, imbalanced CC requirements, and questionable PuGs? (Which will then make me hit the weekly cap.) Maybe I can go do my twenty five dailes - quests specifically designed to be "work" inside of my game?!? Hoping they rerelease some older content, just with the damage and health numbers tweaked for the current levels?
FFS, how long will it take to give us significant character customizations?
Completely avoiding the second biggest negative; internet egos,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
38. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 15:25 Ray Marden

I was just joking about that one. Looking at my original post, I made a point of not counting that Crysis 2 credit.

As far as I am concerned, I paid an "equivalent" rate of $15 for Portal 2. I conceded the "future purchase" aspect, but given the number and frequency of my purchases, I am routinely generating and subsequently burning away credits.
Sheesh, you two have no sense of ironic humor.
Knot thhat duhm,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

31. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 13:31 Ray Marden

A couple of things were at play:

1. Amazon initially had a 10% discount for the PC version, putting the sticker price at $45.

2. As part of Amazon's price-matching guarantee or pre-orders, it will always give you the lowest Amazon price (which fluctuate constantly) from the time you place your order to the time of shipping.

So I pre-ordered at $45...Amazon matched the retailers at $35 within the last week leading up to release...and I had free release day delivery (meaning it shipped overnight the day before) for being a Prime member. Toss in the $20 game credit and I paid an "equivalent" of $15.
I was happy at $45 with the $20 credit. $35 was just icing on the cake.
Technically, I only paid an equivalent rate of $5 since I had a $10 credit from purchasing Crysis 2, but I won't bring that up.

Tending to get new stuff from Amazon and older stuff from Steam,
Ray

Edit: Looking at "good for retail" Steam, did it make any effort to remotely match this pricing? Or even the ~$35 retail pricing? Not in the slightest.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 13:46.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

29. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 13:12 Ray Marden

But that's $78 ($6.58/month) to Amazon for, collectively, some free VoD, free two-day shipping, discounted same-day shipping, no sales tax, free release day delivery on preorders, and sub-twenty four hour customer support. Additionally, Amazon pushes a wide range of deals - combo purchases, hourly discounts, daily discounts, spontaneous sales, and increasingly larger and larger preorder discounts.

Case in point: I had Portal 2 at my residence when I got home from work on the day it came out for an equivalent total of $15 ($35 price minus $20 credit for preordering.)

What did retail offer me? Higher equivalent price? Limited PC inventory? No PC version unless I preorder? No PC retail space period? Higher priced used games? Taking days to stock a game? More space devoted to used games than new games? "New" games that have already been opened and played? A consistent lack of preorder bonuses due to limited stock? Much more resistance to discounting? Sales tax? Gas and time obtaining the product?

Meanwhile, Steam is not good for retail. For whatever relative spikes it may cause when advertising a given game, it has already taken a significantly larger portion of overall sales from retail. If there was no online delivery, where would I be purchasing my games? At retail, of course. In contrast, with Steam and Amazon Prime available, why do I ever go to retail? Only in the rare exception where it has a better deal or my wife wants to make a spontaneous purchase.
How many jobs will be left for us when everything is digital?
Wanting to shop retail, but feeling mistreated by retail,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced
29. Re: Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced May 5, 2011, 19:10 Ray Marden

I played the first two games, but I am tired of the Desmond and Ezio storylines as well as the repetitive gameplay.
Yes, even with the aliens/gods thingie at the end of AC2.
I thought the first game was heavily flawed, but the second game did make quite a few tweaks to fix a lot of things. However, through both games, I found the gameplay a bit simplistic. Toss in the stupid item collection and I feel like I have played everything this series has to offer.

Thus far, I have skipped the third game. People keep on saying it's the "perfection" of the gameplay, but it just appears to be a lot of the same stuff over and over. And now I see another game with stupid Ezio? Oi.

Thinking I will wait for a big online discount on the third game,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 5, 2011, 19:46.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Specs
33. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Specs May 3, 2011, 22:28 Ray Marden

The death of 3dfx was one of the best moments for gaming.

"Sorry, you have a vastly superior card, but we only support the special 3dfx renderer..."

Yeah, thanks. But no thanks.
Good riddance.
Kicking dirt on its grave,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Osama is dead; US has body May 1, 2011, 22:56 Ray Marden

Good riddance.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-bin-laden-killed/story?id=13505703

-Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo