Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching
12. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 21:18 Ray Marden

I think it is a lot of little things, really.

I average a ping in the range of 25ms-30ms, but it is not uncommon to notice small items here and there - abilities that don't respond, characters ths show up in one location and then teleports to another, etc.

All that said, the game just launched and this is not a-typical for any MMOG. The only points where it really, really sucks is when you are trying to get some of the more difficlt datacrons. My wife and I had one today where we were both able to routinely get my Jedi Sentinal to make the required jumps (on both systems,) but her Jedi Sage took us a good half hour or so to complete (again, on both systems) because her toon seemed to have some type of issue with this specific jump.

Otherwise, some of the mechanics just need to be tweaked. My toon is built around a buffing mechanic that takes 4-5 mobs to build up the focus (combo points) for, but this is counter-intuitive to the rest of my burst damage moves and/or how quickly enemies die. Further, though I am not yet max level nor have I raid geared, I miss a lot. Given how my character is built around mechanics similar to energy and combo points, missing frequently can throw off my entire rotation. Just from a "WTF" perspective, some of my most devastating moves rarely - rarely - ever hit their targets.

But outside of datacrons, noticeable lag is not significant, at least not on my server. Note, though, that some of the server populations are out of whack - on nights where my server has no queue, I have see other east-coast servers with two-plus hour queues. I would imagine performance issues are more significant on those servers.
Now, to just tweak the UI a tad...
Edit: A lot of animations and smaller items are pushed to the local client, but the servers can lag now and then. When comparing our two screens, every now and then they will show completely different positions of various items.

Down to the last handful of quests on Nar Shadaa,
Ray

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2012, 23:07.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic Stats
28. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 16:35 Ray Marden

My initial impressions stand - they brought the single-player RPG aspect (at least in KotOR terms) to the MMOG world, but there has been no reason to interact with anybody yet.

The combat is okay, though inferior to WoW's, and I still have no idea what the end game will be like. We're level 22 right now so we have access to the space ship which has helped open up the world slightly, but the planets feel a bit confined and, though fun for the first handful of times, the space combat ends up being another grind.

I will not stop raiding in WoW, but I want to play ToR during non-raid times and I actually have an idea of what my character is doing while leveling unlike any toon I have in Azeroth. More than anything, they need to make a number of fixes and tweaks right now - the AH is cumbersome, slicing has broken the currency values, some professions are complete money sinks, combat mechanics are not entirely clear, quest rewards are all over the place, harvesting frequently beaks companion AI, a number of (non-heroic) quests are resetting themselves, quests that don't show up today are magically available tomorrow, taxi cabs/anchors are placed chaotically, at least half of all the archaeology spawns cannot be looted ($@%$#,) etc.

Long term end game is still the unknown. These games are based around grinding to a certain extent, but I am concerned that ToR might enjoy the grind a bit too much - gear up your main, gear up your companion, gear up all your companions, gear up your ship, grind out commendations, grind out commendations per planet, grind out light/dark side, modify every gear piece, modify every gear piece with a handful of different items, gring out credits for mount skills, grind out space combat, etc.

We really are having a blast leveling up, but other than playing once on the Empire side, we are still not sure what we would be doing after hitting the level cap. With the low player population on each shard, there being no real need to ask for help from other players, and the limited communication and grouping options, we are not really interacting with anybody, not making any friends or acquaintances. I definitely care about my character's leveling story, but I don't feel any connection to the overall world.
Again, give me the leveling of ToR and the raiding of WoW.
Loving and hating holocron hunting,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On The Old Republic Queues
42. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 23, 2011, 10:40 Ray Marden

I hate EA, but this is also the smoothest launch (from my limited perspective) that I have experienced to date. As for the queues, there is something really broken with how they are assigning the players or they forewent basic caps. I have yet to experience any queue during peak hours though I can attest to there being low population servers while others list queues of 3+ hours.

As for the game, just as in the beta, I am enjoying it so far. I care more about the world in this MMOG than any other I have played to date and I definitely feel like this is a continuation of the generic KotOR model.

I am still low level, though, so all my concerns remain - will there be an end game, does the game ever really open up to a vast universe, will professions ever be a primary focus, can they keep up with constant content updates, will they streamline the UI, will the improve group questing/instancing, etc.

I have various hopes for where this will go, but if nothing else, I am expecting to play through the game twice, Republic and Empire respectively, for a quasi online/group/single-player game. As to whether or not I actually remain subscribed to the game, it all depends on what there is to do. For now, I raid (only) in WoW and then go play ToR for an enjoyable game. Ultimately, I wish there was a game with the combat/raids of WoW and the story/gameplay of ToR.
ToR's endgame will decide its fate, else I am awaiting Titan.
Finding the Diablo 3 beta somewhat plain,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 22, 2011, 13:30 Ray Marden

I hear it is a good game and I typically like Zelda games, but I am so apathetic toward my Wii that I have not purchased the game.
Plus Skyrim rules all.
Guessing that I will wait until it is half off or so,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 22, 2011, 13:06 Ray Marden

Eh, it is not bad, but really more of an evolution with some hope of a bright future sprinkled in.

I am building a new system in January and I don't see myself touching that in any way. I wouldn't pick this for a single card setup and there are cheaper dual-card setups. Not that I could get this anyway since it is a paper launch for the most part.

I guess I was looking for some great price to performance ratio, but this is not geared towards this. I am getting a little tired of some of the ongoing issues with ATI drivers as well so I will see if I can wait out Nvidia. If anything, I am more interested in future versions of the card.
It's hard to justify $500+ cards when PCs are held behind console capability.
Still not sure what CPU I'll toss into the new system,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 17:07 Ray Marden

I take the confused, lazy route of an agnostic.

But...most of the religious options seems really convoluted whereas the scientific process appears to be trying to postulate, test, and prove what any of this is about.

If the idea of a heaven/higher power disappears, people are on their own and need to make it work. Currently, they treat one another in fairly crappy ways and, I believe, really need to appreciate this time and world significantly more than they do. Without having religion as a personal crutch, I end up being accountable for my actions and this is cause for significant amount of introspection and/or personal awareness.

If there is a higher being, somethinig I can still admit is technically a possibility, which one is it? Either 99.9999% of the religions have it wrong, showing the insanity/naiveness of the followers, or these gods are fairly commong and do not really seem to do much. Is either groups willing to accept its stupidity or common status?

On a direct route, how does this god thing work out anyway? Why does it so oftenly have a penis? Why are the historical gods jokes, but the current era gods absolutely true? Why all the contradictions? The hatred? The common wish for a destruction of life as we know it (rapture?) Why doesn't it do more to help? If the fault is our own making, why is it not held accountable as the creater? What of all the painful, hurtful, sad, inconsistent things in a designed world? Why the lack of evidence and proof? Why the finite views centered around forced belief rather than study and gained knowledge? Why the frequent hypocrisy of the presented beliefs? Why is such a good thing the cause of so many deaths?

Too frequently, I see one just claiming it "knows" something just because and seems to completely disregard facts and proof to the contrary of any aspect. In contrast, the other side says "F*ck if I know, but we ran some tess and this is what happened - there appears to be law that says XYZ will happen, but we'll test this further if this is proven incorrect or somebody has a further expaned idea that we can prove."

I do think life is really special and I want all of it that I can have. Should it end, I do hope that there is this fantastical place I can go to where my past loved ones are, but I have absolutely no proof of this and there appears to be more evidence to the contrary. But at the end of the day, I really do not know much about anything - nor does anybody else for that matter - and I would like to look into all these things and determine the facts in place of blindly believing things, even more so in the face of contradictory evidence.
This is not far removed from the "Are we the only life in space?" question.
Typically saying I am agnostic in general, but aethiestic towards Earth religions,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Blizzard Introduces BattleTags
31. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 16:32 Ray Marden

Outside of blatant class or mechanic imbalances, the game has never been truly hard to play.

Now...getting 9 or 24 other people in a group to work cohesively, that is a daunting challenge.
Note that they gave up on 39 other people.
Not really caring about our respective e-peens,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Blizzard Introduces BattleTags
30. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 16:28 Ray Marden

This is typical for Blizzard. Rather than admitting fault with what it has done or giving players what has been requested, Blizzard goes off on a tangent and creates a whole new problem.

My only real issue with Real ID is that it uses my legal name. It is my legal name, I admit, but is not the name I go by day to day, note the name people know me as, not the name I play games under, etc. I just wanted a way to have a unique name that identified me across all my accounts which I could create, presuming it met any guidelines implemented by Blizzard. "Ray Marden" or my main character's name would have sufficed.

Now, Real ID still shows my legal name, you can use Real ID to reverse engineer the legal names of other Real ID friends' own separate Real ID friends, Blizzard is intentionally promoting the creation of numerous fake names, there will be two competing identification systems from the same company, and now even the single name I am forced into using on Real ID can nearly be spoofed by anybody else.

GENIUS!
Morons.
Off to play ToR,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > PC Alan Wake Announced
28. Re: PC Alan Wake Announced Dec 14, 2011, 17:59 Ray Marden

Well, that is one way to burn your fans...repeatedly.

I actually liked the game, though I felt it was a bit repetitive and/or combat heavy. Additionally, the ending, though certainly expanding the world, potentially crapped on everything you had done to do date.

But...I held out for the PC release for the longest time and finally beat the 360 version when I was $10 or $15. I really do not have a wish to play it again.
Yeah, about all that Windows hype...
Shaking my head at the lost opportunity,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > The Old Republic Early Access Begins
39. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 17:55 Ray Marden

I got in and am about to give it a whirl...

However, EA's early support has been a total joke to date:

• When the servers go down, it tells you that your password is incorrect instead of saying it is down or unable to connect.

• They had a poor explanation of how the system would work - if you have already registered your product, you just need to wait until they "unlock" your client for the free play. However, the account page tells yhou that you need to enter a code and set up a subscription.

• The e-mails went out before all the (selected) accounts had been swapped to early play. I got the e-mail and tried to play, but was told to get a subscription. I tried to subscribe, but it told me that I needed to enter my product code. I couldn't enter my product code because it had already been entered under my account...

• Customer service was MiA for the first few hours afer e-mails went out.

• Even with all this, I still need to come back on the 20th to activate my already registered account and to set up my subscription. Heaven forbid they let me do that now while they are rolling people out in waves. Note that the website is frequently down.

• On a side note, my wife only got her Origin The Sims 3 Black Friday deal some five days after ordering. She had to do two chats and one phone call to get it resolved. The first two told her to wait and even the third one questioned her about this, stating that the order had gone through. Sure enough, when he logged into her account, he could not account for why the games were not there and had to manually add them to her login.
    Morons.
    As for ToR, I am curious to see where it goes. It really is an online version of the single-player game, but that is also its weakness. If I had to make a random guess, I would think this is a game that any SW/BioWare fan buys, plays the story to the end/maximum level, and then quits when no endgame is found to exist. I will absolutely play this to maximum level, but the combat lacks the feedback of WoW and the professions and planet-specific grinding seems a bit peculiar. I didn't get far into the beta and I certainly never made it to space, but does the game ever open up into a massively mutiplayer setting?

Annoyed they show you various races and then tell you to make a colored human,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
    10. Origin Sucks Nov 27, 2011, 16:51 Ray Marden

We're going on forty hours now and Origin still has yet to fulfill my wife's The Sims 3 purchase, though we have been charged, we have an invoice, and EA is e-mailing her regarding joining The Sims community.

When we try to contact Origin's pathetic support - which EA has outsourced - we are just told to wait and that the games will show up eventually.

And these yahoos will be running ToR? Oi...
    Yet again, Steam offers a vastly superior product experience.
    Running zero for two in regards to Origin,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
    41. Origin Sucks Nov 25, 2011, 16:58 Ray Marden

My wife purchased some Sims 3 stuff this morning and, 16.5 hours later, Origin still has yet to list the games as being in her owned list even though we were charged and have the invoice.

This is our second time using EA's terrible Origin program and, yet again, it looks like it will take the morons at EA a good day (or more?) to give us access to downloadable game files.
    Or maybe this is the new profit program. Charge the clients for nothing.
    Amazed - amazed - that these fools will be running The Old Reupblic,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
    11. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games<br> Following the critical failure of Rebellion's recent ga Nov 18, 2011, 17:54 Ray Marden

Isn't this like the second or third time Rebellion has aimed to make non-crap games?

I am tired of hearing it and this company just makes bad, crap games - whenever I hear that any game is being touched by Rebellion, I immediately write it off.
    Crap in, crap out.
    Having last enjoyed one of its games back in 1999,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
    27. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Nov 15, 2011, 21:49 Ray Marden

11.10 v.3 was a total nightmare on my system - the lighting was improved in Rage ahd the indoor framerate was increased, but the outside areas would start stuttering and I would only go 10 minutes or so until a crash.

I rolled back to 11.10 v.2 and Rage was fine except for the occasional flicker of a flag. Using the same drivers, Skyrim was relatively stable - only two crash to desktops in 18 hours of play.

Trying 11.11, the framerate is higher on both "High" and "Ultra" settings, though I have noticed spots here or there where, when quickly turning to face them, the shadows actually take a second to move into place (they start a few inches away and then roll into place,) but it has only happened in a few places.
    AMD does seem to suck at drivers these days, though.
    Edit: This is on a 6950-2GB.

Looovvviinnngg Skyrim (and thinking about how much Rage sucks,)
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
    16. . Oct 22, 2011, 15:58 Ray Marden

Edit: Disregard; double post.  

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
    15. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 22, 2011, 15:58 Ray Marden

I finally installed these today and the results are mixed.

The game runs faster, the texture loading updating is significantly decreased, and the lighting works much better.
    This is the first time I would say the game looked good.
    However, I had my very first game lock up with these drivers - I had other graphical issues with earlier drivers, but never a lock up.

Having just purchased DA2 for $8 and Alice Returns for $12 on Origin,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
    119. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 20:43 Ray Marden

Being an id game, I would generally expect good sales.

On a more personal basis, the more casual-style game players I know were less interested in Rage and were instead planning to purchase Arkham City and some game called Battlefield 3.
    They already went nuts for GoW 3 and Resistance 3.
    Mostly looking towards Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and hoping ToR doesn't suck,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

115. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:40 Ray Marden

"Yosemite Sam," the fact that you have to resort to insults speaks immensely of your character and ability to have an adult conversation.

We understand the idea of a megatexture, but we are discussing the obvious trade offs that have been made.

Again, I would assert that there is a distinct lack of variety and depth to the worlds. How much of the game could be written off as a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland. Admittedly, that is broad and generic, but would give people a fair idea of what this game has to offer. Look at how often the game has you replay the same level or how confined and limited the actual playable area is. You want to go on about the unique megatexture, but I would like to actually explore it and play through it rather than have it be blocked off by one of the many, many invisible walls or foot-high barriers.

Yes, the "outside" area can be one map, but the game is further split up into various other areas where you have to load entirely new data...which often bears striking resemblence to the "outside" area you just came from (or is a single room you have no interaction with)...which the game will likely make you play through a few times...which will likely appear to have a lot of unique world but which is immediately confined by the various invisible walls and arbitrary barriers...

Yes, you have a limited selecton of NPCs styles and then some minor variants of them. And what makes them unique? The majority of enemies will stay behind one piece of cover, will not chase after the player character, can be easily sniped with various weapons (other than the sniper rifle,) and even verbally announce their retreat, identifying that you have killed an arbitrary number of enemy NPCs and have essentially cleared that section of the level. Or would you like to discuss the other type of enemy NPC that just rushes you and which is easy fodder for the shotgun? Only the mini-boss battles have much energy to them, but again, they are way too easy and straight forward.

List all the NPCs if you wish. I can talk about how pointless they are, how little they add to the world, how easy the sidequests are, how the story quests are given as an offer when they are mandatory to actually completing the game, how many of them remain in the same place doing the same thing at the same time of the day over and over.

Again, I would make the case for how the graphical effects - of which you stat the game has "all" of them - are actually utilized. I am talking more about the artistic design and gameplay implementation than pure technical mertis. Even for the things you tried to discuss, what of the vast discrepancies in texture detail? The great, yet underutilized vehicle mechanic? The generic shooter mechanic? The lackluster, abruptly ending story? The rough implementation of PC controls?

I am unable to find where I stated "texture looks blocky when I stare at walls, game sux lol." Even if completely imagined, I find it troubling you come to this conclusion after the various points I and others have discussed.

You like the game. Great. I do not think it set any new standards, at least not good ones or without significant, vastly undesirable, trade offs. Nor do I think it is a profound blending of components from other games. I have yet to be blow away by the game. Even when I do see something that looks really nice or which I can see some potential for, one of the game's many rough edges or harsh juxtapositions rears its ugly head.

For whatever it is worth, I have played a number of games and I can think of a number that had better modeling, consistent graphical fidelity, fun, depth, challenge to the shooting, better integration of the vehicle mechanic, shipped with far less issues, had a rich story, etc. Rage is not terrible, but it certainly is not what I was hoping for, not what I believe PC gamers were being sold, and certainly not an amazing game.
    If you think this game is that good, I beg you to go play better games.
    Guessing this post, too, is all about block textures....?,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

80. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 07:13 Ray Marden

But id made a FPS. What was the chance that people were going to look at things up close from a direct, first person perspective? Again, I would assert that id's design was a failure in regards to the technology it was utilizing.

From a broader sense, you're arguing for what? A wide range of low-resolution textures that should only be viewed from ten feet away? Even looking at the argument of variety - which I admit can be a strong one - did id really deliver on this? Do we see a wide range of environments? Graphical effects? Enemies? Fantastic images? A completely original, groundbreaking world? Or is this just a game of brown and gray walls, dust-filled landscape, rocks, and rubble? Great, I have 100 versions of a gray, low-resolution wall. I would have much rather taken 50 higher resolution walls in this case or, putting the resolution issue aside, a true variety of walls: 10 gray, 10 red, 10 orange, 10 blue, 10 graffiti, etc. Further, given how confined this game is, what was the benefit of the so-called variety? Is there no appreciation for the actual gameplay of a game???
    Derp derp.
    At the end of the day, that is my core issue with the tech. Presuming it is ready for today's hardware, did id actually utilize it effectively? Only towards the end of the game do you see *some* inkling of variety. But again, that speaks to a game held back by its technology, a poor game design, and/or an engine that has such a steep learning curve that the game suffered from it.

Thinking the tech trumped the game (yet again for id,)
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

49. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 19:59 Ray Marden

I know this is not a popular opinion, but Crysis 2 looked really good to me. I realize it traded off some things, but the game repeatedly impressed me with its consistently high graphic fidelity.

It saddens me how inconsistent Rage is. Who cares if a few textures are higher resolution if the rest of them suck? Or the modeling is terrible? Or some models were simply disregarded in favor of a crappy low-res texture? Or you replay the same levels over and over? Or the shooting is weak? The story is absent? The game has a strong vehicle system which is only used to quickly go from point A to point B?

Even when looking at all the detail in the world...that is all you will ever do - just look at it. In a lot of ways, id made another confined shooter, but now with a bigger, more detailed sky box.
    What does Rage bring to the table? Some moments of high-res textures?
    Thinking the true lovers of Rage need to play more games,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 13.
    < Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo