Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6561 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Jul 14, 2012, 13:21 Ray Marden

The Alan Wake complete collection was a steal at $10. Even though I have a lot of new games to play, I think half my time has been spent playing Alan Wake again.

It is definitely a much nicer play on the PC; it is a shame it got caught up with console shenanigans and took so long to come out.
Today's deals are kind of "meh."
Enjoying Lone Survivor as well,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jul 14, 2012, 03:55 Ray Marden

Nothing has really blown me away, though I guess that is more due to there being so few games I really want and this sale having a wide range of games on sale, but not necessarily the cheapest historical sale prices, at least not if you keep an eye out on deals across the other sites (Amazon, Origin, GMG, CAG, etc.)

I definitely had to jump on the $10 Alan Wake bundle, though I played the original on the 360. Otherwise, I picked up From Dust, the $5 Tribes pack, and, to fill my day with monotony, Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Otherwise...if anybody was missing a certain release or wanted to get into PC game, this is the way to do it, but everything else I have or have no interest in. You can really tell how good a game is when you see it for $5-$10 and you still have to sit there and consider whether or not you would buy it. Even worse is when you buy a game for $5 and still feel ripped off.
Or going to buy a game for $2.50 and being told you already own it.
Feeling dirty; considering purchasing a Xbox controller for Windows,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 7, 2012, 03:37 Ray Marden

Doubtful, but maybe the employees will actually help people now?

I no longer shop at the company's stores, but at its peak, every Best Buy I went to was filled with employees, few of which would help people

I remember having to wait 15 minutes for somebody to get me a PC game from the back floor while there were groups of 3-5 people just standing around at the front door security/welcome station...standing in line to pick up an online order while listening to employees in the Geek Squad/restricted hardware area insult shoppers in the store...waiting in line at the Santana Row store due to only two registers being opened while the returns/Customer Service department was staffed with five employees - four that were standing around and one that was (no joke) dancing atop the counter...having to ask a second employee to check stock because the first one never came back after 15 minutes...etc.

I could go on about a few other items (not matching BB website pricing, taking years to offer replacement RZ cards, etc.) and the market is making a transition which is not entirely friendly to retail locations, but it always felt like the company's arrogance and laziness was going to catch up with it and doom it at some point.
Or missing in-store pick ups...forced software on laptops...or..or...
Not sure how inflating cell phone pricing even further will help,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Patch
3. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Patch Jul 5, 2012, 20:33 Ray Marden

I tried it for a bit, but it seemed complicated just to be tedious. On one hand, it is really neat that they offer a lot of options. On the other hand, the simple levels and braindead AI are in stark contrast with the game's intended depth.

I applaud them for trying something new, but I would almost say they forgot to include the game component...or at least a fun one.
Opening a door is a multi-step process. WTF?!?
Noting that giving basic information is not the same as hand-holding,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
30. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 18:43 Ray Marden

Initially, this seems like a title to skip, barring it being released for a very small charge amount.

After all these years, they will only re-release it with minor tweaks than remaking it? Also, does the game really hold up that well? I certainly played it at the time, but it always struck me as the Halo of the RPG world - great for the new console gamers, but certainly not a defining RPG, especially not compared to what we were playing on the PCs.
Will the racism be maintained?
Smirking at the massive difference between in-game and cinematic graphics,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Quantum Conundrum Demo
7. Re: Quantum Conundrum Demo Jul 4, 2012, 10:56 Ray Marden

I really enjoyed the game, though it does have some things that hold it back from being terrific. I would give it an 8 out of 10, but a strong 8.

More than anything, I had fun with the game and the four simple dimensions can give you a ton of options. Of course, that is probably what makes this game slightly less focused - the challenge is actually picking up the dimension powers as everything else becomes progressively easier as you obtain more of them. Likewise, you have direct control over four abilities rather than being limited to a single ability or relying on the environment as much as in other games. Assets are reused, but I do not fault the game for this as much since I went in thinking it was going to be a puzzle game of taking on one room at a time.
There is at least one place where you can trap yourself, too.
Overall, I found is much more engaging and less tedious than The Ball, but it does not surpass the humor/focus/design of Portal. I still enjoyed the game and had fun - I would suggest fans of these two other games give it a shot.

Noting the non-ending holds it back as well,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
31. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:05 Ray Marden

My wife liked the game enough that we purchased one account and, after playing in one beta, purchased a second account.

Seeing what the game offers for "free" compared to the games that request $15.00 on a monthly basis (such as Wow which is utterly rotting at the moment) does make me question the worth of some of these other games.
Though, it does push cash transactions like a whore.
From what little I played, I generally liked GW2, though some parts of it remind me of the limited, shallow game that was Guild Wars (at least around release.) In some areas, I felt there was just too much clutter, the map was too artistic in place of being functional, too much loading of zones, a mildly clunky UI, etc.

As for the events, I did not play in the most recent beta, but they felt really broken to me. Yes, there is always something going on, but...often, it felt like too much. I could be in a middle of a quest and my event just seemed to stop for no reason...or I could be in an event and have all my notifications disappear because of alerts pertaining to another event I was not doing...or the repeating of an event that I already did just a minute ago because they're all over the place...or receiving alerts about an event that is clearly on the other side of the map, past a handful of oher events, when I am leveling in a completely different area...or getting inconsistent credit for my effort...or swarms of 20 mobs ignoring 19 other charactrs to single target 1 specific player, instantly killing them...some dynamic events leading to others while others just reset and go nowhere...etc.

On the positive side, you could tell the difference of people getting a reward (or at least no penalty) from working together and there was an increased sense of cooperation. And my issues aside, the game does present a lot of nice, little things to help this feel, at least intitially, like a game that is a bit different than the standard WoW clone. I hold Guild Wars in a fairly low regard, but one beta of Guild Wars 2 was enough to get me to purchase accounts for both of us...

Having found the Charr storry to be extremely lackluster,
Ray

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2012, 19:11.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Quantum Conundrum
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Quantum Conundrum Jun 21, 2012, 20:26 Ray Marden

I put about 90 minutes into it just now and, while it lacks the curiosity and humor of Portal, it seems rather fun. At least initially, it is less about speed than just figuring out the solutions.

It seems like a nice, cute puzzle game which I already do not regret purchasing. For only having four abilities, it really is interesting seeing some of the puzzles that can be come up with and the mechanics do not feel tedious like the one in The Ball. If the setting does not change much or they do not toss in enough solutions twists (akin to learning to double-jump on pads,) I can see this only being "good" rather than "great."
Plus, Ike is cool.
Liking the little little quips during exploration and death,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 15:08 Ray Marden

I think it depends on the type of gamer, at least in a general sense.

Many "core" gamers, myself included, played the various Nintendo brands (Super Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.)

However, I know a lot of casual players that speak highly of the sports games or simply party games like the Raving Rabids line.
Stuff I never cared about.
Owning a dead 360 Slim ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
54. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 19:12 Ray Marden

We're having some fun with the game, but primarily because we are playing cooperatively. My Barbarian is relatively boring to play whereas her witch doctor is entertaining.

Overall, loot seems really broken. I rarely, rarely get an upgrade from my own drops, but I get an excessively large number of demon hunter and wizard drops. Pretty much any upgrades from direct looting come from my wife's witch doctor.

Meanwhile, my charactr is level 29 and it is not uncommon for my drops to get in the level 15-25 range. Then I made the mistake of looking at the auction house - for as low a range as 500g-1000g, I can get at-level yellows with stats that favor my build. It sucks to search through, but it is the way to go. Which ties back into my limited sense of fun - I am playing a loot treasure hunt game where I nearly never get anything useful, but then I go to an AH which just makes my charactr a god.

I realize the graphics will likely hold up longer due to the more cartoon-inspired design, but the areas have seemed relatively flat and boring, at least through the first third or so of act three. Also, can the crafting system possibly be crappier? Really, in three levels, I can gain access to something that is worse than what I am currently wearing? And that is presuming I even get a combination of stats that favors my class? I cannot even level up the gemcrafter until I play through again?

I am definitely getting some enjoyment out of the game, but I think I will be hard pressed to find a reason to play it again.
Not bad, but not great. Too safe in some ways with flawed loot.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 21, 2012, 19:02 Ray Marden

Unless they upgrade the hardware, they are basically releasing a new system that will be comparable to the last generation in performance...

And look at that picture; it is an ugly tablet and it is a real failure as controller.

Looking to the group/family element it tried to aim at previously, the system is obviously not designed for multiple pads - this is easily a single player only system or a limited multiplayer (at the same couch) system.

Is Nintendo expecting developers to make two versions of all the games - one specifically built around the tablet and one for everybody else? Even then, does Nintendo expect that separate version to be the superior lead platform?

Maybe Nintendo will pull it off, but this initially feels like one of its bigger failures. I really wanted to powerful system that did a full 1080P with something closer to a standard controller and, if it was going to stick with the motion control, 1:1 performance. Anyting less and I would rather go with the next Xbox/Playstation/PC setup.
Will this be the first Nintendo console I don't purchase?
Hoping Nintendo surprises me, but not expecting much,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 06:10.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed
17. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 19:13 Ray Marden

Yes, sigh. That will teach me to not check the site in my free time between meetings.

I have changed it to be "...not focus heavily on combat." To me, the series has never been a shooter and the combat elements have always felt out of place and have slowed down the game.

When I think about some of my favorite parts in the series, I think about the first time I saw an area, the time I managed to make a feat of jumps to get a secret, the challenge of beating the timer, etc. Never once have I gone "It was cool when I just jumped from side to side shooting that thing."
Rushing + lazy fingers = fail.
The tipo typo king,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed
8. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 12:48 Ray Marden

I am definitely interested in this one, but I do not really see what they are changing. Or rather, I generally always assumed this was how Lara Croft grew up.

Personally, I wish they would continue the series in new direction, though I realize a remake appealing to tweens is preferred route for most developers. I mean, where are they going to go from this game that does not head down the same general path as all the others?
Give me puzzles and exploration with some new settings and ideas.
Remake or not, hoping it does not focus heavily on combat,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 14, 2012, 19:09.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 07:35 Ray Marden

Data caps do not fix the issue they were publicly stated as being designed for and actually result in decreased service at a higher cost to the end user.

This shill may as well be arguing for outright monopolies; after all, they are "good" for the business' bottom line...
Just like admiting the charge is fake, but that is "OK."
Noting that my cell phone plan is incresing 15% for the same service,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > DARK Announced
13. Re: DARK Announced May 11, 2012, 18:30 Ray Marden

Meh...

The art style looks a bit inconsistent, I am not a big fan of the cell shading, the game is definitely more green than dark, and this really does not do much to sell the game.
What is special about it?
Worse, it makes me think about numerous other games - The Darkness II, Deus Ex: Human Revolution,Vampire: The Masquerade, etc.

Thinking this is just a game about some dude walking around,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc.
25. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 18:25 Ray Marden

The writing was on the wall once Lamestop starting pushing digital keys you would purchase in store and then go home to download a game with. It is really clunky watching them sell a game to somebody and try to offer a little code for another $10-$20.

Also, the few PC games it carries are being pushed to download-only as well. If you find one of the stores that sells PC games, the stand is primarily placards of the box art with instructions on how you buy it in store and then download from Lamestop's website.

/RIP
I was surprised by how much of the console stuff was digital.
Betting it is trying to figure out a way to sell digital warranties, too,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 8, 2012, 18:09 Ray Marden

This would not be such a bad deal if not for the crappy 4 GB HD. Well, that and the fact tht the Kinect sucks.

Due to the HD issue, this went from a potentially great deal to another attempt to screw over the gamers. It is really stupid, too, because the systems are at the end of their life cycles...
Nothing like a console built around downloading with no storage space.
Having just replaced the power supply on my dusty 360 slim,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2012, 17:50 Ray Marden

AT&T's current CEO has released a number of statements primarily focusing on his greed in the past few months - this is just another example.

Our current contracts are up in August and I have already been looking around. The funny/sad thing is that, even with making no change to my plan, I can expect to pay 15% more if I remain with Verizon. With the same exact service.

I looked at a AT&T and, non-shockingly, its rates are equal to what Verizon, its "competitor," is offering. If I want to cut my bill down at all, I need to look at gutting service or trying out one of the smaller carriers.
Wah wah wah! I need the waaaahhhmmmbulance!
Wishing the various phones worked on actually improving call quality,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
57. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 7, 2012, 06:57 Ray Marden

I am not shocked that PB released yet another buggy, mediocre game. the reviews repeatedly talking about this being a worse overall game - again, it fails to significantly learn from and build upon its earlier works. The day this developer closes will be a good day for gaming.
Where is my refund for Gothic 3?
Release day DLC and on-disk DLC is insulting. Very rarely are they anything close to an expansion and then they go from being a cash grab all the way to game breaking/imbalancing. DLC has become a way to push up the price of games that are already being sold for $60.00, to screw over people that do not preorder, and to create special deals with retailers. Where was the focus on the game in those? Oh, right... Most/all of these already have incredibly suspect cost to depth issues and day one releases just compound the matter. Whatever happened to making a good core game, letting people purchase a complete product on launch day, and giving gamers a complete experience? Hell, for $60.00, the developers/publishers cannot even give you the full DVD - they have to steal some of it for their imaginary alternate-team DLC?

And what is PB's excuse? The usual bugs are due to their small size? Then they should be focusing on making a good game with less issues than some crappy DLC. This wasn't from the main team? Given the state of the game, those people should have been working on improving the game. It wasn't taken from the main game? Then how and when did this small team find the time and when was the quality bar set so low than the game was deemed sufficient for launch?

Willing to pay for quality; tired of theft-by-DLC,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer
11. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 01:32 Ray Marden

Well, they certainly know how to create a lackluster first impresssion.

It's just a movie detailing how a website picked its background image with a link to a screenshot of a generic-looking Korean MMORPG. Well, at least that is what it looks like.
And limited to Game Informer? Really?
As everybody will inevitably point out, it is too early to really comment either way on the game. However, I have to question why they thought this was the way to introduce it.

Still waiting for the real reveal,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6561 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo