Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6558 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dishonored
13. Re: Gone Gold - Dishonored Sep 29, 2012, 15:47 Ray Marden

I pre-ordered from GMG for $48. I have enjoyed all of Arkane's games to date, this has some decent people working on it, and looks to be blending some parts from Thief and putting gthem into a steampunk-heavy version of the Half-Life world.

Truthfully, this is the game I am most looking forward to for the rest of the year and I hope it ends up being game of the year.

Otherwise...what else is there to play? Pandas? Another MoH military shooter? Another CoD military shooter? Another pointless AC release? The Doom retread? That crappy Nintendo system tablet?
The made for 'tweens FC3?
Noting most anything else I care about is pushed to 2013,
Ray

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2012, 15:55.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 19:19 Ray Marden

While at work, I completely forgot about them announcing the details today - I think that says more than enough on its own.

It seems expensive for being equivalent to a current-generation system and I cannot help but think that the tablet is needlessly pushing up the cost and weakening the system specs.

Othrewise...why would I want to buy one? Outside of New Super Mario Bros. U, hardly an innovative Mario game, there is not much else of interest: the crappy free game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, the aging Mass Effect game, a multi-platform game, a crappy Sonic game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platofm game, a crappy sports game, a crappy party game, a multi-platform game, some fitness game, some zombie game, and another Scribblenauts game.

Umm....
Compared to my other systems? Or the new PS/Xbox?
Wondering if Nintendo needs to stop doing hardware and focus on games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
1. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 Ray Marden

It is about time - with super cheap mechanical drives and the rise of (much smaller) SSDs, we can finally - finally - direct the location of installations.

I am so glad that Valve invented this on the PC! Oh, wait...
This is nice. About freaking time.
Thinking the cheap, terabyte sized SSDs cannot come soon enough,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
27. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 18:26 Ray Marden

Finally. FINALLY!

A freaking space combat game! By Chris Roberts!

HUZZAH!

Needless to say, I am in. Take my money, please...

Sheddig a tear for Hobbes, the only good wingmate I ever had,
Ray Much better than those hairless apes.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
6. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:10 Ray Marden

$100.00 seems a little high for only a listing, but should be a non-issue for any developer that hast put some work and time into making a decent product.

If you need money to even get started, go to Kickstarter.

Otherwise, the system was deeply flawed. I tried it out last week and there were ~700 items to look at. On top of that, 80% of the items I looked at were either jokes or were so early on that they lacked any screenshots, artwork, or even a video.
Amazingly, every single person promises a fantastic game...
Thinking people had the wrong idea bout Greenlight,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Status Report
25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 19:02 Ray Marden

This game has been blowing me away on a daily basis - for wanting more than a pure raiding grind, this is a fantastic game.

Having said that, I do see how people can be annoyed with the game, rather the state of the game. This game integrates real money into its economy, even if only partially, but the trading post (auction house) has yet to be fully functional.

I ran into an issue with the client crashing on a specific toon, completely stopping me from accessing my main character, and it took a full two days to even get an initial response from suppport. At the end of everything, something went wonky with my client (beta client patched to retail release) and I had to reinstall.

While I was researching the above item, I found numerous people that simply had no access to the game period. None at all. Or constant crashes after the first significant post-launch patch. I was fairly annoyed about my access issues, but I had all my other characters working and had played my main chracter for twenty-four levels. Had I lost all access or had never received access to my characters, I would definitely feel angry.

Meanwhile, where is the community for this game? As far as I can tell, the forums hae yet to be open. Want player input? To read a player FAQ? To promote your guild? To receive help? Share great experiences you've had playing this game? Well, don't do it over at GuildWars2.com.

Yesterday, we went to a launch event that ArenaNet ran for the game - we received a Guild Wars 2 shirt, a Guild Wars 2 poster signed by nine of the development staff, and a code for an in-game shirt identical to the one we received in person.

Well, at least that is what I believe the key on this card gives us - the site to redeem codes was taken down yesterday. It's not the end of the world, but speaks to that "other" side of the game some people are seeing. On one hand, we've played the game non-stop and I love world and design changes they have made, but they can't even get their launch day promotion right - it's one other small thing that is temporarily down while they deal with their launch success, run into bugs that were not found during the betas, try to resolve server issues, etc. But...it just seems like a few things have rough edges at the moment.
Logged into WoW today. Good for its age. But looking old and cheap.
Off to play this very moment,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 08:16 Ray Marden

Did you explore the entire area? All hearts, points of interest, waypoints, skill points, as well as any large areas that seems to exist without one of the above items? Did you do all these in both the starting area and your race's home city? What about Lion's Arch?

Technically, crafting can level you to 80 if you do every profession, but it should help with a few if you stick to your main two.

Are you completely stocked with a scythe, axe, and pick? Gather, gather, gather! This helps with crafting as well as experience. And, no, you don't have to just run around aimlessly doing it, but definitely grab every node as you're going around and going stuff.

Otherwise, do every event you can and realize that a number of them are chains - hang around a minute or two, follow the NPC if he runs off somewhere, and talk to any NPCs that call out to you ("Hey, hey, Creston come here...")

Meanwhile, http://blackmesasource.com/ is ticking away...
Is it 8:47 yet?
Thinking I will be trying out the first dungeon today,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 16:28 Ray Marden

Creston,

Hurry up and get in the guild - I need somebody to harrass all night...

This game does have a rough start - not in the sense of being bad, but just from all the stuff it throws at you and how different it is from the "standard" MMOG.

I played in the beta - I knew I liked it, but I had no clue what the heck I was doing. The second time around, I had a much stronger understanding of what I was doing and the game made a lot more sense. Of course, my main toon is ~25, but things like combos were/are still confusing me (which is why I went to read the Wiki link.)

I have played WoW from day one, but we've discussing not even purchasing the Kung Fu Panda expansion - either way, we're certainly not raiding the same thing over and over again. The new patch came out and I have yet to log into the game to play with the new toys (huzzah for all toons having access to the original Nelft epic mount...)

Meanwhile, I have already purchased three additional character slots in GW2 and and just flat out enjoying always having something to do, having abilities change on the fly at my whim or equipped weapons, the focus on helping one another, enjoying the focus on exploration and finding secrets, the customization, not paying a monthly fee, etc.
MY SUPER CUTE ENGINEER ABOVE AND BEYOND EVERYTHING ELSE! <3
If all you want is raiding, stick with WoW. For everything else - I highly suggest GW2, though it can be overwhelming or just feel really different at first...

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 20:15 Ray Marden

Joining worked in beta, but is barely functional at the moment. If the option even shows up, it rarely activates. I can see it being an early bug or due to overloaded servers, but certainly sucks for playing with my wife.

Also, is there a Blue's News guild?

I am on the Tarnished Coast server as Yarnedram.
Yes, all my names are original. Not.
Off to play,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 18:19 Ray Marden

Definitely worth it - and I generally disliked Guild Wars.

Unique characters, lots of customization, different worlds, nice use of vertical and horizontal level design, always - always - something to do, not so tied into a specific combat rotation like WoW, abilities that vary based upon your weapon, races that are different from one another, a willingness to have fun at times, no monthly fee, heavy on customization (dyes, armor sets, vanity items,) etc.

On the bad side of things, crafting seems a little wonky (or just overwhelming,) it lacks some of precise tactile feedback of WoW, the gem market is barely working at the moment...but that is about all I can come up with at the moment.

Long term, I am not sure if this is a raiding game, but it's a fun game. And for a single purchase? With the ability to spend money on any specific items if and when you want? Most of the free to play games feel lacking and I cannot help but be inclined to further dislike Blizzard for being so lazy and cheap with its development efforts...

Currently loving the game,
Ray The super cute Asura engineer.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2012, 07:20.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 09:18 Ray Marden

Too bad it won't work on my Win7 x64 install. Reading the forums, it looks like it has issues with gamepads, issues with PC installation, does not support 16x10 resolutions, and other incompatabilities.

UPlay is ugly, Ubi still cannot figure out which currency I use, I had a really slow 1MB/s download, and now I have to figure out a way to make its game work.
Did Ubi just reverse-pirate me by giving me nothing, but charging $1?
Edit: As I tried uninstalling, even that has issues. It is trying to delete my users\username\documents\ubisoft folder which does not actually exist - the installer put the files in my users\username\MYdocuments\ubisoft folder. Stupid.

Editx2: Even uninstalled, UPlay is listing Driver as an installed game. Since it shows as installed, it won't let me reinstall it. And since it is actually not installed on my system, UPlay is unable to launch it when I hit "Play." What a crappy company.

Editx3: Worked the second time around - manually uninstalled, manually ran the laucher, ran as admin., and I installed with the gamepad removed.

Guessing the joke is on me,
Ray

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 14:14.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Aug 11, 2012, 23:26 Ray Marden

GG is running its summer sale as well. I picked up Red Faction: Armageddon for $5, but it says that is only running for another 3 hours or so. Otherwise, there are a few other decent/mediocre titles in the $5-$10 range: DMC4, Darksiders, Mafia II, DNF, Homefront, Alice: Madness Returns, etc.

Noting Syndicate is $12 at GG, though a horribly flawed game,
Ray On both a gameplay and technical front.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2012, 01:49.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Aug 10, 2012, 20:55 Ray Marden

Outside of the bank flagging UK charges, GMG is a great site.

It's a mediocre game, but you can get F.E.A.R. 3 from GMG today (Friday) for ~$3 with the coupon and daily sale...
First game is still the only good one.
Fully approving of GMG purchases,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 17:55 Ray Marden

The limited games and pricing do not help them, but I almost think they made a handheld for the wrong market.

I have never - never, never, never - been that interested in the handheld market. If I am at home, I have superior consoles and a PC to play. If I am traveling, I am focused on or entertained by what I am doing. Having said that, if I was going to ever design a handheld, the Vita is what I would want - basically a PS3/360/PC that fits in my hand.

Meanwhile, there is a huge handheld market - people that actively want to play on a smaller handheld without regard for having consoles or a PC - but they seem to want something else. They want a certain type or range of games. They want a gimmick feature that identifies the handheld. They want a quirky version of an existing game. They want games for children.

Unless they make some drastic changes, it looks like the Vita will be a failure, but I think it is a shame since it really is a nice handheld system - about the only one I have ever remotely thought about purchasing.
Though I still have no intention of buying a handheld.
Thinking they could focus less on the touchscreen aspect,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline
1. Re: U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline Aug 9, 2012, 21:25 Ray Marden

Well, end of the current console generation, worldwide recession, abandoning of the physical PC market, overpriced new releases, the number one (game) retailer focusing primarily on used games, the rise of digital delivery systems, etc.
Or rather.../duh.
Been to a Lamestop lately? Talk about a depressing sense of doom...

Thinking the NPD Group, as a retail tracker, needs to die off,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2012, 21:13 Ray Marden

"May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more."

I love LGS - Ultima: Underworld, System Shock, Flight Unlimited, Terra Nova, and Thief?
Far, far better than that crappy company known as id Software
Finding the current generation of games to be lacking in originality,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles
19. Re: Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles Aug 9, 2012, 06:14 Ray Marden

I liked Mafia 2, but it did feel like a bit of a letdown compared to the original game. The world felt a bit smaller because of the strict, linear questline - it felt more like playing a game set in the Mafia universe than leading the life of a Mafia character.
Just scripted quest after scripted quest without exploration.
Here is to hoping they expand the third game and it does not become some over the top action game or cover shooter...

Mildly hopeful,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
36. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2012, 06:43 Ray Marden

I remember realizing that the Saturn was out as I was driving by Toys R' Us and it had a big poster on the outside of the store announcing it was for sale.

Of course...I was not expecting the system for a few more months and did not have the money available to buy one.

Then Sony announced a cheaper price and the initial Saturn reviews were lukewarm - I ended up buying the respective Sony and Nintendo systems and never touched the Saturn.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what to make of the Wii U. A current day system with a tablet? No real focus on improving the tracking of the Wii-mote? With the next Playstation and Xbox systems around the corner? Still without official confirmation of launch price and games? It's the first (US) Nintendo home system that I am considering skipping. It sure looks like it, but I hope this is not Nintendo's Dreamcast moment.

Meanwhile, is anybody happy about Windows 8? I will purdchase the upgrade at the launch price, but I don't intend to install it anytime soon. The PC monitor market has stagnated so I am skeptical about touch screens becoming the future in the market. More than that, that is not remotely what I would have asked for in a new OS. Otherwise, it should not be a surprise that this will be pushed with the next Xbox, but it just means the dashboard will be even uglier and even more of a marketplace whore than it currently is.
Nothing like struggling to find and play a game on the system.
Wanting native 1080p at 60+ Hz with 1:1 motion control and a gamepad,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 5, 2012, 17:02 Ray Marden

The promo is for the weekend and works on most/all titles.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299254

http://wastedonsteam.com/usd/recent_sales/greenmangaming
Friends don't let friends buy games without looking at CAG.
Posting linkage 'r us,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Blood Revival Proposed
28. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 00:56 Ray Marden

I would definitely take a Blood update - just stick with the original game.

As for Shogo, I found it a bit rough when it was released and do not think it really holds up at all. Well, Magic Claw! is still good for a laugh, but that is about it.
It just seems like a really mediocre game.
Wanting sequels to Shadow Warrior, Descent, and Outlaws,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6558 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo