Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray Marden

Real Name Ray Marden   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ray Marden
Email raymarden@gmail.com
ICQ 44585133
Description Would you kindly?

You do not have to agree with me; I empower you to be wrong. :

Steam: Ray_Marden
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 01:15
Total Comments 6547 (Guru)
User ID 2647

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 18:28 Ray Marden

I've been running Windows 8 since the official release day without a single issue. I never tried any of the beta versions, having only watched a few preview videos, and I got lazy - I just popped in the DVD and had it do an install over my existing Windows 7 keeping all Windows and personal files.

One hour later, I was running Windows 8 and haven't looked back. This was the single easiest install of any operating system that I have ever done. And it did not just give me a barren OS; it actually kept everything - all my documents, all my programs, I didn't have to reinstall a single game, I have all my bookmarks, it remembered my user and computer name, etc.
The writer of the "article" seems like a moron with an axe to grind.
Windows 8 is really pointless - it is basically Windows 7 with a neat, quirky start screen that plays like a massive Bing desktop or a massive representation of a cell phone's simplified interface. I will say it is actually fun to have something new to explore or play around with as part of a Windows OS, but it really does feel like something running atop Windows 7 instead of a brand new OS (which, I know, is the opposite of what it really is...) More than anything, I wish the Metro desktop did more - many things can only be done in the Windows 7 app (Metro will kick you back to it) or the Metro version is inferior to the Windows 7 app version (customization, ease of access, handling multiple windows, etc.)

All that aside, it was $40 for the physical product, it is working without any issues, seems to be slightly more responsive, and I was blown away by how simple the installation was. If you want the latest and greatest and want to have a little fun within Windows, give it a shot. You can readily work from whichever desktop you want.

But make no doubt - nobody needs this install. It is not a fully fledged OS. From a functional perspective, it acts like Windows 7 with a quirky GUI/splash screen that can readily be bypassed.

That aside, I am glad I spent the $40.00 to have even one moment of "fun" with the OS. I can't remember the last time I said that about Windows itself...

Noting that Windows 7 (app) is missing the Start button and transparencies,
Ray

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 18:33.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2012, 16:03 Ray Marden

It has a few neat moments, but more than anything, Windows 8 feels incomplete. If anything, it feels like a massive Bing desktop for Windows 7.

Even if you love the new Metro interface, it is very limited - you lost direct access or control over numerous things or other standard things kick you back to the retro desktop. Even for maintaining the Windows 7 desktop, why disable the start menu and transparencies?

Going back to Metro, why are so many things missing or limited? Why do so many of the apps just stay open without an on-screen way to close them? Why is everything sized for a tablet with no recognition of the 27" monitor I have? IE is a good example of this - I like that it defaults to a full screen view, but other things make it less convenient than the desktop version - tabs are not accessible from the main screen, I don't see my favorites until I open a second tab, sorting through bookmarks is inefficient now that each one is an icon that is roughly 1.5"-wide icons, etc.

Windows 8 is fine as an operating system, but there is reason for anybody to run out and get it. It really is Windows 7 with a quirky search/start screen. Until I can do everything I want from Metro, much less in a smart and efficient way, this seems like a half-hearted attempt by Microsoft.
It's a $40 add on pack.
Liking it for being something different; doing most stuff in the retro desktop,
Ray

P.S. If you did happen to buy Win 8 Pro, be sure to get the Windows Media Center while it is free:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced
26. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 18:43 Ray Marden

Great game - it has some rough edges, but it puts to shame a lot of the garbage out there and parts of it make me wonder if I just played the closest thing I could (in today's world) to a Thief game.

I don't know why they are bothering with the challenge pack, but I will definitely look into the story packs if they have a sufficient story to price ratio.

There are some things that prevent it from being a 10+ "perfect" game, most of which have previously been mentioned, but it's such a nice world, something differint from the generic shooter, and it actually lets the player, well, play the game how they want.
On top of everything else, it sucks that the levels are sized for consoles.
Thinking it is one of the top five games I played this year,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dishonored
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 19:27 Ray Marden

Just a reminder, this game is fantastic.

Also, GMG put out a new 25% code (or just extended the old one?) that is good through 12/10/12: GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN.

And take that into account when looking at the prices - Dishonored at 60 funny money becomes 45 funny money.
I put 2.5 hours into it yesterday and haven't done the first mission.
Noting the one exclusion is Xcom,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dishonored
29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 Ray Marden

This really is a phenomenal game. I had other plans last night and loaded it to just give it a spin...and then realized ninety minutes had left.

It is basically Thief, but with swords and magic. There is a very deep, slow stealth game or you can burn through it by shooting at or cutting up everybody. There is an achievement for getting through the entire game without killing anybody and there are also repercussions for killing everybody. The story is mildly intriguing, but the powers and the "other" add some otherworldly elements to it - nothing like walking around with a talking heart in your hand and then swapping to your sword and teleportation ability.

Meanwhile, what a world to play in! The characters, the different routes you can take, the focus on secrets or hidden items, hunting for loot, heavy use of vertical routes, and the overall geometry. On one hand, it is obviously a different, strange world, but it is also a world that you can completely believe you are a part of. It really shows that art design trumps technical specifications, not that it is not a good looking game on that basis as well.

You're here. The objective is there. Kill or sneak. You figure it out.

Last, though certainly different, this game really, really made me think of Thief. Given the troubled development of the new, Eidos-"fixed" game, I did think to myself that this may be the closest I will ever get to having a sequel to Thief and Thief 2. More than discussing any specific detail, that is the best praise I can give it.
I will sink hours upon hours into the stealth game.
Wondering if I mentioned that I love this game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
57. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 18:48 Ray Marden

ZOMG THIS IS THE BESTEREST GAME EVERY IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY AND FUTURE OF GAMES IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!!!!11111ONEONEONE

Joking aside, I already had this preordered (with Steam key delivered today!) from GMG.

I was kind of hoping it would knock it out of the park and hit the 90+ range, but I can live with a strong 85+. I have enjoyed all of Arkane's releases to date, I love what I can see of the Thief/Bioshock/Deus Ex gameplay, and this appears to be a game that I will really get into.
This may be the new Thief since Eidos wants to "fix" the series.
Hoping the developer sees a significant reward from making the game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
51. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 18:34 Ray Marden

GW2 is more evolutionary than revolutionary, but I feel it tweaks just enough of the existing MMOG mechanics to put it as setting the bar for any current day release.

Going back to WoW, it just felt really old. Combat is standing in place and going through your rotation, you don't explore the world, people don't work together, there is far less customization, the female panda will always have the same face, guilds tend to be either a swarm of inane comments or slimmed down to a core raiding group, the core UI is fairly rigid, the five items you pick as talents really limit your gameplay styles, the graphics are obviously less technically complex, it shoves you into the stereotypical MMO class composition, the story integration is really bad, etc.

It really felt like WoW should be the "free" game and GW2 should be the one with a nominal fee...
My wife wants to see 90, but then we're done.
Ready to move on,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Game Reviews
17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 18:15 Ray Marden

BL2 does manage to just step into into the "stupid, but kind of fun" category for me, but a lot of his points do seem valid.

Is anybody going to defend the story? How much of the game is spent just looting? How much time is spent comparing weapons prior to figuring out they suck and selling them? Does anybody want to argue "just point the camera in a direct and hit accelerate" as a robust vehicle model? Are there some tedious enemies/quests/repeated levels?
It's fun in spurts. The $37 price and lack of new releases really help.
Noting it is still far, far better than Rage,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Abe's Oddysee HD Becomes New N' Tasty!
3. Re: Abe's Oddysee HD Becomes New N' Tasty! Sep 30, 2012, 14:37 Ray Marden

I can access the direct link as well as the imbed on Blue's without any issues.

I like this series and I will purchase this (again) if it is relatively cheap.

At least they are honest about their financial difficulties, else it would have been nicer if they had done something new. But, as they said, if this leads to the AAA completion of the quintology, I am all for it.

Still needing to play the HD remake of Stranger's Wrath,
Ray Hopefully it plays a lot better now.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2012, 14:47.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dishonored
13. Re: Gone Gold - Dishonored Sep 29, 2012, 15:47 Ray Marden

I pre-ordered from GMG for $48. I have enjoyed all of Arkane's games to date, this has some decent people working on it, and looks to be blending some parts from Thief and putting gthem into a steampunk-heavy version of the Half-Life world.

Truthfully, this is the game I am most looking forward to for the rest of the year and I hope it ends up being game of the year.

Otherwise...what else is there to play? Pandas? Another MoH military shooter? Another CoD military shooter? Another pointless AC release? The Doom retread? That crappy Nintendo system tablet?
The made for 'tweens FC3?
Noting most anything else I care about is pushed to 2013,
Ray

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2012, 15:55.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 19:19 Ray Marden

While at work, I completely forgot about them announcing the details today - I think that says more than enough on its own.

It seems expensive for being equivalent to a current-generation system and I cannot help but think that the tablet is needlessly pushing up the cost and weakening the system specs.

Othrewise...why would I want to buy one? Outside of New Super Mario Bros. U, hardly an innovative Mario game, there is not much else of interest: the crappy free game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, the aging Mass Effect game, a multi-platform game, a crappy Sonic game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platofm game, a crappy sports game, a crappy party game, a multi-platform game, some fitness game, some zombie game, and another Scribblenauts game.

Umm....
Compared to my other systems? Or the new PS/Xbox?
Wondering if Nintendo needs to stop doing hardware and focus on games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
1. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 Ray Marden

It is about time - with super cheap mechanical drives and the rise of (much smaller) SSDs, we can finally - finally - direct the location of installations.

I am so glad that Valve invented this on the PC! Oh, wait...
This is nice. About freaking time.
Thinking the cheap, terabyte sized SSDs cannot come soon enough,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
27. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 18:26 Ray Marden

Finally. FINALLY!

A freaking space combat game! By Chris Roberts!

HUZZAH!

Needless to say, I am in. Take my money, please...

Sheddig a tear for Hobbes, the only good wingmate I ever had,
Ray Much better than those hairless apes.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
6. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:10 Ray Marden

$100.00 seems a little high for only a listing, but should be a non-issue for any developer that hast put some work and time into making a decent product.

If you need money to even get started, go to Kickstarter.

Otherwise, the system was deeply flawed. I tried it out last week and there were ~700 items to look at. On top of that, 80% of the items I looked at were either jokes or were so early on that they lacked any screenshots, artwork, or even a video.
Amazingly, every single person promises a fantastic game...
Thinking people had the wrong idea bout Greenlight,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Status Report
25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 19:02 Ray Marden

This game has been blowing me away on a daily basis - for wanting more than a pure raiding grind, this is a fantastic game.

Having said that, I do see how people can be annoyed with the game, rather the state of the game. This game integrates real money into its economy, even if only partially, but the trading post (auction house) has yet to be fully functional.

I ran into an issue with the client crashing on a specific toon, completely stopping me from accessing my main character, and it took a full two days to even get an initial response from suppport. At the end of everything, something went wonky with my client (beta client patched to retail release) and I had to reinstall.

While I was researching the above item, I found numerous people that simply had no access to the game period. None at all. Or constant crashes after the first significant post-launch patch. I was fairly annoyed about my access issues, but I had all my other characters working and had played my main chracter for twenty-four levels. Had I lost all access or had never received access to my characters, I would definitely feel angry.

Meanwhile, where is the community for this game? As far as I can tell, the forums hae yet to be open. Want player input? To read a player FAQ? To promote your guild? To receive help? Share great experiences you've had playing this game? Well, don't do it over at GuildWars2.com.

Yesterday, we went to a launch event that ArenaNet ran for the game - we received a Guild Wars 2 shirt, a Guild Wars 2 poster signed by nine of the development staff, and a code for an in-game shirt identical to the one we received in person.

Well, at least that is what I believe the key on this card gives us - the site to redeem codes was taken down yesterday. It's not the end of the world, but speaks to that "other" side of the game some people are seeing. On one hand, we've played the game non-stop and I love world and design changes they have made, but they can't even get their launch day promotion right - it's one other small thing that is temporarily down while they deal with their launch success, run into bugs that were not found during the betas, try to resolve server issues, etc. But...it just seems like a few things have rough edges at the moment.
Logged into WoW today. Good for its age. But looking old and cheap.
Off to play this very moment,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 08:16 Ray Marden

Did you explore the entire area? All hearts, points of interest, waypoints, skill points, as well as any large areas that seems to exist without one of the above items? Did you do all these in both the starting area and your race's home city? What about Lion's Arch?

Technically, crafting can level you to 80 if you do every profession, but it should help with a few if you stick to your main two.

Are you completely stocked with a scythe, axe, and pick? Gather, gather, gather! This helps with crafting as well as experience. And, no, you don't have to just run around aimlessly doing it, but definitely grab every node as you're going around and going stuff.

Otherwise, do every event you can and realize that a number of them are chains - hang around a minute or two, follow the NPC if he runs off somewhere, and talk to any NPCs that call out to you ("Hey, hey, Creston come here...")

Meanwhile, http://blackmesasource.com/ is ticking away...
Is it 8:47 yet?
Thinking I will be trying out the first dungeon today,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 16:28 Ray Marden

Creston,

Hurry up and get in the guild - I need somebody to harrass all night...

This game does have a rough start - not in the sense of being bad, but just from all the stuff it throws at you and how different it is from the "standard" MMOG.

I played in the beta - I knew I liked it, but I had no clue what the heck I was doing. The second time around, I had a much stronger understanding of what I was doing and the game made a lot more sense. Of course, my main toon is ~25, but things like combos were/are still confusing me (which is why I went to read the Wiki link.)

I have played WoW from day one, but we've discussing not even purchasing the Kung Fu Panda expansion - either way, we're certainly not raiding the same thing over and over again. The new patch came out and I have yet to log into the game to play with the new toys (huzzah for all toons having access to the original Nelft epic mount...)

Meanwhile, I have already purchased three additional character slots in GW2 and and just flat out enjoying always having something to do, having abilities change on the fly at my whim or equipped weapons, the focus on helping one another, enjoying the focus on exploration and finding secrets, the customization, not paying a monthly fee, etc.
MY SUPER CUTE ENGINEER ABOVE AND BEYOND EVERYTHING ELSE! <3
If all you want is raiding, stick with WoW. For everything else - I highly suggest GW2, though it can be overwhelming or just feel really different at first...

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 20:15 Ray Marden

Joining worked in beta, but is barely functional at the moment. If the option even shows up, it rarely activates. I can see it being an early bug or due to overloaded servers, but certainly sucks for playing with my wife.

Also, is there a Blue's News guild?

I am on the Tarnished Coast server as Yarnedram.
Yes, all my names are original. Not.
Off to play,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 18:19 Ray Marden

Definitely worth it - and I generally disliked Guild Wars.

Unique characters, lots of customization, different worlds, nice use of vertical and horizontal level design, always - always - something to do, not so tied into a specific combat rotation like WoW, abilities that vary based upon your weapon, races that are different from one another, a willingness to have fun at times, no monthly fee, heavy on customization (dyes, armor sets, vanity items,) etc.

On the bad side of things, crafting seems a little wonky (or just overwhelming,) it lacks some of precise tactile feedback of WoW, the gem market is barely working at the moment...but that is about all I can come up with at the moment.

Long term, I am not sure if this is a raiding game, but it's a fun game. And for a single purchase? With the ability to spend money on any specific items if and when you want? Most of the free to play games feel lacking and I cannot help but be inclined to further dislike Blizzard for being so lazy and cheap with its development efforts...

Currently loving the game,
Ray The super cute Asura engineer.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2012, 07:20.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 09:18 Ray Marden

Too bad it won't work on my Win7 x64 install. Reading the forums, it looks like it has issues with gamepads, issues with PC installation, does not support 16x10 resolutions, and other incompatabilities.

UPlay is ugly, Ubi still cannot figure out which currency I use, I had a really slow 1MB/s download, and now I have to figure out a way to make its game work.
Did Ubi just reverse-pirate me by giving me nothing, but charging $1?
Edit: As I tried uninstalling, even that has issues. It is trying to delete my users\username\documents\ubisoft folder which does not actually exist - the installer put the files in my users\username\MYdocuments\ubisoft folder. Stupid.

Editx2: Even uninstalled, UPlay is listing Driver as an installed game. Since it shows as installed, it won't let me reinstall it. And since it is actually not installed on my system, UPlay is unable to launch it when I hit "Play." What a crappy company.

Editx3: Worked the second time around - manually uninstalled, manually ran the laucher, ran as admin., and I installed with the gamepad removed.

Guessing the joke is on me,
Ray

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 14:14.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

6547 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo