Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doctor Evil

Real Name Doctor Evil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CythrawL
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2006, 02:24
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 26043

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jul 9, 2011, 22:24 CythrawL

The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan.. He knew his shit too, and I totally agree with that statement!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging
45. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 2, 2011, 09:49 CythrawL

Rockn-Roll wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 15:53:
As for the comments about Steam...if any of you were around at the time...then you would remember the services which rose and fell in an attempt to provide multiplayer connectivity. Some of the major services were Kali, Gamespy, mPlayer, Total Entertainment Network (TEN), HEAT, and World Opponent Network (WON). <Snip> But, of those services there is only one of them that I am now sure will always be there for us...Steam...made by gamers for gamers.

Gamespy was also originally made by gamers for gamers. Again your 30 years is failing you. Gamespy started out as QSpy for Quake and then became Quakespy and was bundled with Quakeworld. Then it was bought out after Hexen 2 when it was renamed Gamespy.. Since then its been shit..

News Comments > Simon Carter Leaves Lionhead
2. Re: Simon Carter Leaves Lionhead Jun 21, 2011, 22:38 CythrawL

Must have gotten fed up of listening to Peter's Bullshit like the majority of us gamers have now..

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:55 CythrawL

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 11:53:
I fucking LOVE SoF. I still replay it from time to time, and I seriously wish we'd get a (real) new SoF with a modern engine.

Creston

This goes true for a lot of the older games.. Some need re-mastering as it were.

Quake 1 looks like its going to be (although that Doom 3 mod Shamblers Castle is amazing). But others like Tie Fighter, Hexen, SOF 1&2, POD, and many others would really benefit from a remaster (Note: not Reboot). Some of those older classic games are hard to get running on a modern system these days, and when you do you wish they would look better even though the gameplay is still totally solid.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 CythrawL

No that Boss fight IS the beginning of the game.....

Then it dumps you into some levels quite a ways into the game

News Comments > Codemasters Hacked
15. Re: Codemasters Hacked Jun 10, 2011, 15:02 CythrawL

Creston wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 14:15:
I'm just waiting for the inevitable hack to hit EA or Amazon or Newegg; places where I DO have credit card info stored.

Creston

Time to delete all stored cards in these places methinks.. I know its a minor hassle to type the info in every time you want to make a purchase, but honestly its the better option these days.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms
25. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms May 27, 2011, 13:04 CythrawL

You'd think that they would have known it was onto a train wreck when their lead writer from Baldurs Gate 2 right up to Dragon Age Origins left because he did not like the direction Dragon Age 2 was going.

He knew this was going to be the outcome.. They lost him because of it...

Dragon Age Origins was a great game, I spent hours and hours in it and I hadn't spent that kind of time in an RPG totally drawn in since Bladurs Gate 2.. It was a spiritual successor, and IMO they achieved that.

But Dragon Age 2, I played the demo, I have also played some of the game for a few hours, and it was horrible in comparison. It went from being Baldurs gate successor to its bastard child..

Greatly disappointed.. but not enough to rage about it because I knew the Witcher 2 was coming this year and that has met all my expectations (apart from buying it on Steam - 15mb Patch is a 9gb patch on Steam) and we have Skyrim later this year..

I really hope that Dragon Age 3 does indeed learn from this and goes back to more like Origins was.. If not then everything he said is bullshit..

Wait and see I guess.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews May 26, 2011, 14:05 CythrawL

At the end of the day, in The Witcher 2 the combat with around 3 trained guards armed with swords against 1 armed with sword and magic isn't a cakewalk. And it SHOULD NOT be. It should be dangerous and be life threatening. Unlike the sword fights in Assassins Creed where you can easily take on like 5 or 6 guards and dispatch them with ease.

I think the Witcher 2 is more realistic (as a game goes) in this sense. If its 1 on 1 with a guy its pretty easy due to Geralt's better abilities. But when you add more it SHOULD be harder, not the same or easier. Not too long after that when you fight monsters in groups they tend to be easier as they arent armed. Which to me makes sense.

5. Re: Game Reviews May 26, 2011, 12:36 CythrawL

I'd like to see the newer generation of gamer tackle something like Green Beret on the C64 now.. I remember literally throwing the Joystick to the floor in frustration, but you know what? I got over it, and finally beat it..

I totally agree, its depressing..

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed
6. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed May 26, 2011, 11:31 CythrawL

Jonny5 wrote on May 26, 2011, 11:21:
Retail and D2D copies have DRM... Are both suffering performance issues because of it, GOG and Steam version DRM free, and are running 5-30% better then both the retail and D2D version... Learn facts....then post!

While technically you are right, the Steam version still uses Steam DRM (You can't run it without Steam running) so its not really DRM free, but yes it does not use the DRM from the retail or D2D Version..

Just thought I'd point that factoid out..

3. Re: Game Reviews May 26, 2011, 11:26 CythrawL

Verno wrote on May 26, 2011, 10:54:
I don't really agree, the character is well positioned in the story. Granted amnesia is probably one of the biggest storytelling cliches but it was necessary given the character's level of competence and knowledge. The author doesn't seem interested in actually discovering these things more than anything else, just about everything is either explained or given enough context for the player to come to his own conclusions.

It reminds me of that idiot Jeff on giantbomb saying "why is my guy advisor to the king?" which made it rather obvious he had never finished the first game. It's more accurate to say that The Witcher 2 is less comprehensible if you haven't played the first game and that I would agree with but it is a sequel we're dealing with here. While I'm sure there are some people who want to play Magic User Geralt or Generic Stealth Geralt, that's not who the character is in the lore and it wouldn't fit the gameplay and story they wanted to tell. It's a different approach than the usual crpg stuff and I understand it isn't for everyone but I think they did a great job with it.

For the record I've never read the novels either. It's just that new mentality we see in game players these days, they want everything literally explained to them in excruciating detail - tutorials, history, etc. I can accept that if someone is a bit vague in the game then maybe there is supposed to be a bit of mystery surrounding the subject or maybe it's just unimportant to the plot. People should use their imagination a bit.

+1

I totally agree with you..

I also find it amusing about all the complaints of the combat.. is it tricky? yes it is... Do you get the hang of it? Yes you do.. Does the game hold your hand with it? HELL No..

I remember when games NEVER held your hand. That they were sometimes (seemingly so) rock solid right off the get go, until you practised and learned how to deal with it. The Witcher 2 is the same, and I for one welcome it. I have had enough of this current generation of games holding your hand and making it more casual. Prime example every FPS now has the mechanic in that if you take cover for a few seconds you magically heal and fight again..

Could you imagine if Doom or Wolf3D had this in?? Ugh.. People need to get thier heads out of the casual game arse and start playign games again that require some degree of skill and practise before you get the hang of it and beat it.. Its more rewarding that way IMO.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer
7. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 13, 2011, 22:30 CythrawL

TheWitcher wrote on May 13, 2011, 22:27:
Pre-ordered.

I did that back in February, after I played that abortion of an RPG Dragon Age 2 (The Demo). Its been a long wait.. almost over then my life will be gone for a while

News Comments > The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer
5. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 13, 2011, 22:26 CythrawL

Techie714 wrote on May 13, 2011, 22:13:
I'm not surprised this is what CD Projekt RED DOES people. They make every effort possible to make sure the PC crowd is well taken care of with great games & plenty of content. You would NEVER see this from a major published except maybe Valve but they are devs.

If you support REAL PC Gaming BUY this game! Lets show the asshole publishers in the U.S. DRM is worthless!

hate to tell you this, but CD Projekt Red are devs too. It just so happens that they own GOG.com as well. They are publishing it themselves thru GOG, but all other channels are through a publisher, like Atari

News Comments > Fable III Windows Demo Next Week
4. Re: Thief 4 Image May 11, 2011, 13:10 CythrawL

Bumpy wrote on May 11, 2011, 12:48:
Yeah but it's got farting.

Yeah well Witcher 2 has tits... has it beat there too.

News Comments > Fable III Windows Demo Next Week
1. Re: Fable III Windows Demo Next Week May 11, 2011, 12:15 CythrawL

I wouldnt even waste the bandwidth on this overhyped and underachieveing game.. I'll be playing the Witcher 2 instead which will be far superior in every way..  

News Comments > Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles
7. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 12:12 CythrawL

Anyone who wasnt born before Duke3D, is still too young to play it legally now..

Just thought I would point that out..

Also I am sure its gonna be a fun game, and be a great stop gap till the big releases in Nov, but I highly doubt its going to change the gaming world, other than the fact its finally out.. All pie in the sky drivel he is spouting there IMO.

News Comments > New Black Prophecy Content
7. Re: New Black Prophecy Content May 3, 2011, 18:48 CythrawL

Yeah the USA Beta has been out for a while. I got a Beta key and played it for a bit as well.. it IS pretty good, think MMO Freelancer with a bit of Eve and World of Warcraft mixed in. If they can get the latency and lag issues sorted its gonna be a winner for a Free to play Space Sim MMO...

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
45. There is No WHY! May 1, 2011, 22:39 CythrawL

Nowhere in that interview does he actually say WHY there is no deathmatch... Only the Co-Op side and how good it will be... no actual REASON why there is no Deathmatch.....

It will show up afterwards... TBH for me, I hardly play any MP now. Its generally full of dickheads who cheat, or play so damn much that you never see who killed you... Quake 2 and Quake 3 were the last great Deathmatchers, and even then I still preferred it on a LAN with a group of buddies in the same room (we used to rent Pub rooms out for this). A lot of that experience is lost playing it on the net.. Guess I am just way too old Skool.. Although L4D 1 and 2 had me hooked for a while...

News Comments > Fable III on Steam
12. Re: Fable III on Steam Apr 21, 2011, 18:21 CythrawL

Fable III out on the same day as Witcher 2.... I know what I'll be playing.. Oh well!  

News Comments > Down Under Steam Pricing
1. Re: Down Under Steam Pricing Apr 15, 2011, 10:56 CythrawL

Its the same with Music CD's too. I remember Trent Reznor asking the people at one of his concerts if the prices for music CD's was still ridicously high.. They answered yes... and he told them "Well steal it... Steal steal and steal it some more, and maybe these fuckers will get the message" or something to that effect..

Seems likes the Aussies always pay higher prices, maybe its because it was originally a prison colony?? who knows..

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo