Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doctor Evil

Real Name Doctor Evil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CythrawL
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2006, 02:24
Total Comments 152 (Novice)
User ID 26043

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
44. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 21:26 CythrawL

The only problem I have with Steam is this...

Once I am totally done with my games and I will never EVER play them again, why the HELL cant I gift them or someone buy them from me via steam at a discounted price (some of which Valve could get for the transaction)... If they added this then it would be a game changer in everything about Steam...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
42. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 12, 2010, 09:53 CythrawL

And seeing the Playstation 3 only has 256mb of ram and people can still produce games like Crysis 2, kinda nullifies your argument now doesnt it?

Thats HALF the ram and MORE storage than we are touting around...

and I am sure nearly every GOOD coder will disagree with you.. As I said it has NOTHING to do with Tech Demos, I gave that as an EXAMPLE of what can be done with limitations. There are awesome games one the Nintendo DS, Awesome games on the iPod Touch.. ALL have less storage and limits than we are touting... Again you are missing the point, and on why I called you on those two points you gave on your list. They have NOTHING to do with better games or game development.

The other 3 points you came up with, RIGHT on the money.. I just dont agree with the 2 we are debating about.

39. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 11, 2010, 17:19 CythrawL

NKD wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 14:31:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 12:36:
If you cant program a game in 512mb of memory with the pool of 6.8gb to store your data, then I am sorry you are in the wrong job and should not be called a programmer.

You do realize that there's a significant difference between a 4k tech demo and a full AAA game, right? Completely procedural content is a cool idea but doesn't work very well for most games.

You asked me if I was joking but now I have to ask the same of you.

This.

The reality of modern game development is that the art assets are big. It's not about laziness or failure to optimize. It's just a fact that you can't compress the art assets any further without losing significant quality.

Lowering the visual quality of your game isn't optimization anymore than optimizing a website by removing half the content.

Sorry but procedurally generated textures are bland and repetitive by their very nature, and the renderers in those demos are barebones as hell. The framerates are only acceptable because the assets they deal with aren't at all demanding.

It's a fun and challenging thing, the demo scene, but it's not a viable AAA game development strategy.

I think you BOTH missed my point and zeroed in on the 4k example I gave you.. The point I was making is that you think that 512mb of ram and 6.8GB of Storage is not enough for a game. I call utter Bullshit. You can code a great game with much MUCH less resources. Those 2 points is why I said you are joking right?. My 4k example was showing what is POSSIBLE if you code WELL with limitations bestowed upon you.. Thats the whole reason they have 4k, 64k compos, to show their skills. Now granted Coding Demos and games are a different kettle of fish, but if you remember the Silents they went on to be Digital Illusions. Triton, ended up being Starbreeze, and so on and so forth.

It used to be about taking those limitations and coding a great game around that. What you are saying the limitations are to small and give us moar moar MOAR!! which is exactly where game development is heading now. Which is ashame and I think its the totally wrong way to go.

Could you imagine what people like Stavros Fasoulas and Andrew Braybrook could do if they coded on the same level as they did back then with the resources of the Xbox 360 now??? I mean jeezus it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what I am trying to get at here!

I still hate it when you get games, and its not been coded or optimized for the platform, you get slow downs and frame drops, where there really should not be.. There are very few teams out these days who polish their games till they shine, Blizzard is one of them and you can SEE it with their titles.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2010, 17:24.

31. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 11, 2010, 12:04 CythrawL

Jerykk wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 00:47:

2) Having to work with only 512MB of memory TOTAL (system + video).

3) Trying to fit your game onto a 6.8 gig DVD (for X360, at least).

I'm sorry but those 2 points are a joke yes?

If you cant program a game in 512mb of memory with the pool of 6.8gb to store your data, then I am sorry you are in the wrong job and should not be called a programmer.

I think it was Jeff Minter who said "if you cant program a playable game in 1k of memory then you are NOT a games programmer"

I would have KILLED for that kind of power when developing for the Amiga almost 20 years ago. In fact go and check some of the games being done in the Demo Scene.. 3d FPS games with procedural textures in 4k... playable..

Programmers are lazy these days, they get everything done for them (engines and such like) and their games are huge, unoptimized, bloated, and not very innovative usually.

News Comments > BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs
26. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 21:46 CythrawL

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 21:26:
This is because Bioware has solely been in it for the money for some time now. Let it go, fellas. The Bioware you knew and loved is dead, Jim, dead.

Name one Dev house that WASN'T in it for the money??? That are still around now???....

Why do you go to work every day? Surely not for the money??

25. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 21:44 CythrawL

Yakubs wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 16:01:
Obsessed with review scores? I.e., the "critiques" written by twenty-five year olds of dubious intelligence and no education or training? Are these "journalists" truly driving the gaming industry? And driven by their commitment to quality? Since when do review scores correlate to quality?

Since the VERY early days... I remember in the UK if a game tanked on the scores in ZZapp64 and CRASH magazine, it didnt sell well. If they all gave it the thumbs up, then it sold VERY well.. I mean this was back in the 80's... Where have you all been???

9. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 13:43 CythrawL

Ummm... why was this glaringly missed out on the said keynote:

Bioware’s co-founder, Dr. Greg Zeschuk, dropped this somewhat incendiary quote during his keynote at Develop: “The future isn’t necessarily on console. That’s the past.” - Source PC Gamer..

Eurogamer scared of the Console backlash?

kxmode, you have nothing to worry about.

News Comments > Ubisoft Results, Driver Delayed
9. Re: Ubisoft Results, Driver Delayed Jul 12, 2010, 20:28 CythrawL

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 19:23:
Jeez. Don't you thieving assholes ever get tired of whining? So Ubi games are no longer a day 0 steal for you? Wow. Big fucking deal. Get over it already, will ya? There are still more than enough publishers out there whose games are cracked on or before day 0. Just steal someone else's shit, OK?

kthxbye!

Oh so you must like having your rights anally raped when you hand over your money on a product they dictate on how you can use it? You must love Apple products too... Rolleyes

News Comments > Dragon Age Anime Movie Plans
12. Re: Dragon Age Anime Movie Plans Jun 7, 2010, 23:59 CythrawL

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 23:29:
People will just bitch about anything, won't they? Heaven forbid fans of the game get new material in any form.

Much as I enjoyed Dragon Age, I'm not terribly excited at this particular bit of extended universe. I'm usually not very much into fantasy, DA being an exception, and I'm not sure DA in a different medium will attract me nearly as much. Still, DA players who actually like fantasy on principle will probably get a lot more out of this then I will.

What I'd really like is to see this done for Mass Effect. Mass Effect has such a huge, well-fleshed-out setting with many opportunities for other stories than Shepard's. My biggest problem with the games is that, at times, Shepard's story is almost a little too epic and I find myself wishing for a look at people in the galaxy who are going about their futuristic business unhindered by knowing about the big awful truths.

Wish there were mod points, coz you would be modded up. Totally agree with you.. I dont see how Bioware has "sold out" because some animation house is making an Anime Dragon Age. Nerd rage is taking over for the silliest little things these days. In that case, iD sold out when they sold the film rights to Doom. Capcom sold out when they started the Resident Evil Film franchise. Blizzard also because theres a Warcraft film slated for 2013

So you all better not buy Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft, and RAGE then because according to them, they all sold out.... Its easy money for the studios, and if that means money for them then it good for them... Less of the rage already!

News Comments > Quest Online Sues David Allen
4. Re: Quest Online Sues David Allen Jun 4, 2010, 11:09 CythrawL

"That action resulted in the game and company generating a lot of bad press for the company as well as the game."

Not to be grammar police here, but that for some reason jumps out at me as being totally wrong....

News Comments > Activision on Developer Relations
6. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 15:14 CythrawL

As long as Bobby Kotick, is in charge of Activision, there is no Developer Relations. Its a matter of him holding the whip and enforcing Activisions "culture" upon them! No PR Lackey of the company will convince me otherwise. Now if the headline said, Bobby Kotick, steps down, tries to rebuild Developer Relations, then that would be a different kettle of fish!  

News Comments > Warner Sued for Antipiracy Piracy
4. Re: Warner Sued for Antipiracy Piracy May 26, 2010, 12:18 CythrawL

To quote Nelson Muntz - HA HA  

News Comments > Raven Hears the Call of Duty?
14. Re: Raven Hears the Call of Duty? May 13, 2010, 21:18 CythrawL

CannibalBob wrote on May 13, 2010, 20:22:
Screw CoD - Make a Heretic 3 or Hexen 3, Raven!

I second that, the last really good game Raven did was Soldier of Fortune 2 back in 2002... Everything after that has been kinda "meh"!!

Everything before that, was pretty good. Hexen and Heretic being amongst my faves. They should go back to their roots and do a modern time follow up to Black Crypt... that would be awesome if done right...

News Comments > Kotick: "No Choice But to Fire" IW Heads
13. Re: Kotick: "No Choice But to Fire" IW Heads May 7, 2010, 01:16 CythrawL

saying: "we wish we could have convinced some of these incredibly talented people to stay."

Well maybe if you ran your company without using fear as a motive, then those people would have been GLAD to stay.. What a dumbass.

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." Kotick later stated he tries to promote an atmosphere of "skepticism, pessimism, and fear"

Seriously who would want to work for that guy?

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Cracked?
97. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 28, 2010, 09:40 CythrawL

The PC Warrior wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 23:53:
uh no. they edited the ubisoft launcher library to return the values requested immediately. they didnt steal the server emulator. youre wrong and deceitful, lol.

And where do you think they got those values from?
The Massive community effort that got them for the emulator that are available to everyone who knows for download?

Or you think they did it themselves. If's funny that the values where byte-identical to the values of an unfinished database while it was still being built.

I know what I would rather believe.

If you want to see a REAL crack of this DRM, then check out Razor1911's crack of the Settlers 7

All this DRM did was make people more motivated to get around this stupid protection. If I was a trucker or some such, not being able to play a SINGLE player game without an internet connection is downright stupid if you ask me.

News Comments > The Settlers 7 DRM Woes Continue
41. Re: The Settlers 7 DRM Woes Continue Apr 6, 2010, 16:09 CythrawL

Nah, they will just go console only, then "shock horror" they find that their console games will STILL get pirated too.. What will they do then?

And dont give me that "Most people dont pirate on Console" garbage, I can name pretty much everyone I know who owns an Xbox360 have modded the firmware, got the "Safe Lists" and are all playing copied versions of games... The sooner people see this, the better. Make good games, make them without draconian DRM and they will sell. Dragon Age, and the Witcher are sterling proof of this (Mind you the Witcher did use TAGES but sold by the bucket-load in a dying PC market)

What I think will happen is that these big studios have gotten too big. Just peruse back at the massive layoffs these companies have done in the past 12 months, yet the smaller more independent studios who actually innovate have been doing quite well. What is happening is the "Publishers" are losing ground as its now quite easy to publish a game without a big name publisher. I for one welcome the new age...

32. Re: The Settlers 7 DRM Woes Continue Apr 6, 2010, 12:36 CythrawL

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 12:34:

Now THAT I knew already, so no harm done.

31. Re: The Settlers 7 DRM Woes Continue Apr 6, 2010, 12:35 CythrawL

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 12:26:
Sorry I don't sit by the computer clicking refresh on warez forums And I haven't verified this myself so *shrug*. People said AC2 was day one cracked and that turned out to be false too.

All I can say is that it works, so no more server troubles for me, I should ask Ubi for my money back with all the damn issues they have been having...

Anyways didn't I hear somewhere, that once it was "cracked" (shock horror telling people things they don't know) and UBI was going to remove the DRM anyways?

28. Re: The Settlers 7 DRM Woes Continue Apr 6, 2010, 12:31 CythrawL

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 12:27:
I dont see how saying using the latest database file <filename.db> is point out specifics, I didnt post any links on where to get it or how to get it... Christ if could be called BLuesNews.db for all that matter.

Well, you told me something I didn't know. I'm just saying the enforcement on this policy is quite strict.

Well you know what, There's a game out next week that will be cracked before its released too... May as well ban me for that too, seeing you didn't know it, till I told you :-/

25. Re: The Settlers 7 DRM Woes Continue Apr 6, 2010, 12:26 CythrawL

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 12:23:
Just a friendly reminder CythrawL - pointing out specifics in how to pirate a game (even one that deservces as much pirating as it can get like anything with Ubisoft's BS new DRM) is against forum policy. Blue has precious few rules; that's one of them.

I dont see how saying using the latest database file <filename.db> is point out specifics, I didnt post any links on where to get it or how to get it... Christ if could be called BLuesNews.db for all that matter.

152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo