Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Chris

Real Name Chris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Calwen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 28, 2006, 18:33
Total Comments 25 (Suspect)
User ID 25870

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight II Cinematic
9. Re: Torchlight II Cinematic Apr 21, 2012, 11:26 Calwen

I like the part where the villain blows up the wooden watchtowers for no reasons whatsoever, just to appear menacing and evil. Maybe the plot revolves around his hatred of arboreal structures.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PROTOTYPE 2 The Power of Revenge Trailer
3. Re: PROTOTYPE 2 The Power of Revenge Trailer Apr 14, 2012, 12:05 Calwen

...why was that live action? Why strap fan-film claws onto actors when something like Blur Studios would happily make you a CGI trailer that doesn't beg audiences to suspend disbelief?  

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
56. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 19:51 Calwen

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 17:04:

There will be a lot more available from the GW2 cash shop than just cosmetic items. They've already said as much. Here's a quote from the blog post:

"[Players] should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items."

The "time saving convenience items" is a big giveaway here, and the fact that they're actually telling us that much is a big indicator that it's going to be more than that too.

But then there's also this: "..itís never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time."

What's interesting is how vague that statement is. He didn't say it's not ok for players who spend money to have any advantage over players who spend time. He also didn't say that it's not ok for players who spend money to have all the same advantages as players who spend time. And he said nothing about how much time he's talking about here. For example, he didn't say that it's not ok for players who spend $10 a month to have some advantages (as long as they're not "unfair" advantages) over players who spend 200 hours a month grinding for the same stuff.

Unless the gems are useless (in which case, why put them in at all?), then yes there will almost certainly be an effectively unlimited supply of in-game gold available for purchase with gems. Take Eve, for example, where they have the PLEX system. You can buy PLEX with real money, and sell them for in-game credits. There are ALWAYS people who have fairly competitive buy orders active for PLEX. Sure, you can possibly get a bit more for your money if you're patient, but you can ALWAYS get a nice amount. A grand in US dollars will let you buy PLEX which you can immediately sell at any hour day or night for in-game credits, (I never checked specifically, but I'd be willing to bet the market would support selling even 10 or 100 times that much PLEX at any given moment) and then buy pretty much whatever you like. The same was true in every other MMO I've played that had similar systems. Expecting it to play out differently in GW2 is absurd.

But let me reiterate what I've said before, just so there's no misunderstanding: I don't think any of this is bad. I think it's just a different way to collect the revenue they need to keep the game running and keep ongoing development funded. And I like it, because it gives each individual player the choice of exactly how much time and/or money he wants to invest.

True, the blog post does state that there will be some convenience items. Fair enough, but we really don't know what that purposefully vague statement implies, which leaves it open to interpretation. In my interpretation, I wasn't thinking of XP scrolls or somesuch; I was thinking of something along the lines of a Golem Banker (see the Digital Deluxe/Collector's editions of the game). Handy, but hardly necessary or game-changing. My point is that I still don't see any "Pay to Win" here, even with the vague statements. Hell, I'm not convinced that XP Scrolls would count as pay to win in a game that linearizes the leveling treadmill and debuffs high level players for low level content. Only in WvW can I see those sorts of convenience items being considered remotely unfair, where higher level players do have a moderate statistical advantage.

Now I'm not even sure what we're arguing about. Of course paying for extra goodies will net some sort of minor advantage on some level. I was merely picking apart the gear-advantage argument across two different games. Other advantages are just fluff, in my opinion.

Who knows about the PLEX thing. Eve players can literally buy game time with game money, so I can see that being a pretty big driving force for PLEX demand. The purchasable items in GW2 may not be quite that desirable -- and they don't seem to be if the blog posts are to be believed -- but we'll see in the next month or so.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
46. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 16:08 Calwen

Krovven wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:46:
InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:42:
Well its a F2P MMO what the hell did people expect?? No Grind at all?? Or maybe no Pay2Win??? Dream on...

F2P != no subscription. It's not F2P, it costs $60 as the price to play.

Clearly it's become P2W, but I'm sure people will defend it, because "it's not Diablo 3".

P2W? What exactly are people "winning" in Guild Wars 2 by purchasing cosmetic items? A beauty contest?

As far as we know, gear is statistically equivalent at any given level, with certain stats favoring certain builds. But on average they should be comparable. So in neither PvE nor PvP should purchasing gear offer any sort of statistical advantage in combat.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm not in the D3 beta), but doesn't gear in Diablo 3 increase the relative power of your character at a given level? That's where I'm guessing some of the vitriol for the D3 auction house comes from. You can buy your way into a combat advantage, which could become problematic for PvP -- for whenever they decide to release that patch. It could then become a Keeping up with the Jonses type phenomenon, not unlike the inane gear grind of WoW and its imitators.

I think the most interesting part about the gems will be how it affects the economy. Some crazies on the forums seem to think that buying gems will yield gem-buyers an unlimited supply of in-game gold -- as if saturating the market with gems will somehow saturate the market with demand as well. To have extra gems implies that 1) the buyer has no self control but does have daddy's credit card, or 2) they purchase gems with the intent to trade them for in-game gold. Seems like the latter could backfire very easily, should enough gem-buyers partake in that plan.

All in all, I think it's a clever system in which everyone can participate on their on terms. Except RMT botters, of course.

News Comments > 1M Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
6. Re: 1M Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 25, 2012, 17:48 Calwen

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 16:24:
Fion wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 15:28:
They are doing GW1 style 'beta weekends'. With GW just about anyone who signed up eventually got into a weekend so I can hope it's the same with GW2.

Well, I know we'll get in eventually but you and I want in sooner than later. What pisses me off are the jerks that sign up with like 20 email accounts. It'd be cool if they could filter those out from identical PC information being submitted and then ban them from the beta entirely!

I think that's one of the big reasons they did the system scan: to help prevent people from improving their lottery chances via alternate emails. However, for those of us with multiple computers...

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
8. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 14:57 Calwen

Did the Steam servers just get slammed? I'm pulling <300KB/s.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Press Beta
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 21:32 Calwen

Glad to see they're on track.

Dear Press,

Please tell Anet their game is wonderful and perfect and does not need to be delayed.

Yours truly,
~An impatient fan

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Gone Wrong?
18. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Gone Wrong? Jan 24, 2012, 15:56 Calwen

Verno wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 15:32:

There are some things I miss from BC2 - the squad UI was much better and the mappers generally did a better job overall (in particular with the destruction feature). That said BF3 has some pretty large scale improvements and it's vehicle combat is better balanced. The movement code in particular is really cleaned up. The newer version of Frostbite blows the BC2 version out of the water.

Definitely agreed. A few more things I miss:

1) In conquest, being able to click on freaking spawn points directly via the map. Arrg, this one bugs the hell out of me in BF3.

2) Probably idiosyncratic to my own play-style, but I miss the higher health of BC2 / lower bullet damage / whichever. I don't like the "I saw you first I win" style of BF3. I like being able to compensate for being surprised with quick reflexes and (usually) superior aim.

3) The AT4. In both games the rockets that lock on are nonsense. There is no skill to develop and, for me, they are not nearly as much fun, realism be damned.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 23, 2012, 11:26 Calwen

Hurray! Damnnit! I really really really hope "later" means "summer". Early summer. Otherwise I'll never get a chance to play GW2 for more than a half hour at a time, if that. I have a deadline, Anet! Medical school looms large in August...

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
153. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 20, 2012, 02:08 Calwen

Jeklor wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 00:46:
BioWare is in the wrong business. They should be making movies, not video games. The intro for SW:TOR alone should get them funding for an animated Star Wars feature film.

If it was a bad-ass video game cinematic, it was probably made by Blur Studios. The intro for TOR was both.

http://vz3.blur.com/work

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third DLC
6. Re: Saints Row: The Third DLC Dec 11, 2011, 01:39 Calwen

This kind of DLC is great to gobble up during Steam sales. Otherwise it's hard to justify.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events Dec 10, 2011, 01:07 Calwen

Anyone else going to pretend this is KOTOR 3 for the first month or so? I don't really see myself playing it for the long haul, maybe just long enough to get to the raiding and everything else I have no intention of slogging through.

I will say, though, that the way they have voiced and animated the quests has completely changed the way I have approached this MMO. For once I didn't play for the leveling treadmill or the next shiny trinket +5. I actually found myself on multiple occasions not knowing what level I was during beta. For a modern MMO, that's a revelation.

I have no clue how they plan to maintain this story element as a viable business plan, voice acting and all. But I sure hope they do, and I hope other PvE-centric MMOs follow suit.

Semi-side note: The new cinematic scenes for GW2 look fantastic, if not a little too...animate when the characters are emoting. Here's to hoping that MMOs have the capacity to, once again, become immersive.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2011, 22:15 Calwen

I'm shocked that DS3 wasn't $20 before the sale...

It seemed like one of those ports that would plummet in price.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2011, 22:28.

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Nov 28, 2011, 00:53 Calwen

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 17:42:
I had to contact Amazon support this week for a game, they responded in 20 minutes. Unheard of.

I had to call Amazon support because my brand new Kindle had a malfunctioning battery. Hands down the best phone support I've ever had outside of a small-business. I think their customer service is based out of Seattle -- which would explain the universally chipper personalities on the other end.

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers
2. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 21, 2011, 23:22 Calwen

It's worth noting that these drivers completely disable crossfire in Skyrim to prevent negative scaling. However, if you're running the dll that more or less fixes the crossfire problem, avoid these drivers at all costs. We'll have to wait until the end of the week for a real solution.  

News Comments > Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting
31. Re: Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting Nov 18, 2011, 15:39 Calwen

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually read the Metacritic user reviews -- other than to validate their own opinions?

They often feel like a long, quantified Youtube comment.

News Comments > More Battlefield 3 Map Details
3. Re: More Battlefield 3 Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 21:57 Calwen

Oh and note DICE's internal designations. Gee, I wonder if we'll have to pay for maps MP002, MP004-06, MP008-10, MP014, and MP016? Maybe they don't want to burden us with too many choices on launch day.  

News Comments > More Battlefield 3 Map Details
2. Re: More Battlefield 3 Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 21:53 Calwen

DangerDog wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 21:40:
I'm not seeing anything that looks epic in the map lineup, Caspian Border is the only non gray/brown looking map. I hated the fence trench, a very annoying obstacle - you couldn't even effectively drive vehicles through the fence.

I was hoping for a little more forest/jungle action considering how much fun I had in Caspian Border's little patch of swaying and shaking greenery. A Valparaiso remake would be great.

As for the fence trenches, I didn't have much of a problem powering through them with the tank's...uh...well, I guess its "sprint" function.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 10, 2011, 03:47 Calwen

nin wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 20:12:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 20:00:
Calwen wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 14:31:
I don't think I've ever been so disappointed when a demo ended. It was also the first time a demo ever motivated me to unlock the full game immediately, only to find out the damn game isn't even out yet.

Go go Tuesday!

What game are you talking about?

Creston

I'm assuming OMD, but after reading his post and getting excited about it being Tues and not Wed, steam shows Wed for me.

Yep, OMD. But you're completely right. It releases on the 12th, which is apparently a Wednesday.

Go go...Wednesday *sigh*

I should probably start/finish Bastion while I wait. I picked it up the same day Caspian Border went public and dazzled me with its shiny new coat of paint.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 9, 2011, 14:31 Calwen

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed when a demo ended. It was also the first time a demo ever motivated me to unlock the full game immediately, only to find out the damn game isn't even out yet.

Go go Tuesday!

25 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo