Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 18574 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
9. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 12:36 Cutter

walrus1 wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 12:31:
The fact that KS hasn't pulled this very obvious scam by now is pretty unforgivable. That more then anything makes me not want to back anything on KS.

Exactly. Like I said yesterday, they're like a pimp, they don't care if people get burned so long as they get their money. That's not a company worth supporting.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
17. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 12:35 Cutter

Terrible game in every aspect so this is no surprise. I played for an hour before I uninstalled it. I think I threw up in my mouth a little while playing it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 23:28 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 23:10:
KilgoreTrout wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 22:06:
Cutter, the world is not getting worse. In general it is getting a lot better (though maybe not for you personally). Less violence, less disease, less poverty, more democracy. Have a look at "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, a very well-researched book about how (contrary to popular belief) we actually live in the least violent period since the dawn of humanity. Even the world wars were not that bad compared to many historical conflicts (in proportion to population).

I don't buy the general doom & gloom scenario, with the possible exception of global catastrophes like an asteroid hit. People have been saying that the world is going to hell in a handbasket since hell and handbaskets were invented, but it is just not the case.

exactly right man. i didn't wanna pick on cutter specifically, but his gloom'n doom pessimism really is not borne out in the least by reality.

Is there a name for this little fantasy world you guys live in? This is one of the advantages of having studied history and poli sci in university, I see the world as it really is. And I can see where its headed based on past performance. People like you guys are engaged in nothing more than wishful thinking hoping everything will be ok.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 23:25 Cutter

KilgoreTrout wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 22:06:
Cutter, the world is not getting worse. In general it is getting a lot better (though maybe not for you personally). Less violence, less disease, less poverty, more democracy. Have a look at "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, a very well-researched book about how (contrary to popular belief) we actually live in the least violent period since the dawn of humanity. Even the world wars were not that bad compared to many historical conflicts (in proportion to population).

I don't buy the general doom & gloom scenario, with the possible exception of global catastrophes like an asteroid hit. People have been saying that the world is going to hell in a handbasket since hell and handbaskets were invented, but it is just not the case.

In what alternative universe is this the case? Conflict is rising all over the globe. Global warming, pollution, energy depletion, dying ecosystems. All getting worse. We have much less democracy now and we're losing more all the time - Patriot Act, NSA etc.. 85% of all legislation is written by corporations. The people running government are all lawyers and corporate executives doing it for the benefit of said corporations. We know things are in fact getting worse because they're quantifiable and recorded. Did you know that the minimum wage has only grown 1 cent - when indexed for inflation - since 1975? Google the phrase "middle class squeeze". Since 1950 we've been losing ground - and it really took off under Reagan. We've been losing earnings and buying power for decades now. Wages have not only stalled over the last 30 years, we've lost ground. Most of the middle class is shifting towards poor. And it's only getting worse. So enjoy those rose colored glasses buddy, because when you wake up one day 20 years from now and the world has gone to hell in that handbasket you'll wish you wouldn't have been so easily duped and done more about it. But of course, it'll be too late by then.

Edit: And reading the criticisms of Pinker's book that only substantiates my position. It's a pop-science book long on hypothesis and short on actual real facts. Thanks for coming out anyway, Scooter.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2014, 23:34.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 18:25 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 18:13:
count me in with the optimists in blue's camp. in a hundred years i'm hoping we'll have an offworld colony, and possibly a ship on it's way to another star.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies? A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure?

Yeah, well good luck with that. All you have to do is look at the world today and where we're headed. The future is dystopian and that's very much sooner than later. I suspect that within the next 50 years governments will be reduced to figurehead status and a few megacorps will be in absolute control. Withing the next century, I really believe it'll be a William Gibsonesque world - Syndicate/Bladerunner/et al. Corporations basically run all governments now as it is. The rest is just window dressing to provide people with the illusion of freedom. That's the one line I always loved from Thunderheart....

"We choose the right to be who we are. We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom. There is a way to live with the earth and a way not to live with the earth. We choose the way of earth. It's about power, Ray." - Jimmy Looks Twice

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 18:16 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:58:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:47:
DayZ is the current meme, like Minecraft was. It's the in thing to buy atm.

I don't think you understand what a meme is. Minecraft is still super popular, btw. Nothing past tense about it. They've sold about 54 million copies thus far and are still going strong. If Minecraft were available on Steam, it would probably be the top seller.

Sigh, why am I the only person around here who understands sociological concepts like what a meme is?

A meme (/&#712;mi&#720;m/ meem)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[3]

Does that help clarify it for you? Allow me to simplify. Little Johnny here's of a 'kewl' product or service that's getting popular. And like most of societies mouth breathers Little Johnny lacks the self-esteem to buck trends. So rather than risk social isolation he jumps on the bandwagon. Now Little Johnny is part of the "in-crowd", and his other little pea-brain pals have to join in or they risk being ostracized as well. See how that works?

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
21. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:04 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:55:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:38:
What a shit show. This sort of shit is precisely why I'm done with KS. KS doesn't care and won't take any responsibility because they want their cut. They're like pimps and no one should support pimps.

You could just avoid shady Kickstarters and support the ones worth supporting. For every Areal, there's ten Kickstarters that turn out well.

True enough. I should say I won't be bothering with games Kickstarters anymore. Most seem to be either scams or from people that can afford to bankroll them themselves but don't want to risk their own money. There are people doing other things that are definitely worthy of backing. Here's one...

Smash Cup!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 14:54 Cutter

Mankind has no long term future. We're doomed sooner rather than later. We're simply too stupid, greedy and atavistic to make it in the long run. Even the dinosaurs will have had a better run at it. Even if we managed to colonize other planets we'd just be exporting the same problems and issues as we have now. When you live on a planet where people allow all the sociopaths to run most of it there isn't much hope things will ever get better.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2014, 14:50 Cutter

And what did LoL do during all of this? Nothing obviously.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 14:47 Cutter

DayZ is the current meme, like Minecraft was. It's the in thing to buy atm.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 20, 2014, 14:46 Cutter

Scam. He's lying. Who the hell just gives someone 35 grand without any sort of specific contract?

And Yogcast very much has a legal obligation. If I were a backer I'd be filing complaints with the FBI for interstate wire fraud and the FTC for bait and switch. This is very obviously a con.

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
10. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 14:38 Cutter

What a shit show. This sort of shit is precisely why I'm done with KS. KS doesn't care and won't take any responsibility because they want their cut. They're like pimps and no one should support pimps.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 19, 2014, 19:53 Cutter

A) Snowden doesn't have those sorts of political connections to warrant a PP. Guys like Nixon, Ollie North, etc. are the pricks that get off. You know, the real criminals.

News Comments > The Crew Video Interview
2. Re: The Crew Video Interview Jul 19, 2014, 00:24 Cutter

Yeah, the arcade aspect of it is disappointing , but the game world itself looks pretty sweet. I'd love to replicate The Gumball Rally in this with the classic cars.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jul 19, 2014, 00:20 Cutter

I lost on Jeopardy. That is all.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 19, 2014, 00:19 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 19:02:
Doesn't anyone use the public library anymore?

All the time. For physical and ebooks. I love libraries. Bookstores too. I can spend hours in them perusing.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of Venice - Gold Edition
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of Venice - Gold Edition Jul 19, 2014, 00:14 Cutter

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 21:14:
Is this just Port Royale 3/Patrician III hybrid?

I like these games, but once you figure out the game mechanics the fun is pretty much over.

Apparently, everyone I see comments to just stick with Port Royale 3 gold. I haven't played it so I'll grab it at some point and see how different it is.

News Comments > Areal Videos
16. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 19:06 Cutter

Sometimes I curse myself for having a moral center and being a decent human being. It would be so easy to get rich by fleecing people.  

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Website & Trailer
1. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Website & Trailer Jul 18, 2014, 19:02 Cutter

If it's anything like the first game be sure to avoid it like the plague.

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
7. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 18, 2014, 19:01 Cutter

I've always only played MMOs until I've done all the content then I'm gone. I'll come back and check out the new stuff when it arrives but paying to grind isn't for me. Every MMO should be smart and do like NWO. As much as NWO is fucked because Perfect World - talk about a misnomer - the Foundry is still an amazing tool. That's how you keep subscribers around.

18574 Comments. 929 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo