Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 20616 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 9, 2015, 00:40 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 14:55:
The game is very good and the review is very accurate, though never played the demo.

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 12:35:
I tried the demo for Dead State was horrible. Now have zero interest in the game even if it was $5. And the fact that the devs are douchebags does nothing to help their cause.
Ooc, why do you think Brian & Brenda Mitsoda and DB team are douchebags?

Didn't you hear the story of them censoring posts on Steam and then got into a war with people who had negative opinions of the game calling them dicks, etc. Most unprofessional thing I've ever seen. A few sites out there have the whole story if you want to find it.

“That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 3GB Evolve Day One Patch Detailed
4. Re: 3GB Evolve Day One Patch Detailed Feb 8, 2015, 13:02 Cutter

And how much does this patch cost?

“That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!”

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2015, 13:01 Cutter

I just watched the Red Dwarf episode the other day. I should make one of those.

Lol that was a good catch. Can not wait for GTA5 to get here! Hurry!

And that was a good response on that archery video - and she's pretty hot. I'd rather watch her shoot than Hawkeye or Green Arrow.

And how is using a tool like that cutting glass by hand? Fail.

And that was a pretty ingenious solution to having no reverse, but you really should have it. I'd never have MacGyver'd my way out of that ditch yesterday without it!

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2015, 12:35 Cutter

I tried the demo for Dead State was horrible. Now have zero interest in the game even if it was $5. And the fact that the devs are douchebags does nothing to help their cause.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 8, 2015, 12:32 Cutter

Good. What a fucking punk. 5 years in Pound-Me-In-The-Ass-Prison should serve as a good example for other punks like him.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 8, 2015, 12:24 Cutter

QFT...

"The USA is very proud of its Constitution, and it's probably true that the people who wrote the constitution were risking their lives - as were the people who fought for it. They must all have expected great things to flow from, and be protected by, their constitution.

What happened, unfettered power in the hands of untouchable people?"

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Feb 8, 2015, 12:22 Cutter

And they wonder why people hate cops. That was very clearly a case of expressing an opinion and not threatening cops. Go out and find some real criminals. Go find people's stolen shit already.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 8, 2015, 12:17 Cutter

How the fuck are people not sick of zombie survival games by now? This reminds me of that WWII glut a decade ago.

News Comments > Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M
40. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 8, 2015, 12:08 Cutter

Illumin wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 10:36:
Yeah its stupid to trust in a company that is crowd funded and gives regular development updates with modules you can try for yourself! I like the old EA approach of showing cut scenes that have nothing to do with game play in fancy 150$ collector edition boxes. Companies that don't put out demo's of their product before a game is released etc etc. Talk about sheep.

There's a demo of the game? How odd! I've only heard there's a hangar module and little space arena to fly around in. I didn't realize the game was finished and there was a demo for it. Direct us to it will you.

Wry

39. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 8, 2015, 12:06 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 04:19:
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 21:46:
That's complete nonsense. You obviously don't understand what's entailed in being a sommelier. For your staging you have to do a blind stage of 12 different wines. Not only do you need to be able to identify the wine, but its composition, and region where it's from. To be a master sommelier is even more difficult. Since the accreditation in 1969 there's only been 220 or so people in the world who've been able to pass the exam. You're using one poorly written article in the Guardian as "study after study"? And they can't even cite one single sommelier? Yeah, ok.
Rolleyes

Regardless of what kind of training people must get to assess wines, the results are poor, resulting in vast inconsistencies, and even inabilities to recognize good wines or even types of wines in blind tests. The article linked to many studies, but since you were too lazy to read it and click on the links, I'll list them below.
Regarding judges (most are wildly inconsistent):
An Examination of Judge Reliability at a major U.S. Wine Competition
How Expert are “Expert” Wine Judges?
The Color of Odors
Regarding the general population (suggestions and recs from experts are lost on them):
DO MORE EXPENSIVE WINES TASTE BETTER? EVIDENCE FROM A LARGE SAMPLE OF BLIND TASTINGS
Expensive wine and cheap plonk taste the same to most people

The bottom line is that wine tasting and wine ratings are by and large run by incompetents (and possibly a scam), and perpetuated by vineyards that want to sell $1 worth of fermented grape juice for $100 per bottle. And then those recs don't even translate to enjoyment for the average person. It's willful avoidance of the issue by people such as yourself that would prefer to live in your wine fantasy land instead of educate yourselves in the way science has pointed.

And yes, median is the correct terminology in this case as it applies to half the population, but 75% when averaging it out instead. Smart people get that.
As I said, in theory averages work like that. In reality, however, intelligence operates on a perfectly symmetrical bell curve. It is therefore impossible for 75% of humanity to be below average, despite your anecdotal experience.

A) That's because they're confusing 'professionals' wine-writers, buyers, negociants, etc. with 'experts' sommeliers. Professional and expert in their respective fields are different things. A professional is one who makes money in field but is not an expert. An expert actually knows what the hell they're talking about.

From the Cambridge study....

"With that criterion, less than 30% of judges who participated in either of the two studies would be considered “expert."

Which fully supports my point.

B) That's not how it perfectly works because nothing works perfectly. It's all just a 'guesstimate' - like a lot of science - that's why I throw in qualifiers like 'about' - or aboot as I'm from Canada - and 'possibly'.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2015, 21:55 Cutter

I wish I had a locomotive. I actually got stuck in a ditch earlier but I managed to get out!!! I was in there for about 10 minutes before this dude rolls up in a Hummer of all things. I had a tow rope - as I always have an emergency kit in the car - but he didn't have a hitch. Anyway super cool guys. We spend another 10 minutes throwing salt from my kit and some pine boughs down to make a path - because it was too deep into push me out - and we made a little runway so I just rocketed out with the forward momentum. I got out of the car and we high-fived! He was laughing his ass off and said he was amazed I got out. Called me a "true Canadian boy".

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2015, 21:49 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 21:18:
What I find surprising is that there are still quite a few people who don't "related" Republicans to Democrats, since they are basically all the same. Coke and Pepsi. They may smell a little different, but they're both bad for you.

Not true at all. They vote quite in opposition to each other most of the time. The Dems are no saints, but they come down on the side of the "people" more often than the Repigs.

25. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 7, 2015, 21:46 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 17:14:
Cutter, I love you man, but there is so much wrong here.
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 13:41:
Not so. It's not just an issue of perspective. Popular almost never equates to good. Take wine for example. Tasting is subjective but you still require a trained palate and a good amount of tasting behind you before you can really start to discern good from bad wine. Most people drink $10 plonk from the liquor store. They've never had a 20+ year old bottle of Bordeaux and therefore have no basis on which to compare 'good' vs. 'bad'.
Wine tasting is so subjective as to be meaningless, even among experts and people with decades of experience, as study after study has shown. They can't tell red from white in blind taste tests, they rate the same wine from different bottles differently, ditto for different labeling, ditto for the same people rate the same wine differently a few weeks apart, etc:
In 2001 Frédérick Brochet of the University of Bordeaux asked 54 wine experts to test two glasses of wine – one red, one white. Using the typical language of tasters, the panel described the red as "jammy' and commented on its crushed red fruit. The critics failed to spot that both wines were from the same bottle. The only difference was that one had been coloured red with a flavourless dye
And this makes no sense:
There's a reason the expression 'half the people you meet are of below average intelligence' exists - some even estimate that to be as high as 75% of society below the median intelligence. So yes, there are a metric shit ton of actual dumb people out there, that's not being mean it's just a fact like death and taxes. In the case of Star Citizen I'd say it's more akin to the quotes ascribed to P.T. Barnum.
First, the saying that "half the people are below average intelligence" is itself an intelligence test of the listener, since of course there's nothing remarkable about that. In a sample set of billions, the average will be at the mid-point, and half the people will be below, and half above. And second, while it might be theoretically possible for 75% of the population to be below average if you had a cadre of 10s of millions of outliers with extremely high intelligence to move the average higher than the general population, studies don't bear that out. And of course that's not possible at all with median intelligence. Median by definition is the midpoint of a group, so by definition half are above and half are below. Thus the statement "as high as 75% of society below the median intelligence" is nonsensical.

That's complete nonsense. You obviously don't understand what's entailed in being a sommelier. For your staging you have to do a blind stage of 12 different wines. Not only do you need to be able to identify the wine, but its composition, and region where it's from. To be a master sommelier is even more difficult. Since the accreditation in 1969 there's only been 220 or so people in the world who've been able to pass the exam. You're using one poorly written article in the Guardian as "study after study"? And they can't even cite one single sommelier? Yeah, ok.
Rolleyes

And yes, median is the correct terminology in this case as it applies to half the population, but 75% when averaging it out instead. Smart people get that.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2015, 16:58 Cutter

Well, I made myself a lovely quiche today, and am making a bolognese sauce right now for tomorrow. Now I have zip out and see if I can't find a little frisee for some roughage, and pop the cork on a little Alsatian Riesling.

15. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 7, 2015, 16:52 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 16:42:
I said the same thing about six months ago: how could the money continue to flow in like this? Certainly by now, nearly two years on (as it was six months ago), everyone must have gotten in at the level they wanted? But a few people on that thread said they'd bought in that week. So I guess there are still people buying in, upgrading, acquiring new ships, etc.

Being entirely honest if this were an investment opportunity I'd be thinking it was a Ponzi scheme. There's just no way. Again, I guess will see what's what by year end.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2015, 14:03 Cutter

Dachande wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 12:09:
Usually Red Hot Chili Peppers Sweatdrop

Hah! Nice one, Centurion. Like it. Like it.
Grin

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2015, 13:47 Cutter

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 12:33:
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 11:45:
Um, wtf Samsung? Not that I buy their shit anyway but that only helps reinforce why I don't want stuff from them and Apple to begin with.

Heh, QFT....

"I believe communications companies may have been having improper influence on this committee. I'd like to see their communications, meetings with company representatives, and any documents in their possession."

sigh ...

Tinfoil hat time, I guess.

The wording in the EULA is fairly obvious that it is only recording and transmitting things when the voice command is activated. It's saying, "we will transmit things you say directly to the TV in the context of a command, if you put personal information into the command, it may be transmitted", not "we will record passive conversations".

It's no different than google transmitting your search results to third parties, and I guarantee other manufacturers who make TVs with similar voice command features note a similar thing in their EULA.

It has the ability to pick up conversations and transmit it to third parties. That's cause for concern. There's nothing conspiratorial about it. And do you pay to use Google? No. Do you know Google already does this? Yes. So again, not the same thing. Not even close.

News Comments > The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot Launches
3. Re: The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot Launches Feb 7, 2015, 13:43 Cutter

Booty time! Booty time! Across the USA!

6. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 7, 2015, 13:41 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 12:41:
Lately I've been seeing this "Chimp level intelligence", every reference I've seen has always been way beyond that. So what online games do chimps play today? Where are they putting their money?

Seems reading between then lines it is just another way to say "if they don't have my view or ideals, somethings wrong with them".

Not so. It's not just an issue of perspective. Popular almost never equates to good. Take wine for example. Tasting is subjective but you still require a trained palate and a good amount of tasting behind you before you can really start to discern good from bad wine. Most people drink $10 plonk from the liquor store. They've never had a 20+ year old bottle of Bordeaux and therefore have no basis on which to compare 'good' vs. 'bad'. The same thing holds true for art, architecture, etc. There's a reason the expression 'half the people you meet are of below average intelligence' exists - some even estimate that to be as high as 75% of society below the median intelligence. So yes, there are a metric shit ton of actual dumb people out there, that's not being mean it's just a fact like death and taxes. In the case of Star Citizen I'd say it's more akin to the quotes ascribed to P.T. Barnum.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2015, 12:03 Cutter

Dachande wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 11:37:
I never eaten any spicy food until I moved from the UK to the USA, Mexican food is now my favorite. I never understand people that eat mild spicy food when you have the option to eat the core from the sun. It hurts like hell but at least you know you're alive, for a few minutes anyway.

Because some of us prefer to actually taste our food perhaps? What's the point in eating molten food when all you get is heat? There are other ways to get an endorphin rush without self-torture. Thanks but I'll take a nice T-bone or porterhouse Chicago or Florentine style and a luscious cabernet sauvignon any day of the week.

BTW what music do you listen to when you eat hot food? Donna Summer's Hot Stuff, or Buster Poindexter's cover of Feeling Hot?
Devil

20616 Comments. 1031 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo