Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 17745 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
14. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 12:47 Cutter

Whatevs.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization May 22, 2014, 02:06 Cutter

harlock wrote on May 22, 2014, 01:31:
“Taking LSD was a profound experience, one of the most important things in my life. LSD shows you that there's another side to the coin, and you can’t remember it when it wears off, but you know it. It reinforced my sense of what was important—creating great things instead of making money, putting things back into the stream of history and of human consciousness as much as I could.”

- Steve Jobs

Couldn't imagine a better quote. I was all military gung-ho. In Air Cadets for years, set to join the Air Force, fly jets and all of that. Then I dosed and it was all sweetness and light after that. I'd like everyone to dose at least once. What a better world this would be.

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
16. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 02:00 Cutter

Cabezone wrote on May 22, 2014, 00:47:
VR will eventually make it, whether it's occulous or someone else.

Yeah. Sure. Just like 3D. If you're envisioning Snow Crash, there's a long way to go brother.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer May 22, 2014, 00:46 Cutter

mellis wrote on May 21, 2014, 20:56:
You wish Batman would just start killing the villains. I mean, you'd think after 3+ outings (Asylum, City etc), the population of Gotham would be getting a little tired of being whittled down by homicidal maniacs, especially given their reoffending rate.

There are worse things than death. Like being crippled and left alive by the Batman. That's how it works. Killing people is easy. Crippling them equates to fear. If you were a criminal and Bats asked you for information and your choices were to tell him or spend life in a wheelchair shitting in a bag, what would you choose?

12. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 00:42 Cutter

clint wrote on May 21, 2014, 21:12:
in interviews before all this, carmack said he was doing oculus outside of his Id work. like a side project. Are Zenimax saying they own him 24/7 and own everything he does until he quits.
I would hate to have a job like that. If you started a new business while working at another job, your new business is now owned by your old employer?

I havent seen anything that zenimax's contributed to except to say they OWNED carmack and everything he did while alive and breathing. Both Carmack and zenimax say it wasnt a zenimax project and carmack wasnt allow to do or use anything oculus under their brand.... until it got money that is.

And does anyone believe Luckey would have signed a 'give exclusive ownership to information' contract?

Yes, but that's how it works. At the height of my IT career I was a sales engineer for a multinational based out of Israel. Beyond the proprietary software and hardware the made for CRM - my division - they also did a lot of military stuff - spectral listening systems and all kinds of crazy shit.

Now, even being a mid-level drone I still had to sign a NDA and Non-Compete clause that was in-effect for 3 years after I left, or was dismissed or terminated. The major value of buying someone like iD goes beyond the goodwill of potential sales and is reliant on the talent. Specifically, someone like Carmack.

Now anyone who is familiar with his history can see that all he did was dial it in on Rage. ZeniMax wasn't obviously happy about that. Sure he fulfilled his contract to the letter of the law but he didn't given them anything good - which is what they wanted.

So now John and and others are doing what really interests them, yet they're still under contract. So yes, they do own him inasmuch as that he was contributing work to something else that Zenimax didn't own a share of. That, in a nutshell, is their property.

And yes, Lucky may have been that dumb to sign that sort of agreement. Many smarter people have made worse deals.

Point is, most think companies sue each other at the drop of a hat, and that's not so. It's a long, involved, expensive process. And they do not do so lightly. Consider it. If you had an employee under contract and he was doing work to make other people money, you'd probably be a little pissed too and want your finger in that pie.

And from everything I've seen and read on this issue....it looks like they have a very strong case. In the end it doesn't matter however. VR is going to be the same sort of washout fad that 3D was - multiple times.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 21, 2014, 20:49 Cutter

85K killer toy.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 21, 2014, 20:48 Cutter

So Apple has zero problem exploiting people for profit, but wants to moralize over whether people should use weed. Typical.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer May 21, 2014, 20:47 Cutter

Rocksteady + Kevin Conroy = Hells yeah! If they could get the Hamster to return for a guest spot I'd go berserk!

2. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 21, 2014, 20:43 Cutter

They don't go into this stuff on a whim. Obviously Carmack was under non-compete and exclusivity clauses so this should be interesting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2014, 19:45 Cutter

Sorry to hear that Qube. While I've never been a cat guy I do like them. I've only owned two of them. First one was a nightmare. Second one was probably the smartest animal I've ever known. She was amazing in so many ways.

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
8. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 21, 2014, 18:07 Cutter

PHJF wrote on May 21, 2014, 16:47:
At what point will this work across set-top boxes like Amazon Fire or Tivo? If somebody could plunk $100 on an Amazon Fire and use this, that would really put Steam Boxes out to pasture before they're even out of the womb.

Well Steam can certainly afford the experiment. I really wish they'd just spend some time and money on making a better client at this point. I really could care less about Big Screen, this, and all the other stuff they're doing. I would like to see some major changes to a client that has basically remained unchanged since it launched.

- Thinner, faster client
- Easier way to manage and catagorize games.
- Friggin' context clicking in the client so I can open a store page in a seperate window.
- Skins - some color themes beyond black would be nice.

And other stuff I've thought about and forgot over the years.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2014, 10:59 Cutter

Glassholes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2014, 10:58 Cutter

My brother had to put his dog down last fall. And they just got a new Husky puppy a few months back. While he loves her and she'll grow out of it he regrets not getting an older rescue dog - as was his old one. He forgot just how much work a puppy is. Toilet training, the boundless energy and chewing the hell out of everything. Much better to grab one 2 or 3 years old instead.

I'm too busy for a dog atm but in the next year or two I'd like to be in a position to get another German Sheppard. I know my mom is considering getting one of those little Cavalier dogs. Anyone have experience with those? She's retired and I understand they're well suited to that sort of lifestyle.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Preorders Soar
5. Re: Tropico 5 Preorders Soar May 21, 2014, 10:10 Cutter

Yeah, I've been tempted but Ima wait and see. It sure looks good so far however.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 21, 2014, 00:46 Cutter

Yes, but that could possibly constitute fraud. If they knew it wouldn't be enough and took the money anyway. We'll see, but it looks like someone is going to be made an example of.

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews May 21, 2014, 00:44 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on May 21, 2014, 00:13:
I am up for this!

You gotta' get up to get down.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transistor
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transistor May 21, 2014, 00:22 Cutter

Music and art sure are nice. Not $30 nice, but $10'ish when it's on sale. Yeah, I'll go in then. And yeah, one reviewer said he did it all in 6 hours so it's short.

5. Re: Evening Mobilization May 20, 2014, 21:19 Cutter

Steele Johnson wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:58:
HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:17:
There just so expensive, to say it replaced laptops. You can get decent general purpose laptops for $300-$400. The cheapest i3 Surface is $780. How can you think to replace something with double the cost? MS you funny guys.

These are targeting businesses, not the casual user that just reads web pages and plays mobile games. And you cannot get a decent business laptop for $300 - $400. At that range, they're all sh!t. So yeah, go buy a chomebook if all you want to do is browse. If you want to get real work done and also have a touch interface, MS is going in the right direction while the casual companies neglect business needs.

Oh hogwash! You can get a 17" Laptop with better specs for $1000. So why would my company buy a 12" tablet for 2k and another $500 for the keyboard and other bells and whistles it needs. No sane business is going to drop $2500 for something better they can get for a grand.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2014, 00:45.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 20, 2014, 21:09 Cutter

Woo sounds like they're gunning to send some people to prison.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 20, 2014, 20:56 Cutter

Helicopter Pilot: Welcome to Itchy and Scratchy Land, where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Uh, possibLY go wrong. Huh, that's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

17745 Comments. 888 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo