Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 18228 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 18:39 Cutter

Asmo wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:08:
Ah North Korea, you're still making Muslim extremists seem balanced and reasonable...

Uh not really. Seeing as muslims are out actively killing people daily and all NK ever does is talk. In fact, I suspect most of the world would probably like to see them actually do something for once.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 17:29 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:39:
Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:40:
Use it or lose it. That's what happens with age. It's why you absolutely NEED to be active regularly and SHOULD be doing something like Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates, or just stretching in general - ever notice how much cats stretch all the time?

What Cutter said. A few years ago, work got so busy that I stopped working out for about a year. I got nasty, nasty capsulitis in both shoulders. I couldn't even put my shirt on over my head without help. Went to the Dr. and got diagnosed. He said hit the pool, but it wouldn't get completely better. I didn't swim, but I did start stretching and doing basic calisthenics daily. When I could, I started body weight exercises. Now, several years later, I'm completely pain free and have full range of motion.

I want all of you to get one of these.

Concept 2 Rowers

It's what the Olympians use. There is no better combined strength and cardio exercise, period. I was never fitter in my life then when I was rowing and will be returning to it next month. And that aside when you row, row, row your boat gently down the stream you find that merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Ahoy

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 17:24 Cutter

Numinar wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:12:
Streets of Munchen are very quiet given the win in the footy.... guess everyone considered it a formality.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for a bit of territorial creativity Cutter, It would be nice for the locals to win a modern war at least once in history, but the Bundeswehr barely has the manpower to invade a Chzech Beergarten these days.

You lead the charge mein Herr and I'll gladly invade a beergarten with you! Cheers

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2014, 17:20 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:22:
Massachusetts high court orders suspect to decrypt his computers.

The idiot bragged to cops that the drives were all encrypted and he had the password. If he'd taken the fifth from the beginning, they'd not be able to demand this of him. Remember, NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE. Watch the whole thing. It could mean your freedom. Even if you think you've done nothing wrong, just don't do it. It's not worth it. Under the law, you have to identify yourself to the police, and of course follow their instructions in the interest of public safety, but you don't have to answer their questions. Never do. Apologies to Bats and other police officers, as I know this makes your job more difficult, but there you have it.

Actually stop-and-identify is different on a state by state basis and only 24 currently have some version of it. That aside, you're right. Just shut up. Don't talk about the weather, sports, anything. The only two things that need to come out of your mouth are "Am I under arrest or am I free to go?" and if under arrest, "I want my lawyer."

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2014, 17:11 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:10:
Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:33:
Yeah, a bunch of wage slaves with no benefits really give a shit if Best Buy survives or not. Want employees on your side? Start actually treating them well.

Costco is the model here. Although, given the competition with Amazon, I don't see how Best Buy brick and mortar survives, even with Amazon charging state sales tax in all 50 states. It's just way too easy and efficient to buy from them.

Yeah my cuz has worked for Costco for 15 years and loves it. Have you heard of WinCo foods? Apparently these guys are even better and growing like gangbusters. Employee owned, profit sharing, pension plan, full benefits, etc. Employees seem to really love that place. And now WinCo is growing in leaps and bounds because of it. That's smart!

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
42. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 16:48 Cutter

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 13:46:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:33:
C'mon Cuts, your Minecraft hate only comes across as jealousy. Also, there's no such thing as an in-crowd.

And everything else you have to say is invalid after that statement.

you just don't offer any valid criticism of the game other than saying its a bandwagon affair. Newsflash, most popular things start off as a bandwagon, but Minecraft has absolutely transcended all boundaries. Like I said, (you read it) it's a cultural phenomenon. It reaches almost everyone now. This in-crowd of which you speak, is almost everyone but you. the "in-crowd" is just phrase used to disparage something.

Clearly you don't understand a thing about sociology. You can do a doctorate on the topic if you like but I'll keep it simple.

"What is a cultural phenomenom?

A cultural phenomenon, also known as the bandwagon effect, occurs when certain individuals behave a certain way merely because other individuals do as well. An example of a cultural phenomenon is the trend of sending flowers on Valentine's Day.

A cultural phenomenon also occurs when something or someone gains widespread popularity. This includes everything from films to musical artists to clothing styles. The thing that gains popularity is not a cultural phenomenon; rather, the cultural phenomenon is the process of something becoming popular. For example, Beyonce accumulating a large fan base is a cultural phenomenon. The theory is people are more prone to like something because other people like it."

And yes, the in-crowd isn't me. Never has been, never will be. I disparage anyone who goes along because it's the easy thing to do. Because they're afraid to be on the outside. I've rebelled my whole life over that shit. Maybe I'm just a contrarian but the idea of living a life going to BBQs and ballgames, and hanging out around the water cooler talking about American Idol or playing Minecraft simply because other people do makes me throw up in my mouth.

What criticism of the actual game do I need to provide? That its ugly? That other games have editors that allow you build stuff? If you think mining pixels or voxels or whatever the fuck they are is the height of culture then you're only proving my point for me.

What exactly does Minecraft provide as an actual game that no other game can provide. Please educate me. What exactly is the draw that's so utterly compelling and unique about it? I tried it for all of 30 minutes and I literally found that watching paint dry was far more entertaining. Literally.

No, it's a cultural phenomenon. One member of the herd hears about it and is told that this is what all the cool kids are doing. And being the conformist he is he can risk social alienation or he can go along with the crowd. Then when someone asks him about it it gives him a sense of validation and self-importance. And the cycle continues.

I'll just leave this here on my way out....
Conformity

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 14:00 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:50:
I have a nasty suspicion that Der Mannschaft is going to wallop the shit out of the US.

Then Portugal will beat Ghana by 11 goals, meaning they go on, and not the US.

Then everyone at my company will be so pissed off that we close, and I get the afternoon off.

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

Yes Deutschland wins! Seig...oh wait.

34. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 13:46 Cutter

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:33:
C'mon Cuts, your Minecraft hate only comes across as jealousy. Also, there's no such thing as an in-crowd.

And everything else you have to say is invalid after that statement.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 11:40 Cutter

Use it or lose it. That's what happens with age. It's why you absolutely NEED to be active regularly and SHOULD be doing something like Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates, or just stretching in general - ever notice how much cats stretch all the time?

And with Germany's forthcoming victory today I feel we should annex the Sudetenland in celebration...oh wait!

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2014, 11:33 Cutter

Yeah, a bunch of wage slaves with no benefits really give a shit if Best Buy survives or not. Want employees on your side? Start actually treating them well.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2014, 11:19 Cutter

GOJIRA!!!  

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game
2. Re: Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game Jun 26, 2014, 11:14 Cutter

Triple A and F2P are completely different things. And wtf is Triad Wars?!?!  

23. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 11:12 Cutter

Well, when a thing gets popular enough it becomes self-fufilling. Look at Pet Rocks, the guy sold millions of those. Remember the riots in the stores at Xmas in the 80s when people couldn't get Cabbage Patch Kids? Minecraft is simply something people have to have to be part of the in-crowd. Like all theses sorts of one offs it's a fluke. Still, would be nice to have that kind of luck because you only need it once.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 25, 2014, 21:22 Cutter

ViRGE wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 18:13:
Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:29:
eSports competitors have had a hard time being recognised by the US government. League of Legends was last year deemed a professional sport by the US government, meaning international competitors can now travel to the US as professional athletes.

Oh lord. And the US wonders why it has an obesity epidemic.
It's a classification for visa purposes, not a statement on physical activity.

Uh, I fucking know. Is there some reason they can't be considered professional gamers?

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Jun 25, 2014, 21:20 Cutter

Kythlyn wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 16:03:
Wonder when/if this'll be F2P.

Six more months.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jun 25, 2014, 21:16 Cutter

That was pretty funny.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 25, 2014, 21:01 Cutter

I know. Everyone of these fucking stories is the same. Some idiot opens a file. Computer crime almost solely exists because it's a PEBCAK issue.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 25, 2014, 21:00 Cutter

"Develop a conscience!"

Sorry, honey, you either have one or you don't and most suits don't.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 25, 2014, 20:52 Cutter

Larry Ellison would never apologize. And that's the way to handle it.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 20:44 Cutter

Looks awesome...except for the real time gameplay, sigh. Always hated that shit in Bioware games too. All you do is end up pausing every few seconds to issue orders anyway so you may as well just go turn-based. If if gets made and the reviews are good I'll go in then.

18228 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo