Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 16516 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
8. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:36 Cutter

NKD wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:32:
Minecraft already works on Oculus Rift, sorry Notch.

RIP Oculus Rift.

I catch any of you fuckers buying one of these from this point forward I will make sure you know no peace on the Blue's News comments section.

Why? What's your vested interest in this? Did Zuck have your family killed or something? This was never going to be more than a niche product anwyay. Granted FB will find some way to pervert it, but let the market decide. If you kicked in on the KS then demand your money back.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
4. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:33 Cutter

In the words of the Joker...."Commence au festivale!"

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
48. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 20:31 Cutter

Tom wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:19:
Oh ok then, so VR is no more sophisticated than a TV or a refrigerator. Nevermind that these companies can't even get TVs right most of the time.

What did FB buy? They bought the people with the energy and potential to make something huge. Again, it comes down to Luckey Palmer and the team that formed around him.

And how do you figure wearing a TV on your face will be huge? Christ, all of a year ago they were still touting how 3D was here to stay and we saw how that worked out. And those were just some stupid glasses you had to wear. You're talking about several thousand people - 9,522 to be precise - that raised 2.5 million over their initial asking of 250k. Several thousand people does not a revolution make.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 20:24 Cutter

Thanks Beamer. You make some really excellent points on this matter. Still, I can't help thinking there has to be an angle to all of this somewhere that no one else is seeing yet. Obviously companies make bad decisions from time to time but this is just so out in left field. As someone else pointed out with Whatsapp, FB just acquired several million more people they can monetize with their partners. But as you've said, not so with the OR.

Not now, or likely ever at this point. So maybe Bobob has the right of it. Maybe some of their patents look pretty sweet in the long term. Otherwise it's like you said, Zuck just thinks this is keen and wants it. It seems like their shareholders are pretty worried about this too. I'd wager Zuck will be pushed out as CEO before too long.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 20:07 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:56:
What patents are involved in the purchase?

Excellent question! And probably the one the purchase hinged on more than anything else. I didn't even stop to consider that.

Still....enh...I can't see it. Maybe the groundwork for some very long term plans 20 years from now? But by that point I can't see anyone wanting to wear anything as cumbersome as that. More like the device Jim Carrey's Riddler invented in that Batman movie where it beams shit straight into your brain. Then again, like the Batman movie, that means they can snoop out everything in your brain too!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:59 Cutter

Seriously Beamer, you're our resident biz guy. I'm not being a dick about this, explain or lay our some scenarios here that show the potential upside that justifies this acquisition because I sure as shit don't see any - any positive ones at any rate.

Edit: Oh yeah, just saw that Wall St. isn't happy about this and FB lost almost 2 billion off it's valuation today.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:57 Cutter

Ok, then what's the upside here? As I asked. Not even counting what they'll have to pay developers - and they will have to pay now - how many headsets will they have to sell to break even? What's the price point they think they'll get to? $300?

And unless we're talking about Snow Crash type VR here why would anyone except a hardcore gamer want it? I could see limited application in military/science/engineering, but again, very niche.

I'm saying that 2 billion on an unproven device is insanity. Shit, this reminds me of all the Dot Com craziness going on. Yeah, some people made out like bandits, but most lost, and very little of it ever materialized into anything worthwhile.

And consider FB's modus operandi. They only make money by monetizing the shit out of everything. So obviously they have no intention of just selling the headsets for people to use without something else in the works that will make them ongoing profit. And that means tracking and advertising. Well shit, people deal with that crap without a cumbersome headset of a few hundred dollars. Hell, just look at how well the Kinect has worked out, lol.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:46 Cutter

Just saw this in a report....

Finally, Oculus said in the next 10 years virtual reality will become "ubiquitous, affordable, and transformative."

Oh really? So it's going to be Snow Crash for everyone in 10 years is it? Hrm, still waiting for my flying car, meals in pill form, and swingin' bachelor pad on the moon.

Zuck is rattling on how this is the future? Ok, a niche market of gaming geeks wearing these are one thing. But the populous at large wielding these monstrosities to social network? Check email? Hang out together and watch movies, sports, etc? Uh huh, yeah. Sure. Take another hit off that pipe Zuck.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:37 Cutter

Well, as I said in the other thread they owe their backers nothing beyond what was promised so as long as they get that, all is well on that front.

But $2B for this and $19B for Whatsapp leads me to believe that the management at FB is utterly insane at this point. It also leads me to believe that FB will crash and burn in the most spectacular manner sooner rather than later. It'll be a textbook study in business school upon how to not count one's chickens before they hatch.

Honestly, does anyone think the OR has a future now? I can see it now....every OR integrated with FB. Every OR owner being tracked in every game and getting FB alerts and ads all the time.

Do they really think this is a device capable of selling over 2 BILLION dollars? How many millions of headsets is that? How much grease going to developers to ensure they develop for the OR?

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
51. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 19:30 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:08:
Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:04:
NKD wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 18:52:
Give zero fucks about Polydeux's opinion.

I wish the media would stop giving him airtime.

This is about to be the top "Popular Thread" here.
Of course he gets airtime. He gets nonstop clickthroughs.

And besides, what would we all argue about otherwise?

Like John Lennon said kids, 'Enjoying wasting time, isn't time wasted.'

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode Two
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode Two Mar 25, 2014, 19:23 Cutter

Bundy wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:03:
You should go look at the official oculus forums. They're lighting up. The sale is almost universally panned by the backers. Both worried about what this means to the PC gamers base, and to kick starter backers wondering where their share of the 2 billion is.

Sorry, did you say 2 BILLION? Cereal? And how much was it for Whatsapp or whatever it's called? Heh, yeah, ok, clearly the management team at Facebook is not high on fucking drugs and insane. Man, when FB crashes and burns it'll be one for the books.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode Two Mar 25, 2014, 19:21 Cutter

Well, for anyone who backed it all your owed is a working headset, right? So long as they deliver the deal is done. Of course, this doesn't bode well for it's longevity, but then again, that sort of thing is always an unknown to begin with.

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed
17. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed Mar 25, 2014, 16:54 Cutter

DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 16:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 16:18:
Wildone wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 09:59:
LOL it didn't stop them before!

Yeah, but things change when you get sued...by your own shareholders.

Not really, that went nowhere fast.

Regardless, it's still the sort of thing that makes corporate sit up and pay attention. That can hurt share price and that's the ultimate taboo.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode Two Mar 25, 2014, 16:53 Cutter

It's too bad they didn't do both of these as a standalone. I really don't want to reinstall Infinite for just these. Enh, maybe one day.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 16:52 Cutter

nin wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 09:46:
The Funnies

I'm going to guess you got that mixed with "followup"?

edit: Great Ah-nold clip!

Lol! That was funny.

And Blue, hope you enjoy your Audio Technica headphones. It's what all discerning people of good taste purchase.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 16:47 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 15:24:
InBlack wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 09:58:
With regards to MS and Marijuana: I have a couple of friends who suffer from MS and Marijuana is the only drug to reliably help them.

I know whenever I suffer from MS, marijuana is the only thing that helps. The frustration is intense every time I boot into Windows.

On a serious note: I'm glad that your friends are able to get a supply. Know hope: the war on drugs has been proven to be a failure, and countries are looking for alternatives. Look at the success Portugal has had with decriminalization. It's only a matter of time before momentum builds and other countries follow suit. And with a new pope who is more focused on compassion over control, maybe the Vatican will soften it's tone as well.

And how can the Church oppose it when God creating weed is in Genesis - that's where the Rastafarians take their lead from. Just taking the church's point of view that God created everything in nature then he obviously made weed for a reason, right?

We were set to decriminalize pot in Canada until the conservatives came to power and reverted back to their antiquated ways. Christ, they even have an ad running now attacking the Liberal party for wanting to decriminalize pot saying it's going to turn kids into addicts. It's like something out of the 1950s. And they wonder why so many people see them as out of touch when over half the country has either toked or still does on a regular basis.

Of the half dozen or so times I got caught with pot back in my toking days only one cop ever took what I had and crushed it under his boot. Even then I didn't get a ticket, just and admonishment to 'keep it indoors'. The rest all just said the same thing and went on their way. I've never know anyone who's been busted for pot - unless they were partying hard and being idiots and even then that was due to booze being involved.

I'm so glad Colorado and Washington have managed it. Hey look at that, pot isn't a crime any longer in those states and somehow bloody anarchy and chaos hasn't ensued! Imagine that! Derp.

Long past due to tax the churches too. The Catholic Church is the richest corporation on the planet. They could wipe out poverty themselves and they don't, which shows you what their real priorities are.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 25, 2014, 16:35 Cutter

This is still the single best book I've ever read on the CIA....

Killing Hope: U.S. and C.I.A. Interventions Since World War II

The scope of what the CIA alone have done simply boggles the mind. Lord knows what all the other various agencies have been doing as well. And that's the scary things.

17 Agencies of the US Intelligence Community.

Really? The US really needs 17 different agencies?

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
44. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 16:27 Cutter

The nature of the beast is always cyclical. Same thing in all media. Indie, much like corporate, sees its highs and lows over and over. Everything gets too corporate for a while and the inevitable backlash results in an indie wave and then people tire of that and back to corporate. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Always repeat. This is just human nature.

And why wouldn't you take the money? If someone wants to pull up a dump truck full of cash for me to make something I'll happily take it. It's like you can't ever go indie again. It's just now you don't have to worry about money problems.

My 5 year plan for my company is to eventually sell it for a schwack of cash. Whether I do anything again after that is fairly immaterial. I just want enough dosh I don't have to worry about money ever again. If that makes me a sellout, fine. I'll cry about it on my yacht in the Carribean.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined
24. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined Mar 25, 2014, 16:20 Cutter

One thing I have to give Diablo, is I still like the flavour of the game best of any ARPG. Games like Torchlight are too stylized for my tastes, and something is just missing in games like Van Helsing.  

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed
15. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed Mar 25, 2014, 16:18 Cutter

Wildone wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 09:59:
LOL it didn't stop them before!

Yeah, but things change when you get sued...by your own shareholders.

16516 Comments. 826 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo