Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 16470 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves
18. Re: Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves Mar 26, 2014, 22:17 Cutter

They should give them guns that shoot pumpkins they're forced to eat.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2014, 16:43 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:44:
I envy you Blue, reading the books for the first time was fucking awesome! Also, I highly recomend Martin's Fevre Dream. Its a rather strange novel but I found it to be at least as good as anything from the Ice and Fire saga and miles better than any of the convulted vampire shit that passes for fantasy or science fiction these days...

The Wild Cards series is the way to go. Even though he's only the editor, some of the best writers in sci-fi fantasy have created such fantastic stuff for this series. They really need to make some CRPGs based on this series!!!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 16:30 Cutter

I find their Tamriel to be rather watered down and bland. The sheer volume of bugs at this stage is unforgivable. Over half of the quests I did couldn't be completed. On the orc island I think there were only 3 or 4 I could complete and therefore had no way off the island. This at 2 weeks before launch? Cereal?

Classes. TES are class free games. If they're going to do classes then they should have done all the classics instead of 4 crappy hybrids.

Console game. It's a console game with a console UI. I hate that shit so much! It's like DCUO. You feel completely crippled and limited playing games like this on the PC when you compare them to things like CoX or most any other PC MMO with a few hotbars worth of stuff at your disposal. Then they take the absolute worst aspects of Skyrim - the console UI for inventory, quests, etc and use that!!! Wtf?

Crafting is shite and far too hard to grind basic stuff. Christ, you can even craft multiple items! You have to sit there and click create item over and over.

100s of other people all doing the same boring quests as you - the chosen one - make it considerably less special.

I could go on and on pulling this game apart but it's not worth my time. They not only fail to leave the worst of TES behind and improve it, they fail to advance the MMO genre and actually move backward in many cases. They made just about every wrong decision possible in creating this game.

Bethsoft are fools for wasting money on this and instead should have worked on doing limited MP/Co-Op for the next TES title instead. This is just 100 mil - or whatever it is - down the drain.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 16:20 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:16:
Who would have paid $2B for the iPhone before it was released? Who wouldn't pay that now? Of course for every gamble that pays off quite a few fail, as the article points out, but I think it comes down to Facebook gambling that this will go further than anyone really understands at this point.

Yeah, but everyone needs a phone. This is a very niche product even amongst gamers. So Occulus has no patents and a tech that's easily reproducible by larger companies like Sony, MS, Samsung, et al. And FB paid 2 billion for this? That's just laughable - unless your an FB stockholder in which case it's time get rid of Zuckerberg.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 15:38 Cutter

This game is just awful. Definitely F2P within the year. Probably 6 months.  

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
74. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 00:31 Cutter

First off Carmack is there because he wants to be, not that he needs the dosh. And I can guarantee to that right now that someone of his stature is beholden to no one. He may have had a contract with Rage but that's why he dialed it in. He sure as shit didn't join OR for the money and he very definitely came on his own terms and can leave as such. Johnny doesn't need the money unlike most of the guys working on this. The man is simply interested in the tech, and if it doesn't pan out the way he wants you can expect and announcement he's going his own way,

Until these guys actually deliver what they promise, everything else is moot. Worst you'll see is a handful of lawsuits which OR will now happily pay off.

Otherwise wake me when they change the world, lol.

61. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:16 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 23:05:
DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 22:49:
http://brandsumo.com/files/facebookvr.jpg

got to recoup that 2billion somehow right?

That's depressing. Not what the picture shows but that the picture exists. It's disappointing that Facebook has bought Oculus but perspective is needed and this is only going to discourage content creation.

I fear some developers could really lose out by over-reacting to this and ditching Rift support, only to be left behind. Even if the Rift is a disaster, it has already shown enough that alternatives are surely being designed right now. Developing for VR is worth considering and that means developing for the Rift at this moment in time, even if you don't intend to include Rift support when you actually ship your software. It would be a shame if some really good content never got made because the developer got cold feet and missed the boat.

Time is money. So why would you develop anything for this unless it was guaranteed income? This is why I said, devs will not only not do it now, but expect to be paid for it unless they know it wil justify sales, which it won't.

Everyone here going to run out and buy Win8 for DX12 are they? Heh, let me know how that works out.

60. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:12 Cutter

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 23:00:
Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:53:
Can you really see your average household family of four sitting around the dinner table wearing these cumbersome things on their heads?
Someone said that about raising sheep in Farmville as well.... I also remember people saying texting was a Japanese fad...

And again did they have to wear TVs on their face to do that? No. I'm sure you believe that 3D wasn't another fad - once again - either right? So beyond a gaming or military/scientific/engineering application why would most people want one of these again? Oh right, they won't. Same as all the millions of assholes who bought Kinects for the the Xbox which all now sit gathering dust.

I could be wrong of course, I'm sure the Spybox 360 crowds will have zero problem adopting this. And of course they won't sit around gathering dust either after the initial 'ooh aahh' of the first two weeks has worn off.

You heard it here first, fellas, VR is the future. I mean its not like we've ever heard that before. Lol!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 25, 2014, 23:01 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:45:
Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:43:
Yes, but even stocks - legally - are still paper and barter sill involves physical goods being exchanged. So the electron is now property is it? Well, shit, we're all in massive arrears on our back taxes in that case!

Stocks actually haven't been paper for years.

What about negotiable bearer bonds?

17. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:53 Cutter

So beyond a very niche market of gamers to begin with. How can they monetize this? Military? Science? Engineering? Again very niche, very specific applications.

Can you really see your average household family of four sitting around the dinner table wearing these cumbersome things on their heads?

No, as we were talking about in the other thread, I think there's something we're not seeing yet. Possible potential long term stuff with patents acquired sort of thing. Does anyone have the inside track on patents the OR team has? Because that has to be it. There's no way they'll ever make this back selling headsets. There must be a bigger, long term plan at work unless - as Beamer said- Zuck just thinks it's cool and wants it. Which really doesn't go over with public companies. And for those who missed it, correspondingly, FB lost 1.6 billion in valuation today after the announcement.

Now, if they can deliver a Gibson/Snow Crash type VR I'm in, otherwise don't waste my time.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 25, 2014, 20:45 Cutter

So they seriously believe that? Ok, then I seriously wonder why loonies like this aren't locked up? Religious extemists like this are terrorists. They're a detriment to society as a whole.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 25, 2014, 20:43 Cutter

Yes, but even stocks - legally - are still paper and barter sill involves physical goods being exchanged. So the electron is now property is it? Well, shit, we're all in massive arrears on our back taxes in that case!

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Mar 25, 2014, 20:41 Cutter

The Revolution does not go better with coke.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Mar 25, 2014, 20:40 Cutter

Hells yeah! And this is precisely what I've been waiting for. Time to get back to truckin'! Can't wait to see what ATS will be like.

Edit: Yeah! There it is! 413 meg update!

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2014, 20:56.

8. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:36 Cutter

NKD wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:32:
Minecraft already works on Oculus Rift, sorry Notch.

RIP Oculus Rift.

I catch any of you fuckers buying one of these from this point forward I will make sure you know no peace on the Blue's News comments section.

Why? What's your vested interest in this? Did Zuck have your family killed or something? This was never going to be more than a niche product anwyay. Granted FB will find some way to pervert it, but let the market decide. If you kicked in on the KS then demand your money back.

4. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:33 Cutter

In the words of the Joker...."Commence au festivale!"

48. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 20:31 Cutter

Tom wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:19:
Oh ok then, so VR is no more sophisticated than a TV or a refrigerator. Nevermind that these companies can't even get TVs right most of the time.

What did FB buy? They bought the people with the energy and potential to make something huge. Again, it comes down to Luckey Palmer and the team that formed around him.

And how do you figure wearing a TV on your face will be huge? Christ, all of a year ago they were still touting how 3D was here to stay and we saw how that worked out. And those were just some stupid glasses you had to wear. You're talking about several thousand people - 9,522 to be precise - that raised 2.5 million over their initial asking of 250k. Several thousand people does not a revolution make.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 20:24 Cutter

Thanks Beamer. You make some really excellent points on this matter. Still, I can't help thinking there has to be an angle to all of this somewhere that no one else is seeing yet. Obviously companies make bad decisions from time to time but this is just so out in left field. As someone else pointed out with Whatsapp, FB just acquired several million more people they can monetize with their partners. But as you've said, not so with the OR.

Not now, or likely ever at this point. So maybe Bobob has the right of it. Maybe some of their patents look pretty sweet in the long term. Otherwise it's like you said, Zuck just thinks this is keen and wants it. It seems like their shareholders are pretty worried about this too. I'd wager Zuck will be pushed out as CEO before too long.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 20:07 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:56:
What patents are involved in the purchase?

Excellent question! And probably the one the purchase hinged on more than anything else. I didn't even stop to consider that.

Still....enh...I can't see it. Maybe the groundwork for some very long term plans 20 years from now? But by that point I can't see anyone wanting to wear anything as cumbersome as that. More like the device Jim Carrey's Riddler invented in that Batman movie where it beams shit straight into your brain. Then again, like the Batman movie, that means they can snoop out everything in your brain too!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:59 Cutter

Seriously Beamer, you're our resident biz guy. I'm not being a dick about this, explain or lay our some scenarios here that show the potential upside that justifies this acquisition because I sure as shit don't see any - any positive ones at any rate.

Edit: Oh yeah, just saw that Wall St. isn't happy about this and FB lost almost 2 billion off it's valuation today.

16470 Comments. 824 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo