Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 19146 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 21, 2014, 11:22 Cutter

It's beautifully designed, but it's not really that open at all. They may be large maps but they're still just zones at the end of the day, and you really can't go everywhere. Now Skyrim is what I'd call incredibly open, or something like WoW.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2014, 22:23 Cutter

Shit, how about they'll probably just claim eminent domain instead? That or just set up shop somewhere else. It's not like they're spending their money.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 20, 2014, 20:38 Cutter

garrywong wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 19:39:
Brands are wasting time and money on advertising.

No shit. There was a big study last year from Princeton or something said that around 75% of Fortune 1000 companies now feel social media is a waste of money for advertising and are hugely scaling back on those fronts. I know I never look at companies websites. I look at their website and may link something interesting on it on FB for my friends, but that's it.

And who's going to call Comcast on their BS when they don't deliver - as per usual.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 20, 2014, 20:34 Cutter

Dragontail glass ftw!

News Comments > New Steam Early Access Guidelines
2. Re: New Steam Early Access Guidelines Nov 20, 2014, 20:31 Cutter

Indeed. I don't even think Steam should be permitted to sell EA games unless they're forced to cover refunds in case it doesn't work out. At the very least they shouldn't be listing the games until they're in beta. At least that demonstrates the devs are serious and commited, not just looking for some fast bucks then split. Enh, whatevs, I'm so done with EA, crowdfunding, etc. Complete finished products or not at all, please and thank you.

News Comments > Goat Simulator MMO Update Released
2. Re: Goat Simulator MMO Update Released Nov 20, 2014, 20:27 Cutter

This is all pretty funny.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2014, 15:51 Cutter

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:34:
Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:16:
Does anyone here smoke sausage?

Uh...no, but a tranny might be able to help you with that.

Haha zing! Biker

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2014, 15:51 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:47:
Or 50 years in prison for sharing JSTOR docs. Just ask Aaron Swartz. Oh wait, you can't, because he killed himself when faced with such ridiculous charges.

He was threatened, he wasn't actually punished with that. Major diff.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
97. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:49 Cutter

Flatline wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 15:38:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:49:
No, you paid for a pine chicken coop, and that's what's said in the contract. You can sue for breach of warranty and will win in any US courtroom.

I seriously doubt it. One thing you'd have to do is prove that oak is inferior to pine. In this literal example, you received a free upgrade, the value is objectively higher (as oak is easily provable to be a more expensive wood than pine) and arguably an oak construction is going to be intrinsically better.

Reverse the situation, where you order oak and receive pine, and you have a real situation.

But that doesn't even qualify for this. It'd be like if you ordered an oak coop, and everything but the roof was oak, but the roof was pine.

That's more of a grey area.

No, only if the carpenter couldn't get his hands on any pine, and even then he'd still need your permission to proceed otherwise the contract is invalid. It's considered "void ab initio" - 'from the beginning'. Have you guys never signed a contract with anyone for anything? That's why it's called a contract. You can't agree to something then just go around changing it however you like. Contracts are very specific for good reason.

95. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:45 Cutter

Stop listening to that jackass troll, Beamer. That's all he's doing is trolling you guys. It's very obviously fraud to anyone with half-a-brain.

18 U.S. Code ž 1341 - Frauds and swindles

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported, transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency (as those terms are defined in section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122)), or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

And in this case, it's actually interstate wirefraud.

And yes, you do have access to legal remedy through small claims and civil court - as well as consumer protection agencies through your various federal/state/provincial governments. And yes, you can not only recoup your money but punitive damages as well. I should know, I've successfully sued a few people in my time, and I'm the guy who represents myself in court all the time. Law isn't hard, it's just boring.

As I stated earlier, fact is he's counting on most people will never go that far, probably won't even dispute it with their CC company. That's what conmen do.

92. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:35 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:12:
Do you not understand concepts like principles?
Yeah it is too bad it doesn't work the other way around. They actually deliver more content than what was promised in the kickstarter campaign but noone got upset about that, you have to log in to their server to play the game and everyone wants to burn Braben in hell fire.
I know it is upsetting that they cut something so important to some people but I mean realistically they've had to have some sort of DRM and Braben also mentioned in his letter that they were trying to make this offline mode work until the last minute which is why they did not want to upset people.
This can sound like BS for most people but up until this point Braben and studio didn't give me the vibe that they are bullshitters.
The man behind that other space game however, well

Meat, one thing has nothing to do with the other. This was a key promise and obviously one of the most important ones for a lot of people. They would not have given him money otherwise. If you bought the product specifically because you wanted offline solo play then no, it's not cool that it's no longer there and he owes people their money back, period. He could add a cupon for a free lapdance at your local peeler joint but that still doesn't satisfy those who bought it for a specific promise that he reneged on.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2014, 13:16 Cutter

Does anyone here smoke sausage? Kielbassa and the like?

And ugh, hope this week is better in the football pool. Only consolation for last week was everyone else had a bad one too.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2014, 13:14 Cutter

What happens to kids who shoplift a candybar?

39. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 13:12 Cutter

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:43:
if you've been playing already, then you've been playing in an online-only way. therefore nothing will be different to you upon launch.

server code will be released if they ever shut down servers.

only furthering this being the biggest kicking and screaming party of the year.

Do you not understand concepts like principles? That most people don't like being lied to? Particularly when there's money involved - and the amount is irrelevant. A man who doesn't keep his word isn't a man. Hey Sully, he lied. Even if they had honestly intended it at the beginning, you can't say they didn't know for a long time now. And that means they've been intentionally misleading people to bring in money. Not only is it immoral, it's illegal.

25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:46 Cutter

Armengar wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:28:
Kickstarter is sold as seen subject to change so no surprise there then. Doesn't stop it being a shitty thing to do close to launch. Good job i wasn't daft enough to KS it.

It will also be interesting to see if people give it the same shoeing D3 go.

Subject to change is limited and minimal. It generally applies to things outside of your control. If you're selling white widgets and the main supplier who makes the white part for it goes out of business, that's beyond your control. So if you can provide the same product - albeit a different colour, then you've still at least done your best to fufill the terms of the contract and a court would likely find in your favour.

You cannot, however, make major claims only to pull them later. If I say I'm selling a watch that's also a time machine and then when it's ready to launch I mention, 'Oh btw, the time machine part wasn't possible so sorry.' Then I'm in breach of contract and in an actionable position.

Funny thing I was actually at a couple of business symposiums yesterday pertaining to intellectual property - copyright, trademarks, and various patents, of which I never realized that industrial design patents are so cool, and one for contract law. I had actually brought this very example up to which the lawyer just laughed and shook his head saying they had just screwed themselves.

21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:38 Cutter

garrywong wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 11:39:
I don't understand the reasoning behind the "If you've been playing the game as it is now, you are not allowed to expect that it would have had single player offline mode at some point in the future".

Why not? What if I bought the alpha with the full expectation (because they said it will) that it would at some point have offline singleplayer, and now they pull the rug from under me?

The reasoning is they're trying to screw people out of their money. Probably a good percentage of people who want refunds won't bother even disputing the charge with their CC company, much less pursuing any further legal remedy, and that's what they're counting on.

20. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:35 Cutter

Annnnnd here come the inevitble lawsuits. Just a mind-boggling stupid move. Before the dust settles on this I suspect this will go down as one of the all-time classic business blunders. Not only did he lie/breach contract, but he's only offering partial refunds? Oh he's so screwed. And he's just burned all his bridges in the process. Best of luck in your next career outside of gaming, Dave.

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
30. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 20, 2014, 02:59 Cutter

.Drifter wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 02:13:
Endo wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 22:50:
Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad.

Yes it does.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:50 Cutter

mag wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 10:25:
That'd be funny, a tranny with a tranny problem.

And I really like Ken. Black Rain is still one of my fave flicks. It just oozes style.

Ugh, was up until 4AM with DAI. Gotta admit, I'm duly impressed so far, and it really is friggin gorgeous.

Also, that version of 'tranny' is a slur. I know, I know, PC police. But just for your edification.

Are you a transvestite? And even if you are do you speak for all of them? Are you their king...er, queen? Thanks but I really don't care about what other people consider PC. In fact, the more PC they get, the more reactionary the rest of us get.

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2014, 16:47 Cutter

The idea of ride sharing is great, but yeah there needs to be some serious regulations put in place.  

19146 Comments. 958 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo