Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 20467 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 13, 2015, 19:08 Cutter

And when the Apple watch fails what will be the excuse the fanboys use then?

“That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 13, 2015, 19:04 Cutter

Why do people give a rats ass about that ship? It was so representative of the evilness of classism. There was nothing romantic about it. I'd much rather play a Poseidon Adventure game.

“That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!”

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2015, 19:01 Cutter

I bought AI on GMG yesterday for $13, but it appears it's over today. Anyway, it's pretty fudging scary so don't worry about it. Man, I had to switch it off after an hour because I was getting totes freaked out!
I think Ima go sit and cry in the corner for a bit. Bigcry

News Comments > Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Delayed
3. Re: Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Delayed Mar 13, 2015, 18:53 Cutter

Phew, for a moment there I thought this was PE for some reason and I was about to go *OFF*!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2015, 16:13 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 13:56:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:49:

And whilst that Assemblyman's bill is reaching the intent is good. We have to be way more careful with GMOs than we currently are. A lot of it is already biting us in the ass and that will only get progressively worse. The fact that Obama has effectively put Monsanto and Cargill in charge of the USDA only makes it worse.

No one will argue with you that Monsanto and Cargill are literally evil corporations, but GMOs in and of themselves are not necessarily harmful. All the food you eat is genetically modified, whether via selective breeding or more modern techniques. Go find some "natural" corn, then compare it to store bought corn, if you really want to feel bad about eating something.

The verdict isn't in yet on if GMOs are safe for human consumption. All the evidence I've seen in favour of it comes down on the side of the corporations profiting from it - much like the anti-climate hucksters. Creating hybrids isn't the same as modifying plant DNA with insect DNA.

And what's not up for dispute is that the sort of monoculture GMOs produce is most definitely dangerous to multiple ecosystems. Something native varieties have had millions of years to adapt to, and do a far better job of without the need to be drowned in poisons. I've been studying permaculture, forest gardens, etc. for a lot of years now and I'll take those systems over GMOs any day of the week. If you trust Monsanto and Cargill's Frankenfoods all I can say is good luck to you.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2015, 12:42 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:30:
A black hole is not really absent, nor is it really a hole.

(Sorry to nitpick Verno, slow day at work I guess )

Especially the one around Uranus!

Ba-doom-bing!
Drummer

Hey! thank you very much I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2015, 10:49 Cutter

I am firmly in the 13 is unlucky camp.

However I do agree that Three is a Magic Number

And whilst that Assemblyman's bill is reaching the intent is good. We have to be way more careful with GMOs than we currently are. A lot of it is already biting us in the ass and that will only get progressively worse. The fact that Obama has effectively put Monsanto and Cargill in charge of the USDA only makes it worse.

News Comments > Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships
5. Re: Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships Mar 13, 2015, 10:36 Cutter

It's because morons were expecting a full Civ game for 15 bucks, duh.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 13, 2015, 10:30 Cutter

So the FTC has to sue on behalf of consumers...yet again. Here's a better idea, revoke their corporate charter and put them out of business entirely. Or write into law that any offenses like this means they're on the hook to each and every customer for triple the total amount they fleeced out of them.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 12, 2015, 20:32 Cutter

Yes that was sweet.

And yes that sad.

And yes AI is scary. I already had to sit in the corner and have a good cry.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 12, 2015, 20:28 Cutter

Loved AC. Would love a new one.

And ageism is rampant across all industries and has been for a long time. There's nothing new to this. It's the reason why most people from 40 onward really don't have a whole lot of choice but to go into business for themselves.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 12, 2015, 20:19 Cutter

Good for you America! About darn time!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 12, 2015, 20:14 Cutter

So what good is the FCC in that case?

And really? The Swatch guy thinks Apple is going to be selling 20-30 million watches every year. Uh yeah, I'll have some of whatever he's high on. I'm firmly in the camp that they're going to tank.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2015, 20:10 Cutter

No, he's just a regular liar. Man, after reading that I'm glad I didn't give that grifter my money.

News Comments > Three Steam Free Weekends
3. Re: Three Steam Free Weekends Mar 12, 2015, 20:00 Cutter

I disagree Spanx. I found Guerilla to be really shallow and repetitive. Drive to place A and destroy buildings. Drive to point B and destroy buildings. Repeat ad nauseum. It wasn't bad, just fairly meh. It could have been heaps better.

News Comments > Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships
1. Re: Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships Mar 12, 2015, 19:56 Cutter

$11 at GMG. Totes worth it.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
13. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 12, 2015, 19:54 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 19:45:
Icewind wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 19:40:
Does this one have a real singleplayer campaign? No?

Yeah, pass.

UT doesn't have a single player campaign either. Did you pass on all of those?

UT was completely moddable, had custom maps - even the default maps kicked ass - and had player-run servers. In fact it was its modability and the mods that made it great. Hook? Threewave CTF? Quake, CS, et al. all the same. Games like CoD, BF, Titfall, etc. have none of those things so they're not worth playing, much less buying.

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
29. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 17:48 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 16:11:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:13:
dubfanatic wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:18:
I don't know why games cost so much more in EU and AUS than in USA (my guess is it's to cover the cost of operating in those regions) but games are cheap in SE Asia because piracy is rampant. Those price points were never supposed to be in effect for first-world consumers. You can try to rationalize it as much as you want, but exploiting those regional differences is really not much better than piracy.

What an asinine assertion. You know why milk is so expensive? Because the price is predicated on what we can pay, not how much of it there is. Same with maple syrup, gas, etc. Pricing boards set prices based on their inventory vs. what we can pay. It's legalized collusion to keep prices artificially high. This is no different. As evidenced by the sales, and profits, of these companies they can very easily sell their product for less - and would as it should happen in an actual real free market. And when they don't that's what leads to actual real piracy and black markets.

Why the hell should we be allowed to be gouged? If they have the right to do it then we should at least possess the right to take our consumer dollars somewhere else for a better deal. Hell, people who live on border towns do it all the time and there's nothing illegal about that. So why should this be any different. No, the only thing this proves is there is a real need to find an alternative Steam now. This is a policy predicated solely on protecting their profits and it's entirely anti-consumer. This is the problem with monopolies.

It's a bad analogy to compare physical good like milk to digital ones. You can't ship milk instantly across the world, and you can't illegally make endless copies of it. Also, the rules of supply and demand kind of go out the window a bit, because there's an endless supply. Also, each game is its own mini-monopoly. There's only one Civ 5. I can go play the similar GalCiv, but it's not the same. Games are expensive to make, and I don't blame them for trying to recoup what each market will bear, in each market.

That makes it an even worse argument because they're not even creating and moving a physical product. And don't give me that expense excuse BS either when these guys are making billions in profits.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
93. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:46 Cutter

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 17:31:
IMO, the only way to make a game of this scope manageable is to have a considerable procedural component. I think Elite does it masterfully.

The scope of SC is just ludicrous. If you seriously need 100gb patches then you failed. Code should never be that large compressed. This obviously means BS like assets and cutscenes are being pushed in updates.

If these truly are "module" then they should be able to work independently and synchronize with a centralized system... that way update could also be modular. I build and design large scale systems, we call this vertically scaling systems. That means everything scales in one huge beast. Something like this needs to be horizontally scaling, each module needs to work independently and gather state from another system.

I'm almost certain this is what Elite does, it has Redis packaged so it's obviously doing some kind of data caching or state management to handle the BILLIONS of star systems that are in the game.

Sir,

I am intrigued by your response and am considering subscribing to your newsletter.

Thenk Yew.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2015, 15:00 Cutter

In less sad news, Alien Isolation is on sale at GMG for $17. And with the 'kewpon' they're running atm it brings it down to $13 - so I finally jumped on it at this point given how many people seem to like it.

I also gave Sid's Starships a whirl and while it's definitely a tablet game, it's a good little timewaster when you want something light and easy. Definitely worth the $11 you can pay for it on GMG right now.

20467 Comments. 1024 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo