Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 17745 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
16. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 22:38 Cutter

Nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015
9. Re: Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015 Jul 22, 2014, 22:31 Cutter

We are doing all of this for one reason...so we don't get sued by our shareholders again.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 10:53 Cutter

So, what they're really saying isn't they haven't actually killed anyone. For all of us that grew up with Bugs Bunny cartoons, show of hands how many people have dropped anvils on people's heads.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jul 21, 2014, 22:53 Cutter

Well if he was lucky it would have never happened to begin with. And not a single person stopped to help? Even check on him. Remind me never to go China. That's fucking cold, man.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 21, 2014, 22:49 Cutter

No, people are very clearly rejecting wearable tech. It's entirely impractical. There may be some practical use for them for cops, military, doctors, but for most people they're cute toys and nothing more.

Voice and gesture controls replacing keyboards and mice? Yeah, take another hit on the crackpipe. Uh, guess why MS just got rid of the Kinect. People don't like jumping up and down and performing like a mime. A kbm does it better and faster.

What a joke of an article.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 21, 2014, 22:41 Cutter

Of course he's right. He's almost always right. He's a hell of a guy and a sharp dresser to boot. Christ, did people really have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads and think millions of people would be tuning in? Jesus, it never ceases to amaze me how many people are just so clearly out of touch with reality and only view it through a full time reality distortion field. Boggles. The. Mind. There is no goddamned spoon, people. And the cake is in fact a big goddamned lie.

Plug

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2014, 22:34 Cutter

Oh Jesus, these Polygon articles man. I swear to fuck. Rolleyes Yeah, because there are no evil mentally ill people in the world - apart from the fact those are the fuckers that run this planet. Does their PC whining never end? Why the fuck do they even play games? Denis Leary said it best....

"Shut the fuck up, alright? That's the name of my new book, "Shut the Fuck Up, by Doctor Denis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy."

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 21, 2014, 22:26 Cutter

A leave of absences isn't a retirement.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
9. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 21, 2014, 22:13 Cutter

And? So what are they going to do now? What, in fact, have they ever done to begin with?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 17:42 Cutter

KilgoreTrout wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 06:22:
The fact that your corner of the world (the U.S.) may have peaked and is currently faced with great challenges doesn't mean that the world at large is not improving. Have you seen the statistics on global poverty, infant mortality, access to health care, nutrition, violent conflict deaths and average life spans? They have been going firmly in the right direction for the last 50 years and show no signs of suddenly reversing.

Are there great challenges ahead? Sure. There have always been. But I believe we are better equipped than ever to deal with them, because of science and technology.

Cutter, you have so far made zero fact-based claims to support your position, just the usual "look, everything is bad and getting worse and you are blind not to see it" that disillusioned people have been saying forever. I think you need to look at the world and see that life is improving for the vast majority of people, even though it might not be for you and/or where you are.

I just provided you with a pile of facts. The rest you can search for yourself. But you won't because then you'd have to admit you're wrong. And fact is you've never been right about anything, ever. Global poverty is increasing, and longevity is only going to make that worse. As resources dwindle conflict arises. Jesus, how dumb are you not to be able to grasp that simple fact. I wish I could go through life in a little fantasy bubble like yours because it sure sounds nice.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 12:39 Cutter

Reminds me of a documentary I once saw on the flooded mangroves in SA. Poor little birds trying their first flight plunge below into the mouths of the waiting cayman.

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
9. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 12:36 Cutter

walrus1 wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 12:31:
The fact that KS hasn't pulled this very obvious scam by now is pretty unforgivable. That more then anything makes me not want to back anything on KS.

Exactly. Like I said yesterday, they're like a pimp, they don't care if people get burned so long as they get their money. That's not a company worth supporting.

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
17. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 12:35 Cutter

Terrible game in every aspect so this is no surprise. I played for an hour before I uninstalled it. I think I threw up in my mouth a little while playing it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 23:28 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 23:10:
KilgoreTrout wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 22:06:
Cutter, the world is not getting worse. In general it is getting a lot better (though maybe not for you personally). Less violence, less disease, less poverty, more democracy. Have a look at "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, a very well-researched book about how (contrary to popular belief) we actually live in the least violent period since the dawn of humanity. Even the world wars were not that bad compared to many historical conflicts (in proportion to population).

I don't buy the general doom & gloom scenario, with the possible exception of global catastrophes like an asteroid hit. People have been saying that the world is going to hell in a handbasket since hell and handbaskets were invented, but it is just not the case.

exactly right man. i didn't wanna pick on cutter specifically, but his gloom'n doom pessimism really is not borne out in the least by reality.

Is there a name for this little fantasy world you guys live in? This is one of the advantages of having studied history and poli sci in university, I see the world as it really is. And I can see where its headed based on past performance. People like you guys are engaged in nothing more than wishful thinking hoping everything will be ok.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 23:25 Cutter

KilgoreTrout wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 22:06:
Cutter, the world is not getting worse. In general it is getting a lot better (though maybe not for you personally). Less violence, less disease, less poverty, more democracy. Have a look at "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, a very well-researched book about how (contrary to popular belief) we actually live in the least violent period since the dawn of humanity. Even the world wars were not that bad compared to many historical conflicts (in proportion to population).

I don't buy the general doom & gloom scenario, with the possible exception of global catastrophes like an asteroid hit. People have been saying that the world is going to hell in a handbasket since hell and handbaskets were invented, but it is just not the case.

In what alternative universe is this the case? Conflict is rising all over the globe. Global warming, pollution, energy depletion, dying ecosystems. All getting worse. We have much less democracy now and we're losing more all the time - Patriot Act, NSA etc.. 85% of all legislation is written by corporations. The people running government are all lawyers and corporate executives doing it for the benefit of said corporations. We know things are in fact getting worse because they're quantifiable and recorded. Did you know that the minimum wage has only grown 1 cent - when indexed for inflation - since 1975? Google the phrase "middle class squeeze". Since 1950 we've been losing ground - and it really took off under Reagan. We've been losing earnings and buying power for decades now. Wages have not only stalled over the last 30 years, we've lost ground. Most of the middle class is shifting towards poor. And it's only getting worse. So enjoy those rose colored glasses buddy, because when you wake up one day 20 years from now and the world has gone to hell in that handbasket you'll wish you wouldn't have been so easily duped and done more about it. But of course, it'll be too late by then.

Edit: And reading the criticisms of Pinker's book that only substantiates my position. It's a pop-science book long on hypothesis and short on actual real facts. Thanks for coming out anyway, Scooter.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2014, 23:34.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 18:25 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 18:13:
count me in with the optimists in blue's camp. in a hundred years i'm hoping we'll have an offworld colony, and possibly a ship on it's way to another star.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies? A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure?

Yeah, well good luck with that. All you have to do is look at the world today and where we're headed. The future is dystopian and that's very much sooner than later. I suspect that within the next 50 years governments will be reduced to figurehead status and a few megacorps will be in absolute control. Withing the next century, I really believe it'll be a William Gibsonesque world - Syndicate/Bladerunner/et al. Corporations basically run all governments now as it is. The rest is just window dressing to provide people with the illusion of freedom. That's the one line I always loved from Thunderheart....

"We choose the right to be who we are. We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom. There is a way to live with the earth and a way not to live with the earth. We choose the way of earth. It's about power, Ray." - Jimmy Looks Twice

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 18:16 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:58:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:47:
DayZ is the current meme, like Minecraft was. It's the in thing to buy atm.

I don't think you understand what a meme is. Minecraft is still super popular, btw. Nothing past tense about it. They've sold about 54 million copies thus far and are still going strong. If Minecraft were available on Steam, it would probably be the top seller.

Sigh, why am I the only person around here who understands sociological concepts like what a meme is?

A meme (/&#712;mi&#720;m/ meem)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[3]

Does that help clarify it for you? Allow me to simplify. Little Johnny here's of a 'kewl' product or service that's getting popular. And like most of societies mouth breathers Little Johnny lacks the self-esteem to buck trends. So rather than risk social isolation he jumps on the bandwagon. Now Little Johnny is part of the "in-crowd", and his other little pea-brain pals have to join in or they risk being ostracized as well. See how that works?

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
21. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:04 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:55:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:38:
What a shit show. This sort of shit is precisely why I'm done with KS. KS doesn't care and won't take any responsibility because they want their cut. They're like pimps and no one should support pimps.

You could just avoid shady Kickstarters and support the ones worth supporting. For every Areal, there's ten Kickstarters that turn out well.

True enough. I should say I won't be bothering with games Kickstarters anymore. Most seem to be either scams or from people that can afford to bankroll them themselves but don't want to risk their own money. There are people doing other things that are definitely worthy of backing. Here's one...

Smash Cup!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 14:54 Cutter

Mankind has no long term future. We're doomed sooner rather than later. We're simply too stupid, greedy and atavistic to make it in the long run. Even the dinosaurs will have had a better run at it. Even if we managed to colonize other planets we'd just be exporting the same problems and issues as we have now. When you live on a planet where people allow all the sociopaths to run most of it there isn't much hope things will ever get better.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2014, 14:50 Cutter

And what did LoL do during all of this? Nothing obviously.

17745 Comments. 888 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo