Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 18239 (Ninja)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Avernum 2: Crystal Souls Announced
1. Re: Avernum 2: Crystal Souls Announced Sep 3, 2014, 21:53 Cutter

Vogel really needs to learn to use Unity and actually hire a few real artists.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month
19. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 18:36 Cutter

Atomic wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 17:35:
Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 16:04:
Atomic wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 14:14:
Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:45:
Yeah, so how many actual units have been sold? Anyone can ship a bazillion copies of anything.

Drink your lunch again? It says "sold-in more than 8 million units" in the first sentence.

Well aren't you a clever boy. So clever that you don't even realize that sold-in is just a cute marketing term meaning shipped and not actual sales purchased by consumers. Or were you incapable of comprehending that from my original question?

I was just teasing you, but I guess it's true what they say about poking a bear with a stick. But now that you mention it, I've never heard of "sold-in" being used to refer to "shipped" and I've been in the retail/wholesale/distribution industry for over 20 years. So that usage is not exactly common. If you are intent on educating me, I love a source of that usage that I can review.

Sorry, it's hard to read intent, even with the emoticon.

Anyway from the Oxford dictionary. You can look it up in some marketing lexicons and other places as well if you're so inclined.

Definition of sell-in in English:
sell-in
Line breaks: sell-in
noun
[mass noun]
The sale of goods to retail traders prior to public retailing: the product must be available for sell-in and shipment before the movie’s release [count noun]: a highly successful sell-in

So 8 million units aren't the number of actual purchases by consumers, it's what Ubisoft has shipped worldwide. I'd imagine the actual purchases to be substantially less than that. Probably 2-3 million. Nothing to sneeze at I'll grant you, but these cute little marketing phrases are disingenuous at best.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. removed Sep 3, 2014, 16:09 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 3, 2014, 20:02.

14. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 16:04 Cutter

Atomic wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 14:14:
Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:45:
Yeah, so how many actual units have been sold? Anyone can ship a bazillion copies of anything.

Drink your lunch again? It says "sold-in more than 8 million units" in the first sentence.

Well aren't you a clever boy. So clever that you don't even realize that sold-in is just a cute marketing term meaning shipped and not actual sales purchased by consumers. Or were you incapable of comprehending that from my original question?

News Comments > EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO
22. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 13:49 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:38:
harlock wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:09:
Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 11:03:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

haha what a fucking joke..

do you enjoy not having bird shit mixed into your coffee? someone from the legal dept likely made the decision for them to do that. lawyers are the best

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

Creston - that's fair enough. I see it as inevitable when businesses get this big but they don't have to suck as badly as EA's previous marketing efforts. It would be kind of nice if the big businesses all left gaming but I don't hold that specifically against EA (although there are plenty of things I do hold against EA and many of them relate to their size).

No he's defending them. Creston is right and Beamer is trolling as usual. Don't feed the trolls.

3. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 13:45 Cutter

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2014, 11:24 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 09:52:
Hang on is that story from Maryland real???? Everyone needs to read it because, just because. Read it. Now.

And? The guy sounds like a whackadoo. In which case the State can order a psychiatric evaluation. That's nothing new. They can also force you to take meds as well. And in the case where people who represent a very possible threat to society at large I view that as a good thing. Too bad they didn't get to all these other lunatics before they went on their killing rampages.

9. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 11:14 Cutter

Pigeon wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 10:09:
InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 10:00:
Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 09:44:
They believe that marketing is more important than the product itself.

In a sentence, this is basically the biggest problem in gaming today.

It's the biggest problem with a lot of industries. Why bother creating a better product when all you have to do is convince people the product is better.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
- Buckminster Fuller

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2014, 10:12 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 00:58:
Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 23:23:
The judge's original July ruling endorsed the US government's position that it should be able to access the world's servers. "It is a question of control, not a question of the location of that information," Preska ruled.

That's both reasonable and rationale. I have to say, I agree with that. Just because MS has something stashed away in another country, they are the ones that are controlling it and they are ultimately a US company subject to US law - in theory at any rate.

Except they are also subject to the laws where the data resides and in this case obeying US law would mean violating European law.

No, because it's a copy. By your rationale they could commit data crimes in the US, move them to a server overseas and get away with it. The fact is they control the data. If they call or email their center in Ireland and tell them to do whatever with it, it'll be done. So they control it, the location of server is irrelevant. What if it were in space? The US government isn't trespassing on Irish property. They're telling an American company to relinquish a piece of potential criminal evidence. And MS should comply, but they're not because they only care about money.

News Comments > Early Access Release Unreleased
7. Re: Early Access Release Unreleased Sep 3, 2014, 10:08 Cutter

Squirmer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 23:03:
Except for every failure there's a success. The model does work in many cases, so it's more likely people will learn to be more discerning and not throw their money at anything with a cool title. The Steam reviews help a lot with this, even if they require a few people to get burned. As people become more discerning, the onus will fall on developers to ensure they have something worth paying for.

No there's not. You better start looking at some stats. Failed projects/scams outweigh good/finished projects by a wide margin and it's only getting worse.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 3, 2014, 09:52 Cutter

What do you mean maybe? There's no maybe about it. Wow, the sheer size and scope of their greed is just breathtaking.

News Comments > The Carbon Footprint of Games Distribution
1. Re: The Carbon Footprint of Games Distribution Sep 3, 2014, 09:49 Cutter

I call bullshit on this one. So having a master shipped to a production facility in China, having all the assets produced than shipped here via tanker, then train and truck is more green than me downloading a file from across the country? And it says nothing of the waste that has to be picked up and removed for recycling or landfill. Bullshit.

2. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 09:44 Cutter

Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 09:33:
Only EA would pretend that a fucking marketing officer actually brings any kind of meaning to a game.

Yep, that's the problem in a nutshell. They believe that marketing is more important than the product itself.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2014, 23:23 Cutter

The judge's original July ruling endorsed the US government's position that it should be able to access the world's servers. "It is a question of control, not a question of the location of that information," Preska ruled.

That's both reasonable and rationale. I have to say, I agree with that. Just because MS has something stashed away in another country, they are the ones that are controlling it and they are ultimately a US company subject to US law - in theory at any rate.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Sep 2, 2014, 23:00 Cutter

This sort of stuff never happens in the US because mofos get shot.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 2, 2014, 22:51 Cutter

Yeah, can't say Density has even crossed my mind.

Edit: Oh wait. That was a Big Lebowski reference, wasn't it?

News Comments > Early Access Release Unreleased
4. Re: Early Access Release Unreleased Sep 2, 2014, 22:43 Cutter

Well, thats because a lot of gamers are kids who have never been burned by anyone before. Ask the metric shit ton of people out there who learned the hard way that you don't give contractors money until the job is done. Just watching Mike Holmes the other day talking about this and he brought up a story about one couple who gave a contractor 230 grand up front...and never heard from him again.

Much like the failures with crowd-sourcing, EA will peter off in time as people finally get it.

News Comments > SSI-Inspired Seven Dragon Saga Announced
6. Re: SSI-Inspired Seven Dragon Saga Announced Sep 2, 2014, 22:22 Cutter

Even if this is 8 bit I'm still in.

Much like Ed Grimley I feel like The Fella' Who Couldn't Wait for Christmas.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2014, 17:32 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:08:
love how the bulldogs in that article look so much healthier than today's versions. also, would be nice if they did some basic fact checking. 'f-15 mustang' heh.

45 peeps in the pickem league wow. do you guys always pick the favorite or do you try to guess an upset now and then?

I usually go by gut and some common sense - XYZ is hurt on Team A so that doesn't look good for them. Like Blue, with the Giants I always pick the Packers, except this year. This year I'm going to experiment like I was a professional gambler and had a lot riding on each game. This year it'll be all picks with my head. Even this first round as an example I took the Seahawks over the Pack.

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
31. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 17:30 Cutter

Overon wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 17:25:
Has anyone noticed that when someone complains and one does not agree with the complaint, it's characterized as "whining". It's only "whining" when you disagree. I have a different perspective. I'm tired of the drama as well. However, just because I'm tired of it, and doesn't and shouldn't prevent others from talking about it. Just as I would not want to stop people from describing complaints they do not like as "whining," I don't want to stop the people who are complaining either. I say my approach is pretty even handed. The way you fight bad speech is with more speech.

No, there's a difference between a legitimate gripe and whining. There's been far too much whining from a lot of no-name, supposed, game developers of late. Do you hear Spector, Meir, etc. bitching? No. No one is forcing them to do the work that they do or even interact with the public. Yet they do, and they constantly piss and moan about it. Oh poor them, they're so hard done by. Fuck them and the whiny nags they rode in on. I see a lot of Mexican migrant workers around where I live. These guys work like dogs for peanuts and you don't hear a peep out of them. So fuck these self-entitled assholes. Don't like it, go do something else.

18239 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo