Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Todd

Real Name Todd   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Medwynd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 20, 2006, 21:33
Total Comments 23 (Suspect)
User ID 25100

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
14. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 15:06 Medwynd

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 13:54:
Timmeh wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 13:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 12:05:
Christ, if we are going to get news every-time this game is going to be patched, might as well rename the site StarCitizenNews.com.

Being that the site is "bluesnews" I think Blue is free to post whatever the hell he thinks is news. especially if its something major going on in the PC space.

Go make your own site and post whatever the hell you want.

oh yeah.. the obligatory :-)

Yeah but I don't think you really understand what smiley at the end means.... SARCASM. However I could forsee it getting out of hand with this one. But at this time, sarcasm. Go look up internet rulebook.

After reading more comments... I suggest a few more go look up how this all works. I could smiley or /sarcasm at the end.

Clearly you don't understand what a smiley at the end means.

It means "this is how I really feel but since I will sound like a douche for saying it I can just put a smiley on the end and no one can call me out"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
26. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 14:42 Medwynd

CrimsonPaw wrote on May 23, 2014, 10:10:
<hate>Ugh, this game is going to be the worst because the PC wasn't the lead platform. Sucks that it's coming to consoles and that they probably had to dumb it down.</hate>

Looking forward to playing this on PS4 but wanted to get the inevitable console hate started for everyone.

I don't know why people are saying this is going to be a horrible pc port and such. According to UBI, the PC was the lead platform and consoles are the ports.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has revealed that the promising open-world hack-em-up Watch Dogs is being developed using PC as the lead platform. In an interview with Dutch site Inside Gamer, Guillemot explained how, for once, its the consoles that are on the receiving end of the port process. Id joke about PS4 owners being forced to deal with incomprehensible QTEs asking them to press LMB, but Im not bitter.

So whats the benefit of leading with PC over consoles? We expect fewer problems with porting games to the PS4 than the PS3, which had a completely different infrastructure, Guillemot said. Previously, we developed games first on the Xbox 360 and then translated them onto the PS3. It took a lot of time and money to port.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/27/watch-dogs-is-targeting-pc-as-lead-platform/

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter
17. Re: Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter Feb 11, 2014, 14:14 Medwynd

No real point in backing now that the cheap tiers are taken. I'll just wait till it goes on Steam sale or till near the end of the KS drive to see how it pans out.  

News Comments > Jumpgate Lives
3. Re: Jumpgate Lives Jan 13, 2014, 14:08 Medwynd

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:22:
The game no one asked for or wanted. This is why some people shouldn't be in this business. Talk about ego.

"Jumpgate TRI is a community effort"

What part of "community effort" did you miss? Looking around their website this seems to be all community organized.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Dec 4, 2013, 11:20 Medwynd

ldonyo wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 10:57:
Valve's policy is no different than any other outlet's return policy on software. Try asking EA for a refund on an Origin purchase and see how far you get. Try taking software back to a brick and mortar store for a refund after you've opened it and see what happens. Picking on Valve for the sake of picking on Valve is just plain childish.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Origin/EA has a pretty decent return policy.

https://help.ea.com/article/returns-and-cancellations

EDIT: Removed their physical return policy since it is pretty much the same as the brick and mortar stores, which is you open it you are stuck with it

What is your refund policy for PC digital downloads?
For PC digital downloads, we've introduced the Great Game Guarantee.

The Great Game Guarantee allows you to return EA digital game downloads (PC/Mac) purchased on Origin for a full refund within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-purchased/pre-ordered, whichever comes first.

The Great Game Guarantee help article has information on how to request a refund. For full details, see the Origin Great Game Guarantee Policy.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2013, 11:28.

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
75. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:39 Medwynd

The one point people keep making is that Sony some how cares about their customers and MS doesn't. Both companies care about what gets them the most sales, period. MS got the word that people were not onboard with their new system and changed it. Either way they get lambasted. They change and people complain, they give them what they want and people complain.

I just know to automatically stop reading a post when someone posts something childish by using m$ or XBone, all it does is show their lack of ability to piece together a coherent thought.

71. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:36 Medwynd

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:26:
Medwynd wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:14:
I don't rent games, I don't loan my games out, I don't buy used games, I don't trade in my games, and these seem to be the things people disliked about the drm system the most.

This is perfectly reasonable (okay maybe not the 4 decades of hating a company) but as we've seen with DRM on the PC, these sorts of things usually end up hurting people that they were never intended to affect. SecuROM, etc. and always online schemes greatly diminished the PC as a platform and ALWAYS affect legitimate users who have good connections and paid. See PC Microsoft LIVE, UPlay on AC2, and Diablo3 for recent examples.

Oh, don't misunderstand me, I tried to be clear. I don't hate their company, if they made something I liked I would buy it, I just haven't been compelled by any of their offerings and always purchased something I felt better suited what I needed or felt was better quality.

I've tried many of their products, including the PS4 at E3, and just didn't feel it was better. To be honest, the PS4 and XBox One felt very similar in gameplay, so they didn't really give me any compelling reason to switch to a foreign ecosystem.

60. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:14 Medwynd

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't really care about most of this stuff and doesn't really understand the hate being slung out there.

I don't rent games, I don't loan my games out, I don't buy used games, I don't trade in my games, and these seem to be the things people disliked about the drm system the most.

I am also not a fan of drm, I only buy physical copies of games if I can, yes I realize those have drm as well, and try to avoid digital downloads. My XBox sits on the shelf always connected to the internet anyway, so it wouldn't have changed the way I use the console.

I pretty much use MS for everything, for development, for entertainment, for my phones, for my pc, not because I am a fanboy as people will probably say, but because their hardware and software does everything I need it to do. I'm not claiming they are perfect for every situation, but they do just about everything I need them to do. If they didn't I would use something else, simple as that.

I hope they will have a setting in the options to disable the Kinect as I don't really have a need for it.

I have never purchased Sony hardware in almost 40 years now because I don't like it. I have used a lot of their hardware before and it just feels cheap. Speaking to the PS specifically, the controllers are simply too small for my large hands. I also much prefer XBox Live to the PS implementation of it.

I would have liked backwards compatibility but I had no delusions and expected that it probably wasn't going to happen. The one thing I really wanted the new XBox to do was play pretty much any file format under the sun to play my movies from my home server, be it MKV containers, VOBS, what have you.

That said I will still keep my preorder for my XBox One.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I hate the idea of games using cloud computing, but both Sony and MS will be doing that. The idea that as soon as one of these companies goes out of business and the servers get shut down that I am stuck with a coaster does actually piss me off.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Details
15. Re: Borderlands 2 Details Aug 8, 2011, 14:16 Medwynd

The whole carrot of the game was getting diablo style gun loot. No one I played with cared about what the physical gun looked like.  

News Comments > EVE Online CSM Appeased
11. Re: EVE Online CSM Appeased Jul 5, 2011, 10:43 Medwynd

necrosis wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 19:56:
Shok wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 18:00:
So is the font in Eve still super tiny and not adjustable? My monitor's native resolution is 2048x1152 and Eve is unplayable without adjustable font sizes...playing at butt-ugly 1024x768 or something just isn't a solution. Maybe they have some DLC fonts now lol
A horrible problem with many games. I remember running 1600x1200 on my 21" Sony G500 when the average resolution at the time was 1024x768. God it sucked with a mess of games trying to read text.

Seams its happening all over again. Id cry consolitious if it was any other game.

I've been playing EVE at 2560x1600 for years now and have never had a problem with the fonts or anything being hard to read. I don't wear glasses or contacts, I just have normal 20/20 vision.

News Comments > On EVE Online's Future
4. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 00:07 Medwynd

They may have had nothing to show about Dust but they had plenty of other stuff to show. Just off the top of my head they showed the new turret graphics, corp/alliance logos on ships, the captains quarters, and character generation changes.  

News Comments > BFG Leaves Graphics Card Business
16. Re: BFG Leaves Graphics Card Business May 21, 2010, 01:32 Medwynd

Surf wrote on May 21, 2010, 00:19:
Smart move. The days of expensive video cards over buying a console are clearly over.

Who the fuck would pay $400+ for a vid card these days when the consoles are so inexpensive and PC makers are all bailing onto consoles.

Just like Creative Labs, why bother with a dedicated sound card when the onboard sound is more than fine?

I think consoles and pcs both have their place but ot make it sound like someone is crazy to purchase a good video card is ludicrous since obviously people do.

Your Creative Labs comparison is also flawed. While many people may not be able to tell sound from 5 years ago compared to today, I can bet almost everyone can tell the difference between the best graphics of 5 years ago and today.

I've always liked BFG cards, too bad they won't be made anymore.

News Comments > Free WAR Transfers
2. Re: Free WAR Transfers Dec 3, 2009, 05:13 Medwynd

I heard there were only 4 servers left..worldwide. Is that true? And I also heard EA took over WAR. What happend...and where is Mark Jacobs now?

5 according to the server status page
https://realmwar.warhammeronline.com/realmwar/ServerStatus.war

Yes EA took over Mythic a LONG while ago, like back in '06 sometime.

Mark left in June:
http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=841

I don't know where he landed, his blog hasn't been updated since his departure from EA/Mythic.
http://onlinegamesareanichemarket.wordpress.com/

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Sep 21, 2009, 22:05 Medwynd

I wasn't thrilled with Titan Quest when I played the demo when it came out. The fonts were horrible and it looked like you were playing Word. But for 5$ I decided to give it another try. I don't purchase games through download because I actually like having something physical in my hands to show for my hard earned money.

Now that it is downloaded and I went to play I have to activate it through D2D and it wants to install a securom installer. No thanks.

I applied for a refund and probably won't buy from there again, I'll just stick with box copies for my games.

News Comments > EVE Insider Trading Scandal
11. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 13:50 Medwynd

i find it difficult to enjoy this game, where you can't even trust your teammates (corp members) to be on your team.

People just need to pick there corps better. I think you would be hard pressed to find a game where some guild didn't screw over their guild members and take all their stuff, EVE is no different except for the fact that they can kill you which you cant in most other games.

News Comments > Champions Online Discount Subs Sold Out
10. Re: Champions Online Discount Subs Sold Out Aug 26, 2009, 11:01 Medwynd

Building and farm your way to max level with little or no effort on the players part. You could also reach Max level in as little as 1 or 2 days with never experiencing any of the content.

I haven't played it but your, what seems to be informed, take on the game certainly makes it sound boring to me.

News Comments > DUST 514, CCP's MMO Console Game
18. Re: DUST 514, CCP's MMO Console Game Aug 18, 2009, 15:28 Medwynd

Hmmm pay to play a game where i have to spend months collecting space pebbles in space for money so that i can maybe have fun if my ship dosen't get destroyed by another player's battle ship. OR go and my back yard and collect pebbles for free.

There is far more to do than mine for months before you can fly a ship. Not everything in the game is going to be fun for everyone, its a sandbox game, you get out what you put into it.

There is a great post on what is actually feasible within the first days, weeks, month of game play and its much more than mining rocks.

http://www.eve-search.com/thread/1111829/page/1

15. Re: DUST 514, CCP's MMO Console Game Aug 18, 2009, 14:51 Medwynd

To each there own, but its not my preference. I've never been a fan of the whole instant gratification thing. I find it much more satisfying to build up to something then to have it just handed to me on a silver platter. Maybe I'm just getting old heh.  

9. Re: DUST 514, CCP's MMO Console Game Aug 18, 2009, 12:07 Medwynd

and it will be a long time (months?) before I could see a top of the line ship

I hate that the idea of "months" has become a long time and that people always want everything immediately.

News Comments > Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs
43. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 15:00 Medwynd

"So this is it eh? The line in the sand? Forcing me to run a program I really don't want to or have to run (Steam) before and during the time your program is active for no good reason. No good reason for ME.

Give me Steam as an *option* and I'll buy, make me use Steam and you lose my sale...and I've purchased every Total War game since.

That's right, you've gained a new pirate boys, congratulations Creative Assembly! Treat me like a crook after all these years? You better believe I'm going to act like one."

Never bought a Valve game, eh?

No actually because I have never been a fan of their games. I have played them on some of my friends pc's before though. Then once Steam was required it was pretty much a nobrainer that I wouldn't ever be playing any of their products again.

You get the benefits of:

-Preserve the ability to buy at retail if you find a nice deal
-Toss aside the disk, never needing to worry about it again after initial activation
-No need to remember CD keys
-No messing with patches
-No CD in the drive while you're playing
-Far easier to re-install everything after a format instead of needing to swap a ton of CDs/DVDs for every single game you want to install
-Re-download everything as many times as you want, on as many computers as you want
-Integration with all of the community stuff instead of limited "add non-steam game" functionality.

But yeah, other than all that, no benefits at all!

Almost all of your points are the same thing over and over, no need to keep physical media around. I agree with some of the other posters that I enjoy keeping physical media around, including the boxes and manuals. I will not, and have not, purchased a download only game.

As for all of the community stuff as you put it, I really don't have any need for those. I don't need to wave my epeen around and say look at my stats. Plus I really only play mmo's online and very rarely a fps.

Canceling that and a pre-order of DoW 2.
Does DOW2 require steam? If so I need to go cancel mine as well.

False, all games get patches. Next.

You've obviously never bought shit on Steam. It patches games automatically. No worrying about it. No worring "damn, do I need to download 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3? Or do I just have to download 1.3?". Then you wait for it to download. Then you wait for it to install. Or...you wait 20 seconds for it to automatically download and install, and you're done.

Great so when one of the patches breaks the game I am stuck with it because Steam auto-installed it for me. How is that a plus for steam? At least manually installing my patches, like I do, I can make sure the patch works and that its even worth installing.

Patently false? Tell me - which is easier:

1) Sit at my computer for at least an hour, manually installing 5 games, one at a time, then manually patching 5 games by manually downloading patches.

2) Right-click, click "install" 5 times, walk away or go to sleep for the night, come back and everything's ready to go.

What 5 games are you installing that it takes all night to install? I guess maybe if your are installing it on a really old machine... Seems like a bit of a stretch to try to make a counterpoint.

Physical Media provides the same ability by design without restriction nor the time require to authenticate and download it. Next.

Great. Have fun with all those manual game and patch installations

I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, its not rocket science.

Yeah, whatever. I call that 'marketing' not gaming. Since all 'that' is commerce or social hour, not gaming. Web sites and forums are just spiffy and better at it.

Well now it's obviously clear that you're simply a jaded asshole with no friends to play online with. Anyone who's played Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 online with friends knows how freaking awesome all the community features are for scheduling matches, one-click joining games, communicating in-game, checking out stats, etc. But yeah, that's all "marketing", so whatever it doesn't count, right?

You make the assumption EVERYONE likes valves games. I do enjoy the Empire series but wont be married to Valve because they assume I like their games too.

As for the retards still purporting the stupidly unlikely risk of Valve shutting down and you "losing everything", it's far more likely that your precious disks will get stolen, or broken, or lost, or just plain worn down than that happening.

Umm, really its not. I have every game manual, box, and cd (and disks) for every game I have purchased in over 15 years of gaming. I have never lost one, had one stolen, or had one magically become "broken". How many game companies have closed in that time? It sounds like you just need to take better care of your stuff.

With all those responses out of the way, I won't play Empire or any other game requiring steam, but I won't pirate it either.

23 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo