Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for James Allen

Real Name James Allen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JaguarUSF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game Reviewer
Out of Eight PC Game Reviews
Homepage http://www.outofeight.info
Signed On Jun 3, 2006, 12:42
Total Comments 959 (Graduate)
User ID 24934

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield Academy
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield Academy Aug 5, 2010, 22:24 JaguarUSF

Played some today. Here's what (wot) I think so far:
- Around 30 heavily scripted scenarios (obviously haven't tried them all). Set up seems to be the same each time. More difficult when attacking.
- I like the online server PBEM matching a lot. Only seven maps with no objectives and no time limit (?) is disappointing...a lot of stalemates me thinks. Why attack when you can defend in relative safety? Guess that's why there is arty and suppression.
- Nice editor
- Some cool mechanics like assaulting, suppression, ambushes, morale, all easy to understand and clearly shown in the game.
- Cover is really well done, probably the best part of the game. Infantry can hide from tanks, only can be spotted by other infantry units, so they actually have a use for once.
- AI does some good and bad things, better as a defender.
- Gotta be really careful on the attack, suppressing places that likely are hiding enemy units. Surprise ambushes can take out a tank/inf squad in one turn.

I like it. Don't love it, but like it. Please start the Victoria II-style rage.....now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2010, 22:16 JaguarUSF

It's on my list of things to vote on when we need things to vote on, which won't be for another month at the earliest. Before then, I have reviews of Blacklight Tango Down, Victoria II, Commander: Conquest of the Americas, Razor2: Hidden Skies, Elemental: War of Magic, Battlefield Academy, Star Ruler, Worms Reloaded, and Ship Simulator Extremes to do.  

News Comments > Patrician IV Interview
15. Re: Patrician IV Interview Aug 3, 2010, 08:55 JaguarUSF

That was the sound of the Paradox forums.  

13. Re: Patrician IV Interview Aug 2, 2010, 22:08 JaguarUSF

Example time: starting a new game as Austria, #3 in the World Rankings of Awesomeness. Here's what you can do, going across the information bar (which is excellent, by the way).

PRODUCTION: nope, all of the factories are started automatically by capitalists.

BUDGET: maxed out all my sliders and lowered taxes so all groups could afford luxury goods, earning 300 pounds per day. Nothing to change here afterwards.

TECHNOLOGY: pick a tech, come back 4 years later.

POLITICS: nope, no reforms to do. Political party seems OK to me.

POPULATION: nope, all automated. Can place 2 National Foci for colonies or to nudge people towards a POP group.

TRADE: goodness, let's let the AI handle this mess.

DIPLOMACY: here's something. Spend the plentiful diplo points to change relations from negative to friendly in 12 months. Add countries to your sphere of influence, if you are a Great Power.

MILITARY: here's something else. Queue up some troops, wait for war.

So there you go. After the first ~5 minutes of setting things up, what to do? Diplomacy and wait for events or rebels or war. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2010, 22:16.

11. Re: Patrician IV Interview Aug 2, 2010, 21:25 JaguarUSF

I don't think "dumbed down" is the right term. I'm not sure what to call it. They just took a lot of things out of the player's hands, which allows for more sophisticated simulation of population dynamics and international trade, but also leaves you with less to do.  

News Comments > Gold - Victoria 2
1. Re: Gold - Victoria 2 Aug 2, 2010, 21:23 JaguarUSF

See here (in a news item about Patrician IV, of all things) for my less-than-enthusiastic impressions based on the press version.  

9. Re: Not the Patrician IV Interview, but Victoria II Aug 2, 2010, 20:01 JaguarUSF

I am being overly negative, because I was expecting a lot more, especially interaction (you know, like actually doing stuff). I gotta spend more time with the gold version, but my first impressions are usually correct.
Oh, yeah, forgot: there's only one start date.
I smell expansion.

7. Re: Not the Patrician IV Interview, but Victoria II Aug 2, 2010, 19:51 JaguarUSF

The thing is, it's not automated outright, but it really is. Allow me to explain: trade changes on a daily schedule and there are so many goods to keep track of that you have to let the AI handle it.
Research projects complete every couple of years, so you just have to mess with that once in a while.
New political policies are only allowed to be changed when there is a great demand for them, so you'll rarely have to do anything here.
All of your factory slots are filled up automatically by the capitalist POP class, which does a terrible job picking out appropriate factories for the resources your nation produces, usually only pulling a small profit and usually a deficit.
You have no direct effects on POP groups, they will migrate automatically based on your budget settings.
The budget is trivially easy to get a large daily positive balance except for unruly nations like Russia. Just set and forget.
So all you're left to do is diplomacy, which is only interesting for Great Nations (the top 8 countries) who have access to spheres of influence, and move units around in war, and do colonies. Not so great. Also, there are no missions or advisors to give you things to do as well.
Now, it's not all bad: the population sim is very detailed and the events are nice (though predictable...no way to avoid the American Civil War) and the tutorials are good and the interface is nice most of the time.
But I am quite disappointed that there isn't nearly enough to do.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2010, 19:57.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Lost Planet 2 sales 'struggled'. Aug 2, 2010, 15:28 JaguarUSF

Vulkan wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 15:18:
Capcom also blames the recession for the lower sales of its titles.

It's probably more due to Lost Planet 2 being crap.

+1

5. Re: Patrician IV Interview Aug 2, 2010, 15:26 JaguarUSF

Spoiler Alert: I have been playing Victoria II for an upcoming review, and it is disappointing. And EU3 is one of my favorite games, so...

Too much stuff is either completely automated (production, trade, population groups) or requires so little input that it's essentially automated (budget, research, politics).

I would have 10, 20, 30 years where I did nothing except start at the screen and pick an occasional research project. War makes things more interesting, but it isn't as active/constant as EU3 or HOI, obviously.

News Comments > New Trainz Simulator 2010 DLC
2. Re: New Trainz Simulator 2010 DLC Jul 30, 2010, 23:45 JaguarUSF

Rhialto wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 21:55:
Sometimes I wish MSTS2 would have not been canceled.

Didn't a lot of those guys go on to do Railworks?

News Comments > Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Interview
2. Re: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Interview Jul 28, 2010, 23:17 JaguarUSF

Too bad this game already came out 12 years ago.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Jul 28, 2010, 14:39 JaguarUSF

It will be PC Game of the Year if Activision/Blizzard buys enough ad space to make it so.

Plus, a lot of "those" sites rarely review PC games anyway.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight
3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 21:44 JaguarUSF

Same here. Once it took a while and connected to a server that wasn't the server I told it to connect to (had many less players) and it was laggy as all get out. Alphas are fuuuuuuuuuun.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Jul 25, 2010, 09:36 JaguarUSF

The WPA2 vulnerability is kinda dumb, since you have to be a member of the network first to allow others into it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2010, 14:22 JaguarUSF

It's only getting up to 92 here in Florida. But at least your winters are bitterly cold.  

3. Re: Game Reviews Jul 22, 2010, 21:37 JaguarUSF

I'm hoping Tidalis gets more players so I can dominate them in multi.  

News Comments > Paradox Games and More Steam Sales
7. Re: Paradox Games and More Steam Sales Jul 21, 2010, 09:25 JaguarUSF

I didn't think the single player additions were all that great.  

News Comments > Paradox Games and More Steam Sales
1. Re: Paradox Games and More Steam Sales Jul 20, 2010, 21:31 JaguarUSF

Paradox games are also 50% off at Impulse and Gamer's Gate.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2010, 16:03 JaguarUSF

I was actually thinking about upgrading to the Nexus One from the G1. Oh well, guess the Samsung Vibrant is the next option, eh?  

959 Comments. 48 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo